Author Topic: SkyCable HD  (Read 740391 times)

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: SkyCable HD
« Reply #2760 on: Jan 04, 2017 at 11:07 AM »
Agree. Sa news at sports channels pansin na pansin since kapag asa newsroom/commentator ang shot okay dahil wala masyado motion pero pag sa field na nagpapan ang pangit na nung quality.

In all fairness, CIGNAL has its own level of deterioration of HD video quality but SkyCable HD has made video compression so freaking bad that even my top-of-the-line 4k TV panel cannot improve the sh_tty video no matter how much adjustment I do with the MPEG NOISE CONTROL from TV settings. SKyCable HD video quality is so bad these days that it is now infuriating to watch something on a 65" screen, specially when there is MOTION and PANNING!

And here's the freakin' kicker: if you notice the deteriorated video quality of SkyCable HD channels, you would swear to God how bad SD (STANDARD DEFINITION) channels have become. In fact, as I tested, the video quality of some local digital TV broadcasts via ISDB-T receiver (like GMA7 and GNTV) significantly looks better (less artifacts) compared to the same local channels when viewed via SkyCable. Ganun kapangit!

I was hoping the SkyCable HD video deterioration was only temporary, which I started noticing towards the middle of December 2016. And now we welcome 2017, this thing persists.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017 at 02:45 PM by traveler69 »

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #2761 on: Jan 04, 2017 at 11:38 AM »
Baka they're opening up system bandwidth for more simultaneous streams (SDV means that they would have to stream all the channels being used for each node/circuit) and other services (probably broadband data).

Say they have a payload capacity of 3 Gbps per node for their QAM implementation: If they allocate half of that for data and assign 20 Mbps per channel including overhead, they'd only be able to accommodate 75 simultaneous channels for all the users on the node. If they apply some form of dynamic allocation and QoS tech, they can increase this to 150 at a time if they are willing to halt internet during times when all the users on the node are watching 150 different channels (they probably won't go this far). They have to strike a sweet spot, especially if they are growing the number of users per node (cheaper for them).

They can increase payload capacity by improving the infrastructure (lower noise / higher bandwidth system) pero malamang malaki ang capital expenditure. Magastos din for them to replace their back-end units and endpoints with h.265 units kung sakaling lilipat sila ng compression format to retain quality at a lower per stream bitrate (h.262 pa nga gamit nila ngayon). The cheapest choice is often for them to increase compression with existing tech and sacrifice quality.

Very good explanation, very plausible.

It appears that this deterioration has started around the time they rolled-out the over "90 free channels promo" back in December 2016. SkyCable obviously did something to their bandwidth to allow more channels. More channels, yeah, but video quality is sacrificed. Quantity over quality.

I personally don't like having more channels when the end result is that we get faux-HD quality. Now that's clearly a rip-off, having to pay for HD cable service and we get less than what is advertised.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017 at 11:52 AM by traveler69 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #2762 on: Jan 04, 2017 at 01:41 PM »
Very good explanation, very plausible.

It appears that this deterioration has started around the time they rolled-out the over "90 free channels promo" back in December 2016. SkyCable obviously did something to their bandwidth to allow more channels. More channels, yeah, but video quality is sacrificed. Quantity over quality.

I personally don't like having more channels when the end result is that we get faux-HD quality. Now that's clearly a rip-off, having to pay for HD cable service and we get less than what is advertised.

Their system can actually allow them to offer many high quality channels to viewers, but that'd require smaller populations per node (because they cannot allow many people watching varied channels on the same node since that'd erode available bandwidth). Since they suddenly offered many free channels, I assume they expected the same node user-count to suddenly explore less utilized channels (raising network utilization). They probably reduced the per stream bit-rate to preempt the demand. It's also the perfect season to do it as many people are busy or away (and may not notice the change). Once the promo is done, they'd have a lot of unutilized capacity to play with and sell.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2017 at 01:42 PM by Stagea »

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2763 on: Jan 04, 2017 at 02:06 PM »
That can back-fire against them.  If the free trial has lower quality feed, then it'll be a tougher sell.  If they offer something free, they should make sure it's of the highest quality, if the intent was to woo more subscribers...

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #2764 on: Jan 04, 2017 at 02:09 PM »
If we'd look at the graph below, we can see that we can get equivalent quality at about a fourth of bandwidth with H.265 (HEVC) as compared to the current H.262 (MPEG-2) infrastructure.

Netflix and Amazon Prime Video use this for their UHD streams to maximize quality while being compatible with many internet connections. UHD Bluray uses the same compression format.

That can back-fire against them.  If the free trial has lower quality feed, then it'll be a tougher sell.  If they offer something free, they should make sure it's of the highest quality, if the intent was to woo more subscribers...

It was a temporary holiday season freebie; they did it in the past years too. It may also distract people from their other activities. :P

Offline Schnauzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • rubber dickie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2765 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 11:54 AM »
Sorry if previously posted. How do you program the SKY Cable Digibix remote to control an LG TV?

it's in the manual my friend,  by default the RC is compatible with Samsung but you can make it work to control other brands of TV.
I have both Samsung and LG, kaya yung isang RC was setup to control LG ONLY

Offline supermanster

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #2766 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 12:26 PM »
Plan 299 kami, wala na yun mga free channels nun pasko :(

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #2767 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 01:14 PM »
sa amin din dito sa Laguna wala na rin.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #2768 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 01:30 PM »
Anyone with a link on how to program the SKY Cable Digibix remote to control an LG TV?
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline v1n5anity

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2769 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 04:12 PM »
I'm on 16mbps plan and I've noticed for a few weeks now my torrent downloads have been VEEERRRYYYY slow. right now 2.8kb/s like wtf?! If they're throttling then I want to switch. Badtrip talaga. Would a VPN help btw?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2770 on: Jan 06, 2017 at 05:39 PM »

I'm on 16mbps plan and I've noticed for a few weeks now my torrent downloads have been VEEERRRYYYY slow. right now 2.8kb/s like wtf?! If they're throttling then I want to switch. Badtrip talaga. Would a VPN help btw?

Ilan ang seeders sir?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2771 on: Jan 08, 2017 at 11:50 AM »
Anyone with a link on how to program the SKY Cable Digibix remote to control an LG TV?
Finally got this working sir Jojo
- hold down OK and RED buttons simultaneously. Wait for "All On/Off" button to slow blink
- key in TV remote code (my LG is 2731 - given to me by Skycable phone support)
- hold down OK and RED again
- check if it works

Working buttons are power, volume buttons to the left of the FAV button, AV button which selects TV source.

Enjoy. 

Offline a2

• Trade Count: (+128)
  • DVD Guru
  • Purple & Gold
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #2772 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 11:54 AM »
Has anyone noticed this week that all SkyCable HD channels are suddenly "too compressed" so that parts of the video image are either displaying visible amount of artifacts or MPEG noise?

For example, if you routinely watch NBA HD, you can easily tell the difference with this sudden degradation. Watching on my 65" 4k TV panel, whenever a camera pans with the running players, the video artifacts and noise are now too obvious. I don't have this complaint just a few days ago!

Just to illustrate what happens when there is too much compression:

Hmmn, this doesn't look good to me.  1080i nga (yes, that's SkyCable's source, it's not 1080p), pero too compressed ang quality? Ano na naman ang ginawa ng SkyCable at mukhang dinadaya na tayo? 

Here is the bottomline about video quality: The more detailed an image is or the more resolution it has, the more bandwidth it needs.

Because I am seeing more video artifacts and noise now,  the likelihood that SkyCable "reduced" the video bandwidth is high. WTF.

Sir naayos na ba 'tong picture quality issue na 'to lalo na sa nba premium hd? May nabasa din kasi ako sa isang site same ang complaint ng isang poster dun na hindi gaanong ok ang pq ng nba premium hd. Plano kasi namin mag upgrade to skycable hd this week.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #2773 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM »
Thank you very much!
It worked!

- hold down OK and RED buttons simultaneously. Wait for "All On/Off" button to slow blink
- check if it works

Working buttons are power, volume buttons to the left of the FAV button, AV button which selects TV source.

Enjoy. 
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2774 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 07:50 PM »
- check if it works

Enjoy. 

Does this mean the LG remote can control the channel selection of the Sky cable?

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2775 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 07:58 PM »
Does this mean the LG remote can control the channel selection of the Sky cable?
Baliktad sir Nelson. Yung bagong Skycable remote can control the basic TV functions.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2776 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 08:33 PM »
Baliktad sir Nelson. Yung bagong Skycable remote can control the basic TV functions.

Ah. Gets. Thanks. Got the OneSky bundle for 32mbps. Hindi man lang ako umabot ng 8mbps sa test. Tapos medjo hindi din magaganda yun channels. If the internet doesn't improve, I'm going back to Destiny SD and will try next month yun PLDT Cignal bundle.

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2777 on: Jan 11, 2017 at 09:38 PM »
Ah. Gets. Thanks. Got the OneSky bundle for 32mbps. Hindi man lang ako umabot ng 8mbps sa test. Tapos medjo hindi din magaganda yun channels. If the internet doesn't improve, I'm going back to Destiny SD and will try next month yun PLDT Cignal bundle.

sakin sir 16mbps one sky pero 8mbps lang sa speed test. pangit nga ang mga channels na kasama pero ang bawi ko na lang kung stable ang speed is sa kodi na ko manonood ng ibang channels

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2778 on: Jan 14, 2017 at 01:48 AM »
sakin sir 16mbps one sky pero 8mbps lang sa speed test. pangit nga ang mga channels na kasama pero ang bawi ko na lang kung stable ang speed is sa kodi na ko manonood ng ibang channels
The following morning nagtest ako. Umabot ng 30mbps. It seems may peak hours. Pero today, more often 20-30mbps kaya will observe muna. However my observation seems useless because partial sa Sky cable ang wife ko because of Cinema 1. This morning we will add another box for the dining and a few more channels.

Offline Warped

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2779 on: Jan 24, 2017 at 12:52 PM »
Has SkyCable stopped carrying Discovery Channel?  I can no longer watch it.

Offline azzileur

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2780 on: Jan 24, 2017 at 01:23 PM »

Offline supermanster

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #2781 on: Jan 24, 2017 at 01:45 PM »
Sa mga naka Sky direct, open lahat ng channels kahit walang load :D

Offline Warped

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2782 on: Jan 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM »
Di dapat sya kasama ah...
http://www.mysky.com.ph/metromanila/updates/541/2016/12/12/dmax-eve-discovery-kids-and-discovery-science-end-of-broadcast

Yun din ang alam ko based sa updates ni sky. Pero as confirmed by Sky customer service, Discovery channel contract with Skycable ended last Dec. 31. thus the channel can no longer be viewed on channel 39.

Offline marfillaster

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2783 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 04:06 PM »
Pwede kaya tong alternative sa set-top box?

USB Tuner DVB-C + SMIT Irdeto CAM CI Module
http://shop.tbsdtv.com/tbs5881-dvbt2tc-tv-tuner-ci-usb-boxsmit-irdeto-cam-ci-module-p-141.html

Planning to hook this sa nvidia shield tv. Eto yung guide
https://bitbucket.org/nopnop9090/shieldtv-kernel/wiki/Home

Edit:
Another question, supported ba ng Skyworth HD HC7670 and HDMI CEC?
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 at 04:20 PM by marfillaster »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2784 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 09:37 PM »
  Yun din ang alam ko based sa updates ni sky. Pero as confirmed by Sky customer service, Discovery channel contract with Skycable ended last Dec. 31. thus the channel can no longer be viewed on channel 39.
Alam ko may Disco channel kami. I even requested that channel when I moved from Destiny analog to OneSky digital. I'll check later.

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2785 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 09:54 PM »
Star World na miss ko nung nag HD kami. :(

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2786 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM »
Star World na miss ko nung nag HD kami. :(
May bundle ata niyan for Sky.

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2787 on: Jan 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM »
May bundle ata niyan for Sky.

how much kaya chief?  :-\

Offline a2

• Trade Count: (+128)
  • DVD Guru
  • Purple & Gold
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #2788 on: Jan 28, 2017 at 01:46 PM »
mga sir kaka switch lang namin sa skycable hd from destiny cable. tanong ko lang kung ano ba ang normal or acceptable signal level nito? yung connection sa main tv namin around 72% ang signal level and yung extension sa kwarto ko naman around 67% ang signal level. ok na ba yun?

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2789 on: Jan 28, 2017 at 02:28 PM »
mga sir kaka switch lang namin sa skycable hd from destiny cable. tanong ko lang kung ano ba ang normal or acceptable signal level nito? yung connection sa main tv namin around 72% ang signal level and yung extension sa kwarto ko naman around 67% ang signal level. ok na ba yun?

Para sakin pag wala naman difference sa PQ. Di ko na papansinin yung signal level.