Author Topic: "Manila": Sequel to both "Manila By Night" and "Jaguar"???  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
There's an article by Butch Francisco in today's Philippine Star about a new film, "Manila." Coming in September, it's a two-part film. The first part, directed by Raya Martin, is inspired by "Manila By Night," picking up where the story left off. It has Piolo Pascual in the William Martinez role, Rosanna Roces in the Charito Solis role, and Mitch Valdes... in the Mitch Valdes role.  ;D The Cherie Gil and Rio Locsin roles are yet to be cast.

The second part of the film, inspired by "Jaguar" and directed by Adolf Alix Jr., again has Piolo Pascual in the Phillip Salvador role, Alessandra de Rossi in the Amy Austria role, Jay Manalo in the Menggie Cobarrubias role, and Anita Linda (who played Phillip's mother in the original) as Piolo's grandmother.

The film is apparently being co-produced by... Piolo Pascual.

====

This just seems wrong on so many levels.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Manila": Sequel to both "Manila By Night" and "Jaguar"???
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2008 at 06:30 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's a daring concept, one I'll definitely watch out for. It can either be great or be an intriguing failure. Mike de Leon's short in Southern Winds was inspired by Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag. Also, the idea of Bernal and Brocka's Manilas merging in one universe is exciting. I'm not that big a fan of Alix, but it's exciting to see how Martin will pull this off. Hopefully Piolo's producer-status is mere nominal, maybe an ex-deal for doing the gig for free.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2008 at 06:32 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 02:38 PM »
Well, let's see. Proof is in the pudding. Marilou's Moral sequel actually wasn't too bad, either. And I remember Spirit Warrior 2 was actually an improvement on the first. Sequels aren't as common in our cinema, so there aren't any hard or fast rules, and not as much pressure to make any (except for sequels to boxoffice hits--Mano Po comes to mind).

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 04:13 PM »
I don't know. I guess I'm of the opinion that sequels created without the participation or at the very least the consent of the original creative teams involved are a bad idea. Think Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett or Michael Walsh's As Time Goes By. I actually kind of liked the latter, but felt it was ultimately unnecessary.

Then again, I was intrigued enough to read both of those, so right or wrong, Manila will most likely be must-see for me.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2008 at 04:36 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2008 at 04:32 PM »
It's possibly the first crossover tie-in, at the very least. Some kind of history might be made.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008 at 11:24 AM »
I've seen INDIO NACIONAL & AUTOHYSTORIA, and they are both visual masterpiece.

At a young age, Raya can do anything.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM »
This is off, off topic but what am looking for is  MANILA by Ishmael Bernal, and produced by the Metro Manila Commission (MMC) in time for their anniversary. This is not to be mistaken for MANILA BY NIGHT.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 01:25 PM »
not a fan of piolo but i admire his guts in taking such a daring risk. taking on 2 classics of pinoy cinema? tsaka at least he's using his celebrity & his money on something worthwhile.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2008 at 06:28 PM »
This is off, off topic but what am looking for is  MANILA by Ishmael Bernal, and produced by the Metro Manila Commission (MMC) in time for their anniversary. This is not to be mistaken for MANILA BY NIGHT.

it's entitled Maynila... written by Amado Lacuesta and stars Jaclyn Jose...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM »
I just might eat my own words. I just saw the trailer of the film, and it looks pretty well shot. It's actually in black & white!

I think Piolo mentioned it's coming out this March already.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 09:28 AM »
I'm interested.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM »
This could be an interesting turn of events if ever. I welcome the recent endeavors of the country's biggest stars using their money to actually make notable films. Finally, they're realizing that the salvation of the local film industry lies on them actually taking risks.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM »
Official Selection Out of Competition at Cannes International Film Festival 2009.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM by keating »

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2009 at 06:24 PM »
Official Selection Out of Compe***on at Cannes International Film Festival 2009.
Now,that's really good news!
However this film turn out to be, Cannes Festival or not, it still is a laudable effort (despite the economic climate, in general, and the dying Filipino film industry, in particular). Nowadays, Pascual's movie prospects lies either within Star Cinema's lucrative sytem (but arguably compromising, quality-wise), or through the independent route,such as this,with creative integrity almost guaranteed.
Taking on these 2 acknowledged masterpieces of Philippine cinema might sound too ambitious (even blasphemous),but hey,I'd rather have this than those mediocre,run-of-the-mill love story from Charo Santos' film factory.
Kudos to Piolo Pascual and everyone involved in this project.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2009 at 02:22 AM »
I'm excited about this.  I've only seen Raya's Maicling Pelikula.  I want to see how well he handles a narrative-type movie.  Adolfo Alix, I haven't had the chance to see any of his works, but looking forward nonetheless.  :-)

BTW I've just read that Brillante Mendoza's Kinatay will be in compe***on -- equally great news!

On a side note, I'm still getting used to the new color scheme of the pinoydvd site.  I find it a bit more difficult to read the text.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009 at 02:38 AM by rse »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM »
French connection
by: Edgar O. Cruz | STIR Editor (Chief Agitator)
14 May 2009 | 10:26 AM

Are the three films in the newly opened Cannes International Film Festival to be held in Cannes, France from May 13 to 24 a triumph for Pinoy movies? Perhaps to Pinoy moviemakers who are hanged up on the Gallic ambition. It looks to this writer as more like a French triumph than a Pinoy victory.

Brillante Mendoza and Raya Martin’s movies were highly expected to be accepted in the Cannes International Film Festival because of their so-called French connection. If not, why do you think STIR already buzzed the selection of Raya’s “Independencia” in the Un Certain Regard section and Brilliante’s “Kinatay (The Execution of P)” in In Competion sections three day before the selection was officially announced?

That’s because Cannes has a bias for French-produced and French-funded entries. It’s not a coincidence that Brillante and Raya had movies screened in Cannes last year and this year. Both were expected—even designed—to make it to Cannes because of their French connection. If British Academy of Film and Television Arts British determine the Academy of Motion Picture ARTS AND Sciences (Oscar) winners, the French connection determines Pinoy films to be selected in Cannes. There’s that inescapable association.

Raya’s closeness to Cannes is well known. He’s considered as its baby plus the fact he’s talented. He spent time in Cannes doing films. “Now Showing and “Indio Nacional” are clearly French-style movies. French Jeanne Lapoirie is “Independencia’s” director of photography (DoP). “Independencia” used the 120,000-euro (P7 million) grant from the French government called Fonds Sud Cinema. 

Raya’s other new movie,“Maynila,” co-directed with Adolf Alix, Jr. is a reimaging of Lino Brocka’s “Maynila Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag” and Ishmael Bernal’s “Manila By Night.” To screen out of competition, it stars and co-produced by Piolo Pascual. 

Brilliante’s movie, on the other hand, was financied by French producer Didier Costet for his Swift Productions. “Tirador” and “Serbis,” his entry which made it to the In Competition section in last year’s Cannes are clearly French-inspired.

Yet two other Pinoy movies, Raymond Red’s “Himpapawid” and Bing Lao’s “Biyaheng Lupa (Solliloquy)” were left out. Why? Quite simply, both movies did not have French connection. Both are 100% Pinoy movies with an all Pinoy cast and crew. “Biyaheng Lupa’s” case was understandable as Quantum Films submitted a rough edited version.

You’d counter. Raymond won the Palm d’Or for his short film “Anino (Shadows).” Right! But what’s a five-minute movie to a full-length feature but a minor accomplishment? Do you know the joke about the jurors finding the floating crap in the movie very artistic that’s why it won?

Being selected in Cannes is a formula. Once a filmmaker masters the shock factor with a Frenchy presentation and with the right French connection, his movie/s can qualify to participate in its various sections, even proceed to win the Palm d’Dor!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM »
No comment! Raya might kill me.  ;D

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
In my opinion it takes some connection to make it to any film festival.  We should  be proud that we have a record number of films showing in Cannes this year.  I'm an admirer of Raymond Red but I haven't seen his new movie so I couldn't tell objectively if it's better or worse than the films that were selected.  The only feature film of his that I've seen is Sakay, which I think is a visual masterpiece but the acting and the storytelling are weak.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 at 01:54 PM by rse »

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM »
Brillante Mendoza won the Best Director prize at the Cannes Festival, but whatever happened to the other participating Filipino films (Manila and Independencia)?
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM by R2 »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 04:13 AM »
Peole saw and liked Independencia--Chistoph Huber liked it very much. Manila had less of an impact, he said.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2009 at 04:27 PM »
Independencia was beautiful, I thought. The trailer of Manila that was shown before the Shang screening was promising but the thing I like about Raya's work is this streak of impish, almost irreverent playfulness - - -he did this once or twice to gleeful effect in Independencia - - -and from the trailer, I don't see where it comes to play. But I'lll still go see.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 02, 2009 at 06:33 PM »
Cinemalaya 2009 opening film. 6pm. July 17.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 01:00 AM »
Ayos, supportahan natin ito and Cinemalaya!
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!