Author Topic: what do i need to make dvd movies to HD like quality? using dvd-rom  (Read 10399 times)

Offline poshie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
i have a 26" samsung 1080p lcd for my pc, i got a few questions like

1st: if i play a dvd movie with my samsung dvd-rom and using my 26" samsung 1080p what will be the quality of the pciture, is it 1080p or 720p?

2nd: what software or upscaling dvd player will i use to make my dvd movies like hd quality movie (or almost hd movie)

3rd: if i buy a lite-on db-rom will my dvd movies will play automatically with 720p or 1080p? or it depends also on my software

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 08:39 PM by poshie »

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Use windvd9, it can upscale video upto 1080i. It supports DNM (Digital Natural Motion) like with the Philips Pixel plus LCDs.

Of course you need a very good PC specs for upscaling.

Answer to 1st Q: the resolution is 480p, if your display does not have build-in video upscaler and you use the regular dvd video software player

2nd: I suggest WinDVD 9

3: Software dependent
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM by Philander »

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

1st: if i play a dvd movie with my samsung dvd-rom and using my 26" samsung 1080p what will be the quality of the pciture, is it 1080p or 270p?

2nd: what software or upscaling dvd player will i use to make my dvd movies like hd quality movie (or almost hd movie)

3rd: if i buy a lite-on db-rom will my dvd movies will play automatically with 720p or 1080p? or it depends also on my software

Pang PC ba?...  i use PowerDVD 8 (Torrent It! :D) as my player (Dolby Digital/DTS/Full HD video) and LG bluray (BR-Rom?  :D - can play also DVD) Php9,800.00 @ PCXpress... surely wala kanang hahanapin pa!  ;D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline poshie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
@Philander

i saw some threads in other forums, and here what the guy experience about playing dvd movies on an upscale dvd player

Tanong ko lang, malaki ba ang difference ng picture quality between 480p and 1080i? Kasi bibili sana kami ng dvd player na nag upscale to 1080i. Pina demo ko muna yung difference, nag play sya ng 480p, tapos sumunod 1080i. I really cant tell the difference. Ginamit namin yung mga plasma screens na naka display.

Yes there is a big difference if u ask me, an ordinary upscaling dvd player has poor video scaler thus you are not seeing any difference between the two resolution. Now on the other hand. If you use the like oppo upscaling dvd player, pioneer elite upscaling dvd, denon upscaling or the new blueray and hd dvd for upscaling your sd dvd then you will see a big differenence. I have tried and tested this using our Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP Projector with Denon 5910CI and its like watching real hd source. And even the new entry level HD DVD players is doing a fantastic job upscaling a sd dvd to hd like quality.

the only difference is hes using a standalone upscaling dvd player, and mine is dvd-rom. and based on what hes telling that "like watching real hd source" so is this can be done with just a dvd-rom only? and some sofware player? thanks agaid

@toslink

yes for pc
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 08:38 PM by poshie »

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
The post you quoted above already answered your question. And yes technically, 1080i (1920 x 1080interlaced) has very big difference with 480p (640 x 480progressive).

I'm currently using a Samsung DVD player thats upscale upto 1080i connected to my LCD screen, and to be honest I can barely see the difference, but using my boss' Toshiba HD DVD, you can easily tell the difference.

Since your display LCD supports 1080p, then I suggest that you get a stand-alone DVD player that supports video upscaling upto 1080p. Ensure that the upscaler is good (based from other discussion, the oppo seems promising). So invest as well with good upscaling dvd player. Remember that no two Dvd upscaler are alike.

If you want to see the difference of 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, go to SM appliance store in Mall of Asia. Go to the Pioneer section where there is a Pioneer BD player connected to their flagship Pioneer Plasma HDTV, ask the store personnel to insert a regular DVD and toggle the switch of different screen resolution in the BD player.

With PC, the main factors that affects the video quality are the video card and the software player.

Offline poshie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
@philander

thanks sir for very clear explaination, and for pc do you think the windvd 9 do the rest for hd like quality video using only dvd-rom with dvd movies? and another thing what stand alone upscaling dvd player do you recommend? thanks again :)

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
@philander

thanks sir for very clear explaination, and for pc do you think the windvd 9 do the rest for hd like quality video using only dvd-rom with dvd movies? and another thing what stand alone upscaling dvd player do you recommend? thanks again :)

WinDVD 9 PLUS has a feature of All2HD, meaning it support any supported video format of the windvd9 software to upscale upto 1080p (i originally posted 1080i only, but reading the specs in the corel website, it supports 1080p).

About the stand-alone, I dont own one yet, but like I said the OPPO seems a very good upscaler. For locally available, there seems to be a good reviews about the Pioneer with the one with SACD and DVD-Audio support about its upscaling capability. But OPPO is still better.

Just FYI, I used to work for COREL/INTERVIDEO and ULEAD, that's why I am suggesting WinDVD, cause I'm using it. Im sure the PowerDVD is a great software as well, I just cant say more about it since I barely use their software.

As always, I suggest to use legitimate copy of the software to apply applicable software patches, fixes, enhancement and technical support.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2008 at 11:52 PM by Philander »

Offline poshie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
do you tried playing dvd movies with windvd9 plus on a dvd-rom? whats the resolution? is it like a HD like quality outcome?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
do you tried playing dvd movies with windvd9 plus on a dvd-rom? whats the resolution? is it like a HD like quality outcome?

I have tried it before in the office demo pc with Nvida 8900 video card. And the results is very good. And apply the motion enhancement, you will have a DIFFERENT AND NEW viewing experience. Maninibago ka.

Also, if you dont like software enhancements, you can always use hardware enhancement that your video card supports: ATI's AVIVO™ and NVIDIA®'s Pure Video™.

So you have, regular dvd playback, upscale upto 1080p, apply DNM, or use HW like PureVideo.

Then if you buy BDROM, then you can play BDs using WinDVD9 PLUS BD.

You can download the WinDVD9 (fully fucntional) for free trial of 15 days ata.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2008 at 12:17 AM by Philander »

Offline poshie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
@philander

sir i really really do apreciate all what uve reply on my questions.. anyway ill take note all what u do advised thanks very very much :)

Offline jezzicaz789

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

1st: if i play a dvd movie with my samsung dvd-rom and using my 26" samsung 1080p what will be the quality of the pciture, is it 1080p or 720p?

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Offline sunnyngo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Hi, I'm newbie..maybe in future, i'll need your help!
Game over

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
This is a 2008 question, when the only practical option was upscaling.

These days, AVCHD is the practical and cheap alternative. 

Burn a 1080p AVHD file on a DVD-R single layer and the results are very good.  Not as good as a BD, pero talong-talo ang upscaled 480p.

Offline boing

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
This is a 2008 question, when the only practical option was upscaling.

These days, AVCHD is the practical and cheap alternative. 

Burn a 1080p AVHD file on a DVD-R single layer and the results are very good.  Not as good as a BD, pero talong-talo ang upscaled 480p.
Sir what if baliktad ung aim ko, meaning instead of high res to low res, gagawin kong low res video to higher res. Kaya ba ng software yun?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:

Kung low res to high res, upscaling na nga iyon.  Software talaga ang gumagawa ng upscaling.  Software ng player and software ng TV.