Author Topic: Filipino films  (Read 493376 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Re: Filipino films
« Reply #3210 on: Oct 29, 2023 at 07:55 AM »
A Very Good Girl (Petersen Vargas) *** - A young woman climbs to the top to get to a powerful mall executive’s inner circle so she can get revenge on the wrong she’s done in the past. This dark comedy-revenge thriller has a lot of potential. I felt a Brian de Palma with a touch of John Waters quality to the whole thing. There is a great movie in there. But the script could have used a little more tightening and the film itself gets a tad unwieldy and overlong and even a bit repetitive. However, the performances of the two leads Kathryn Bernardo and Dolly de Leon in her first lead role in a mainstream Filipino film makes this a fun watch. Overall, despite its flaws, it’s definitely worth checking out especially if you’re fans of the stars.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #3211 on: Nov 12, 2023 at 08:57 PM »
Film fest to screen Pinoy classics, Nov. 17-19

https://inqm.news/chow

Cinephiles will be treated to gems like LVN’s “Giliw Ko” (1939), “Sa Init ng Apoy” (1980), “Captain Barbell” (1973), “Tisoy!” (1977) , “Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara” (1995), and “Omeng Satanasia” (1977).

The highlight of the weekend event is the scanned and digitally enhanced “Ibong Adarna” film that was released back in 1941 by LVN Pictures, Inc.
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3212 on: Nov 23, 2023 at 12:28 AM »

National Anarchist: Lino Brocka (Khavn de la Cruz) ***1/2 - This is an experimental documentary of director Lino Brocka which is basically an intercutting of quotes from the late director as well as artfully cut montage of clips from all of his (existing) films. I was very much looking forward to this film but I suspected going in that this is not going to be your run of the mill documentary on a famous filmmaker since it's by Khavn, one of Philippine cinema's foremost independent and unique voices. It kind of helps to have a familiarity with Lino Brocka's life and career to fully appreciate the history and the politics behind it although watching it may entice newcomers to finally seek out all his works. It can be a bit of a trial to sit through but you can tell there's a lot of love that was poured into it especially in the end.

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3213 on: Mar 19, 2024 at 03:48 PM »

Thoughts on a lesser known Mario O'Hara-Nora Aunor collaboration: the 1981 action-musical Gaano Kita Kamahal (How I Love You)