Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198582 times)

Offline gurang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:30 AM »
It takes a certain degree of talent to do what Mark Logan does which few others in local broadcast tv have.  ;D It isn't news or particularly insightful, but I listen to it when I accidentally catch those reports on TV.

[modified to add]

Or maybe just because I do have a fondness for things that rhyme.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003 at 12:31 AM by gurang »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:33 AM »
Indie Boi,

You make an excellent point but I have to thwart your attention to the fact that ABS carries the local station Studio23 as well.  A station that carries a lot of excellenct American shows...

I do agree that Studio 23 carries, as you have said, excellent US canned shows. But then Studio 23, aside from the irritating Fusion gag they've done, is treated as a separate entity with totally different crews and creative people manning it.  :)

As for your comment about bloodsuckers -- I have very close ties to both stations and I can safely share with you that both stations are bloodsuckers.  You wouldn't believe the dirty tricks these two stations are doing to get an edge. ;)  It's one of the reasons why I resigned from one of these stations and refused to work for the other.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:35 AM »
[modified to add]

Or maybe just because I do have a fondness for things that rhyme.

LOL

I have to admit that the guy really does know how to rhyme.  ;D ;D

One thing I hate him doing though is that he makes fun of ugly people in his reports. This coming from a guy who's not exactly Tom Cruise.  ;D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:51 AM »
I do agree that Studio 23 carries, as you have said, excellent US canned shows. But then Studio 23, aside from the irritating Fusion gag they've done, is treated as a separate entity with totally different crews and creative people manning it.  :)

Come to think of it, I've never been terribly fond of how ABS decided to deal with its two markets by creating separate stations for them. Granted, it makes a lot of economic sense. However, it widens the divide between the presumptive haves and have-nots. TV watching is one of the few communal experiences left shared by Filipinos of all "classes", and relegating the A-B-C crowd shows to Studio 23 makes it more difficult for for that crowd to be aware of what the D-E crowd is watching, and vice-versa.

Then again, maybe the divide is not that great. A lot of my female "sosyal" friends in the A-B-C crowd are just addicted to those ABS soaps.  ;)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:05 PM »
We should give credit to ABS-CBN for bringing the standards atleast in technical aspects of broadcasting to a higher level.  Our broadcasting industry here is one of the most modern in Asia right now and the most viable I think.

We may have trashy TV programs right now but all things evolve.  Come to think of it majority of American shows are super trashy too, we might just see it differently because of our colonial mentality.  Reality TV series which dominates American TV are not only trashy but sleazy aswell and as hell.  Even their newscast are not what you can call intelligent they also have tabloid styled journalism infact they are the ones who started that format.  

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:10 PM »
[size=20]GMA[/size]

Even a lot of ad agencies want to place their TVCs here and special launches! rearend personalitys ka-deal ang mga taga-ABS-CBN - sa GMA alaga.

Also when it comes to innovation - GMA ang panalo. ABS-CBN gaya-gaya!

I'm in advertising and what you're saying is not only false but also the opposite.

And about innovation, GMA an innovator???  As far as I know the only thing that GMA have innovated is the art of copying and imitation.  

;D

Pahabol lang - Its really funny if an ad agency would base their ad placement dahil lang sa pakikipag-deal sa marketing people of a certain network and jeopardize their accounts that's silly.  As far as I know our ad placement have nothing to do with people from the marketing dept of a network.  Ad placement is based on you Ad strategy, demographics, psychographics, reach, etc. or to put it simply effectivity of reaching your target market.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003 at 03:04 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:13 PM »
I'm in advertising and what your saying is not only false but also the opposite.

And about innovation, GMA an innovator???  As far as I know the only thing that GMA have innovated is the art of copying and imitation.  
 ;D

What aspect of advertising are you involved with? Just curious.  :)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:19 PM »
Mostly creatives and production.  :)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:26 PM »
You wouldn't believe the dirty tricks these two stations are doing to get an edge. ;)  It's one of the reasons why I resigned from one of these stations and refused to work for the other.

good for you.. kung alam mo nang iniisahan ba't ka pa magii-stay. media talaga is a thankless and "soul"'less job. it takes a lot out of one... kaya mga sobrang madalas ang palit ng mga tao sa business na yan. plus walang security... unless you are a mel tiangco or a korina sanchez  or even a noli decastro. ;)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:29 PM »
Comment lang SPaCeMaN SPiFF.  The three names you mentioned wasn't in their respective stature when they started diba.  I mean if they have quit early they would never have reach that status they are enjoying now.  

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2003 at 12:30 PM »
good for you.. kung alam mo nang iniisahan ba't ka pa magii-stay. media talaga is a thankless and "soul"'less job. it takes a lot out of one... kaya mga sobrang madalas ang palit ng mga tao sa business na yan. plus walang security... unless you are a mel tiangco or a korina sanchez  or even a noli decastro. ;)

Here's one for the lawyers. Until recently, most ABS-CBN employees are considered "Talents" -- editors, writers, PAs, I think even secretaries. Now, being considered a talent means your salary is deducted of taxes but not SSS payments. Why? Because as ABS-CBN HR claims, talents do not have the privilege of company-supported SSS payments. Kung gusto mo ng SSS benefits, mag-file ka as a self-employed individual.

I think they finally changed this policy a year ago.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:30 PM »
Comment lang SPaCeMaN SPiFF.  The three names you mentioned wasn't in their respective stature when they started diba.  I mean if they have quit early they would never have reach that status they are enjoying now.  

true... but they have an edge... they are all on cam talents, they are technically the "face" of the station... any anyhoo... not even these "secure" people are actually secure. i think korina started at channel 4. and everyone remembers mel tiangco was originally channel 2... i'm sure they also paid their dues (he he he... i was so tempted to say "let part of their souls die.") i merely mentioned them kasi... compared to p.a.'s and writers and such... mas may lamang naman sila when it comes to job security.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2003 at 01:31 PM »
Here's one for the lawyers. Until recently, most ABS-CBN employees are considered "Talents" -- editors, writers, PAs, I think even secretaries. Now, being considered a talent means your salary is deducted of taxes but not SSS payments. Why? Because as ABS-CBN HR claims, talents do not have the privilege of company-supported SSS payments. Kung gusto mo ng SSS benefits, mag-file ka as a self-employed individual.

I think they finally changed this policy a year ago.

dapat lang... i think people don't realize the "peanuts" these stations are paying these people.  ;D

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Philatelist,Numismatist,Toy collector etc...
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2003 at 06:02 AM »
 ;)Tama Ka!
              These stations are earning lot so they should give more benefits for their stars!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2003 at 11:34 AM »
;)Tama Ka!
              These stations are earning lot so they should give more benefits for their stars!

uhhh. we were referring to the off cam people... writers, p.a.'s , cameramen, floor directors, etc. etc. ... na without them... the shows wouldn't exist.

;D

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2003 at 08:26 AM »
 8)Yup, Stars or no Stars  dapat ganon ang treatment nila!Hindi selective .

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2003 at 10:44 PM »
I'd say GMA is better when it comes to programming but this thus not necessarily translate to higher ratings! :)

ABS-CBN is better when it comes to technical know-how!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2003 at 02:21 PM »
I'd say GMA is better when it comes to programming but this thus not necessarily translate to higher ratings! :)

totoo yan... higher ratings do not necessarily mean better programming. just because more people watch one show does not make it better.

also...

ABS-CBN is better when it comes to technical know-how!

not surprised there... mas marami kasing pinagkukuhanan ng pondo ang abs-cbn kaysa sa gma para pambili ng gamit eh... pati sa training. afford nila ipa-train yung technical nila sa kung sino-sino.  ;)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2003 at 04:31 PM »
And I think ABS-CBN salaries are a little better compared to GMA.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003 at 04:32 PM by indie boi »

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2003 at 08:09 PM »
 ;D I don't know but I have this preference to watch GMA shows over ABS-CBN shows.

On news, I believe GMA is tops when it comes to credibility and no-nonsense delivery.

On comedy sitcoms, theirs is fresher and funnier.

On variety shows, they are unbeatable, especially with SOP. I really make it a point to watch the show especially for their back-to-back-to-back. It's got the  creme de la creme in the entertainment scene. With Regine, Lani, Jaya, Ogie & Janno (and in some occasions, Martin and Gary), can you go wrong?  Can't really say the same for that ultra-noisy and pa-tweetums show ASAP (used to like it until Dayanara Torres left) that really lacks REAL, PURE talent!

Don't like telenovelas.

I just feel relaxed and entertained watching GMA shows. To hell with ratings! More often that not, they are merely provided (or fabricated) by paid hacks and station lackeys !  ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003 at 08:11 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2003 at 08:12 AM »
 ;)I watched both ASAP and SOP during sundays but at around 2:00 pm I switched it to channel 13 and watched Ating Alamin with Gerry Geronimo. IBC had also some good shows during weekdays around 5:00pm.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2003 at 09:37 AM »
I just feel relaxed and entertained watching GMA shows. To hell with ratings! More often that not, they are merely provided (or fabricated) by paid hacks and station lackeys !  ;D

you said it. i work for a lopez company but i prefer watching the kapuso station.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2003 at 05:50 PM »
According to newspaper accounts, GMA have their ad slots full earning them so much in pesos.

Yet, as far as gross income is concerned, they still trail ABS. What does that mean?

Offline Sauron Cookie

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Build me a cookie worthy of my army!
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2003 at 06:22 PM »
According to newspaper accounts, GMA have their ad slots full earning them so much in pesos.

Yet, as far as gross income is concerned, they still trail ABS. What does that mean?

It's either they're lying or they haven't taken advantage of pricing opportunities....  ;)

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2003 at 07:45 PM »
ABS-CBN advertising rates are far more higher than GMA's and ABS-CBN have more station produced shows than GMA's thats why ABS-CBN have a higher net profit than GMA.

To understand it better lets look at the noontime slot as an example.  GMA is leading the rating war and have a full advertising load with it's show Eat Bulaga, meanwhile ABS-CBN's Masayang Tanghali Bayan is only on second place but this doesnt mean that GMA is earning much more from Eat Bulaga than what ABS-CBN is getting from MTB.  Why?  Because MTB is a stationed produced show meaning all the profit of this show goes back to ABS-CBN, unlike Eat Bulaga which is not produced by GMA and is only a blocktimer (buying airtime from GMA) divide its profit for GMA and T.A.P.E. which produces Eat Bulaga so lalabas mas malaki pa ang profit ng ABS-CBN even if MTB is only behind Eat Bulaga.

:)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003 at 07:46 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2003 at 08:15 PM »
That's true, ABS does have a higher net profit than GMA. But based on the books, GMA still earns more. Why? A simple case of "creative" accounting.

GMA, though not having more station-produced shows, only have the station to worry about. ABS-CBN's management, on the other hand, has decided to diversify into different business interests, which are not making money - Maynilad, Sky Cable, ABS-CBN Publishing, Rockwell, Meralco, etc. Where do you think they're getting the money to keep these other businesses afloat?  ;)

That's the reason why even if ABS is raking in so much money, they decided to lay off more than 30 percent of their people last year. They laid off a lot of employees in ABS-CBN, ABS-CBN International and Pinoycentral.

Offline kinyo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2003 at 08:36 PM »
kung ako nakanakaw, este, naka-overcharge pala, ng 29 billion pesoses, palalakihin ko rin ang ABS-CBN ... papagawa ako ng bagong building ... bili ng helicopters ... upgrade ko system ... bilhin ko competing cable companies ... damihan ko international office ... pakasalan ko anak presidenteng bobo

o di ba bigtime ang ABS-CBN ngayon? pagkatapos nito, nakaw, este, overcharge uli ako ... 50 billion naman kasi kasama na ngayon singil sa tubig, cabletv,telepono, etc!

Offline Ek-ek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2003 at 08:06 AM »
 :(Yes, most of the Lopez group of companies are not making money ,instead they loose more money. looked at Bayantel, they have one of the worst telephone services That's from our personal experience. Maynilad -Hello 1626 wala pa rin kaming tubig dito sa Novaliches for 1 month na . they always said na mayroong water rationing? Mahina "daw" ang water pressure?,so on and so forth.I always called them district tel.417-71-71 to 73 everyday and yet no water rationing comes to our street. Galit na galit ang mga kapitbahay namin sa inyo! >:( Meralco? Well, Mahal ang bayad nang kuryente, that's "why" foreigners would prefer other countries like Thailand,China,Indonesia over the Philippines because far the electricity rates is far less cheaper in those countries than us! Is that what you call "Public Service" ? Sorry for those Lopez group of companies but ito ang mga "Bad" experiences namin first hand with this companies!

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2003 at 12:10 PM »
kung ako nakanakaw, este, naka-overcharge pala, ng 29 billion pesoses, palalakihin ko rin ang ABS-CBN ... papagawa ako ng bagong building ... bili ng helicopters ... upgrade ko system ... bilhin ko competing cable companies ... damihan ko international office ... pakasalan ko anak presidenteng bobo

o di ba bigtime ang ABS-CBN ngayon? pagkatapos nito, nakaw, este, overcharge uli ako ... 50 billion naman kasi kasama na ngayon singil sa tubig, cabletv,telepono, etc!

WOW! That is a very serious accusation may I know where you based them?  

Obviously you don't understand alot of things, anyway Meralco and ABS-CBN are two different entity and you can't divest any funds of a company into another that easily  and its practically impossible if it is a public company such as Meralco.  The Lopezes only owned 20-30 percent of Meralco and hindi naman "BOBO" and mga stock holders nito they would not let the Lopezes divert funds from the company to ABS-CBN, that's very stupid.

ABS-CBN have invested alot of money thru loans and profits, kumikita ng malaki ang company na ito they don't need to resort to "nakaw".  The building and the choppers are a product of good and sound investment stategy not "nakaw".   Besides ABS-CBN have a big debt right now because of these investments but still the company is growing in terms of profit and assets.

GMA on the other hand did not invest on equipment and human resource development, they could have cemented their postion as  the leading network when ABS-CBN is still hibernating because of martial law.  GMA did not care to give their audience quality products atleast on the technical level they only cared for profit and did not help on advancing the broadcast industry ABS-CBN did that.   Like all the other crony companies of Marcos GMA only siponed the money of the company and up to now Marcos I suspect is getting a substantial amount from GMA's profit.  GMA is a Marcos station no wonder that's the only station campaigning for Imee Marcos.  Panay ang labas ni Imee sa GMA her station ang kapal ng mukha nila.

>:(

P.S. Maynilad is not with the Lopezes anymore, they already gave it back to the goverment gudluck na lang sa tubig natin now that Maynilad is in the hand of the goverment.

I wonder why people easily point accusing fingers eh mali-mali naman ang info nila.  Just like Maynilad I bet they don't know the whole story about it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003 at 01:33 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2003 at 01:27 PM »
Here are articles from Star:

ABS-CBN leads move to develop IT zone in Quezon City
By Zinnia B. Dela Peña
Publish Date: [Friday, May 30, 2003]

Media giant ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. plans to lead the development of Quezon City into another information technology (IT) hub by riding on the call center bandwagon, its top officials said yesterday.

ABS-CBN president and chief executive officer Eugenio "Gabby" Lopez III said during the company’s stockholders meeting yesterday that they are currently in negotiations with at least two call center firms for the lease of three out of the 15 floors in the P6-billion Eugenio Lopez Communication Center which lies adjacent to the company’s main studio.

Lopez said the lease would not only maximize the idle space in the building but also contribute to regular earnings.

"We are looking at about 9,000 to 10,000 sq.m. to be leased out and rates of between P400 to P500 per square meter," Lopez said.

He said the move to jumpstart the development of the area into an IT zone is in response to Quezon City Mayor Feliciano ‘Sonny’ Belmonte’s call to bring in a fresh wave of investors into the city.

"This is part of the efforts of Mayor Belmonte to create an IT zone here which is similar to what they were able to do in Eastwood," he said.

He said once the company gets an endorsement from the Quezon City authorities, it would apply for an IT park status with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) to avail itself of various tax incentives.

On its financial performance, the ABS-CBN officials said with revenues expected to reach up to P1.5 billion in May, this would boost cumulative sales to P5 billion for the first five months of the year or over 20 percent higher than the year-ago level.

"We have been practically doing well from January to May. For this period, we would probably be hitting P4.2 billion in airtime revenues (excluding international operations). This should translate to a 25- to 27- percent growth from the previous level, " Lopez said.

ABS-CBN senior vice-president for integrated sales and marketing Nicanor Gabunada Jr. said the cost-cutting measures implemented by management have yielded positive results for the company.

"Achieving sales of P1 billion in one month is the result of people working creatively and aggressively together, in line with top management directions. It’s a very fulfilling, very challenging experience," Gabunada said.

"Today, ABS-CBN has become a stronger organization, in terms of sales and marketing. We have emerged from our organizational restructuring which started in the first quarter of 2002 as a more bullish and more creative force. We have services that cut costs for our customers and add value to our media offers," Gabunada said.

ABS Global’s net sales for 2002 climbed 36 percent to P1.911 billion. It is the holding company which runs The Filipino Channel, ABS-CBN News Channel, Cinema One, and Pinoy Central in the US and the Middle East, and has a worldwide subscribers’ base of 148,000.

ABS-CBN said earlier it would start its operations in Europe in July to take advantage of its satellite which currently serves its Middle East viewers.

ABS Global’s contribution to ABS-CBN’s income fuelled the company’s six percent consolidated net revenue growth for 2002. Other subsidiaries which pushed the broadcast firm’s revenues to P10.91 billion last year were Creative Programs, Inc., ABS-CBN Publishing, and Star Records.

For 2002, ABS-CBN’s airtime and broadcasting revenues amounted to P9.519 billion, down from P9.872 billion in 2001.

Company officials attributed the revenue drop to the absence of political advertisements.

This year, ABS-CBN officials said they are looking at a stronger corporate performance. The company's capital expenditures, pegged at P1.5 billion, will be used to maintain existing operations, fees for film rights, and its European expansion.

For this year, ABS-CBN has maturing debts amounting to P484 million, which would be paid out from internally generated funds.