Author Topic: ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?  (Read 198536 times)

Offline claudja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:ABS-CBN or GMA? Who's the Best for YOU?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 03:28 AM »
 Kung pambili ng helicopter,wala nga ang GMA... pang-global na ala TFC pa?!
  Ipadala mo kaya kay Bernadette Sembrano sa Wish Ko Lang na magka-cable ang GMA internationally at ngayon pa lamang...alam ko nang mananatiling...
 WISH MO LANG! ;D

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 03:43 PM »
According to Asian Business News, the Philippines ranks low in terms of professionalism compared to counterparts in Asia.

Yeah... no professionalism whatsoever.

When I was a kid I used to get irritated when cartoon shows I watched were not shown at the exact time as scheduled (usually at least 10-15 minutes late). I expected as the years went by, they would've improved on this cause I believe that airtime is very important to a television programming (globalization and all that) especially since most of these shows were not shown live anyway...  well, I was wrong. Primetime telenovela shows of these channels extend to whenever commercials get them. To tell you the truth, I don't know when their late-evening news "officially" start anymore... 10:30? 10:45? 11:00? 11:15? 11:17:39?  ???

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 04:36 PM »
Naka-block ang ABS sa TV namin sa bahay  ;D

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:13 PM »

...snip

When I was a kid I used to get irritated when cartoon shows I watched were not shown at the exact time as scheduled (usually at least 10-15 minutes late).

...snip

i remember that sometime in the early nineties, abs-cbn aired several campaign slogans sponsored by a bank. one of the slogans was, make filipino time on time. really ironic, since they were seldon on time in starting most of their programs. on sundays at that time, a movie should had started at 9 pm. however, it was never followed as a variety show preceeding the movie ends at around 930 pm at the earliest.
peace man!

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:20 PM »
What can we expect from greedy corporations whose main priority is profit? They couldn't care less if you have to stay up late because the news will air by 11:00 instead of 10:30. As long as they can squeeze as many commercial spots as possible, program schedules take a backseat.

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:59 PM »
for me GMA is the best, since it has credibility than ABS

I agree. ABS-CBN, being part of a larger conglomerate, has a lot of interests to protect.

Rmn your point is valid but you see it work both ways. I don't know if you or the others here have noticed that when there is a controversy hounding the Lopezes the owner of ABS-CBN especially if its negative, GMA consciously or unconsciously gives extra air time to it in a bias manner.  The last time I noticed it was when the Lopezes decided to gave up Maynilad, GMA’s reporting is too obviously unbalanced which try to paint them as greedy.  They even conveniently did not mention the fact that 90% of MWSS loans where shouldered by Maynilad.  Plus the fact that many waterless areas in Metro have been given water by Maynilad.

So all networks have interest, even GMAs owners have them, worst pa nga kasi GMA is owned by 3 families so the interest are multiplied by 3 pa diba.  And besides ni hindi nga sila public unlike ABS-CBN so talagang private ang GMA which is more prone to abuse.

I don't see your point about ABS being a "public" company. ABS is still controlled by the Lopezes and not the stockholders. Wala naman say ang public sa propaganda na inilalabas ng ABS eh.  I don't agree with you when you say that GMA is biased when covering the issue about Maynilad. It's really a big issue and they covered it well. They didn't add anything in the coverage that wasn't true. They just reported the news. Unlike ABS which always has a political slant to it's coverage.

Your comments about the winnability of the ABS news anchors is really silly. I think news anchors should stick to the news and not delve into politics. Thats why ABS to me, is a propaganda network. Their news programs are nothing more than political propaganda shows. Just because the news anchors of ABS are more popular does not mean they are better. Matuto na kayo. Popularity and winnability does not necessarily mean that one is the best. Just look at the 2 most popular and/or winnable political figures,  Erap and FPJ. Sikat nga ang ABS, pero GMA pa rin ako. 2nd place sa popularity, pero mas may quality. Hindi pang masa ang dating.

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 06:18 PM »
These channels are also under ABS-CBN right?

Studio 23
Cinema One
Lifestyle Network
Myx
ANC
Lakbay TV
Knowledge Channel

Meron bang mga channels under GMA?

Ano naman ang kinalaman ng ibang channel ng ABS? Di ba ABS or GMA lang ang pinag uusapan? Maybe youd like to start another thread, yung para sa ibang channels naman. Taga ABS ka ba?

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 06:30 PM »
What can we expect from greedy corporations whose main priority is profit? They couldn't care less if you have to stay up late because the news will air by 11:00 instead of 10:30. As long as they can squeeze as many commercial spots as possible, program schedules take a backseat.

Tama ka dun banzai. Business lang naman ang gusto ng corporations na yan. All of them have their own interests in mind. Kaya naman maganda ang cable. You get to see some quality programs. Yun nga lang, skycable and homecable are owned by ABS na rin. Kaya may naka singit na commercials on these cable networks. Grabe talaga ang ABS! Hindi ko yan Kapamilya ha! Kapal mukha nila!
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2002 at 06:36 PM by LaserJet »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 07:59 PM »
Dear LaserJet

I don't see your point about ABS being a "public" company. ABS is still controlled by the Lopezes and not the stockholders.

What I meant by public was, ABS-CBN is listed in the stock exchange being so anybody who wants to buy into the company can do so.  What does it mean? Well if your a stock holder you can question the company's policy and even scrutinize their products you can demand access and answers from your company.  I'm not saying that you can effect change of policy but atleast you can question it and can demand answers.  I actually experienced it in one stockholders meeting no less than the CEO of the company have to explain to a small stockholder.  Ultimately thats a lot better than being totally private like GMA which I say is more prone to abuse.

Wala naman say ang public sa propaganda na inilalabas ng ABS eh.  I don't agree with you when you say that GMA is biased when covering the issue about Maynilad. It's really a big issue and they covered it well. They didn't add anything in the coverage that wasn't true. They just reported the news. Unlike ABS which always has a political slant to it's coverage.

Of course they did not add anything to their report that wasn't true but they did not add a lot of things that where either.  Ang daling mag slant ng news half truths are not balance dapat completohin.  Pwede kung sabihin na - sinaksak ng babae ng 4 na beses yung kapitbahay niya, period what impression would you get?  Pero if I say sinaksak ng babae yung mamang kapitbahay niya na rumarape sa kanya at pumatay sa anak niya, both are true right? But which is truthfull?

Obviously your misinformed (siguro sa GMA ka lang kumukuha ng source ng news)  my brother is working for MWSS and he knows the facts that could have soooo easily been verified by GMA reporters but they chose not too.  They even quoted and mention that Manila Water is doing ok, pinalalabas na nagpapalusot Maynilad (Thats the other MWSS concession) now if they are truly balance is it not proper at the very least to ask or get the side of Maynilad pero hindi gusto nila pasamain ang lopez because it owns ABS-CBN? They did not even mention na 90% of the loans of MWSS is being shouldered by Maynilad which amounts to Billions of dollars as against Manila waters 10%!  Marami pang instance na ganyan nag comment pa dati si Mike Enriquez ng "Amininnnnn...!" (complete with gestures ng finger niya!) ito yung solar eclipse controversy involving ABS, now you tell me is that credible is that balance or at the very least fair?  Di na nga siya gwapo umaarte pa siyang parang showbiz reporter na jokla.

Your comments about the winnability of the ABS news anchors is really silly. I think news anchors should stick to the news and not delve into politics. Thats why ABS to me, is a propaganda network. Their news programs are nothing more than political propaganda shows. Just because the news anchors of ABS are more popular does not mean they are better. Matuto na kayo. Popularity and winnability does not necessarily mean that one is the best. Just look at the 2 most popular and/or winnable political figures,  Erap and FPJ. Sikat nga ang ABS, pero GMA pa rin ako. 2nd place sa popularity, pero mas may quality. Hindi pang masa ang dating.

I'm not saying popularity translates to credibility ang sinasabi ko lang na hindi porque popular at tumakbo sa politics eh hindi na credible that was just a reaction to one of the post here.  And about winability, I'm just trying to point out na kung may pag-asang manalo ang mga anchor ng GMA tatakbo rin yan (pustahan?) but does it mean less credible na sila?

How about yung mga politician at tumakbo dati na host na ngayon?  Does it makes them less credible?  My 2 favorite Public Affairs hosts are Mareng Winnie at Oscar Orbos pareho kong binoto, but if I go with your reasoning eh di hindi na sila credible at propagandist sila ng GMA?  

Wala pa lang credibility ang anchors ng ABS then why is GMA continously wooing ABS anchors then?  Pati nga si Mel Tiangco kinuha agad nila diba?  Ganun pala yung pag nasa ABS walang credibility pag napunta sa GMA instant credibility hehehe.

Hindi pang masa?!  Nanonood ka ba ng GMA?  Mukha yatang hindi, kung di masa ang mga walang kakwenta-kwenta nilang sitcoms at soaps I dont know what masa is anymore.  Joey Marquez at sino ba yun Jong ba yun mga quality pala sila?  Isama mo na rin si Clavio sosy pala ang show niya hehehe

And one more point during Martial Law ang daming napasarang Media institutions ni Marcos I just wonder why GMA was not closed?  Well you figure it out.  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2002 at 12:17 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 08:24 PM »
These channels are also under ABS-CBN right?

Studio 23
Cinema One
Lifestyle Network
Myx
ANC
Lakbay TV
Knowledge Channel

Meron bang mga channels under GMA?

Ano naman ang kinalaman ng ibang channel ng ABS? Di ba ABS or GMA lang ang pinag uusapan? Maybe youd like to start another thread, yung para sa ibang channels naman. Taga ABS ka ba?

Taga-ABS ba ako? Hehehe I wish, but I'm not I have nothing against GMA nanonood rin ako sa kanila and infact may friends ako from both networks.  Im just trying to be objective in my observation kasi grabe na war ng networks na ito eh.  Regarding dun sa ibang channels di matatanggal yun kasi part of ABS yun eh but Im not sure kaya nga tinatanong ko eh.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 08:31 PM »

LOL bakit naka-block?  Pati Studio 23 at SkyCABLE?  Paano yan connected rin  sila sa Meralco, Bayantel at Maynilad?

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 09:18 PM »

Well, of course the reason they operate is because of profit, else why bother?

But there are also other ways where these stations can maintain an "on-time" schedule. I guess it would be understandable for endorsers that if a particular program rates, ABS, GMA or any other station can always charge a bigger fee for the airtime (a 30-second commercial for Superbowl costs $2M in the U.S. because they know that it rates... endorsers even make spectacular brand new commercials for this event yearly).  

Unfortunately, things aren't quite the same here... and I doubt if it ever will. Maybe it's due to management decisions regarding charging? Maybe it's be because of our culture as it is? I dunno... but for sure it s**ks!  >:(

Offline Sen.Almondski

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 11:18 PM »
Kung pambili ng helicopter,wala nga ang GMA... pang-global na ala TFC pa?!

Ah, they are compensating for something like helicopters, am sure they can even afford jumbo jet because of their bigger charges for subscriber  :o
 ;D Well actually , paying huge amount for TFC ( ABS ) doesn't matter but at least we could get decent shows and showtime from them and not a "tabloid programming", minimize their killing time -advertisement because i believe they have already made their profit from the pocket of viewers abroad. Yes, GMA network  is second in popularity but i really appreciate their programs in serving community promoting faith and values. They  are balance between profit and responsibility ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2002 at 11:21 PM by almondski »

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 03:29 PM »

Well, of course the reason they operate is because of profit, else why bother?

But there are also other ways where these stations can maintain an "on-time" schedule. I guess it would be understandable for endorsers that if a particular program rates, ABS, GMA or any other station can always charge a bigger fee for the airtime (a 30-second commercial for Superbowl costs $2M in the U.S. because they know that it rates... endorsers even make spectacular brand new commercials for this event yearly).  

Unfortunately, things aren't quite the same here... and I doubt if it ever will. Maybe it's due to management decisions regarding charging? Maybe it's be because of our culture as it is? I dunno... but for sure it s**ks!  >:(

If the major US television networks can air their programs on time, I can't see any reason why ABS and GMA cannot do so. Don't tell me these US networks are not after profit.

Our local networks just don't give a damn and have no respect for their viewers.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 05:57 PM »
Banzai who told you that?  It's not true that US Television Networks air their programs on time, they are as guilty as our TV networks here.  Infact one time Jay Leno walked out from his own show because of the extreme over time of his pre-programming.  The eratic schedules of our networks here are not solely caused by advertising it has a lot to do with programing strategy too which is used by US TV networks aswell.  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2002 at 12:57 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2002 at 11:34 PM »

LOL bakit naka-block?  Pati Studio 23 at SkyCABLE?  Paano yan connected rin  sila sa Meralco, Bayantel at Maynilad?

Your point being?  ???

I only locked ABS-CBN cause I don't like their kind of programming... and not because I have this "aversion" to the owners.  I couldn't care less about who owns what station.

And to answer your questions...
  • Studio 23?  not locked... used to be my primary station.. now it's a toss-up between Star TV and Studio 23
  • SkyCABLE?  why would I pay for cable if I would lock it pala?
  • Meralco?  I need electricity to watch TV  ;D
  • Bayantel?  naka Globelines kami  8)

Offline Homer Jay

• Collector
  • D'OH!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 10:09 AM »
Our local networks just don't give a damn and have no respect for their viewers.

Well, maybe not all the networks... I think Studio 23 (which is also owned by ABS-CBN) and RPN9 do try to keep their schedules on time (well... at least on those days that I watch these stations). I don't know about the other stations since I barely watch their shows, but ABS-2 and GMA-7 really does have a problem with their program scheduling.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2002 at 11:52 AM »
for me GMA is the best, since it has credibility than ABS

I agree. ABS-CBN, being part of a larger conglomerate, has a lot of interests to protect.

Rmn your point is valid but you see it work both ways. I don't know if you or the others here have noticed that when there is a controversy hounding the Lopezes the owner of ABS-CBN especially if its negative, GMA consciously or unconsciously gives extra air time to it in a bias manner.  The last time I noticed it was when the Lopezes decided to gave up Maynilad, GMA’s reporting is too obviously unbalanced which try to paint them as greedy.  They even conveniently did not mention the fact that 90% of MWSS loans where shouldered by Maynilad.  Plus the fact that many waterless areas in Metro have been given water by Maynilad.

So all networks have interest, even GMAs owners have them, worst pa nga kasi GMA is owned by 3 families so the interest are multiplied by 3 pa diba.  And besides ni hindi nga sila public unlike ABS-CBN so talagang private ang GMA which is more prone to abuse.

Good point. However, ABS-CBN being a publicly listed company, they are  answerable to their shareholders. Also, the most of the Lopez companies need government franchises and regulatory approval so they have to be "friendly" with incumbent administration.  Remember when Beaver Lopez married Jackie Ejercito? ABS-CBN became pro-Erap. But when Edsa 2 happened, they changed sides.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2002 at 11:55 AM by rmn »

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 03:12 PM »
  What I meant by public was, ABS-CBN is listed in the stock exchange being so anybody who wants to buy into the company can do so.  
I know perfectly well what a "public" corporation means. Thank you.
I'm not saying that you can effect change of policy but atleast you can question it and can demand answers.  
You've just proven my point.  All they can do is question policies. What use is that kung hindi sila susundan ng mga Lopez?
Marami pang instance na ganyan nag comment pa dati si Mike Enriquez ng "Amininnnnn...!" (complete with gestures ng finger niya!) ito yung solar eclipse controversy involving ABS, now you tell me is that credible is that balance or at the very least fair?  Di na nga siya gwapo umaarte pa siyang parang showbiz reporter na jokla.
Parang malayo na yan sa usapan Mr. Big Boy. Do you have something against gays?
  I'm not saying popularity translates to credibility ang sinasabi ko lang na hindi porque popular at tumakbo sa politics eh hindi na credible that was just a reaction to one of the post here.  And about winability, I'm just trying to point out na kung may pag-asang manalo ang mga anchor ng GMA tatakbo rin yan (pustahan?) but does it mean less credible na sila?
Napaka galing mo naman. Alam mo na agad na tatakbo sila. Psychic ka ba? Anyway, I'm not interested in betting on something like that. Napaka babaw.

Wala pa lang credibility ang anchors ng ABS then why is GMA continously wooing ABS anchors then?  Pati nga si Mel Tiangco kinuha agad nila diba?  Ganun pala yung pag nasa ABS walang credibility pag napunta sa GMA instant credibility hehehe.
I don't remember saying na walang credibility ang anchors ng ABS. Saan mo nabasa yun? Baka gusto mo balikan ang post ko. Maybe you didn't understand what i posted.
  Hindi pang masa?!  Nanonood ka ba ng GMA?  Mukha yatang hindi, kung di masa ang mga walang kakwenta-kwenta nilang sitcoms at soaps I dont know what masa is anymore.  Joey Marquez at sino ba yun Jong ba yun mga quality pala sila?  Isama mo na rin si Clavio sosy pala ang show niya hehehe
You've got a point there. Pero mas pang masa ang ABS. Andun si Bayani, Bentong, The whole cast of Home along da Riles. And sino ba ang mas pang masa pa kay Nora?
  And one more point during Martial Law ang daming napasarang Media institutions ni Marcos I just wonder why GMA was not closed?  Well you figure it out.  ;D
Huh? Anong kinalaman nyan? Ang hilig mo talaga lumayo sa topic. Labo mo! Sa ibang thread na dapat yan.

Eto na lang masasabi ko, parehong may corny ang baduy na programs and ABS and GMA. Pero para sa akin, mas ok ang GMA. Get over it Mr. Big Boy. Wag ka na magtanong kung ayaw mo tanggapin ang opinions ng  ibang tao. Gumawa ka ng lang ng thread para sa pro ABS. Peace na lang Mr. ABS CBN. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2002 at 04:15 PM by LaserJet »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 04:41 PM »
Dear Laser Jet

Just a few correction:

"I don't remember saying na walang credibility ang anchors ng ABS. Saan mo nabasa yun? Baka gusto mo balikan ang post ko. Maybe you didn't understand what  i posted."

I think your the one who does not understand your own post, at ikaw ang dapat bumalik sa post mo.  Is this statement not tantamount in saying na walang credibility ang anchors ng ABS?  Heres your post and I quote:

"I think news anchors should stick to the news and not delve into politics. Thats why ABS to me, is a propaganda network."

If an anchor is working in a propagandist network which you say ABS is, then what are they?  Parang mo ng sinabi na hindi catholico ang mga pari who is serving in a Chatholic church, is that possible?

You just proved my point.  All they can do is question policies. What use is that kung hindi sila susundan ng mga Lopez?

Well thats better than nothing thats only my point.

Parang malayo na yan sa usapan Mr. Big Boy. Do you have something against gays?

How can u say malayo na sa usapan when you stated na propagandist network ang ABS without any proof, here I am witnessing first hand yung unprofessionalism and bias ni Mr Enriquez tapos malayo sa usapan?  Can you be more bias than that?  Aren't you the one who said may political slant ang ABS reporting?

I have nothing against gays, but if a news anchor gestures and act like a showbiz gay reporter on cam thats another matter.

Napaka galing mo naman. Alam mo na agad na tatakbo sila. Psychic ka ba? Anyway, I'm not interested in betting on something like that. Napaka babaw.

On the contrary ikaw ang magaling kasi tumakbo lang sila Loren and company naging propagandist na ang ABS.  Why can't anchors run if lawyers, doctors can, what makes them different?  Bakit di mo sinama sila Mareng Winnie dahil GMA?

You've got a point there. Pero mas pang masa ang ABS. Andun si Bayani, Bentong, The whole cast of Home along da Riles. And sino ba ang mas pang masa pa kay Nora?

Talaga namang "MASA" lahat ng local media, kaya nga "MASS MEDIA" anyone who says otherwise should check the dictionary.  I never said na hindi masa ang ABS your the one who claimed that GMA is not masa right?

Regardin Martial Law:
Huh? Anong kinalaman nyan? Ang hilig mo talaga lumayo sa topic. Labo mo! Sa ibang thread na dapat yan.

Natatawa ako sayo your the one who opened up and started the topic about a network being politically slanted and ABS being a propagandist tapos tatanong mo kung ano ang kinalaman ng Martial Law statement ko?  Well GMA was kept open by Marcos while the other networks where closed down, just read between the lines ok.

Eto na lang masasabi ko, parehong may corny ang baduy na programs and ABS and GMA. Pero para sa akin, mas ok ang GMA. Get over it Mr. Big Boy. Wag ka na magtanong kung ayaw mo tanggapin ang opinions ng  ibang tao. Gumawa ka ng lang ng thread para sa pro ABS. Peace na lang Mr. ABS CBN.

This is just a friendly discussion, yes I started the thread does that disqualify me from participating?  Im not against your opinion Im just sharing mine is that bad?  If I remember correctly your the one who answered my post and you even called it silly remember?  Now you tell me, whos the one na di maka-tanggap ng opinion ng iba?  I have nothing against GMA infact I never stated anything untrue against GMA unlike some.  

Anyway Peace and prosperity sa iyo rin Mr. GMA remember:

Isang Pamilya  ;)

Isang Puso  :D

Ngayong Pasko  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2002 at 05:00 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #50 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 05:01 PM »
dati gusto ko channel 2 tapos nung nauso ang soaps ayoko na!
pati GMA 7 ayoko na rin

(paano TV hogging mga babae sa bahay, di ako makapanood maski games ko di ko na mapanood

Offline Homeland

• Kapitan
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 06:47 PM »
Let's not get personal here. Please stick to the topic of discussion, or we'll have to lock this thread down. Thank you for your cooperation.

PinoyDVD Administration

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 08:26 PM »
Let's not get personal here. Please stick to the topic of discussion, or we'll have to lock this thread down. Thank you for your cooperation.

PinoyDVD Administration

Good call there Kap!

Now as can be ascertained in my earlier posts (i count 2), I go for ABS but admittedly, GMA have good shows too. I just cannot stand watching and listening to Mike Enriquez just as I hate Korina's commentaries (on radio)

The question posed by Mr. Big Boy alludes to the network not just the specific channel hence for ABS, it includes the VHF/UHF/cable and international channels (TFC)

Admittedly, as far as network scope, ABS is way ahead of GMA as it has wider presence media wise and location wise. GMA used to have Channel 27 (remember NBA on 27?) but problems caused its shutdown.

GMA also used to have program distribution in the United States but the main complaint then was the programs were basically Cafe Aroma (Apeng Daldal- remember him?) and onld GMA shows. I do not have info if they currently have it now.

From peers, I heard that GMA is planning to venture again in the international arena. With the transfer of its signals from Mabuhay (Agila Satellite) to Measat satelllite of the malaysians for national distribution (remember their plugs this year hyping that they are now on digital transmission to the provinces?), they are re-positioning again in the international market.

For ABS, it is saddled by its own set of problems primarily financial as it is affected by the problems of its sister companies Meralco, Maynilad, Bayantel and Sky. As mentioned in earlier posts, GMA is fast catching up as far as ratings are concerned. What was not mentioned is that both ratings of ABS and GMA dropped on the last quarter except that ABS's rating dropped more than GMA's thus the net effect was that the difference now is less, and this can be interpreted as GMA is closing in on ABS.

So what is in store for us as viewers? GMA will try its very best to disloge ABS from the top by improving its programs while ABS will try to maintain its hold on the top by improving its programs. That is competition and at the end on the day, the viewers are the winners.

There is no need to be personal!  :D
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2002 at 08:29 PM by viper »

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 08:34 PM »

At 9 PM tonite (Dec 20), you do not have a choice! There will be an ABS CBN simulcast on 2, 23, lifestyle, ANC and cinema 1 for thier christmas special.

No problem, DVD ang panoorin ko!
 ;D

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 10:12 PM »

I think your the one who does not understand your own post, at ikaw ang dapat bumalik sa post mo.  Is this statement not tantamount in saying na walang credibility ang anchors ng ABS?  Heres your post and I quote:

"I think news anchors should stick to the news and not delve into politics. Thats why ABS to me, is a propaganda network."

If an anchor is working in a propagandist network which you say ABS is, then what are they?  Parang mo ng sinabi na hindi catholico ang mga pari who is serving in a Chatholic church, is that possible?
All I'm saying is that news anchors should stick to the news and save the political commentary to themselves. Ok lang kung public affairs program yung hino-host nila. I don't think that's too much to ask for.
How can u say malayo na sa usapan when you stated na propagandist network ang ABS without any proof, here I am witnessing first hand yung unprofessionalism and bias ni Mr Enriquez tapos malayo sa usapan?  Can you be more bias than that?  Aren't you the one who said may political slant ang ABS reporting?
I said that just to tell you the reason why I prefer GMA.
I didnt say I have proof, it's just my honest and humble opinion. If you're going to bring Mr. Enriquez's gesture and actions into this discussion, I'd like to point out Mr. Noli de Castro's expression which I have heard countless times. Madalas nya sabihin yung "Nge!" when reporting the news. I find that unprofessional as well.
On the contrary ikaw ang magaling kasi tumakbo lang sila Loren and company naging propagandist na ang ABS.  Why can't anchors run if lawyers, doctors can, what makes them different?  Bakit di mo sinama sila Mareng Winnie dahil GMA?
I didn't say na hindi sila dapat tumakbo and Winnie Monsod is not a news anchor.
Talaga namang "MASA" lahat ng local media, kaya nga "MASS MEDIA" anyone who says otherwise should check the dictionary.  I never said na hindi masa ang ABS your the one who claimed that GMA is not masa right?
Nagkakamali ka yata. Mass media is not the same as pang Masa na sinasabi ko. Nagpi pilosopo ka na eh.
Natatawa ako sayo your the one who opened up and started the topic about a network being politically slanted and ABS being a propagandist tapos tatanong mo kung ano ang kinalaman ng Martial Law statement ko?  Well GMA was kept open by Marcos while the other networks where closed down, just read between the lines ok.
So? Ang tagal na nun ha! 2002 na. Aren't we talking about ABS vs. GMA in the present? My point is, that's history already. But if you want to go argue that point, why not mention that Korina Sanchez and Ted Failon were obviously pro Erap.
Anyway Peace and prosperity sa iyo rin Mr. GMA remember:
Isang Pamilya  ;)
Isang Puso  :D
Ngayong Pasko  ;D
Thank you very much and peace be with you Mr. ABS  ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 02:03 AM »
Dear LaserJet

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope I did not create an impression to you that I am mad, irrated or whatever where just discussing here infact nakatawa nga ako ng binabasa ko post mo nakakatuwa kasi if your views and comments are being challenge.  To Kap Sumbong my apologies if my post bordered or went to being personal, its not intentional and its all in the spirit of fun discussion, thanks.

Offline LaserJet

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 12:21 PM »
Dear LaserJet

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope I did not create an impression to you that I am mad, irrated or whatever where just discussing here infact nakatawa nga ako ng binabasa ko post mo nakakatuwa kasi if your views and comments are being challenge.  To Kap Sumbong my apologies if my post bordered or went to being personal, its not intentional and its all in the spirit of fun discussion, thanks.
Dear Mr. Big Boy,
Ok lang yan. Nakakatuwa nga eh. Di ko naman sineseryos ang mga post mo. We're all entitled to our own opinions. Last post ko na ito sa thread na ito. I've said what I wanted to say.

Thanks!

Offline X-®an™

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 06:12 PM »
Question lang po:  Where and how do we get the TV ratings?   Are they reliable?

Offline viper

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 07:10 PM »
Question lang po:  Where and how do we get the TV ratings?   Are they reliable?

This might be slightly OT but to respond to your query:

TV ratings are just like surveys conducted. The ratings company like PSRC (at least during my earlier stint in a tv company, that is what they call their company - Phil Survey & Ratings Co, i think)

As in surveys, PSRC calls up a random sample number of households for a given hour (say 300 households) and ask if their TV is open and what channel they are asking. My understanding was 300 is a representative of the whole televiewing universe. They gather the results and get the percentages. Thats how they used to do it 15 years ago. I would presume that with advances in communications and electronics, this process has been automated already.

This is what they do from early morning until the last show (i think?). The results are not released publicly since this is where they get their income. TV Networks and advertising agencies subscribe to these survey companies to get periodic reports of the survey results. It is up to the networks to release the data to the public (para iyabang just like what ABS does) while the ad agencies use the data to determine which shows they should put their ad money into.

Now, are the results reliable? Well, the appropriate question should be is it credible? If the ad agencies believe them, then it could be credible. AFAIK, TV networks maintain their own survey groups to validate the results they get from the survey companies.

Now back to regular programming  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2002 at 07:21 PM by viper »

Offline tABs

• Collector
  • Last Man Standing
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 21, 2002 at 07:39 PM »
Peace Men! Give LOVE on Christmas Day

ang masasabi ko lang, Pinas is a free and democratic country. Lahat ng tao ay free to air/say his or her opinion/s. Kung sabihin ng ABS sila #1, so be it, opinion nila yun, kung sabihin din ng GMA na sila ang #1, no problem, opinion din nila yun. If we do not want to watch both channel, no problem, rights natin yun. Ain't no need to argue who's who of the 2 channels. Pinas needs more help than arguments. Kawawa ang pinas sa ngayon. Too much politicking (tama ba?), graft and corruption, greediness, is killing my beloved Pinas. Kaya nga kaming mga hamak na OFW ay nde pa makauwi kasi we don't know what's in store for us back there. Our future there is too bleak. :'(
Back to the main topic- ABS vs GMA, i'd say we shouldn't be affected that much by their rivalry. What would we get if we join in in their pasiklaban? Baka may magbarilan o magsaksakan o magsuntukan pa rin just for that.  :o  But i know we're all mature enough naman dito, di ba,  that will not happen for sure.  The only benefit we'd surely get from their rivalry is that magpapagandahan sila ng programs nila. Who's the end winner? tayo pa rin- the viewers. so need to argue. peace brother.....it's time Christmas time...   ;D

just watch your DVDs....sit back, relax, and enjoy the digital surround sound of your 5.1 setup...wala pang problema...   :D

This is my opinion, you have the right to argue it, but don't expect me to indulge in an argument...i want peace...

i wish you all a very merry and peaceful Christmas... Happy Birthday Jesus! Feel HIS LOVE in your hearts