Author Topic: bdp or nmt?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
bdp or nmt?
« on: Oct 14, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
for those who owns and or have experience the bluray player and the nmt's, what is your insight, feedback, advantage and disadvantage between these two hi def media players? Picture quality and especially for audio quality.

i need your idea before going into hi def.

tia.  ::) ??? :D
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM by bono vox »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Re: bdp or nmt?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
Nako, DELIKADO etong tanong mo Bro.   ;D

Have you read the recently "locked" poll?

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 02:29 PM »
yeah, saw it... it's a poll between media players...

ok, let us simplify what i need.... their difference in AUDIO QUALITY... what is best for you?

tia.  ;D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 03:19 PM »

ok, let us simplify what i need.... their difference in AUDIO QUALITY... what is best for you?

I'll try to make an inference based on data and on the assumtion that you would use the NMT for you know what.

A typical AC3 5.1 ch audio encode has a bitrate of 640 Kb/sec
A typical DTS 5.1 ch audio encode has a bitrate of 1.5Mb/sec
Dolby True HD has maximum bitrate of 18Mb/sec but in practice is usually around 5Mb/sec

On face value, I think the bitrate figures should speak for themselves, BUT, do you recall the findings at Streetsmart's shoot-out?  AND, how much will Dolby True HD be better in terms of dialogue.

However, you must be aware already that there are those files in the 30-45GB range that has the Dolby True HD audio stream in it.  Hence, if your NMT can decode Dolby True HD or at least pass-it through to a Dolby True HD capable AVR, then potentially, the performance level in terms of SQ can even out.

However again, 30-45GB files anyone???

Question:  Does NMT play FLAC?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008 at 03:22 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 03:43 PM »
I'll try to make an inference based on data and on the assumtion that you would use the NMT for you know what.

A typical AC3 5.1 ch audio encode has a bitrate of 640 Kb/sec
A typical DTS 5.1 ch audio encode has a bitrate of 1.5Mb/sec
Dolby True HD has maximum bitrate of 18Mb/sec but in practice is usually around 5Mb/sec

On face value, I think the bitrate figures should speak for themselves, BUT, do you recall the findings at Streetsmart's shoot-out?  AND, how much will Dolby True HD be better in terms of dialogue.

However, you must be aware already that there are those files in the 30-45GB range that has the Dolby True HD audio stream in it.  Hence, if your NMT can decode Dolby True HD or at least pass-it through to a Dolby True HD capable AVR, then potentially, the performance level in terms of SQ can even out.

However again, 30-45GB files anyone???

Question:  Does NMT play FLAC?

My understanding is that eGreat plays FLAC.

Based on specs alone, BD certainly has better audio ... but I strongly believe that for movies, its very difficult to detect and appreciate that difference. I've re-watched LOTR on the eGreat and it blew me away - for both video and audio.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 03:57 PM »
thanks for the feedback, clondalkin and streetmart.
nag dalawang isip kasi ako kung ano sa dalawa, bdp or nmt? i know there's is no contest on picture quality between them, just want to make sure that nmt's not sacrificing the SQ of movies/concert against bluray. ang naiisip ko kasi, example, pag nag rip ka ng audio cd para maging mp3 ay ibang iba pa rin talaga ang tunog ng original cd sa ripped mp3 kahit gawin mong 320kbps...  ::) ???

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:00 PM »
just want to make sure that nmt's not sacrificing the SQ of movies/concert against bluray.

I think you will never be convinced until you hear it for yourself! It's very good!

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:02 PM »

Based on specs alone, BD certainly has better audio ... but I strongly believe that for movies, its very difficult to detect and appreciate that difference. I've re-watched LOTR on the eGreat and it blew me away - for both video and audio.

Hi Streetsmart.  Which do you think is true?  

It would be more difficult to differentiate between lossless and lossy compression when using high end AV gears, like what you have?  or

It would be more difficult to differentiate between the two when using regular AV equipment (like mine)?   ;D

Great if an NMT plays FLAC too.   26Mb per song is not impractical at all in terms of size.

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:04 PM »
I think you will never be convinced until you hear it for yourself! It's very good!

sir, can i try both system to your place?  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:30 PM »
Hi Streetsmart.  Which do you think is true?  

1. It would be more difficult to differentiate between lossless and lossy compression when using high end AV gears, like what you have?  or

2. It would be more difficult to differentiate between the two when using regular AV equipment (like mine)?   ;D

Great if an NMT plays FLAC too.   26Mb per song is not impractical at all in terms of size.

I would believe that the second statement is true.

From my personal experience, lossless audio brings out very fine details in music, such as the shimmering of cymbals or the sliding of fingers across a guitar fret or the plucking of strings. I would imagine that if you don't have a good audio system, you wouldn't be able to reproduce those fine details anyhow. That's my theory cuz I haven't actually heard lossless audio with a poor system.

As a corrollary, if you are watching a movie, you are listening to dialogue and foley sound-effects. I mean ... how would you know what a more correct footstep or door slam sounds like? Music is different -- you know what to listen for.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:39 PM »
sir, can i try both system to your place?  ;D

sure, lapit namin work place mo. send me a PM

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 04:48 PM »
sure, lapit namin work place mo. send me a PM

wow! thanks sir.  :o :o ;D
will pm  you na lang.

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 05:00 PM »
Go for both since not all movies are worth in BD.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:04 PM »
Are we comparing a ripped file versus a orig BD again? >:(
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:07 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline bono vox

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:17 PM »
Are we comparing a ripped file versus a orig BD again? >:(

yes sir, for the benefit of the doubt, for someone who missed the previous topic, if any.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:30 PM »

+1 sir mark, nmts plays Free Lossless Audio Codec. alot of people are now starting to ripped their ORIGINAL CDs to this codec since theoretically it does not lose any detail but saves around 40-50% of hdd space than the original encode. which is great.  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:44 PM »
The program and your setup will determine how good your audio will sound. Provided you know what to listen to...  Some Original HD DVD and BD titles use only Dolby Digital Plus but are excellent. Some Original BD titles have DTS Master Audio but are gawd awful. Transformers when it came out in HD DVD was one of the best audio reference, even though it came out only in Dolby Digital. Also your setup is another important key. Do not try to compare a HTIB with one that has been bought seperately.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008 at 06:57 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 07:34 PM »
Go for both since not all movies are worth in BD.

+1 it is really very expensive at this time to collect/change all your DVD titles to BD. For me there are titles na BD must have like Transformers, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Spiderman. For series and documentaries ganda na niyan sa NMT. Audio naman sabi nga ni Sir Mark and based dun sa shootout is very difficult to distinguish. For pogi points definitely BD panalo  ;D

In due time I will surely buy an NMT. Lalo na if available na yung mga TV series na gusto ko sa ating mga friendly sellers  ;)