Author Topic: No URIAN awards for film achievement in 1987  (Read 1900 times)

Offline R2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
No URIAN awards for film achievement in 1987
« on: Nov 09, 2008 at 04:39 PM »
In 1988, the Manunuris announced that no award will be given for film achievements of the previous year. It was the year that Vilma Santos (Tagos ng Dugo), Lorna Tolentino (Maging Akin Ka Lamang), and Susan Roces (Paano Kung Wala Ka Na?) battled it out for Best Actress from the rest of the award-giving bodies (FAP,Famas,Star,CMMA,et al).

Any related article/comment/feedback on this?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: No URIAN awards for film achievement in 1987
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 05:11 AM »
O'Hara did three films in 87, at least two of which are worth noting--Prinsesang Gusgusin, a cinderella fantasy, and Tatlong Ina, Isang Anak, his most overt comedy. Not his best work, but I've seen the Urian give the best picture doorstop to worse films...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
They said 1987 was the worst year in Philippine Cinema. Or even the lowest point during Cory's time.

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 04:32 AM »
I still remember that Manunuri member Mario Hernando cited the following as 1987's best films during his segment on GMA 7's Movie Magazine: Balweg (directed by Butch Perez), Get Victor Corpuz,The Rebel Soldier (whose director I cant recall now), Sparrow Unit (by Ben Yalung), Tagos ng Dugo (by Maryo J. delos Reyes), Tatlong Ina,Isang Anak (by Mario O'Hara).
The critics' reason for not giving awards that year was due to "lack of deserving winners". Does it mean that the above-mentioned films, recognised by a bonafide MPP member, are not good enough? Not to mention the individual achievements in acting (the performances of Ms. Santos and company), screenplay, and cinematography and other technical aspects.

Offline ciconneguy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Movies and music make me happy. :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM »
I still remember that Manunuri member Mario Hernando cited the following as 1987's best films during his segment on GMA 7's Movie Magazine: Balweg (directed by Butch Perez), Get Victor Corpuz,The Rebel Soldier (whose director I cant recall now), Sparrow Unit (by Ben Yalung), Tagos ng Dugo (by Maryo J. delos Reyes), Tatlong Ina,Isang Anak (by Mario O'Hara).
The critics' reason for not giving awards that year was due to "lack of deserving winners". Does it mean that the above-mentioned films, recognised by a bonafide MPP member, are not good enough? Not to mention the individual achievements in acting (the performances of Ms. Santos and company), screenplay, and cinematography and other technical aspects.

indeed a bad decision. who was the president of manunuri during that year? was it emmanuel reyes? 87 might not be a great year but still, it's not that bad at all.  and looking back, some of those films in 87 even fared better than those they honored later on.
It's time for the good times. Forget about the bad times. :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 01:59 PM »
Raymond Red made Mistula that year--if they couldn't find quality mainstream fare, they could have checked out the alternative scene...

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 09:36 PM »
urian these days (or ever before) makes some questionable decisions. nagpapakakontrobersyal lang ba kung minsan?  ??? i can't still imagine why they gave rafael rossell the best supporting award for rome & juliet when he didn't do much in the film. (even though the character was good enough, the writing and the acting aren't.)
Absolutely no regrets!