Author Topic: RPG Metanoia (The Philippines' 1st 3D CGI movie)  (Read 11145 times)

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: RPG Metanoia (The Philippines' 1st 3D CGI movie)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM »
Story-wise, though, would you say RPG is more-engaging than TS3? I haven't researched on or seen RPG yet and would like to know what other viewers thought of it. I can bear the lack of technical polish or whatever since the gap from local and Hollywood is too wide, just want feedback if the movie is really good and if the voice talents used actually did justice to the characters (at least in conveying emotion).

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 01:19 AM »
Yup. The story's more engaging. But that's just me. I liked its attempts at sci-fi; there's something about the popularity and processes of MMORPG that is sinister and ripe for sci-fi exploitation. At the very least, it didn't beg me to cry.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 02:19 AM »
^ Awesome then! I hope they make it available online when possible so that I can watch it with the kids. Thanks.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 04:29 PM »
The Freeman's Althea Lauren Ricardo: "RPG Metanoia. If you are going to watch only one MMFF film this Christmas, let it be this one! It's the first full-length 3D-animated Pinoy film. Produced by ABS-CBN Film Productions and Ambient media, RPG Metanoia is about a young and shy Nico who finds a life in online games. I've seen the teaser trailers—it looks world-class, but it's purely local. Our talented animators have finally come up with a local production!"

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=641999&publicationSubCategoryId=51

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 01:57 PM »
I liked it, I don't know why people are comparing this to 3d animation giants like Pixar or dreamworks in terms of animation ::)
There's some glitches on the movie itself but it's forgivable since it's our "first" attempt on 3D animation,
Story-wise and engaging, the dialogues are "Pinoy" cheesy but it perfectly suits Filipino audience especially kids, the voice acting is a little off (the kids all sounds the same) and they have to work more on the film editing, para kasing minadali yung film phasing e...

Overall it's a nice movie, I rather choose to see more Pinoy 3D animation film like this than Shake Rattle & Roll part 200 or some MMFF garbage every Christmas   :P
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2010 at 01:58 PM by Ashburndaride »

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 05:25 PM »
RPG Metanoia opened with P5.1 million on its opening day.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 05:35 PM »
Some people find RPG Metanoia "world class".

What perception. I laughed when I heard comments from viewers who liked it.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2010 at 09:32 PM »
i liked the movie... mejo amateurish but we will get there kapag merong pilantropong susuporta sa lahat at laki ng gastos na tulad ng mga hollywood counterparts... ;) and of course kung tayo mismo ang tatangkilik
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #38 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM »
i liked the movie... mejo amateurish but we will get there kapag merong pilantropong susuporta sa lahat at laki ng gastos na tulad ng mga hollywood counterparts... ;) and of course kung tayo mismo ang tatangkilik

Well, that tactic worked with the Korean film and TV industries...look now as to how their dramas are already swamping local prime time.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM »
i liked it! story wise and the animation para sa first attempt naten is not bad ha, actually its very good. ;) i just had a hardtime sa 3d nila, hindi ko makita yung 3d effects eh. ;D

sa mga nagcocompare sa big budgeted hollywood animation, cmon man. ;D
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 07:53 PM »
RPG: Metanoia (Luis C. Suarez) *** - Is it better than Toy Story 3? No, I don't think so. I do think it is, however, the third best animated feature of the year (behind Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon). The Philippines' first 3D animated feature film is still a far cry from its U.S. counterparts in terms of the quality of the animation. It does, however, has tons of really cool visuals AND a solid story unlike that other American film about getting sucked into a computer game. I give it an A for effort and a solid B as an overall film.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2010 at 08:36 PM »
RPG: Metanoia (Luis C. Suarez) *** - Is it better than Toy Story 3? No, I don't think so. I do think it is, however, the third best animated feature of the year (behind Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon). The Philippines' first 3D animated feature film is still a far cry from its U.S. counterparts in terms of the quality of the animation. It does, however, has tons of really cool visuals AND a solid story unlike that other American film about getting sucked into a computer game. I give it an A for effort and a solid B as an overall film.

i agree ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2011 at 10:18 AM »
watched this yesterday at trinoma.. all i can say is.. for a first 3d animated feature made locally, it was not bad, in fact in was awesome.. :o effects and animation may not be at par with say TS3 or how to train your dragon, but the story was engaging, with values, and never was there a dull moment..! ;) 3d effects were limited to the metanoia world only.. i had to remove the glasses during real world scenes, because wearing the glasses during these scenes make them appear dark.. another problem is with the voice casting i guess..maybe they should have casted better voice talents..

but all in all, i would really recommend watching this to everyone.. for the pinoy animators who did this movie.. great job guys.!! may we have more 3d animation movies in the future..  ;D

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 12:48 PM »
Regular readers are probably aware of how highly I regard Pixar and their work, and so it should taken as high praise when I say that I would proudly hold RPG: Metanoia up against even the best of Pixar. The film is simply extraordinary. Though the animation isn’t as technically dazzling as the projects of the first world, this little third world tale is in many ways more powerful and more well-crafted than even the most high-budgeted of productions. I think we should all be proud of this one. ~ Philbert Ortiz Dy

Source - http://www.clickthecity.com/movies/?p=9995

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 05:15 PM »
^Dy's review of RPG: Metanoia is strange in that he contradicts himself a lot. Which makes me think he may have been paid (allegedly) or compensated (again, allegedly) to give such a glowing review.

But I won't take it against him because, having not seen the movie yet, most people I've heard from say it's actually a pretty good film. Hurray for the Pinoy animation industry!

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 08:39 PM »
Found it a very good film too, story-wise. The values it teaches are quite timely & especially good for the kiddies. The animation is OK enough, but obviously suffers due to the lack of budget (compared of course to Hollywood productions). Maybe if this succeeded financially, the studios would increase their budget for the next Filipino animated production.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 10:59 PM »
RPG Metanoia's script, in the hands of Pixar or Dreamworks, would make it a surefire mega blockbuster hit. It is simply outstanding, a rarity for Philippine mainstream movies. It was easy to forgive the framing problems, the lack of visual detail, or the subtleness of the 3-D effects because the story itself carries the entire production. The engaging interactions between the protagonists and the ingenious interplay between reality and fantasy of this movie is such a potent and terrific combination, such that when pitted against critically acclaimed Hollywood CGI features known for their heartiness, Metanoia would easily trump a lot of them. No, it is not better than Toy Story 3 as others claim. But for me, it's even better than How To Train Your Dragon, making it the second best full length animated film of 2010.

I'm not heaping praises at this movie because I enjoy network gaming (have never tried it, ever), I am a Filipino (heck, I even detest the sickening manner at which "Filipino pride" gets thrown around nowadays), nor have I a financial stake with this movie. I'm praising it because for the first time in my years of movie addiction (I've probably seen a more than 700 movies in the cinemas since 2004), a mainstream film allowed me to overlook its technical limitations and directed my attention to that which matters most, the story. RPG Metanoia is a film long overdue from the Philippines, and yet one that's quite too good for Enteng Kabisote et al. masses to deserve it. Still, I'm happy to see such a film having been made, and hopeful that more people would wisen up to produce and support productions of such calibre in the future.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:15 PM by allanmandy »

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2011 at 11:05 PM »
RPG Metanoia's script, in the hands of Pixar or Dreamworks, would make it a surefire mega blockbuster hit. It is simply outstanding, a rarity for Philippine mainstream movies. It was easy to forgive the framing problems, the lack of visual detail, or the subtleness of the 3-D effects because the story itself carries the entire production. The engaging interactions between the protagonists and the ingenious interplay between reality and fantasy of this movie is such a potent and terrific combination, such that when pitted against critically acclaimed Hollywood CGI features known for their heartiness, Metanoia would easily trump a lot of them. No, it is not better than Toy Story 3 as others claim. But for me, it's even better than How To Train Your Dragon, making it the second best full length animated film of 2010 for me.

I'm not heaping praises at this movie because I enjoy network gaming (have never tried it, ever), I am a Filipino (heck, I even detest the sickening manner at which "Filipino pride" gets thrown around nowadays), nor have I a financial stake with this movie. I'm praising this movie because for the first time in my years of movie addiction (I've probably seen a more than 700 movies in the cinemas since 2004), a mainstream film allowed me to overlook its technical limitations and directed my attention to that which matters most, the story. RPG Metanoia is a film long overdue from the Philippines, and yet one that's quite too good for Enteng Kabisote et al. masses to deserve it. Still, I'm happy to see such a film made, and hopeful that more people would wisen up to produce and support productions of such calibre in the future.

Right on bro! ;)

Offline akiraPrime

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Watch the best movies!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2011 at 08:09 PM »
Its a nice break from all the Shake rattle and roll (do you believe pang 12 na ito....) and kabisotes....

two thumbs up.