Author Topic: Dimfer's  (Read 73732 times)

Offline muscleboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Pinoy Canadian :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Dimfer's
« Reply #240 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 07:29 AM »
nice audio setup, dimfer! man, i would have loved to go tubes and vinyl but this hobby can get so expensive that my wife probably will throw me out of the house with all my gear if i forced it! :P

buti na lang mahilig sya sa movies kaya basement HT room na lang ako. i was surprised she was ok with  me putting my older audio gear on the main floor family room (which is her room) kaya i'm not complaining.. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016 at 07:29 AM by muscleboy »
Yamaha | Paradigm | SVS | Pioneer Elite | PS3 | Apple Tv | Panasonic | EluneVision | Primacoustic

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #241 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 08:01 AM »
thanks muscleboy..

tube gears are addicting, I think this is my fourth or fifth pair. I was listening to Leonard Cohen's Ten New Songs album last night - one of my favorites and this is what I use to gauge my system vs the best I've heard. I was actually really happy with the pairing, the sound is very detailed yet it has a natural texture - something very difficult to get from solid state. I think the Magico S7 is finally opening up and smoothing around the edges too.

I used to go to the gym, go fishing, golf and other things that men do and my wife very rarely see me at home, especially in the summer. I used to golf more than 100 rounds a year and hit over 50,000 balls in the driving range in the summer, go to the gym 5 days a week with my friends in the winter, may fishing pa.. she was happy to see me get into aquariums and now into audio and HT, puro man gastos, kita naman nya kung saan napupunta ang pera. When she ask me where my money goes - I just tell her to go to the basement and look around   ^-^
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #242 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 08:46 AM »
thanks muscleboy..

tube gears are addicting, I think this is my fourth or fifth pair. I was listening to Leonard Cohen's Ten New Songs album last night - one of my favorites and this is what I use to gauge my system vs the best I've heard. I was actually really happy with the pairing, the sound is very detailed yet it has a natural texture - something very difficult to get from solid state. I think the Magico S7 is finally opening up and smoothing around the edges too.

I used to go to the gym, go fishing, golf and other things that men do and my wife very rarely see me at home, especially in the summer. I used to golf more than 100 rounds a year and hit over 50,000 balls in the driving range in the summer, go to the gym 5 days a week with my friends in the winter, may fishing pa.. she was happy to see me get into aquariums and now into audio and HT, puro man gastos, kita naman nya kung saan napupunta ang pera. When she ask me where my money goes - I just tell her to go to the basement and look around   ^-^

Ang sarap, dream life!    ;D

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 01:08 PM »
Congrats sir. Very beautiful speaker and sound for sure. Haayy dreaming of Magico. :-)

thanks Nolax
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 01:19 PM »
Ang sarap, dream life!    ;D

I hope I could say that without sounding na nagyayabang, but yes and I feel very blessed. Me and a good friend at work had a good conversation about how some people try to complicate their lives by having "tsiks" or by "gambling their savings away" once they reach a point in life na medyo nakakaluwag na. that's one advantage of having hobbies, always busy and always ubos ang pera kaya wala nang time and budget sa mga makasalanang bagay

we work hard, we play hard

Offline junji

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #245 on: Jan 27, 2016 at 05:07 PM »
I hope I could say that without sounding na nagyayabang, but yes and I feel very blessed. Me and a good friend at work had a good conversation about how some people try to complicate their lives by having "tsiks" or by "gambling their savings away" once they reach a point in life na medyo nakakaluwag na. that's one advantage of having hobbies, always busy and always ubos ang pera kaya wala nang time and budget sa mga makasalanang bagay

thumbs up sir!

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Jan 30, 2016 at 01:27 PM »

Offline allyson

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • PATIENCE is my prime VIRTUE
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Jan 31, 2016 at 04:28 PM »
Two thumbs up ako,tinamaan ako dun s tsiks at gambling.

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Jan 31, 2016 at 10:08 PM »
Two thumbs up ako,tinamaan ako dun s tsiks at gambling.

>:D >:D

lahat naman yata dumadaan sa stage na yan, most guys wil have the urge. nagkakatalo lang sa kung gaano kalakas ang control sa sarili. not exposing yourself to the environment also helps.

I hear some people with grown up kids say "nakakabato" or boring sa bahay.. with (Facebook and audio fora) audio and aquarium at home, I couldn't say that.. I am always short of time, to tinker about setup, tweaks and enjoy my systems and movies. Then I also have to find time to clean my aquarium and feed my fish.. and maybe excercise  O0

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Feb 08, 2016 at 12:56 PM »
Rock Crusher is gone... damn!

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #250 on: Feb 09, 2016 at 01:03 PM »

I absolutely agree!  i'm still below 50 but with an executive level position.  my motto in work is to help my co-workers and to help the company.  on the personal aspect, i am earning for my children and not for myself anymore.  i am even contemplating to ask my wife to stop working and to focus on the children instead.

i am a simple fellow with simple needs.   ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2016 at 01:04 PM by luis »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #251 on: Feb 09, 2016 at 05:23 PM »
I absolutely agree!  i'm still below 50 but with an executive level position.  my motto in work is to help my co-workers and to help the company.  on the personal aspect, i am earning for my children and not for myself anymore.  i am even contemplating to ask my wife to stop working and to focus on the children instead.

Bulls eye!

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 04:10 AM »
on the personal aspect, i am earning for my children and not for myself anymore.  i am even contemplating to ask my wife to stop working and to focus on the children instead.

good policy when your kids are still young and still dependent on you on everything. give them the best education and all the tools they need to survive in their adult life, but you should also know when to take off the training wheels. they will grow into better human beings if you let them be themselves and be responsible for themselves once they become adults.

our older daughter is now 28 and still single (baka may irereto kayo dyan  ^-^) and now very independent. she worked while still in university and paid for the downpayment of her car. she moved out to her own condo (ok, we paid for the downpayment) when she was 23 and had lived independently since. we are hoping to do the same for the younger daughter. we believe that making them responsible for themselves makes them stronger.. they should not expect that you would leave them something behind, if that happens, that's a bonus.

you should also treat yourself to the good things in life, you deserve that. you worked hard to be where you are and contributed positively to the society and mankind.. you deserve to get and or experience things that make you happy, this will make you live longer. basta piliin mo lang ang magapapaligaya sa'yo  ^-^

best bang policy ang "you can look, but cannot touch" pagdating sa mga "ibang" bagay?  >:D

Online at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #253 on: Feb 10, 2016 at 07:09 PM »
you should also treat yourself to the good things in life, you deserve that. you worked hard to be where you are and contributed positively to the society and mankind.. you deserve to get and or experience things that make you happy, this will make you live longer.

This is really right, after a hard days work you need something new & hook it up to lift our spirits up   ;D
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Feb 13, 2016 at 02:06 PM »
This is really right, after a hard days work you need something new & hook it up to lift our spirits up   ;D

movies and music are good diversions from the realities of our daily lives. I had a very busy day at work yesterday and was a bit tired when I got home, for some reason I started watching Avatar at Kodi while killing time and waiting for our daughter's message to pick her up from school.. needless to say that I had seen that movies a few times before, but still enjoyed being transported by the movie to another space... truly enjoyable..

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Feb 13, 2016 at 02:17 PM »
anybody in the forum with experience with Revel Performa C 50 center channel speaker? Is this 6 year old model worth investigating at $500? A local guy is selling a unit in good condition, price seems fair because it retails for $3k new and I had seen them listed between $500 to $1k at different sites, but still more expensive than new designs from Polk, Def Tech etc..

My HT experience had improved quite a bit since I replaced my HTIB with Onkyo, etc but I feel that my $200 little Energy center channel speaker can use an upgrade.

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #256 on: Feb 13, 2016 at 04:44 PM »
anybody in the forum with experience with Revel Performa C 50 center channel speaker? Is this 6 year old model worth investigating at $500? A local guy is selling a unit in good condition, price seems fair because it retails for $3k new and I had seen them listed between $500 to $1k at different sites, but still more expensive than new designs from Polk, Def Tech etc..

My HT experience had improved quite a bit since I replaced my HTIB with Onkyo, etc but I feel that my $200 little Energy center channel speaker can use an upgrade.

Revel is like the Lexus of the Harman Group (while JBL is Toyota). I say go for it!
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Feb 14, 2016 at 04:24 AM »
I will setup an audition to take a closer look and hear it's attributes.

thanks DTNS

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7169
« Reply #258 on: Feb 14, 2016 at 07:53 AM »

been there, done that......but now i am free of all child rearing duties,
i have all time and money for myself,
i will spend the rest of my days helping out young tuberos in their own journeys...
i have just begun to have fun......;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 12:21 AM »
good for you Tony..

we will all leave this place the same way we came - with nothing.

but I think the most important thing is to touch the lives of the people we love and care about positively while we are here, you are a passionate tubero and will leave behind a legacy that will survive long after you are gone... and the best part - you are having fun while doing it.. so you can have your cake and eat it too after all 8)

Offline romeoalltheway

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Humanitarian Listener
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 06:10 AM »
I feel great reading not only about expensive gears but also of the higher values that make life meaningful and enjoyable. These set this forum apart. Thanks and more power :)
Denon PMA520AE/AVR2808i
NAD C316BEE
Bose 301 V, Q Acoustics 2020i/2070i, Dali Lektor 8
Denon DP 300F

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7169
« Reply #261 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 07:34 AM »
good for you Tony..

we will all leave this place the same way we came - with nothing.

but I think the most important thing is to touch the lives of the people we love and care about positively while we are here, you are a passionate tubero and will leave behind a legacy that will survive long after you are gone... and the best part - you are having fun while doing it.. so you can have your cake and eat it too after all 8)

thanks, we all look for meaning of our existence, i have found mine and i am happy for it...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #262 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 01:00 PM »

Go for it, Ding! :D Got your PM, will reply soon. Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 01:18 PM »
Go for it, Ding! :D Got your PM, will reply soon. Thanks!

hintayin ko Jen >:D

the owner is currently out of town, but I have it on hold for me na, I have a good feeling I can wiggle it down to $400. owner said less than 100 hours of use.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2016 at 01:30 PM by dimfer »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #264 on: Feb 15, 2016 at 02:10 PM »
hintayin ko Jen >:D

the owner is currently out of town, but I have it on hold for me na, I have a good feeling I can wiggle it down to $400. owner said less than 100 hours of use.

ALRIGHT! :D Another JACKPOT! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Mar 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM »
update muna, bago makalimutan

I always felt that my HT needed improvement from the beginning. I got an LG HTIB because our daughters were also using the home theater for Playstation gaming and to watch movies and  we wanted a system that was simpler to use. I think using the LG for 4 years is long enough, time to take the home theater experience to the next level. I want something better, but didn't want to spend too much. I started looking for an HT receiver around Christmas time because everything goes on sale on Boxing Day (happens on Dec. 26, similar to Black Friday sale in the US).. traffic at Best Buy and other electronic store was just crazy on Boxing Day, so I ended not buying anything. I was really tempted to pickup a Yamaha RXV 1050 at Visions because it was $500 off, but $800 was still too rich for me. There was also a Harman Kardon model that Wwas on slae at Bestbuy but there were some features I want that it didn't have. NAD was a good proposition too, but just like Yamaha, the model that I want was a little beyond my budget. A guy at London Drugs whispered to me that they will put the Onkyo TX-NR737 on sale on January 8.. I did some reading about the product, it has  6 hdmi input, Dolby Atmos ready, 4k pass through, powerful enough, good enough for me.. so I waited. Early in the morning of Jan 8, I went to LD to buy my Onkyo, at more than 50% off.. it's a brand new, sealed 2014 model.. the salesman was trying to convince me to get the newer 747 which was also on sale, but it's $300 more. The only feature that separate the two is the DTS-X, the 737 is good enough for me..

I took the old LG HTIB out, our daughter was really glad to take it for her living room. I used my old Mordaunt Short MS40 monitor speakers as the fronts, kept the Energy Take 1  center channel speaker I was using, assigned the built in ceiling speakers as Atmos height speakers and re-used the surround speakers from the LG as rear surround and used one of the inputs of the Von Schweikert Shockwave V15 powered sub.. wallah - improved system on a budget. HT experience improved a lot.

I was itching to upgrade the center channel speaker as well, but I like the way the smaller Energy Take 1 fits in my rack. I still have a pending offer on a Revel Performa C50.. but really, the Energy performs so well I could live with it

I used up all HDMI inputs - Sony DVD Blu Ray player & streamer, my wife's karaoke, Sony PS3, NVidia Shield, Optic tv receiver

I shoehorned the MS40 behind the Magico S7

below is a screen shot of Pan, I am using an iPad and was not able to capture the actual picture quality, which is much better than what you can see here. The Shield can Stream up to 4k quality.

we were invited to a friend's house during the holiday break and I was re-introduced to kodi android tv. I tried xbmc using an Ouya game console before and the experience was not good at all. It was buffering all the time and the picture quality in most of the streams were bad. In our friend's house, we watched the Revenant before it started to show in the movie houses here, no buffering and the picture quality was outstanding. I researched the best possible android tv platform as soon as I got home and bought an Nvidia Shield within a week. I paid more for the Shield vs other android tv options, but we have recovered our investment already because we've been streaming movies like crazy. I upgraded our internet plan to 50mbps with 400 gb cap. The Shield can receive signal via wifi but I chose wired connection to our gigabit router to make sure that I always have a fast and stable connection.. so far so good. Too bad Skull Crusher stopped streaming last February it was my favourite add on. ahem I promised not to spend a dime on Manny Pacquiao ppv anymore after the FMJ brouhaha, but I think I'll be watching him live after all  :angel:

on the audio side, I sold my W4S Mpre and in the process of selling my ST1000. The pre amp is good, but the amp is badly beaten by the less powerful Aurender X725 integrated. I find the W4S veiled on top, and a lot of times uninvolving. I demoed it with the Magico S1, the sound was cold. Since the X725's DAC can only take USB input, I was forced to pullout the Aurender N100H from the main rig and move the X725 & N100H combo upstairs to work with the Von Schweikert VR 35.. and so far, this the best I've heard the Vr 35 sing, much better sounding than W4S and I prefer it over MR's 6c33-c and GM70. I hope Aurender make more powerful amps in the future. The system now has excellent clarity from top to bottom, very detailed without any glare or edge. Hi res files have good texture and has more weight and body.

I was surprised that Aurender built a music server with no wi-fi connectivity. I was forced to get a wireless wi fi extender with an ethernet output port to supply internet connectivity to the N100H in our living room.

I got a small fanless NUC to replace the Aurender in my main rig. I was very close to forking out $4k to build a fanless music server with linear power supply etc etc last year. The DIY factor was very appealing and was very curious if I could build one solely based on what I learn from computeraudiophile.com and other fora. I abandoned that idea and got the Aurender, now the itch is back.

Somebody suggested that using a small computer fed by a server will yield better sonic result for much less investment than hooking a music server straight to the DAC. The idea is to have the server do all the processing and heavy lifting, and just use the NUC/NAA as a streamer/renderer. I have a Lenovo T430 that's not getting a lot of use since I got an iPad (a must have if you want to use Aurender the way it is designed to work), it has a decent I5 processor, good battery, two hard drives and could be used as a server. I ordered the NUC, RAM and an ethernet switcher online, while waiting for the hardware, I paid a guy for the specially designed renderer operating system (surprisingly big @ more than 15gb for something specifically designed to play music files and nothing else), bought HQ Player from an Italian reseller, setup my Roon account and installed the same on the Lenovo, Tidal HiFi followed soon after. Roon is quite expensive, but it is the only platform available right now that can integrate HQ Player and Tidal. The idea here is to use Roon to manage and play your music files, use Tidal as additional source to your music library and have everything played by Roon upsampled by HQ Player before it is fed to the streamer. I configured the streamer to just hand over the information to the DAC, nothing else. The idea is very similar to what Mark Porzilli did with the MP, although the implementation is a little different.  The HQ Player upsamples on the fly, and can upsample everything that passes through it (including the Tidal stream) to DSD 256 aka quad DSD if your DAC can latch DSD 256. In my case, I have the HQP upsample to DSD128 because that's all the PS Audio Direct Stream can do. I also have an Uptone Regen Amber between the streamer and the DAC.

Roon is quite cool because it's metadata include some background information about the artist and the recording, like what you get in LP's, nice to read stuff (good diversion from Facebook) while listening to the music. How's the sound? Quite good actually and better than many cd players, but in my experience, Aurender playing high res still sound better. I was told that upgrading the wall wart power supply for the NUC with a good quality linear power supply and replacing the ethernet cable between the router and the Streamer with a fiber optic isolation setup will enable the Streamer to surpass Aurender, but I am not willing to sink another $700 to this experiment at this point. Roon without HQP sounds mediocre, one client compared it to Jriver and Foobar2000 and found the two better sounding. But with HQP, it takes the ballgame to a different level.

Digital audio has changed a lot during past past 5 years. Mark Porzilli told me while we were having dinner in Newport Beach in 2013 that he expect other designers and engineers to surpass MP64 within the next few years, but to my ringing ears, high res pcm played on MP64 still sounded better than anything played on PS Audio Direct Stream (DSD). The guy may have disappeared from the audio scene (although Clement Perry told me sometime last year that the new 32 core MP is beyond anything he's heard in the market), but I still think he's a real genius. His ideas were so far outside the box that he was ridiculed and dismissed by a lot of audiophiles, something that he took very personally to  the point he despised the audio industry altogether. But, he's been doing a lot of stuff in 2006 that are now being implemented by other designers. To my knowledge, he was the first to report that playing music files on SSD sounded better than on moving drives, now Aurender and everybody else is doing the same. He believed that upsamping music files and playing high resolution at source and doing no upsamping at the DAC sounded better.. this was hotly debated at various fora, bits are bits and you cannot improve 16/44  because you cannot add info by upsampling.. now, a lot of people like what Jussi Laako is doing with HQP. I could go, but I had been called a Mark Porzilli fanboy already, so I'll stop here   >:D

There's another mid/low priced brand in the market that keeps me awake at night  8) , I hope to get it soon and include it in my next report. Hint - an esteemed reviewer paired this brand's less than $2k dac/preamp and less than $4k per pair monos with the Magico Q7 and was very very impressed with the result.. para daw si connor McGregor, punching way above his weight class

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #266 on: Mar 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM »
 :o :o :o

I'm still wiping my drool off the floor. hahaha!  ;D
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #267 on: Mar 15, 2016 at 04:40 PM »
The best i have seen! abroad ito bro?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Mar 16, 2016 at 03:10 AM »
The best i have seen! abroad ito bro?

yes, Canada

Offline n o l

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #269 on: Mar 16, 2016 at 08:44 AM »
Congrats! Really to die for gears!!

Btw, at last i heard a Magico the other day at the local distributor (Architectural Audio) here in Manila.
Magico S3 powered by Hegel Monoblocks and Naim network streamer as source. Very revealing speakers while maintaining the natural sound. Huge soundstage as well. Vocals sounded smooth and refined too. Great speakers!