Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 1511 times)

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dollhouse
« on: Feb 14, 2009 at 04:10 AM »

Taken from Wikipedia.

Dollhouse is an American science fiction television program created by Joss Whedon and set to premiere February 13, 2009 on FOX.

In Dollhouse, Eliza Dushku plays a young woman called Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls." The Dolls have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas, including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language, for different assignments. They're then hired out for particular jobs, crimes, fantasies, and occasional good deeds. On missions, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between tasks, they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse". The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

Beyond Dushku's character, the show will also revolve around the people who run the mysterious "Dollhouse" and two other "Dolls", Victor and Sierra, who are friendly with Echo (the names are simply letters in the phonetic alphabet). Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers, the operation is highly illegal and under constant threat on one end from Paul Ballard, a determined federal agent who has heard a rumor about the Dolls, and an insane rogue Active on the other.

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
Re: Dollhouse
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
Downloading at the moment.

New Whedon is always good. Haven't seen Dr.Horrible yet, though.

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 03:36 PM »
Will look into this.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM »
Just finished watching. It's great. The Dollhouse reminds me of the old Wolfram & Hart offices. But there's enough new elements to keep on watching the show. Amy Acker was a nice surprise. Bitin yung episode which means this new series from Whedon will probably deliver.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009 at 05:10 PM »
For me, it was:

Boring........... :-[

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009 at 10:05 AM »
Another Whedon series cancelled  ???

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009 at 08:20 AM »
Yep, didn't even bother finishing season 1.

:P

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 01:13 AM »
Just found out that Summer Glau will star in 2 episodes when the show returns  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 01:42 PM »
Epitaph 1 is arguably the greatest Dollhouse episode ever made.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 09:38 AM »
Hope we get an Epitaph 2 for the series ender. Joss can even make a movie based on Epitaph 1

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 03:02 PM »
Maybe, but there's a saying, that behind every great artist is someone with a mallet, ready to conk him over the head once the work is finished. Hopefully Whedon is such an artist.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 03:21 PM »
Deserves more seasons than such piles of cow poo as Chuck but that's the way of the world,stupid always wins.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 at 03:24 PM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
Deserves more seasons than such piles of cow poo as Chuck but that's the way of the world,stupid always wins.

By the time FOX burns off the remaining episodes, we'll know Whedon's next project. Btw X, have you seen the episode called Belonging? (ep. 4) Has to be one of the most psychological and morally challenging stuff from Joss and company.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 at 05:27 PM by dobler »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM »
By the time FOX burns off the remaining episodes, we'll know Whedon's next project. Btw X, have you seen the episode called Belonging? (ep. 4) Has to be one of the most psychological and morally challenging stuff from Joss and company.

Haven't gotten as far as that,dobler. Still trying to find the free time to marathon.  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 06:46 PM »
Looking at Dollhouse's final run (tho I missed a few eps). It's impressive, ties in to a lot of what was glimpsed at in Epitaph.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 07:02 PM »
Maybe, but there's a saying, that behind every great artist is someone with a mallet, ready to conk him over the head once the work is finished. Hopefully Whedon is such an artist.

Excerpt from an exclusive interview with Chicago Tribune critic Maureen Ryan:

Ryan: Do you feel like you got to say what you wanted to say with "Dollhouse"? Will you walk away from it thinking. "The stuff that really mattered to me got said"? Or will you think that it didn’t get said because of those constraints we were talking about earlier?

Whedon: Ultimately, I think we got to touch on the important subjects. The structure and the tone of the show changed, but the basic premise was there and the cast and the writers and everybody did phenomenal work. Although I definitely felt some frustration at the show having to find itself and America getting to watch while it tried, I’m really proud of where we ended up and in fact was very clear on the way in which this could continue in a new paradigm and work for everybody, should it go on.

Ryan: Will it go on in any format of any kind?

Whedon: No, I don’t think so.

Ryan: No? Web series, a comic book, anything?

Whedon: No. I’m going to finish this. What’s interesting about it is there. I don’t feel like there is some unfulfilled thing that would be well served by [continuing the story]. If I make a Web series it’s not going to be owned by Fox. Let’s be very clear on that one. Or [owned by any studio or network] -- that's not a dis on Fox. But I’ll make [a Web series] of my own and I don’t think Eliza is dying to jump onto the tiny screen right now. And it doesn’t work as a comic [because it's] just people talking.

I’m not going to go and try and make a movie out of it because I’ve already made a movie where I had to explain who ten people who already know each other are. It was exhausting. So I think that we’ll just we’ll say, "Here is our best effort," go out with a bang and then we will move on. I think what we will end up having done is sort of this very glorious 26-hour miniseries.

Full article here: http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/12/dollhouse-fox-joss-whedon.html#more

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2010 at 01:08 PM »
Epitaph Two is actually pretty good, a fitting capstone for the series. Yet somehow I prefer the desperate, fragmented mystery of the first Epitaph.