Author Topic: If Brocka and Bernal were still alive today...  (Read 2920 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If Brocka and Bernal were still alive today...
« on: Apr 05, 2009 at 04:36 PM »
If Brocka and Bernal were still alive today, what movies would they have made or are still making? Would they jump on the digital bandwagon?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Brocka Marathon at the CCP!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM »
The Cultural Center of the Philippines
invites filmmakers, cineastes and Brockaphiles to

REMEMBERING BROCKA: Realities / Rarities
Saturday, April 25 at CCP Tanghalang Manuel Conde

In commemoration of the 70th birthday
of National Artist for Cinema Lino Brocka
(b. April 3, 1939 )

The free all-day event will be highlighted by screenings of three of his earliest and rarely-seen masterworks:

WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER (1969)
SANTIAGO (1970)
and
TUBOG SA GINTO (1971)

Each screening will be followed by a Q&A forum, featuring cast members and collaborators from his movies, along with other distinguished guests.

There will be a cocktail reception at 6:30pm , marking Brocka’s 70th birthday as well as the death anniversary of critic Agustin ‘Hammy’ Sotto (d. April 24, 2001) who was an early champion of Brocka’s works, not to mention, a staunch archivist who helped give birth to SOFIA (Society of Film Archivists).

The screenings of these rarely shown titles underscores the need and urgency for an archival system that will help preserve this legacy in order for future generations to appreciate these cinematic treasures. There are no surviving 35mm prints available on all three titles. What’s there to be screened are mere digital/dvd dubs of old, battered VHS copies. (What if “Mona Lisa” can only be seen as a digital reproduction on paper rather than as the original work on canvas?)

These early works—WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER, SANTIAGO and TUBOG SA GINTO—illustrate Brocka’s ability to forge his own signature, even while working within the commercial parameters of the studio system (the now-defunct Lea Productions produced these films as well as many of his other works in the 70s).

WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER may seem like a blatant re-working of “The Sound of Music” but Brocka worked magic with his cast (Dante Rivero, Boots Anson Roa, Liza Lorena, Gina Alajar, and Snooky in her first role) and turned the film into first-rate entertainment.

And SANTIAGO may seem like a rehash of another FPJ outing in the mold of his folk-superhero status where he mows down scores of enemies in a single rat-tat-tat shot. Instead, Brocka transformed what might have been a formulaic action movie into a thoughtful World War II about guilt and heroism, with Fernando Poe Jr. giving what is considered to be one of this best performances (perhaps side by side with “Asedillo”).

As for Lino Brocka’s TUBOG SA GINTO, this is perhaps the Filipino film that should be dubbed as “the mother of all Filipino gay movies” (especially now that it seems like some new, gay indie movie opens week after week). From its opening montage of Eddie Garcia lasciviously sucking the icing off his fingers as he ogles the crotch of two boys in their swimsuits to its graphic depiction of gay sex (yes, not even Heath and Jake in “Brokeback” can match the naked honesty onscreen by Eddie Garcia and Mario O’Hara), TUBOG was clearly way ahead of its time. Perhaps an anomaly by being a by-product of the “bomba” days in the late 60s/early 70s, TUBOG obviously benefitted from Brocka’s open homosexuality as well as from an era not yet marred by strict censorship.

Breakthroughs and all, Lino Brocka showed, even early in his career, that it was possible to rise above mediocre material by steering the film closer to his own personal sensibilities and by never condescending to his audience. (You could hear him say “let’s give them what they deserve” rather than “let’s give them what they want). Even in those days when the word “independent” wasn’t born yet, Brocka thought independently and acted independently. WANTED, SANTIAGO , and TUBOG might have been forgettable commercial, komiks-style fare, but they are not. In time, Brocka’s auteurist bent to shape his films his way later gave birth to his future masterpieces: “Maynila Sa Kuko Ng Liwanag,” “Insiang” and “Bayan Ko” among them. Those gritty neo-realist dramas share something with his early rarities: the stubborn will and tenacity of a true independent filmmaker.

(Thank you Ting Nebrida for the excellent write-up above!)

Schedule:

10:00AM
WANTED PERFECT MOTHER
(followed by a forum at 1:30PM)

3:00PM
SANTIAGO
(a forum follows immediately)

7:00PM
TUBOG SA GINTO
(followed by a forum)

Since the CCP Tanghalang Manuel Conde can only accommodate 100 persons, the screenings/fora will be on a first come, first served basis.

For more info, please call CCP Media Arts.

(Many thanks to Ms. Vicky Belarmino for the info.)
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
Cast and crew of WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER have been invited to grace the event this coming Saturday. They are still squeezing on the sked for Brocka's INA KA NG ANAK MO to fit because according to Vicky Belarmino this was the late Hammy Sotto's favorite Brocka film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: If Brocka and Bernal were still alive today...
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM »
Hey, what's the story on Wanted Perfect Mother? Did they find a betamax copy somewhere?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:49 AM »
A video copy was found in the U.S. If im not mistaken the source came from a vhs donated by Vincent Nebrida to CCP.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2009 at 09:50 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2009 at 01:32 PM »
So it isn't a case of Jojo to the rescue or something? Huh.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2009 at 07:56 PM »
Only Jojo can answer that, Noel.  ;)

Caught WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER at 10:00 a.m. screening this morning. The copy was quite good, except for a glitch, dark portion on the last part of the movie. Snooky as a child star is a head turner.......very cute.

RMN nice to see you again and had a blast with our conversations.

Offline fitz_gerald

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM »
Only Jojo can answer that, Noel.  ;)

Caught WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER at 10:00 a.m. screening this morning. The copy was quite good, except for a glitch, dark portion on the last part of the movie. Snooky as a child star is a head turner.......very cute.

RMN nice to see you again and had a blast with our conversations.

Got to catch all the 3 films and they're all great IMO!

the copies especially SANTIAGO were real pain in the @ss and I noticed that a lot of scenes were either missing or suddenly shifting to another even though the scene isn't finished yet... but who am I to complain?  I'm more than thankful to see a glimpse of these classics that never crossed my mind that I can see in my lifetime...and even starstruck seeing and talking in person with Mr. Danny Brocka and Ms. Boots Anson Roa :)

have to agree with you Sir Keating... Snooky is so cute and very natural in portraying Leleng(?) character...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2009 at 07:56 AM »
Was able to catch only Brocka's debut film WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER and a few minutes of SANTIAGO due to errands at home. I was with RMN & two other members from Titus Brandsma.

Fitz_gerald where are you seated? We were infront on the right side. I was not able to ask Vincent Nebrida if SANTIAGO was the same copy that they shown last time at NCCA in Intramuros. Yeah, I know all the feedback regarding the lost scenes from the movie.

Offline fitz_gerald

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2009 at 04:42 PM »
Was able to catch only Brocka's debut film WANTED: PERFECT MOTHER and a few minutes of SANTIAGO due to errands at home. I was with RMN & two other members from Titus Brandsma.

Fitz_gerald where are you seated? We were infront on the right side. I was not able to ask Vincent Nebrida if SANTIAGO was the same copy that they shown last time at NCCA in Intramuros. Yeah, I know all the feedback regarding the lost scenes from the movie.

I see! you're one of the four guys in front during Wanted: Perfect Mother! so you're one of the two guys who walked out the theater few minutes after Santiago began rolling....

I seated 3 rows immediately behind you until a couple in front of me came during WPM and in left side, 2nd row during Santiago. 

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:

Offline kamille

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009 at 02:06 PM »
Cinekatipunan.MOV presents

"BROCKAMANIA!"

26 films in 26 days.
The biggest retrospective on Lino Brocka ever!

This whole month of May is
BROCKA MONTH.
In celebration of Lino Brocka's
18th death anniversary (May 21, 1991).
Mondays to Saturdays,
5:30-7:30pm,
at Magnet Katipunan.

Also,
BROCKA NIGHT
on May 20, 9:30pm,
featuring The Brockas,
The Purplechickens,
Live Tilapia,
Los Chupacabras,
Patience Dear Juggernaut,
Big T,
Through The Lens,
& other cinematic bands.

Brought to you by
.MOV International Digital Film Festival.

BROCKALENDARYO:
May 1, Fri: Santiago (1970)
May 2, Sat: P/X (1982)

May 4, Mon: Palipat-Lipat, Papalit-Palit / Keep On Changing, Keep On Moving (1982)
May 5, Tue: Pasan Ko Ang Daigdig / I Carry The World (1987)
May 6, Wed: Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita / I Will Rise And Crush You (1989)
May 7, Thu: Gumising Ka, Maruja / Wake Up, Maruja (1978)
May 8, Fri: Hayop Sa Hayop / Beast To Beast (1978)
May 9, Sat: Kontrobersiyal / Controversial (1981)

May 11, Mon: Gumapang Ka Sa Lusak / Dirty Affair (1990)
May 12, Tue: Tubog Sa Ginto / Dipped In Gold (1971)
May 13, Wed: Cain & Abel (1982)
May 14, Thu: Miguelito, Ang Batang Rebelde / Miguelito, The Rebel Boy (1985)
May 15, Fri: Ina, Kapatid, Anak / Mother, Sister, Daughter (1979)
May 16, Sat: Macho Dancer (1989)

May 18, Mon: Stardoom (1971)
May 19, Tue: Ina Ka Ng Anak Mo / You’re The Mother Of Your Child (1979)
May 20, Wed: Angela Markado (1980)
BROCKA NIGHT (9:30pm-1am): featuring The Brockas, Los Chupacabras, Us 2 Evil 0, Live Tilapia
May 21, Thu: Tatlo, Dalawa, Isa / Three, Two, One (1974)
May 22, Fri: Ang Tatay Kong Nanay / My Father Is My Mother (1978)
May 23, Sat: Jaguar (1979)

May 25, Mon: Orapronobis (1989)
May 26, Rue: Bona (1980)
May 27, Wed: Bayan Ko: Kapit Sa Patalim / My Country: In Desperate Straits (1984)
May 28, Thu: Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang / Weighed But Found Wanting (1974)
May 29, Fri: Insiang (1976)
May 30, Sat: Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko Ng Liwanag / Manila: In The Claws Of Light (1975)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2009 at 07:52 AM »
Maricel Soriano on Bernal's HINUGOT SA LANGIT:

"I never did any workshop in my entire career except for this film. Never! It was one on one workshop with Ishmael Bernal. I was not in synch with the character when I went to the set when we shot the phone scene. Its my favorite scene in the movie. It was actually Bernal that I was talking to on the phone on that scene and I dont know kung paano ko huhugutin yung eksena since wala sa harap ko yung kausap ko. I was suppresing my character and I was so blessed to work with Bernal!"
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2009 at 08:29 AM »
That was the finest moment in the film and arguably the finest in her career.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2009 at 08:52 AM »
I concur, Noel. Have you revisit HINUGOT SA LANGIT, lately?

Maricel still regret doing only one film with Brocka the smorgasboard MOTHER DEAR. According to her Brocka used to visit her on the set of her drama tv show because Brocka was one of the best friend of Mel Chionglo, Maricel's director on the tv drama.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009 at 08:52 AM by keating »

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2009 at 09:24 PM »
Someone uploaded a 1988 interview of Lino Brocka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbFau8X38PI

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM »
I wonder how Brocka would react if he learns that his film Orapronobis (Fight For Us)  is being offered in downloadable form at Archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/Ora_Pro_Nobis

Could this mean that rights to the film has fallen to public domain?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Lino Brocka's last shooting day
« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM »
From the blog of Pete Lacaba......thanks for the link, Mon.

http://kapetesapatalim.blogspot.com/2009/05/lino-brockas-last-shooting-day.html

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2009 at 02:41 PM »
Thanks for the link--a really long day. I should read Ka Pete more than I am.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2009 at 06:22 AM »
Gloria Romero on Ishmael Bernal's NAGBABAGANG LUHA:

"I asked Bernie on how will I attack my character as the mother-in-law of Lorna Tolentino on the set. He just said.....kung ano ang nakikita mo sa akin sa set, yun ang character mo!"