Author Topic: Wharfedale diamond 10 series  (Read 109777 times)

Offline DYC

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wharfedale diamond 10 series
« Reply #60 on: Sep 17, 2009 at 09:29 AM »
wharfedale 10 will be available at my shop this weekend. we'll be having the 10.5, 10.1, 10cm and 10cs first. :)

alright. :)  ;D

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #61 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 07:45 PM »
wow, the 10.5 is nearing the polk tsi300's territory. audition nalang ang katapat nito.  :D

Offline kalash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: Sep 18, 2009 at 11:48 PM »
The 10.1 in parksquare 1 is priced at 7k.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #63 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM »
The 10.1 in parksquare 1 is priced at 7k.

how about the diamond 9.1? will the price go down or will they phase it out? is the price difference "justified"? sulit ba bumili ng series 10?  ::)

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM »
ang ganda ng porma ng diamond 10 series. the front has a glossy black finish. :) come check it out at my shop. :)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #65 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 03:58 AM »
Good Afternoon RNIverson,

You might like to try Denon? Have been using the Denon Wharfe match and have been happy with it ;D

I agree! ;D I too use Denon to power up my Wharfes Diamond 8 Series  ;D

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #66 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 04:00 AM »
Thanks! But not sure if I can afford Denon. Thinking of experimenting with Onkyo  ;)

Sir, Denon and Onkyo fall under same price range. I bought my Denon last December and when I was canvassing for a new receiver, the prices for both the Denon and the Onkyo were relatively close. :)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM »
Saw this at Spectra at Park Square today.  Ganda.  The black front panel is actually in piano finish.  The 7k price is either SRP or not fully discounted yet since the 9.1 is 6.1k rin daw.  So subject to discount pa for cash. 

Anybody able to go to Avshop and audition these speakers?

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 02:33 AM »
Saw this at Spectra at Park Square today.  Ganda.  The black front panel is actually in piano finish.  The 7k price is either SRP or not fully discounted yet since the 9.1 is 6.1k rin daw.  So subject to discount pa for cash. 

Anybody able to go to Avshop and audition these speakers?

I was there kanina! O 'we"were there. :D i was with Nelson and 2 other guys, I believe si Titopepe yung isa and the other one was Protege.

Yes, it is very handsome. with its piano finish. 8) We heard the 10.5, though am not in the position to compare it with the 9.5, hindi ko pa kasi naririnig si 9.5.

But I can say it sounded better with the HK than the Denon.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 03:19 PM »
Aaaah nauna ka na nagpost!  ;D ;D ;D

Auditioned (rather, I should say I started the break-in) of the 10.5's yesterday. Brought my own gear to test it with,* and almopst fresh out of the box, the improvements over the previous models was immediately noticeable. I had an 8.4 and before I bought the Pi10 auditioned a a 9.5, and both previous floorstanders in stock form always had time alignment issues, where notes at certain frequencies were dragged up or down by the driver playing them. Now the 3-way used a specialized driver for each freq range (from a midwoofer used for midrange to a dome midrange), and the second thing I noticed was that the t/a issues were almost non-existent, despite sitting 3.5ft from the speakers. Despite the LCD TV between them, the 10.5's also had considerable depth, and cymbals weren't dragged to the edges of the soundstage.

Tonal quality was a bit dark overall, but vocals and strings playing at those mid-hi freqs didn't sound nasal, something I noted when I tried the 9.3 in 2007. Comparing these 17k speakers to the 70k B&W 683, I of course liked the forward but not in-your-face presentation of the 683, BUT the mid-bass had one thing to gripe about. Maybe it's the dual bass drivers, but almost all drums sounded like the bass drum on the B&W. On the 10.5, everything that was hit by the sticks had a fair amount of tonal distinction between them, even on drum rolls. Just don't expect the same grab-your-attention style of Focals and Dyns, but definitely more natural than the 683.

For movies, we used Denon 1910 and HK 255. I liked the latter better: the big fight scene at the college campus in Hulk (BluRay) had moresparkling details, more explosion impact, and a more audible and up-front soundtrack (some may not like that last part though). On music, despite my usual preference for HK AVR's because of i like hwo they perform on audio/concert dvds, the Denon sounded better. The dark sound of the Diamond 10 was darker and nearly flat dynamically on the 255, with some bass notes bloated and lacking detail.

For the tweakers, I'm not sure how easy it will be to yank the crossover out, as the terminal panel at the back is even smaller than in the Diamond 9. I do expect good caps to be a good way to spend whatever you save on these babies.

And BTW...did I mention that they just looked stunning in person? If I didn't know the B&W's there were B&W's, and had they been of comparable size, I'd easily mistake the 10.5 to be the more expensive set, though I admit it won't be an easy choice as I like the matte gray front panels on the 600s too. I tell you now, the photos do not do them justice. I mean, for budget speakers I thought those Insignia with coax drivers were pretty, but the Diamond 10 trumps that. Instead of just piano black all over there's nice vinyl at the sides, plus the aluminum trim on the drivers is just...well...wow.

Can't wait to hear them once they're broken in  :o

*Transport: avshop's PS3
  DAC: Lite DAC-AH, with Coem Audio mods by Ferds
  Amp: NAD304 modded with IEC male socket, using Mr.H's power cable

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 03:23 PM »
its the dome midrange that arouses my curiosity in this range. much like the early AR models
pic from the net>
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2009 at 03:27 PM by ojof00l »

Offline DYC

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 20, 2009 at 09:44 PM »
I managed to get a chance to try the 10.5 in avshop's place. It was great for me. :)

Offline natosan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 08:57 AM »
i'm not an audio expert by any means and i'm just giving my review based on my 1 day experience with the diamond 10.1 and 10.cm which i tried out at home last night. please note that the set-up in inside my bedroom and not accoustically optimal. also, the 10.1s were placed in a wall mount. i've had the 9 series for almost a year now.

at first, i was quite happy because the highs were really more revealing than the 9 series. that was really my issue with the 9.1 even after having the tweeter caps upgraded. i could finally hear the ringing of the church bell in the "Viva La Vida" BBC concert of Coldplay. after that, i tried some audiophile voices cd and again i would say the improvement in the highs was pretty evident.

however, when i tried my bossa nova and percussion cds, i noticed that the mids and lows were no longer distinct compared to my 9.1s. the mids of the 9.1 was definitely firmer and bass much tighter.  i'm not sure if this will get better after the break-in. it'll probably get better with more distance from the wall but not that significant i guess.

now i'm confused  ??? on which series to retain. i wish i could place the remove the woofer of the 9.1 and put it in the 10.1. ;D

the looks of the 10s was definitely better than its predecessor  though but sound quality of course is the priority.

need your advice, guys....

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 09:14 AM »
i'm not an audio expert by any means and i'm just giving my review based on my 1 day experience with the diamond 10.1 and 10.cm which i tried out at home last night. please note that the set-up in inside my bedroom and not accoustically optimal. also, the 10.1s were placed in a wall mount. i've had the 9 series for almost a year now.

at first, i was quite happy because the highs were really more revealing than the 9 series. that was really my issue with the 9.1 even after having the tweeter caps upgraded. i could finally hear the ringing of the church bell in the "Viva La Vida" BBC concert of Coldplay. after that, i tried some audiophile voices cd and again i would say the improvement in the highs was pretty evident.

however, when i tried my bossa nova and percussion cds, i noticed that the mids and lows were no longer distinct compared to my 9.1s. the mids of the 9.1 was definitely firmer and bass much tighter.  i'm not sure if this will get better after the break-in. it'll probably get better with more distance from the wall but not that significant i guess.

now i'm confused  ??? on which series to retain. i wish i could place the remove the woofer of the 9.1 and put it in the 10.1. ;D

the looks of the 10s was definitely better than its predecessor  though but sound quality of course is the priority.

wait a little longer, break.in muna 10.1

if i were you, dagdagan ko na lang ng tweeter ang 9.1. kung may ribbon tweeters da best! thats what i did to my infinity primus 160
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2009 at 09:22 AM by ojof00l »

Offline vaportrail

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 09:29 AM »

however, when i tried my bossa nova and percussion cds, i noticed that the mids and lows were no longer distinct compared to my 9.1s. the mids of the 9.1 was definitely firmer and bass much tighter.  i'm not sure if this will get better after the break-in. it'll probably get better with more distance from the wall but not that significant i guess.

now i'm confused  ??? on which series to retain. i wish i could place the remove the woofer of the 9.1 and put it in the 10.1. ;D

the looks of the 10s was definitely better than its predecessor  though but sound quality of course is the priority.

Hmm...based sa review nyo sir, i'd probably go for the 10.2 instead of the 10.1 for that extra bass definition and extension. hunch ko lang mas okey yung 10.2 :)

Offline ASuL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM »
so magkano ang discounted prices?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 11:00 AM »

some of the bass is affected because its wall mounted. the ports of the 10.1 are in the back unlike the 9.1 which are in the front. better to put it on a speaker stand so it won't be so close to the wall.  but it should get better after the break in. :)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 01:23 PM »
Better to try to place it away from the wall.  As Avshop said, having rear ports, they should be a little farther from the wall.

If you have to wall-mount it, others are saying that its a good idea to put foam in the ports. 

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 01:30 PM »
I won't wall-mount any speakers if it's for HiFi use, aside from the port it's not as ideal for controlling vibrations. You have just enough there to keep it from falling. I won't even for mains and centers, unless the HT and audio set-ups are in the same tiny room. Try regular sand-filled stands and play around with the placement and aiming. If you have to save cash and get Perfect View, check if the bottom plates are perfectly flat. I've had two pairs before and each set had one uneven bottom plate, ended up using hte even ones for the audio set-up and the uneven ones for the PC's satellite speakers.

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
thanks guys for your comments.  :)

actually, if i had enough space i would have gone for the floor standing speakers. unfortunately, i don't so i'm stuck wall mounting my speakers. also, the placement is safer from my curious two little boys. at least the 10.1 tweeter have grilles already

re break-in, though i recall my 9.1 did improve over time, i'm not too confident the bass will catch up to my liking. the mids should open up eventully just like the 9s.

i only have until tomorrow to decide whether to keep the 10.1 or return it to the store. i bought already the 10.cm which should be great for movies after the break-in.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 11:59 AM »
the rear ported 10s might pose some placement problem esp to those with limited space. rearported speakers need abit of space from the wall (usually 1meter or more)

i hope distros have free foam bungs to plug the ports. (i used socks when i still didnt have foams  ;D )
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM by ojof00l »

Offline zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM »
had a short audition of the 10.1 the other day at spectra, compared it with the 9.1 and the anniversary edition
i actually passed by avshop, cause its closer to my place kaso close sila  :-[ kaya diretso sa makati

had the same impression as with natosan

if your familiar with spectra, i guess everybody does  :), the audition area doesn't have walls behind it and pretty small and a bit cramped with other speaker. the bass of the 9.1 is really tighter. the annv ed also is somewhat different on the mids and highs, parang little more pronounce, thou not much, really don't know how to term it.

i guess i should have also compared it with br2, but due to time constraints, i wasn't able to....

puro black palang daw, would love to see the walnut  ;D  ;D  ;D

hope other would post more feedbacks  :)

Offline sultan72

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #82 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
any updated feedback/review sa mga new owners ng wharfe 10s?
for movies is the dialogue clear even at low levels...?

need help w/c way should i go for the fronts all things considered...:

wharfe 10.5 and 10 cm with denon 1910
or the more expensive
b&w 685 and b&w htm 62 with denon 1910

i've auditioned the b&w fronts na with onkyo 607 and they sounded great..
for those who have heard both na how will the floorstanding 10.5s and 10cm 
measure up againsnt the b&w bookshelf 685s and htm 62 combo?

thanks

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 03:59 PM »
@sultan72,

We were using an Infinity center as they didn't have the matched Wharfe center yet. But given the characteristics of the mains, out of the box at least, they might be a little warm, but not necessarily sacrificing the definition. I'll post here if I get to audition the centers  :)

Offline sultan72

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #84 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 04:23 PM »
@sultan72,

We were using an Infinity center as they didn't have the matched Wharfe center yet. But given the characteristics of the mains, out of the box at least, they might be a little warm, but not necessarily sacrificing the definition. I'll post here if I get to audition the centers  :)

thank you sir ProtegeManiac

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 07:24 PM »
sultan72, the 10cm in my humble opinion is pretty good. well, at least relative to my 9cs.

i retested today comparing my 9.1 and 10.1 and i would definitely say overall 10.1 is the clear winner. placement really is the key. i tried placing it on the front side my av rack and the lows did improve.

now, since i have the 10cm already, i'm contemplating on trying out the 10.2 instead since they have the same woofer size as the 10cm. sorry for this newbie question, a bigger woofer will improve the bass but slightly degrade the mids, right? i tried setting at 5 channel stereo and the 10cm performed pretty well and it was as close to the wall as the 10.1.

Offline ASuL

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 10:33 AM »
no walnut yet?

syet...

Offline DYC

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM »

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM »

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM »
ang bilis ng mga tao dito. di pa man lang nag-iinit ang diamond 10's dito sa pinas mukhang madami na nakakuha!    :o

SARS........... A-T-T-A-C-K!!!!   ;D
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS