Author Topic: List of Viva DVDs to avoid  (Read 54259 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: List of Viva DVDs to avoid
« Reply #30 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM »
Was trying to look for an old post re Viva's sub-par releases before I realized that it's been nearly 4 years since I wrote about this.

For non-Fox and Disney/Buena Vista titles, Viva tends to go for full-frame analog masters aka Betacam due to the licensing costs involved. These are the same masters they use for VCD, and since the bulk of the original video market is apparently still stuck in this full-frame format, doesn't make financial sense for them to pay twice.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
Was trying to look for an old post re Viva's sub-par releases before I realized that it's been nearly 4 years since I wrote about this.

For non-Fox and Disney/Buena Vista titles, Viva tends to go for full-frame analog masters aka Betacam due to the licensing costs involved. These are the same masters they use for VCD, and since the bulk of the original video market is apparently still stuck in this full-frame format, doesn't make financial sense for them to pay twice.

in other words, screw you ;D :D ;) :)

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM »

If this is the case, why do they even bother releasing locally-pressed DVD's if the quality would be just the same with VCD's? Is this a conscious effort on their part to deceive consumers? Tsk tsk!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #33 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM »
I don't think it's intentional deception. It's a question of what makes financial sense to them which, unfortunately, makes no sense to us. ;D

Personally, I don't even look beyond the Fox and Disney/BV shelves.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2009 at 07:05 PM »
add Confidence, Solstice and Catacombs.

Offline reinerr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 01, 2009 at 04:19 PM »
No, Viva even has this on its website: link

By the way, all those other movies in their website have been released as crappy DVD's.

yes, naforesee ko na na magiging crappy and slumdog dahil nakita ko na viva din ang nagrelease theatrically

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 11:30 AM »
While still to be definitely confirmed, the regular version of Confession of a Shopaholic seems to be another addition to the list of DVD to avoid.  The more expensive (Php 750) slipcased Special Edition is DVD9, but the regular Php 450 version is advertised on the front cover as 'No frills, No Menus, No subtitles, movie only.'  It seems a fitting description of a Viva title to avoid. 

Viva is calling these 'No frills' titles as Easy DVD, go figure...  It's their own version of Disney's 'fast play' except with Easy DVD, you get shortchanged...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 02:50 PM »
Zatoichi ???

... not sure though if it was from Viva but it sure was a crappy release

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2384
« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2009 at 04:11 PM »
I feel sorry for those who will get fooled by these "viva crap", especially those balikbayans, foreigners, or those locals here who don't know about this. I think lots of foreigners get fooled :(. Imagine they go "wow, 375 to 450 pesos, thats just 7 to 9 dollars" oops. Kawawa, another "only in the Philippines" bad image. Tsk tsk tsk :(

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
add Open Water.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 07:53 PM »
It would be nice to invite Viva to see this thread and compel them to react. They should realize that more and more people have grown knowledgeable about their bad-quality DVDs.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 08:36 PM »
New additions to the wall of shame:

Ip Man
Death Defying Acts

Confession of a Shopaholic the 1-disc no-frills version, the 2-discs deluxe version is DVD9

AVOID...

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #42 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 08:53 PM »
^ awww... I was so looking forward to Ip Man.  sayang naman...  :(

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #43 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:09 PM »
New additions to the wall of shame:

Ip Man

AVOID...

I've been waiting for this.

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1242
« Reply #44 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM »
Yes, what a shame on Ip Man. Would have bought this....

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM »
nadale ako ng "Avatar, The last Airbender" box set .....

ang pangit ng video quality .... para siyang nag double image .... kaka hilo panuurin!

Avoid it like a bad disease! 

di nako bibili ng  Viva releases. i wished i saw this thread before hand... kakabili ko lang ng DVD kahapon. my DL is way better pa!

akala ko nakatipid nako ...... very bad product!

Offline migs26

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 11:41 AM »
pls add:

Rules of Engagement

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
Folks, what's the easiest way to spot these sub par releases aside from bringing a printout of the list whenever I go to the video shops?  ;) This is my first foray into the world of legit movies and I'm hoping I won't get discouraged. I came to appreciate owning original videos while browsing this site and i really want to start with my own collection.
Thanks in advance.
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 02:11 PM »
Folks, what's the easiest way to spot these sub par releases aside from bringing a printout of the list whenever I go to the video shops?  ;) This is my first foray into the world of legit movies and I'm hoping I won't get discouraged. I came to appreciate owning original videos while browsing this site and i really want to start with my own collection.
Thanks in advance.

One way is to look at the back of the DVD.  A good, quality DVD should tell you its specifications.  Video, Audio and other Special Features.  For me, a desirable dvd should have Anamorphic Widescreen Video Format or Enhanced for 16:9 tv screen.  Should have an audio of at least 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS sound ( others have a 6.1 EX and 7.1 format ).  Ideally, the disc used should be a Dual Layered disc.  You can see all, or most of these info, at the back cover. 

Here are some examples.  Special Features specified.  The bottom portion tells you that it's in a Widescreen Video Format, 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS, Subtitles used, and if it's a Dual Layered disc.

You can also look for the Region coding but I don't want to confuse you with too much info.  As you go along with this hobby, you'll get the hang of it for sure.

Now, kapag wala yun DVD nung mga information na ganito, chances are they are of poor quality.  Chances are they belong to the Viva Releases ;D

When in doubt, mag post ka lang dito sa site and for sure, madami tutulong sa yo if it's a good buy or not.

Good luck.  Welcome to the hobby ...

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 09:33 PM »
Thanks in advance.

If it's a new release and it's Php 375, then chances are it's DVD5 and belong to this list.

For older releases, this is not foolproof but most releases that carry the Viva Logo (not wordings like those Disney releases, but logo) on the DVD spine and backcover are suspect. The Viva Logo is shown below.

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 01:24 PM »
thanks mattia and techdude. I'll scan some titles later in landmark trinoma. I saw the warner home video display but didn't get the chance to linger. and its beside their video section so i can browse more titles.

saan ba pinakamura bumili?  ;D
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 01:45 PM »
thanks mattia and techdude. I'll scan some titles later in landmark trinoma. I saw the warner home video display but didn't get the chance to linger. and its beside their video section so i can browse more titles.

saan ba pinakamura bumili?  ;D

Pag may sale.  Check out the schedule of sales and other promos here at pinoydvd.  Also, mura na rin dito sa pinoydvd basta active ka lang maghanap ng mga good deals.  Good luck bro.

Offline nomosa

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 07:55 PM »
Avoid Twilight DVD.

Awful quality +no subtitles!

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 10:30 PM »
how about Con Air?

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 17, 2009 at 11:14 PM »
how about Con Air?
Based on what others had posted here, Con Air is DVD9 BUT it's Non-Anamorphic widescreen, DTS yata.  I am not sure if newer copies on sale are still the same, since those posts are circa-2007, but I don't think there's a new edition of Con Air available.

Offline surg

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 18, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
thanks sir! ;D

Offline maniladvdman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 04:53 AM »
Please include Brothers & Sisters Season 1 in the list.

My friend swore that her whole weekend viewing experience was ruined by this Viva release.  Ironically, she got it as a gift from Viva.  Good thing, she did not pay for it.  No menu, no indexing and then for almost a full hour she got a blank (audio and video).  In one of the discs, the sequence of the episodes were switched!

This is appalling.  I avoid buying R3, when I can.  I used to buy Warner releases.  I don't mind paying more for R1 releases, as long as I don't experience anything like this.

I told my friend to return the DVDs and give Viva hell for this gross disregard for quality.

Conclusion:  Not even the Disney/Buena Vista releases are spared.  Brothers & Sisters is a Buena Vista release. 

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 07:54 AM »
Please include Brothers & Sisters Season 1 in the list.
Are you sure?  Anyone can confirm this?  Brothers and Sisters S1 is a Buena Vista/ABC release and by-and-large, most of those are DVD9s and are okay.  And Brothers and Sisters S1 is pricey (even by TV series standards), if it's substandard, then the more it's a thumbs down.  Hindi kaya pre-release/demo or something iyung binigay (after all, it's a gift).  If I had time, I will try to check this with my favorite video sources....

Thanks for reporting.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #58 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM »
maniladvdman, unless I actually see a copy of Brothers & Sisters Season One R3, I'm really sorry but I have to choose NOT to believe what your friend claims.

I've purchased many other R3 Buena Vista series releases of Viva like Ugly Betty Season One, Samantha Who? Season One, Private Practice Season One, and Lost Season Three. ALL of these are excellent, first-rate DVD9s that mirror their R1/R2 counterparts. It would seem too weird for the Brothers and Sisters release to be different from the rest of these and the only one of substandard quality.

Also, I checked the packaging of Brothers & Sisters Season 1 R3 today. Even the listed special features are identical to the R1. With this, it would seem very weird if the discs weren't virtually identical copies of the R1 version.

Baka naman Viva employee yung nagbigay, pero pirata yung niregalo?  ;D

If I'm proven wrong, I'll apologize to your friend, but it really seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 19, 2009 at 09:20 PM »
or dahil baka gift lang, kaya ganu'n. sort of a demo copy. baka pwede pa papalitan 'yun.
Absolutely no regrets!