Author Topic: Best CD Player Under 15k  (Read 24804 times)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best CD Player Under 15k
« Reply #30 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 10:05 PM »
Is this the most affordable tube player currently on the market? ???

I think there's an entry-level BADA Tube CDP for around 20k.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #31 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 10:39 PM »
I think there's an entry-level BADA Tube CDP for around 20k.

San po available to sir? :) HD-19 ba yung model? or HD-22?  :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009 at 10:47 PM by Stagea »

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 11:10 PM »
I think that's the HD19, you can ask Sights and Sounds in EDSA Shang, 4th Floor. I think the HD22 is SS, or the one model above that. Then the HD32 is the top-loader.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:19 AM »
I think that's the HD19, you can ask Sights and Sounds in EDSA Shang, 4th Floor. I think the HD22 is SS, or the one model above that. Then the HD32 is the top-loader.

Thanks much. :) Tignan ko na lang dun over the weekend.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #34 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:29 AM »
i think the one available at S&S is the Bada HD-22SE @ P26K ;)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 10:29 AM »
I think they can get teh HD19 from MAtZTER. If not S&S there's also this shop in Timog, forgot the name but that's where I get amphenol plugs as I used to hang out in T.Morato.

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 11:34 AM »
something to try if you really want it tubey....

get any of the cdp u would like to have with your system and try to qualify if you would like the sound of adding an X10D or X10v3 inbetween the cdp and the linestage preamp.

this is more practical and flexible instead of going for a built in tube output.

just my thought...

Sir,

Can I use these hardware with my existing cdp?

Do I have to purchase these two units at the same time?

Tnx

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
it can be used inbetween any source and line stage preamp. i am using 1 in between my cdp and linestage, and another 1 inbetween my phono preamp and linestage.

you only need 1 but daisy-chaining them multiplies the effect which could either be judged as better or not, dependig on your system and your persona preference.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:32 PM »
it can be used inbetween any source and line stage preamp. i am using 1 in between my cdp and linestage, and another 1 inbetween my phono preamp and linestage.

you only need 1 but daisy-chaining them multiplies the effect which could either be judged as better or not, dependig on your system and your persona preference.

Which set-up will produce a better sound?

1. Maintain my existing cdp and add a dac/buffer hardware  or

2.  Simply buy a new cdp with better dac?

Tnx

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
both options will produce better sound. however, the degree of improvement varies with the equipments that you will be adding and/or changing.

if you could tell us what are the existing gears and the thing you want to achieve which triggerd your idea of upgrading, then we might have more solid recommendations.

its really important that you know what you want to achieve first prior changing anything in your system. changing them just for the sake of upgrading wouldnt lead you anywhere.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
Sir Accastil,

My current cdp is a K/H HD710 ('97 model); Teac AG-D9260 avr and B&W 601.

I want my audio to have a wide soundstage, rich midrange and sweet top-end.

Any recommendation sir?

If I may ask sir what is your existing audio set-up?  Would appreciate also your journey to audio nirvana,

Tnx

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 06:41 PM »
I think they can get teh HD19 from MAtZTER. If not S&S there's also this shop in Timog, forgot the name but that's where I get amphenol plugs as I used to hang out in T.Morato.

Would the shop happen to be Audible Illusions? I wasn't able to check out their CDPs, as I just checked Ashley's PSBs last time I visited.

OT: The Synchrony One sounds real good.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 09:30 PM »
I'd vote for the new CDP. It's not just the DAC that will be an improvement, but most likely the output stage too. Why not try a DAC, a non-OS one like the DAC-AH to give you a completely different flavour?

Would the shop happen to be Audible Illusions? I wasn't able to check out their CDPs, as I just checked Ashley's PSBs last time I visited.

OT: The Synchrony One sounds real good.

Ah, there, thanks! Shame on me, I totally forgot the shop name  :-[

Did you like the PSBs? I tried them out around a year ago with the NAD C315 (I compared it to my NAD 304) but even with the NAD flagship dual mono the bass of hte PSBs sounded like an uncontrollable mudslide. The 304 sounded a bit more controlled but then again maybe it had less response in that region.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2009 at 09:32 PM by ProtegeManiac »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 01:21 AM »
Ah, there, thanks! Shame on me, I totally forgot the shop name  :-[

Did you like the PSBs? I tried them out around a year ago with the NAD C315 (I compared it to my NAD 304) but even with the NAD flagship dual mono the bass of hte PSBs sounded like an uncontrollable mudslide. The 304 sounded a bit more controlled but then again maybe it had less response in that region.

I had PSB monitors last month, but decided to replace them because of the same reason. The lower frequencies don't have that urgency or speed. They do excel in the vocal region, and have sweet highs without hurting extension too much.

The Synchrony is definitely one of their good products. It is a very noticeable improvement over the Imagine line, and has tunable ports which takes care of the muddy bass when tuned right. I've heard speaks from the Alpha, Image, Imagine and Synchrony lines, and I think the Image and Synchrony lines stand out in their respective price points.

The PSBs have a laid back sound, and pairing them with NAD equipment (warm signature) may be the reason for the excessive lows in your experience (especially if you purchased tower speaks). NAD and PSB might be from the same group, but a more forward amp and cdp may just be a better match if you'd like a more athletic bottom end with these speaks.

I also vote for a new CDP. Maybe he can grab a unit with a better transport, dac and output stage. :)

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 09:57 AM »
@lakambini,

Are you using the digital inputs on the TEAC?

@Stagea,

Didnt get the PSBs, was jsut trying out the C315 vs my 304 at the time, and also wanted to try the 304 on a variety of other speakers just to see how far up I can go for speaker upgrades.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:30 AM »
Sir Accastil,

My current cdp is a K/H HD710 ('97 model); Teac AG-D9260 avr and B&W 601.

I want my audio to have a wide soundstage, rich midrange and sweet top-end.

Any recommendation sir?

If I may ask sir what is your existing audio set-up?  Would appreciate also your journey to audio nirvana,

Tnx

bro, if the 97 hk cpd model sounds the same as the new ones, these are normally laidback. the teac is not familiar to me. the 601 is ok as i find it neutral though not very refined and smooth sounding as the better BS options.

if wider stage, richer mids, and sweeter highs would be your objective of changing anything, i dont think its going to be easy if you want to hit all of it in a single shot :). coming from a HK cdp, the azur and rotel cdp would definitely give u those but not to the extent you could have wanted....but then, you could start from there.

if you would ask me, there is more gain in having the teac upgraded into separates than changing the source at this point in time. this is mostly beneficial especially if you like to listen loud.

my personal preference for sound goes for someting very detailed, a bit forward, a bit bright, all-rounder, extremely clear, extremely quiet background.

the combination of all the things in my current system so far has given me every reqt i need..konting improvement pa for the "extremely quiet background" thing as i still hear small hiss during very loud volume levels. im not even sure if its possible to get rid of it.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:35 AM »
I had PSB monitors last month, but decided to replace them because of the same reason. The lower frequencies don't have that urgency or speed. They do excel in the vocal region, and have sweet highs without hurting extension too much.

The Synchrony is definitely one of their good products. It is a very noticeable improvement over the Imagine line, and has tunable ports which takes care of the muddy bass when tuned right. I've heard speaks from the Alpha, Image, Imagine and Synchrony lines, and I think the Image and Synchrony lines stand out in their respective price points.

The PSBs have a laid back sound, and pairing them with NAD equipment (warm signature) may be the reason for the excessive lows in your experience (especially if you purchased tower speaks). NAD and PSB might be from the same group, but a more forward amp and cdp may just be a better match if you'd like a more athletic bottom end with these speaks.

I also vote for a new CDP. Maybe he can grab a unit with a better transport, dac and output stage. :)

the synchronous line is very impressive if paired with the right gears. i agree, it sounds a little laid back and demonstrates very good bass not the same as the lower end lines.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:39 AM »
@lakambini,

No, sir, am using the built-in dac of the cdp

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
amx el34 poweramp 25wpc
bom preamp 6922/6dj8 tubes
onkyo integra dx7711 cdp
victor K2 xlz621 cdp(opamp burrbrown 2132 & 2134)
ribbon planar speakers
bay audio subwoofer
qed s.a.xt wire
qed qunex 1 & 2 ic

Sir I observed that:

1.  you use tube pre-amp and power amp, hindi ba sir malakas sakuryente ito?  And can tube amplifiers make my b&w601 sing?  Just curious of this tube sound, got to hear one in the future.

2.  ribbon speakers, are they really sweet-sounding compared to textile and metal dome tweeters?  I was contemplating before in getting a pair Dali Ikon2, unfortunately m a h a l.

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:49 AM »
messrs Stagea and ProtegewManiac

What cdp will you recommend?

Marantz cd5003
CambridgeAudio 640c v2
Nad c545

Tnx

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #50 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 10:59 AM »
Sir I observed that:

1.  you use tube pre-amp and power amp, hindi ba sir malakas sakuryente ito?  And can tube amplifiers make my b&w601 sing?  Just curious of this tube sound, got to hear one in the future.

2.  ribbon speakers, are they really sweet-sounding compared to textile and metal dome tweeters?  I was contemplating before in getting a pair Dali Ikon2, unfortunately m a h a l.

1. contrary to my initial apprehension, hindi malakas sa kuryente tube amp as compared to my other ss amps before- hk930 vintage receiver 110v and now sansui au9500 integrated 100v. yes, i think my el34 pp 25wpc can make your bw601 sing. i had a bw601s2 88db before and now still own a bw602s2 90db.

2. yes depending on your matching gears, ribbon tweeters are best for me.

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 11:14 AM »
Sir lakambini,

My 2 cents,

With your current system, my feeling is that the TEAC receiver might be the weaker link than the HK CDP. You might consider trying out pre-owned stereo amps. In the marketplace, the Marantz Esoteric and Rotel RA-02 looks tempting.  ;D

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 11:43 AM »
Sir rommymartinez,

you're right, magkasundo lang kami sa presyo ng rotel ako na kukuha noon.  tnx for your input.  but in fairness to teac, their audio is more acceptable to my ears than the pio and yam entrylvls, especially in loud volumes.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 01:03 PM »
@lakambini,

No, sir, am using the built-in dac of the cdp

Marantz cd5003
CambridgeAudio 640c v2
Nad c545

Tnx

I agree with romymartinez, whether you use the digital or analog input the TEAC is probably the weak link in your system. Although the sound does start from the source unit the 601s might benefit from a different amp. If you're willing to spend 15k on a CDP, i suggest you try out similarly priced integrated amps. You can try 5wpc SET from AMX, the NAD C315 or the Bada SS integrated amp.

Of those CDPs though, I can't make a recommendation as I have not spent enough time listening to them. Most I've had was 15mins with the 640 and I didnt like sound, must be the MS speakers they had in 5th Ave though. I've always liked NAD CDPs though, I jsut have a lot of gripes about the grainy and sybillant highs on the C515BEE+C315 combo. But since I've always enjoyed the C520, C521 and C525, then most likely the C545 would perform better than those.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 01:14 PM »

Marantz cd5003
CambridgeAudio 640c v2
Nad c545

Tnx

Everyone else raised a great point. Replacing the Teac receiver with the Rotel integrated amp in the FS section will probably be a very noticeable gain. :)

Of the 3 CDPs, the 640C V2 might reveal details better and show off the Rotel speed. On the other hand, the C545 will likely give you a wider stage and a less fatiguing listen. I'm not sure if the CD5003 is comparable to the C545 and the 640C, but I also like the expressive vocals that I've heard in most Marantz players. It's really how you like your sound.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #55 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 02:01 PM »
if you're into jap surplus cdp
check this out. imo its better than the marantz cd67se mk2 (i formerly owned)
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=98549.msg1029071#new

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 02:53 PM »
Sir ojof00l,

Tnx for the offer, will take it into consideration.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 03:01 PM »

Marantz cd5003
CambridgeAudio 640c v2
Nad c545

Tnx

If between these 3 brands you mentioned, I'd strongly suggest the 640c, but if you can get your hands on a Marantz 6002, then better pa ;)

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #58 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
another point of consideration ...

when i bought my CDP, i bought it because of it's matching looks with my receiver. (among others)

a good side effect was that the receiver remote automatically can control the CDP :)
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2009 at 03:13 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 03:14 PM »
sir macdon;

Have you already compared the two?  What are your impressions of these cdps?  What are their stregths and weaknesses?

Tnx