Author Topic: Cambridge Audio Azur 650C  (Read 4135 times)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Cambridge Audio Azur 650C
« on: Jul 09, 2009 at 12:43 PM »

650C CD Player - Moving up a gear!

Taking performance even higher, the 650C builds on the 550C by optimising a pair of WM8740 24bit/ 192kHzcapable DACs implemented in a dual differential configuration. Since each channel has its own DAC to process information, completely separate and symmetrical analogue filter circuitry can be implemented for excellent imaging. The 650C also features the more sophisticated Four-Pole Dual Differential Double Virtual Earth Balanced version of this filter resulting in an incredibly low noise floor, barely measurable distortion and ultimately unprecedented levels of performance.

After extensive listening tests, Cambridge Audio’s engineers decided that it was possible to raise the
performance of the trusted Wolfson WM8740 DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to even greater levels and so this legendary 24bit/192kHz-capable DAC proudly features once again. But now, it’s been coupled to a new version of our proprietary Double Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology with Bessel Coefficients resulting in even greater musicality. These Wolfson DACs also feature a selectable digital filter with two settings enabling you to tailor output to best match your taste.

But arguably the most important development is the introduction of an entirely new in-house designed servo solution. Whereas many ‘comparable’ CD players utilise an inferior CD/DVD-ROM derived drive, the 650C takes full advantage of Cambridge Audio’s audio-only, CD transport which is coupled to our new highly sophisticated S3 Custom CD ServoTM. This third generation audiophile servo employs an all-new chipset and the latest double-sided surface-mount technology for ultra short signal paths with freedom from wire links. The net result gives the 650C extraordinary ability to retrieve maximum digital information whilst maintaining extremely low jitter; the digital noise that affects your listening pleasure.

The 650C’s well-proven transport has been re-worked to facilitate even quieter operation and a new bracing mechanism (derived from the 740 Series) guarantees incredible rigidity. As with all Azur CD players, a high quality toroidal transformer ensures lower noise and less waveform distortion as well as incredibly quiet operation.

Like any Cambridge Audio design, usability and aesthetics are of enormous importance. Both players are a breeze to use – either from the sturdy controls or of course the remote. The CD drawer now offers smoother, premium operation and this along with a striking new reverse black display adds even greater appeal. And for maximum user convenience, CD-text support is now featured. Of course, like all the cleverest technology, the benefits are far easier to experience than they are to explain but within moments of hearing them, you’ll be aware of these players’ rich, smooth and truly accurate musical delivery.

With so much shoehorned inside, it’s astonishing how the new Azur 650C looks so elegant. In addition to a raft of sonic and environmental benefits, the new Azur range has a completely fresh contoured look with razor sharp displays and velvety smooth controls. A substantial brushed aluminium front panel, a seamless wrap-over lid assembly and dual-layer damped feet all adhere to Cambridge Audio’s rock-solid design standards and also help improve performance through superb resonance control.

Azur 650C CD player
D/A Converters:    Dual Wolfson Microelectronics
WM8740 24-Bit/192kHz capable
Frequency Response:    20Hz - 20kHz
THD @ 1Khz 0dBFs:    <0.001%
THD @ 1kHz -10dBFs:    <0.0005%
THD @ 20kHz 0dBFs:    <0.002%
Inter Modulation Distortion (IMD) (19/20kHz) 0dBFs:    <0.0005%
Linearity @ -90dBFs:    +/- 0.5dB
Stopband rejection (>24kHz):    >90dB
Signal to Noise Ratio A-wtd:    >104dB
Total correlated jitter:    <140pS
Crosstalk @ 1kHz:    <-100dB
Crosstalk @ 20kHz:    <-99dB
Output Impedance:    <50 Ohms
Max. Power Consumption:    25W
Standby Power Consumption:    <1W
Dimensions (H x W x D):    85 x 430 x 305mm
(3.4 x 16.9 x 12.2”)
Weight:    4.8kg (10.6lbs)

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Cambridge Audio Azur 650C
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2009 at 12:48 PM »
Cambridge Audio Azur 650C

The 650C takes Cambridge back to the cutting edge at this price level
5 * * * * *
 £  330

For
      Impressive build and finish; organised and informative sound

Against
      Hint of treble brightness

The new player costs £330. That's £80 up on the old one, which is a pretty sizeable chunk of cash. However, that extra money is well spent.

The 650C is far classier than its predecessor. Its combination of a wrap-around lid, thicker front panel and more sophisticated display are the obvious improvements.

Take a look inside and you'll find things thoroughly worked over: better circuit layouts, a new generation of transport servo and higher grade components are the highlights.

Detailed delivery impresses
Like the partnering Azur 650A amp, this player has an open, detailed presentation. There's just a suggestion of excess brilliance at high frequencies, which becomes a problem only if you partner the player with an already aggressive system.

With anything more balanced – the partnering amp and Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 speakers, say, and that treble energy just goes to adding a bit more life into the proceedings.

Listen to Kanye West's Gold Digger and the 650C does a fine job. It delivers plenty of drive and keeps a firm hold of low bass.

It's hard to think of a rival that keeps so organised when pushed. You can add good sound staging and a spacious midrange to the plus points, too.

The 650C is as happy with vocals-based material from the likes of Jill Scott as it is with the large-scale intensity of the Angels & Demons OST. This is a very fine player indeed.

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010 at 05:03 PM »
Buhayin ko lang tong old topic. I've listened to both the 650C and the 550C extensively.

Quite an improvement over the 640C V2 and the 540C V2, I must say. Mas balanced yung tunog, with better extension and imaging din. The familiar glare was largely eliminated, while improving yung level of detail na maganda na sa prior models to begin with. Initial read is also a bit faster, plus CD-Text works well at maganda yung exterior aesthetics heheheh. In my opinion sulit siya sa price. The 650C sits between the old 640C V2 and the 740C in terms of playback quality (not as refined as the 740C, but a definite step up over the 640C V2 in terms of drive, smoothness and listenability). The new 550C is comparable to the 640C V2 in my opinion (640C V2 is better in terms of separation and blackness, but the 550C sounds more natural and musical).

If I remember right, the 550C retails for 20.8k, while the 650C goes for 25.8k.

Tip lang when getting these, pakinggan niyo mabuti with a disc inserted na naka-pause. Tapos angat yung volume ng amp. Listen for any buzzing sound, kasi nakaexperience na ako ng bad unit.

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 07:36 PM »
sir, cant decide between the 650c and 740c (for its DAC feature). Planning to pair it with a Cayin A-50T and planet omnis. How are they when paired with tubes?

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 07:08 AM »
Ok naman yan with tubes. I guess the tubes may take the edge out of these players, baka masmoothen yung "clinical" highs.

Magkaiba ng tunog yung 650C and yung 740C. The 740C is quite neutral, while the 650C is slightly bright. Mas malalim yung stage ng 740C, while yung 650C mas vigorous/exciting yung output.

Dalhin mo yung preamp and poweramp mo sa 5th ave and subukan mo, para makasigurado. :)

Offline brogger

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM »
Thanks for the inputs; Na subukan ko ma audition ung 740C na kinabit sa 640A at 5th ave mkt. I was expecting the same liveliness/brightness ng 640c-V2 na previously na audition ko – preowned. Pero nagulat ako bat ibang-iba sa 640c. I thought it must be the room during my audition, di pala. So tama nga ung narinig ko..”neutral” (if this is the right term to describe it) ang 740c, ung depth ng sound stage di ko napansin, siguro dahil sa speaker placement.

My startup audio set-up and reference;
Laptop (as transport) >>USB>>MP5>>>Planets  (listening area with acoustic treatment)

I’ll give the 740c another try …sana pwede home audition.

Sa review ng Planets na i-pair ito sa 840c at na i-suggest na maganda raw ito i-pair sa SET. Kaso medyo mahal na para sakin ung 840c kaya 740c ang preference ko. Gusto ko sanang marinig ung 740C>>SET>>Planets para may idea ako kung match nga sila.

Thanks

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM »
The 740C has a similar character sa 840C sound, the 840 just has that extra refinement in terms of pinpoint imaging, sense of dimension, and overall smoothness. Pareho silang maganda in my opinion (hahah.... biased).

Siguro nga bagay sila sa valve amps, since they emphasize the leading edge ng notes... baka mag-complement naman sa natural sweetness and body ng tube gear.

Just remember that you'd need to run either an optical digital or a coaxial digital connection to the 740C to get this working as a DAC for your PC. Congrats sa Duevel, mukhang maganda yang system na binubuo mo. :)

Have you tried pairing the A-50T to the matching CD-50T? Tube DACs are available din, di ko lang alam sino local distros heheeh.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM by Stagea »

Offline brogger

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 03:31 PM »

Just remember that you'd need to run either an optical digital or a coaxial digital connection to the 740C to get this working as a DAC for your PC. Congrats sa Duevel, mukhang maganda yang system na binubuo mo. :)

Yup, sadly no USB input, thanks for the heads up. Still trying to get my head around this digital connection thingies and how to play my audio from an external storage device or server. Im trying to go for a minimalist approach, hence CD/DAC>>>int Amp>>>speaker, then I can just feed the CD/DAC with quality audio files from a storage device, via wire or wireless.  ???

Have you tried pairing the A-50T to the matching CD-50T? Tube DACs are available din, di ko lang alam sino local distros heheeh.

Funny you mentioned this  :D…I was just reading about the raves in the other thread regarding this pair. If plan A above failed; CD-50T & A-50T is my plan B. Hope Noel will give me a good deal. *fingers crossed*

Online Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010 at 07:33 PM »
Pwedeng pwede yung plan mo sir. :) I'm doing the same thing, running the spdif output of my PCs dun sa 740C and sa 840C.

You can check with these CDPs din if your PC is outputting proper 24-bit bitstreams. I've experienced PCs kasi that only output at 20-bit sa digital out. Kaya dedicated sound board lagi gamit ko para sigurado.

Yup, maganda din tumunog yung CD-50T. I'm sure well-matched yan sa A-50T mo. :) I might have gone this route kung hindi ako nagdecide to go full SS.