Author Topic: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer  (Read 407602 times)

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer - now in stock!
« Reply #120 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM »
possible replacemant na kaya to for htpc (in terms of playback only)?  Can this play large, demanding 1080p mkvs?  No hiccups, audio/video sync problems?  Really thinking of getting this one.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM »
possible replacemant na kaya to for htpc (in terms of playback only)?  Can this play large, demanding 1080p mkvs?  No hiccups, audio/video sync problems?  Really thinking of getting this one.

i guess so.. haven't encountered stuttering yet on 1080p's.. the 42gb transformers2 plays without any hiccups..

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #122 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:00 PM »
well i am lucky to have one which i bought from eric.
wala ako masabi, it beats the wdtv and egreatm34a hands down. fast recognition of usb sources, fast boot-up. pure quality is the same as any other nmt's. The GUI is so simple yet very intuitive. setup was a no-brainer.
Initially I cannot pump audio to my AV receiver but selecting HDMI audio to (OFF), sound was redirected to the Optical cable and DTS 6.1 came alive in my room! ahahaha. To listen to HDMI audio to your tv just select again HDMI (ON), and no sound comes out of your optical cable, only through HDMI.

over all, it is a great product for me. galing nito, none of the problems i think from other new realtek nmts.

I have an AVR with Optical input only (no HDMI)... thus I'll need Xtreamer to output the audio from the optical connected to my AVR while the video signal is output through HDMI connected to my 32in LCD (tv volume off)...

can this be the case..? hope someone can enlighten me.. TIA!  :)

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #123 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:15 PM »
possible replacemant na kaya to for htpc (in terms of playback only)?  Can this play large, demanding 1080p mkvs?  No hiccups, audio/video sync problems?  Really thinking of getting this one.

I had a problem playing my copy of LOTR-Return of the King(I think this is only 720p). Though I know that its also problematic with HDPro, Xtreamer hangs whenever it tries to play it even in preview mode. The only way to return is to unplug the unit.

With HDPro it plays, but there are video/audio sync problem and has green patches all over the frames.

Note: HDPro uses the supposedly older Realtek chip.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:15 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #124 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:31 PM »
I have read somewhere that the size of the movie file doesnt matter, as long as  it was encoded according to the right bitrate/correct frames, otherwise kahit 8gb file lang yung movie kung 'encoded' at a higher bitrate/frames which is beyond the capability ng hardware, stutters will occur...correct me if i am wrong!

i guess so.. haven't encountered stuttering yet on 1080p's.. the 42gb transformers2 plays without any hiccups..

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:43 PM »
I have read somewhere that the size of the movie file doesnt matter, as long as  it was encoded according to the right bitrate/correct frames, otherwise kahit 8gb file lang yung movie kung 'encoded' at a higher bitrate/frames which is beyond the capability ng hardware, stutters will occur...correct me if i am wrong!

If its high bitrate, its most probable that it will have a bigger file size.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #126 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:52 PM »
If its high bitrate, its most probable that it will have a bigger file size.

ok sir thanks, how about the frame rate? i am not sure kasi sa nabasa ko...

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 01:54 PM »
I have an AVR with Optical input only (no HDMI)... thus I'll need Xtreamer to output the audio from the optical connected to my AVR while the video signal is output through HDMI connected to my 32in LCD (tv volume off)...

can this be the case..? hope someone can enlighten me.. TIA!  :)

Yes, that is the correct procedure.  When you change your HDMI Audio setting to "OFF" ... audio will automatically be channeled through your optical port.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #128 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 03:16 PM »
I had a problem playing my copy of LOTR-Return of the King(I think this is only 720p). Though I know that its also problematic with HDPro, Xtreamer hangs whenever it tries to play it even in preview mode. The only way to return is to unplug the unit.

With HDPro it plays, but there are video/audio sync problem and has green patches all over the frames.

were you playing it from an internal drive or an external attached one? if yes, what brand, and size of hdd?

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 03:18 PM »

Really?  I don't know if I have a different encode of the same title. Will check if I have it and if I can play it.

Offline natosan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 03:21 PM »
may HDMI handshake issues ang Xtreamer like the HDPro? i'm using a Harman Kardon receiver.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
may HDMI handshake issues ang Xtreamer like the HDPro? i'm using a Harman Kardon receiver.

No reported HDMI handshake issues at this time.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:02 PM »
Anyone tried creating playlist?

I tried and failed. Though the files were added, when I try to play it via playlist, it says file does not exist. And the size of file is 0 bytes.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:05 PM by Tempter »

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:04 PM »
were you playing it from an internal drive or an external attached one? if yes, what brand, and size of hdd?

1TB External WD MyHome. It's OK with me if some files are unable to play, what's bugging me is, it hangs when it tries, and does not recover.

HDPro is not having problems recovering from this file, except for some green patches on the frame while playing.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:07 PM by Tempter »

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Recovering from device "hang"
« Reply #134 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 06:07 PM »
Hi! Have you been able to successfully play your LOTR on another media player?

Have you updated your firmware to Ver. 1.0.3.1 ?

If you still have problems despite having done so, there's still hope for your LOTR file.  Ver. 2 firmware update is due for release anytime now (granted that there won't be any delays). Hope that solves the playability problem.

With so many different ways of encoding files, I guess we were bound to bump into files that have issues.  Depending on the files and the specific type of problem they bear, players can fall flat and react in different ways.

In the case of the Xtreamer, it's too bad that your LOTR necessitates  that you reboot the device.  Good news is, a reboot doesn't take much time (though it forces you to get off your couch).

Pls keep me posted if at some point in time, you are able to play the file without issues.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Recovering from device "hang"
« Reply #135 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 06:10 PM »
Hi! Have you been able to successfully play your LOTR on another media player?

Have you updated your firmware to Ver. 1.0.3.1 ?

If you still have problems despite having done so, there's still hope for your LOTR file.  Ver. 2 firmware update is due for release anytime now (granted that there won't be any delays). Hope that solves the playability problem.

With so many different ways of encoding files, I guess we were bound to bump into files that have issues.  Depending on the files and the specific type of problem they bear, players can fall flat and react in different ways.

In the case of the Xtreamer, it's too bad that your LOTR necessitates  that you reboot the device.  Good news is, a reboot doesn't take much time (though it forces you to get off your couch).

Pls keep me posted if at some point in time, you are able to play the file without issues.

No problem sir. I hope ma-address nga ito sa next FW.

Yes, I have updated it to 1.0.3.1 FW.

The file is playing with HDPro, though its also problematic. It has syncing problems and green patches all over. Have not tried other media players yet. Will try whenever I get hold of one, probably an NMT. ;)

Over-all, im happy naman with it. Because it serves my real purpose. Medyo bad trip lang ako dahil naghahang sya in that particular movie. Its just annoying.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 06:16 PM by Tempter »

Offline jake111

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Xtreamer Media Player and Streamer
« Reply #136 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
does the Ver. 2 firmware update includes the torrent DL?

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
BT in firmware Ver 2 - probably not
« Reply #137 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 08:27 PM »
does the Ver. 2 firmware update includes the torrent DL?

I don't believe it does.  Still not sure whether Xtreamer will put in that capability themselves (though the device is certainly capable of doing it). 

Somebody has already ported over NZBGET and made it available for the Xtreamer.  It's for downloading content from Usenet groups. Way, way faster than torrents.  It's the preferred channel for transferring large files.  You can easily search the net to learn more about NZBGET and Usenet groups.  There is a lot of legal, legitimate content on Usenet.

Offline jake111

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: BT in firmware Ver 2 - probably not
« Reply #138 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 08:44 PM »
I don't believe it does.  Still not sure whether Xtreamer will put in that capability themselves (though the device is certainly capable of doing it). 

Somebody has already ported over NZBGET and made it available for the Xtreamer.  It's for downloading content from Usenet groups. Way, way faster than torrents.  It's the preferred channel for transferring large files.  You can easily search the net to learn more about NZBGET and Usenet groups.  There is a lot of legal, legitimate content on Usenet.

ok will try NZBGET.thanks eric!

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 09:36 PM »

Hi Tempter, I was looking through the Xtreamer forums, hoping to assist you with your LOTR issue.  Came across this post from a guy who was streaming LOTR in 1080p from his NAS - and it doesn't seem like he had any problem.  Not sure whether he was playing ROTK though.

You may have a non-conforming encode of the movie.  I'm not the expert on determining that... you will have to ask the community for assistance.  Try to post the MediaInfo so that the encoding parameters can be analyzed and commented on.

From Skyx in Germany, excerpted from the Xtreamer forum:

this thread's headline is : User Reviews, Impressions, Tests in HERE!!
IMHO problem discussions and other posts that are not User Reviews, Impressions, Tests should be limited to a minimum

I got my device last Fri (order date Jun 21st) and ran a first extensive test on Sat, here are my impressions:
I don't use and I don't plan to use an internal HD, for my initial test I only tested wired network connection. I also switched off NAS and UPnP)

1. Look and Feel:
Small (which is good) and shiny, looks like metal --> Very nice
2. Installation ( )
piece of cake :-)
HDMI handshake to my Sanyo Z2000 thru a low cost HDMI switch without problems.
Set the appropiate resolution, enable DHCP, disable HDMI audio, disable NAS and UPnP... works like a charm.
Network immediately detected. Guest logon to my QNap NAS without any additional settings successful. USB Stick detected (why is it a C: drive :-)
3. Video and Audio tests
I tested a wide variety of different files, such as avi, mpg, ts, mkv, wmv, iso, ifo in different resolutions starting from PAL interlaced 576i up to 1080p... what can I say: I haven't had a SINGLE file that failed to play.
Audio is sent to my receiver thru S/PDif digital... absolutely no problems here (DTS, AC3...), audio switch very fast and without any hickups.

GoTo:
I find it amazing how easily the device jumps to a specific position. Remember I'm streaming from my NAS...
I loaded up a 28 GB 1080p ts file (LotR), immediately after it was started I jumped to timecode 02:22:33 (just random)... it took less than 0.5 secs and the video appeared... another 0.5 secs and the DTS stream was aligned.

Fast Fwd and Rev:
I own a PCH 110, since it came out the Popcorn Hour is known for having problems with ffwd or rewinding HD mkvs (720p, 1080i and 1080p). I have many mkvs where I know if I touch ffwd on the PCH, the device will freeze and must be shut off in order to be responsive again...
NO problems to ffwd or rev any file (mkv, avi, wmv, DVD iso, mpg...) on Xtreamer
Subtitles:
I only tested internally muxed subs in mkvs and subs in DVD isos... again no problems !
Video Quality:
a single word: BRILLIANT... significantly better than PCH... and the PCH doesn't make a bad picture.

Network:
the channels work... but the quality is unwatchable on a 265 cm wide screen.
Fan Noise:
I have set the fan speed to medium, I can only hear the fan in quiet conditions from 2 m away. While watching a movie I can't hear it.

now this is all very positive... and for me the Xtreamer does exactly what I need it for... better than any other NMT I have tested so far.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM »
@Bitstream..pwede po bang kabitan thru usb ng optical drive (dvd-rom, bd-rom..etc?) ang Xtreamer?

Thanks..:)

Yes it's possible. There are two videos on YouTube where a guy shows how he
a) connected a SATA Blu-ray drive using a SATA to USB adapter
b) connected a commercial Blu-ray player using what appears to be a USB cable

Search mo lang "Xtreamer". Very easy to find the videos

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM »
Hi!
 1. Can I play music in the background while viewing Photos or make a Slideshow with transitions and music?

Yes, you can create a music playlist in each photo folder.  Click on the hyperlink below to learn more:

http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2741

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM by Bitstream »

Offline switi

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM »
the xtreamer is now on harmony database. i was the one who provided it there the model i placed is xtreamer x1. ;D
yamaha rxv640 PS3 B&W 602 egreat34a wdtv panapv8 and now XTREAMER

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 07:23 AM »
the xtreamer is now on harmony database. i was the one who provided it there the model i placed is xtreamer x1. ;D

Thank you!

Out of curiousity, what did you have to do to get the Xtreamer on the Harmony database?

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #144 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 07:27 AM »
use the logitech software on your pc. you can go to add device. for xstreamer, i believe they will put it on the media pc category (am not sure about this, but they put the popcorn there). so type in the brand name, model and category. then the software should do the set up automatically.

thanks!

Offline francisco22

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 08:34 AM »
sir im intrested with this. Pm me pls for procedure....tks

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM »
You may have a non-conforming encode of the movie.  I'm not the expert on determining that... you will have to ask the community for assistance.  Try to post the MediaInfo so that the encoding parameters can be analyzed and commented on.

Actually, I am not complaining about the XT not playing all of my media files. My only concern is, the player not able to recover from it. Because as I have said in my earlier post, HDPro which also uses a Realtek chip was able to recover from it, in fact it was able to play the file except for some hiccups.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM »
sir im intrested with this. Pm me pls for procedure....tks

PM'd you already.  Thanks!

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Xtreamer Deal of the Day!
« Reply #148 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 02:39 PM »
It's a gloomy, rainy afternoon here in Quezon City... maybe this will perk things up a bit today.

Open-box unit of Xtreamer for SALE!

Sent out for demo only once, for just half a day.....P5,600.00.

Firmware already updated to Ver. 1.0.3.1.  Includes full one year warranty.
In excellent condition, with retail box and complete accessories.

HDMI cable is not included (pls add P350.00 if you need one).

First one to reply to this message with an order confirmation gets it!

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 03:49 PM »
Akin na yan :)
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!