Author Topic: LCD panels: Who makes for who?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline arnoldc

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LCD panels: Who makes for who?
« on: Sep 22, 2009 at 08:09 AM »
I have been sweeping the web for information as the subject stated. I found some and was about to post here when fellow forum member Stagea, posted the following information in the Panasonic 32C10x thread.

I thought this subject deserves a separate thread, and I hope Stagea wouldn't mind me posting this.

Quote from: Stagea
LG Display: TN, IPS, S-IPS, SA-IPS, H-IPS --- Samsung, LGE, Philips, Vizo, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, AmTRAN and Skyworth

Sharp Japan: ASV --- Toshiba, Philips, Sony, Pioneer (LCD) and Sharp

Chi Mei Optoelectronics: TN, S-MVA and LCS MVA --- Samsung, Philips, Funai, LGE, Toshiba and Sony

AU Optronics: TN, P-MVA and A-MVA --- Sony, Samsung, Philips, LGE, Toshiba, Proview, Panasonic

Chunghwa Picture Tubes: TN and MVA variant --- Sony, Samsung and Konka

Samsung SDI: TN, PVA and S-PVA -- JVC, Samsung, Sony, Philips, Sanyo and Panasonic

IPS Alpha Technology: IPS Pro --- Hitachi and Panasonic

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: LCD panels: Who makes for who?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 08:10 AM »
Here's another interesting news - Samsung, LG to buy LCD panels from each other.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 08:27 AM »
No prob sir ArnoldC. Since these are off-the-shelf parts, I don't see much problems with them sourcing from each other. Hehehe.

Even during the CRT days, a lot of the internal parts (especially picture tubes) were also sourced from what would seem like their direct market competitors.

I worked for "V" company before, and they sourced "S" LCD and Plasma panels in the past due to cost (despite their parent company making their own display panels then).

My old "S" TV has a "H" tube after i tore it apart.

My uncle worked for "M" in the 90s, and confirmed that their TVs had "S" tubes then. Only their high end TVs used tubes from their sister-company.

Offline arnoldc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 08:35 AM »
To naman, wag mo na ko i-sir :)

Until my Samsung broke, I don't really care who makes for who. But now, I'm "praning"  ;D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 01:27 PM »
I'd feel bad din if that happens to me. Yung friend ko was an early Bravia adopter, nung bumigay agad sinusumpa nya yung maker. It was barely out of warranty.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2009 at 01:34 PM »
Tsambahan siguro talaga.  If you like peace of mind, get an extended warranty.  But all brands will have their lemons.  Unfortunately, some of those defects come out after the warranty period.  More unfortunate if the defect comes out right after the warranty expiry.