Author Topic: SAKURA AV-200T Tube Amp  (Read 355545 times)

Offline balarila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SAKURA AV-200T Tube Amp
« Reply #750 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 08:51 AM »
it is a misconception that DIY saves you money, simply not true all the time..

How very true!

My other hobby is woodworking.  I make all sorts of little projects (boxes, racks, cabinets) and an ongoing big one:  23-foot sailboat.

Would I have saved money if I just bought stock?  Absolutely.

So why do I do DIY? Just for the fun of it.  Never for economics.

Of course, if the wife asks... :)
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #751 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 08:51 AM »
I personally am drawn towards stock used items. When i come across a modded item I think wow this guy did some mods and still he is unhappy with it, this must sound really bad.

That's great insight, Gino.

Learned something today.

Offline cHiNo2728

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Addict
  • Its All In Your Ears
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #752 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 09:07 AM »
ATJr.,

Well said sir.

Balarila,

Yes, the sides are MDF with laminates. Would'nt mind modifying it aesthetically and put in real wood.
Maybe widen it a little bit. You know what I mean. Let me know. The Deeco price is okay considering you wont have to travel to Raon anymore.
LG SuperUHD SJ8500
Yamaha RXV 673
Raspberry Pi 2
Pana BDT310
Polk Audio Rti A7 & A6
Dual SVS PB100

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #753 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM »
and may i add, because we can...

would had been a waste if we don't... not to mention the passion involved.

the tube technology if lost to the young would really be a sad thing...

when I was invited to do a lecture on a TESDA workshop I found that the participants, mostly fresh high school graduates eager to learn but lack the passion to see it through. it takes a certain mind set and a little kick in the butt to get them going.

DIY (in whatever field) is a viable alternative to doing nothing, or worse, doing drugs...

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #754 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM »
Losing people who know old technology is also my concern. That is why I am relieved to meet craftsmen who are younger than I am. All my doctors, dentists, and service people are younger than I am so I am sure of continued service he he.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: Jul 31, 2013 at 07:07 PM »
Called up Deeco Raon yesterday and asked to send a Sakura AV200-T to Marcos Hiway.  Dropped by today on the way home.

At the store, I was not impressed at the build quality.  The fake wood (laminate) had some minor defect at the corner.  I didn't mind because the woodworker in me knows I'll have to replace that with some finely milled wood.   The volume knob's mark was not aligned with the minimum mark.  I tried to pull it off to reinsert at the proper rotation but could not.  I feared any more force would tear the whole pot off.  If anyone knows how to do this, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

When the store clerk was preparing to hook it up for testing, I saw her dragging a huge pair of speakers.  Told her bookshelf speakers will do.  She said no because the amps are rated at 200W.  I said that's PMPO so it'll probably have about 20W+ per channel.  She dragged smaller but still huge speakers.  We played some horrible rap music.  But I was surprised I could play such volume at only a quarter of the volume dialed up.

A bunch of other guys crowded around awed by a valve amp.  When I bought it, one of the guys asked if I got the last one.  I said there's plenty more in Raon and told him how to go about it.

Now, at home, hooked it up to my Wharfedale 9.1.  Played Tuck & Patti's "I Will".

Man, this is one awesome amp.  Patti's voice seemed a lot more leathery punctuated by Tuck Andres' even more metallic plucks.  Even the skids across the frets was a pleasure to hear.

Played a few more vocals.  Somehow, the voices and orchestra were aggressively velvet.  Supple. Firm.  But whole and round.

Sorry, I am no audiophile.  And I could never convert to words what I feel about music (same way with wines).  And this is the first time I am listening to a valve amp, something I have always been skeptical about.

I'm a convert.

And this amp's a treasure.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2013 at 07:29 PM by balarila »

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #756 on: Jul 31, 2013 at 07:17 PM »
congrats.....i suggest you live with that amp for a while before thinking of tinkering with it.....

Tinkering with the innards is farthest from my mind and heart right now, Tony.  I'm just so happy with it.  Babaw ba?

I will probably make a new wood case for it, though.

Thanks, too, for all your posts.  I learned a lot.

- Ding

Offline david webb

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Pogi Ako!
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 07:35 AM »
Good day sirs! new in this forum and this "expensively rewarding" hobby of ours. I have been a lurker though in this forum for a long time.

Got to hear the sound of a tube amp in a friend's house and I was really impressed! Patay na! gastos na naman! :)

Search search lang sa internet about tube amps so I landed into this Sakura AV 200T thread. It immediately caught my interest kasi nga mura and maganda naman ang feedback. Punta agad ako Raon to get one. Also bought a pair of TSI 100s and decent cables made in the UK from SnS. CD Player eh lumang Philips. Initially satisfied with the sound pero parang may kulang eh. Di ko ma explain! so Basa basa basa ng threads. Meron mga upgrades suggested, etc., Di ako mapakali...

Until I found the contact details of one of the well respected gurus here at PDVD. ang advise niya is huwag na galawin at di rin sigurado kung ma kukuntento ako sa tunog after the upgrades. besides, gagastos ako ng almost the same with my cost of acquisition ng amp. So there I decided na pagtiyagaan na lang muna at mag research research na lang muna.

hanggang sa balak ko na bumili ng Dared and Cayin. Later on found out na made in China so medjo na turn off ako (No offense meant of course to Dared and Cayin owners).

To cut the long story, I decided to get a hybrid set up (tube pre amp with SS amp) that is locally made. Now I am very happy with it!

My Sakura is definitely a keeper. for its price, looks, and sound panalo na!
Now, I will place it in my office. Upgrades are still not an option unless may masira.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #758 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 07:44 AM »
Ha, ha, David.  Looks like I'm following your footsteps.

I now find myself surfing websites like Dared, Cayin, and even Yaqin.

To the gurus here:  How do I remove the tubes from the sockets?  Do I simply grip the lower part (seems strongest) then pull out?  Do I need to wipe my hands clean; i.e. would hand oil compromise the glass?

I'm asking this question because I plan to replace the MDF laminate sides with some nice wood and would prefer to do it without the tubes getting in the way.

I recall when I was in high school we made a superhet receiver and we just recklessly handled tubes then.  Never taught if there's a right/wrong way.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 08:30 AM »

How do I remove the tubes from the sockets?  Do I simply grip the lower part (seems strongest) then pull out?  Do I need to wipe my hands clean; i.e. would hand oil compromise the glass?

Grip it firmly and pull it upwards. Never make any large horizontal movements or you might damage the pins and crack the envelope.

Wipe you tubes and hands when you're done. Oil would not compromise the glass, tubes have seen worse scenarios and still survive/function.

I recall when I was in high school we made a superhet receiver and we just recklessly handled tubes then.  Never taught if there's a right/wrong way.

This must be during the 70's right?

Offline david webb

• Apprentice
  • Pogi Ako!
  • Liked:
« Reply #760 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 08:40 AM »
Ha, ha, David.  Looks like I'm following your footsteps.

I now find myself surfing websites like Dared, Cayin, and even Yaqin.

Sir Balarila, looks like I'm also following your footsteps. found some scrap nara planks and planning to make trimmings for my new amp. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2013 at 08:42 AM by david webb »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #761 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 09:08 AM »
Balarila, if you are dismantling the amp, read up on handling charged capacitors safely. From what undertand they contain lethal charges even if amp is unplugged. They must be discharged correctly for safe handling.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #762 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:30 AM »
Thanks, Gino.

Yes, I recall from an electronics class back in college a professor demo-ed to us how a capacitor can actually discharge.  Good point.  Will read up.

----------------

On another matter, someone PM-ed me asking how much I got the Sakura from Deeco for.

It was P4,295.  Not sure by how much it would be cheaper in other shops in Raon but, since I live in Antipolo, going to Raon would probably cost me more.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #763 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:32 AM »
This must be during the 70's right?

Thanks for the tip, Jojo.  Looks like I had the right idea, too.

Yes, I graduated HS in 1976 so that Superhet must've been sometime 1974-5.  Had my share of electrocution back then.

Bisto na age ko!
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:35 AM by balarila »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #764 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:47 AM »
I saw Sakura amps at Hyperaudio at Calatagan cor Filmore st., Makati City. PM Hyperaudio here for info.

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #765 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 11:09 AM »
Thanks, Gino.

Yes, I recall from an electronics class back in college a professor demo-ed to us how a capacitor can actually discharge.  Good point.  Will read up.

----------------

On another matter, someone PM-ed me asking how much I got the Sakura from Deeco for.

It was P4,295.  Not sure by how much it would be cheaper in other shops in Raon but, since I live in Antipolo, going to Raon would probably cost me more.

Sir if I may, saan kayo dito sa Antipolo am here at upper side near Ynares I could be of help and vice versa in terms of wood works, I like to learn wood working skills.

By the way Raon is just a 15min or less train away from Deeco Marcos Hway, kaya ako pag wala dun diretso na Raon  :)

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #766 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 01:04 PM »
Sir if I may, saan kayo dito sa Antipolo am here at upper side near Ynares I could be of help and vice versa in terms of wood works, I like to learn wood working skills.

By the way Raon is just a 15min or less train away from Deeco Marcos Hway, kaya ako pag wala dun diretso na Raon  :)

I live in Palos Verdes, about 500m uphill from Padi's Point.  You're less than 15min away.  PM me if you want to drop by.  You're most welcome to "play".  Check out my thread My Home Theater Rebuild Project in Setting Up.

Yes, I've done that train ride before.  My constraint nowadays is actually more on time.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2013 at 01:26 PM by balarila »

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #767 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 01:08 PM »
unsolicited advice, if you want to get into tubes, get a straight tube amp, not a half tube, half ss one....go to friend's place with tube amps and then listen, then you ca make up your mind....:D

Thanks, Tony.  Will try that one day.

Frankly, I had always been skeptical about tube amps.  I only got this Sakura because of the cool retro looks.  So  imagine my surprise when it sounded great.  Even if it were not a "full" tube.  Of course, I'm only comparing it with my cheap Nova amp.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #768 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Jojo.  Looks like I had the right idea, too.

Yes, I graduated HS in 1976 so that Superhet must've been sometime 1974-5.  Had my share of electrocution back then.

Bisto na age ko!

I knew it. ;D

We did the solid state version of the superhet during the 80's for our practical arts. Tubes were still preferred for the transmitters back then because the solid state finals almost always gives out the magic smoke.

Damn, that was a long time ago for me too... ;D

Back to the future.

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #769 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 03:30 PM »
I broke in a Sakura for a friend and had it at home for about two weeks. Your impressions are spot on. What we heard are tube harmonics introduced into the chain. Mabilog. Snappy. Each note has surrounding "heat". Aura kung baga. Tonal balance is very good. It has enough headroom for most commercial speakers. What may be perceived as warmth is actually the veiled sound. Forgivable for the price. For the most part I enjoyed the amp and still do when I get to hear one. Congrats.

Offline ye-yo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #770 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 06:00 PM »
masters...question..on an average of about 5 hours a day listening time..how long kaya bago maging busted ang tubes nito?..planning on buying this amp, connect to my laptop via dac...through a wharfedale 10.1 speakers...

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #771 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 06:29 PM »
What are symptoms of busted tubes? Para hindi ako cardiacin pag dating ng araw na yun.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #772 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 07:45 PM »
i am here to give the technical side of things....
note that i shy away from giving comments about how an amp sounds,
as much as possible i leave that to the user,
as listening to music is very much a subjective thing...
what sounds good to you may not necessarily sound good to me,
and vice versa....:D

Yes, very subjective.  In fact, it may even be psychological.  For all you know, I'm enjoying placebo.  Just because of all I read about tube amps, I may have convinced myself that this amp sounds fantastic.

Whatever, been listening to a bunch of R&B, soul, and soft rock the past 2 hours.  Nirvana!

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #773 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 08:12 PM »
John Mayers ang pinagtrippan ko when I had that loaner Sakura.

Offline david webb

• Apprentice
  • Pogi Ako!
  • Liked:
« Reply #774 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 08:53 PM »
Yes, very subjective.  In fact, it may even be psychological.  For all you know, I'm enjoying placebo.  Just because of all I read about tube amps, I may have convinced myself that this amp sounds fantastic.

Whatever, been listening to a bunch of R&B, soul, and soft rock the past 2 hours.  Nirvana!

ika nga eh Music touches the soul! As long as you're happy listening to it.

From a newbie that is used to the sound of mini and micro components from Abensons, ipod docks, and mp3 players, malayo talaga ang tunog.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #775 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 09:44 PM »
Mismo, David.

BTW, one of my neighbors and good friend is John Webb.  Related?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #776 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:30 PM »
I think David Webb = Jason Bourne? ;D

One of my favorites... ;D

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #777 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 03:21 AM »

Ha-ha.  Didn't dawn on me quick enough.

Offline david webb

• Apprentice
  • Pogi Ako!
  • Liked:
« Reply #778 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 11:36 AM »

Tama sir!

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #779 on: Aug 05, 2013 at 08:07 AM »
Planning to move the Sakura amp into the dining room.  I'd like to attach it to a cheap source.  Someone gave me one of those no-name Android tablets with an SD port.  Thinking I can load music onto an SD card and use that tablet as source.

Anyone have any experience doing this?  SQ?

Or, are there any cheap media players I can use to play just audio?