Author Topic: Flooded electronics  (Read 9093 times)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Flooded electronics
« on: Sep 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM »
Considering that a number of us will probably have flooded electronics, was wondering if there was any way to salvage this and what procedures are necessary to do so.

General advice for electronics that get wet is to dry them off before powering them up to avoid shorts.

Of course, flooding also involves getting mud and dust in your electronics.  Would cleaning and drying thoroughly be enough to work for at least some of our flooded electronics?  Is it worth a shot or lost cause na?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Flooded electronics
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 01:41 PM »
Considering that a number of us will probably have flooded electronics, was wondering if there was any way to salvage this and what procedures are necessary to do so.

General advice for electronics that get wet is to dry them off before powering them up to avoid shorts.

Of course, flooding also involves getting mud and dust in your electronics.  Would cleaning and drying thoroughly be enough to work for at least some of our flooded electronics?  Is it worth a shot or lost cause na?

i already got a couple of text from our co-members regarding this. imho, should just dry it first then bring it to the nearest dealer/service center. but i sincerely think its really a lost cause. specially a flat panel submerged in water and mud for hours. the panel itself might have sustained irrepairable damage.  :(

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 01:59 PM »
clean your gears with clean water, dry it completely before powering up.....use of hair dryer is okey...i am sure jojod can give more tips..
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 02:09 PM »
if it was submerged in muddy water, the first thing is to dunk it in clean water. don't let the mud and debris settle in there. then with dishwashing liquid brush off what you can, but rinse thoroughly. this is only good up to some extent as it will depend also on how well you can get access to every part. if my h/k 5550 avr gets submerged, how to disassemble this for cleaning would be my first concern. same goes for flat panels and the like where there would be really hard to reach areas. problem with bringing these gears to a service center, if the repair turns out major the charge would amount to almost a new set already.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 03:04 PM »
same goes for flat panels and the like where there would be really hard to reach areas. problem with bringing these gears to a service center, if the repair turns out major the charge would amount to almost a new set already.

+1, thats why i think its disheartening, by cleaning it yourself, drying and everything, then when plugging it, it still wont turn on, what's next? if going to the shop we will expect a costing of more or less a new unit. sus, sayang nga talaga.  :-[

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 03:45 PM »
washing it up and properly drying it. tapos try it out. pero pag di nag ON agad. unplug it na agad para safe kasi baka may pumutok pa dun or something na baka lumala pa lalo ang problem.

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 04:06 PM »
i sort of forgot to add the importance of drying the items really thoroughly. i assumed it was a given already. if i may add then for items with hard to reach areas or doesn't disassemble easily:

dunk/submerge the item in clean water. do what you can to really get rid of dirt and debris. then when you're sure you have done what you can to get everything out, get access to a compressed air and blow out most of the water and moisture there. if there's no air compressor, a vacuum cleaner that blows in the exhaust direction will do. i say dry it in the sun but since the sun haven't really shone continuously, a hair dryer is another substitute. if you have a dehumidifier, a box with plenty silicants, leave it there for maybe a week. everything can be shortened if you're sure you've gotten out most of the water there.

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 05:01 PM »
I don't know if this was really the cause but a few years ago, I bought a 32" from the pier.  Was raining when I was loading it in the car.  When I got home to try it, nothing.  When I tried it again the next day, it was ok already. 

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 05:51 PM »
my gf's LCD tvs wer submerged last saturday,  1 pana X10 and sammy R81. Tiningnan na sya ng neighbor nila na taga Sony, palitan daw yung power supply, 1.3k sa sammy, 900 sa pana, then from there, tingnan kung buo p LCD, tomorrow whole day syang iblower. Sana maayos pa. Even HTIB nya sira din, pc, ref, pio dvd400, avr as in lahat,
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:26 PM »
yung around 3-year old ref ko na panasonic is one item i decided to leave to the flood waters. wala na talaga kasing mapagpatungan pa. i just left it standing but sa sobrang taas na ng tubig eh natumba na siya. i hurriedly tried to keep it upright though by leaning it on a wall and a table. nung bumaba na ang tubig... i just left it to stand since saturday after cleaning it then kanina i tried to power it na. success!!!!!   ;D

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
mukhang magagawa yung 2 lcd tvs ng gf ko, nauna kasi sa pila yung neighbor nya, sony LCD, nagawa pa, palit lang ng power supply. Bukas naman yung sa gf ko.

Pag nagawa, irfer ko sa inyo.

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 04:33 PM »
What we did was to take the LCD apart piece by agonizing piece and then clean (used Joy) and then dry everything out, especially the control board (which can get tricky since it's inside behind an emi case). Wag niyo lang ibilad sa araw and use compressed air instead of a hand dryer whenever possible.

Good luck!

Offline efrenatstpaul

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
Yung sa amin washing machine, ref, component, gas range lahat lubog na lubog...success...gumana naman lahat! saksak agad wala nang blower blower pa...

Offline ianroy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 01:20 AM »
Any tips as to what to do with a submerged LCD TV?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 07:20 AM »
Any tips as to what to do with a submerged LCD TV?

read the two posts below.

for @anchit's suggestion, let's wait for his feedback on the power supply change. as for @gearhead's post. if its really full of mud. then that is the only way to go. or else if you have a service center do it for you, it will cost you. unless it is like @anchit's contact. a friend or non service center technician that is knowledgeable of this things. goodluck.  :)

mukhang magagawa yung 2 lcd tvs ng gf ko, nauna kasi sa pila yung neighbor nya, sony LCD, nagawa pa, palit lang ng power supply. Bukas naman yung sa gf ko.

Pag nagawa, irfer ko sa inyo.

if it was submerged in muddy water, the first thing is to dunk it in clean water. don't let the mud and debris settle in there. then with dishwashing liquid brush off what you can, but rinse thoroughly. this is only good up to some extent as it will depend also on how well you can get access to every part. if my h/k 5550 avr gets submerged, how to disassemble this for cleaning would be my first concern. same goes for flat panels and the like where there would be really hard to reach areas. problem with bringing these gears to a service center, if the repair turns out major the charge would amount to almost a new set already.

Offline shainoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Speakers and amplifier flooded
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2009 at 12:24 PM »
Mga Sir, My Wharfedale Diamond 8 Speakers and Yamaha 5.1 amplifier nalubog sa flood (Water and Mud). DIY need advisefor repair?

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
Re: Speakers and amplifier flooded
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2009 at 01:09 PM »
my suggestion is not to plug it try to make it dry first and then ask a handy electrician to check it for you... the service center for yamah is in Banawe its posted somewhere here for the wharfedale not so sure about it though

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 12:55 AM »
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173948/free-check-up-labor-for-sharp-appliance-owners-affected-by-ondoy

Free check-up, labor for Sharp appliance owners affected by Ondoy
10/06/2009 | 07:22 PM

Owners of Sharp appliances -- especially victims of storm Ondoy -- can have their equipment checked for free, the Philippine unit of Japan-based Sharp Corp. said in a statement.

Besides offering a free labor charge, the company will also give discounts on spare parts prices under its program called the Oplan Sagip Appliance, the company said.

The program will be held for two consecutive Saturdays on October 10 and 17 for all affected areas, the company said.

For more details please call Sharp’s customer care hotline number at 842-7777 and tollfree number at 1-800-1-888-4952

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 08:54 PM »
may i kindly ask why the need to replace the power board immediately? is it mandatory or just anything else, can be allowed to dry first and tested?

Offline tebenets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 07:06 AM »
ako din. submerged lahat ng appliances ko. pero ok na daw yung mga small items. yung lcd ko inaantay ko pa balita. dvd component ko ok na , yung remote na lang ang nililinis. di pa chinecheck yung ref, wash mach, and gas range ko.

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 08:35 AM »
Hehehe my old computer just took a dive...

Had to wait like 4 days before plugging it again. The water reached the first expansion slot. I had to remove it and clean it. Same with the bottom part of the computer as it was filled with mud. Hehehe, its still working. Same with the voltage regulator. I even washed the regulator as it was filled with mud too.

I saw one of my sub floating din. I actually lifted it and put it on top of a plastic container where my kid's toys are. Went upstairs and after a few minutes, I saw my sub floating in water. hahaha. Had to immediately carry it and placed it on our stairs. Waited around 5 days before tinkering with it. I removed the plate amp and check for any water presence inside. There was none. Checked for the sub itself, it was dry. Still, had to place it under the sun for a few hours. Now, its playing ok. hehehe

;)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 08:45 AM »
Never plug in any flooded electronics. Make sure it's already clean before you let it dry, so pressure washing the equipment should remove all the debris and mud out of the electronics.

Have it dried with compressed air, if you don't have an air compressor go to your nearest vulcanizing shop or gas station. Do not put it out under the sun, you'll just promote oxidation.

As Tony already posted, a hair dryer would also help to make sure all moisture has been removed.

Let it stand for several days up to a week before trying it.

But if still in doubt, you can always have it checked at your friendly neighborhood electronics shop.

Offline kitsune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 04:37 PM »
My 32 inch Samsung LCD TV was also submerged in the flood.  I expect na madami talagang putik sa loob but I am hoping that since the TV was upright, the water could have drained out.  I'll attempt to fix it soon since its so hard to pull things out of the house.  I'll use joy and toothbrush...hopefully I can get a hair dryer.  I just want to know...

How many here managed to get their LCD TVs to work again after the flood?

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 05:20 PM »
My 32 inch Samsung LCD TV was also submerged in the flood.  I expect na madami talagang putik sa loob but I am hoping that since the TV was upright, the water could have drained out.  I'll attempt to fix it soon since its so hard to pull things out of the house.  I'll use joy and toothbrush...hopefully I can get a hair dryer.  I just want to know...

How many here managed to get their LCD TVs to work again after the flood?

malamang palitan power supply nyan. mura lang naman, 1.k then have it cleaned ten let it dry, it should be ok. check my post sa taas.

Offline kitsune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2009 at 08:11 PM »
Sir anchit yung power supply ng Samsung did you get it sa service center or from sa ibang technician? 

Also after cleaning the board should I use the hair dryer on it na kaagad?  Wala pa kasing power sa lugar namin and di ako sure kung madadala ko sa temporary residence namin dahil baka di na kasya sa car.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2009 at 09:37 PM »
A public service announcement from Samsung:

As a way to help the victims of Typhoon Ondoy, Samsung Electronics Philippines is offering the ff :

Free use of Samsung washing machines, (soap and fabric softener provided) (maximum of 7 kilos per person).

Free cleaning,check- up and repair of Samsung products (free labor for both in and out warranty & 50% discount on parts for in warranty-maximum of 3 units per customer).

Free call (maximum of two minutes talk time)

Free charging of phones (Samsung and Non- Samsung)

This will be from October 6-19, 2009 at the parking area of the Ever Gotesco Mall Ortigas from 9 am to 6 pm.

Spread the word...... forward to all friends .....

Offline busabos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM »
My receiver got submerged in water and mud, I brought it to The Hometheater since I got it there and they were very nice to bring it to the service center.  After a week it's already for pick-ip.  It only cost me around 1k.  :)

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM »
yung pagamit ng hair dryer, make sure na hindi sobrang init yung hangin na lalabas or keep a distance mga 6in para hindi matusta sa init.

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 01:20 PM »
Panasonic 32X10 ..... submerged sa bahang me putik ...... brought it to AVX (formerly image) sa Harrison Plaza..... after one week ok na ang TV but costed me Php 3.8K .....

di ko natanung breakdown ...... I was just so happy to get the unit back and so far is working flawlessly

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2009 at 02:06 PM »
My receiver got submerged in water and mud, I brought it to The Hometheater since I got it there and they were very nice to bring it to the service center.  After a week it's already for pick-ip.  It only cost me around 1k.  :)

Panasonic 32X10 ..... submerged sa bahang me putik ...... brought it to AVX (formerly image) sa Harrison Plaza..... after one week ok na ang TV but costed me Php 3.8K .....

well, as they say.... leave it to the experts.   ;D

yung pagamit ng hair dryer, make sure na hindi sobrang init yung hangin na lalabas or keep a distance mga 6in para hindi matusta sa init.

yeah, don't let the air be focused in one place, and medyo medium setting lang if it can be varied. baka it might cause more problems kung "matusta" ang mga components.