Author Topic: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player  (Read 113946 times)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player
« Reply #120 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
based on what ive read so far, even the hard to play 1080p mkvs with high frame rate have no problems playing with the live, this i have yet to confirm. Most of the problems are network related(per avsforum) so if you plan to stream all your 1080 files through network either wired or not, expect some sort of headache lalo na at hindi ka tech savvy.

I read that too, and in brief testing, the more potentially problematic files might be iffy streamed over the network via wifi (e.g. Indian Jones stuttered but it played smoothly over USB) unless your network is fully tweaked (I'm sure mine isn't). No problem with 720p files I downloaded.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2009 at 09:16 PM by gaol »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #121 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:35 PM »
oo nga madalang.. just sold 5 units pa lang.. a bit pricey kasi.. but it plays well the 1080p's that cannot be played in wdtv1..

baka mas maganda din ang marketing and exposure nun ibang players Bro...

So far so good at least with some files in my collection, for example:

Spiderman 1 (10GB):
- WDTV 1: unplayable, pixellated and jerked a lot
- HD Pro: no more pixellation but it still jerked a bit, much less but noticeable
- WDTV Live: no pixellation, smooth and no jerkiness  ;D

Indiana Jones 4 (14-15GB):
- WDTV 1: lots of pixellation, jerkiness
- HD Pro: smooth but still had brief pixellation at just before 8 min mark
- WDTV 2: the pixellation at just before the 8 min mark was still there

Meet the Robinsons (6.5GB)
- WDTV 1: didn't get to test
- HD Pro: lots of green pixellation
- WDTV 2: no pixellation problem

Chicken Little (4.37GB)
- WDTV 1: unplayable, pixellated and jerked a lot
- HD Pro: no more pixellation but it still jerked a bit, much less but noticeable
- WDTV Live: no pixellation, smooth and no jerkiness  ;D

Tested the Godfather 20+GB files briefly, no apparent problems. Also tested Quantum of Solace 28GB mts file briefly, no problems also.

So in terms of playability I would rank the WDTV Live as definitely number 1, HD Pro a good number 2 (although it also had problems with 2 files that ran well with both WD TVs), and the WDTV 1 a poor number 3.

Surprisingly, that's all I ever wanted. As long as it plays all my files.  ;D

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:37 PM »

baka mas maganda din ang marketing and exposure nun ibang players Bro...

I agree, on both counts.  ;D

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 09:16 PM »
I read that too, and in brief testing, the more potentially problematic files might be iffy streamed over the network via wifi (e.g. Indian Jones stuttered but it played smoothly over USB) unless your network is fully tweaked (I'm sure mine isn't). No problem with 720p files I downloaded.

To add: I'm using an old Linksys Wifi-G router. "Western Digital recommends using an "N" class router when streaming wirelessly to the WD TV Live HD Media Player. Playback of video may be unstable when using a "G" class router."

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 09:21 PM »
To add: I'm using an old Linksys Wifi-G router. "Western Digital recommends using an "N" class router when streaming wirelessly to the WD TV Live HD Media Player. Playback of video may be unstable when using a "G" class router."

Duh, I have a G class... But it should work for transferring files from other pc to the attached hd right?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 10:04 PM »

Duh, I have a G class... But it should work for transferring files from other pc to the attached hd right?

Yes, there shouldn't be any problems transferring files or similar file management functions over wifi-G, it would just be slower.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 11:24 PM »
Yes, there shouldn't be any problems transferring files or similar file management functions over wifi-G, it would just be slower.

That should work for me, a patient man.  ;D

What do you use for wifi?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 06:21 AM »

That should work for me, a patient man.  ;D

What do you use for wifi?

I have the Linksys WRT54G router, not sure which revision, the one before Linksys came out with their "flying-saucer" shaped routers.  :)

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #128 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 07:05 AM »
Looks like there are only a few who bought this since being available last week...

I'll be getting one soon para dumami naman...  ;D

Bili na Jo dun ako sa kabila para me comparison tayo.  ;)

Si Koyang napansin yun mga dvd nun nagpunta dito yayain mo na rin mag NMT.  ;D

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #129 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:32 AM »

Bili na jo, I sold my wdtv 1 when i upgraded to m34a which i also sold after 2 months used(partly because of the grainy pic, and the snail-pace boot up.) I have my other nmts, and i can say they serve me well, never had any issue of playability problems...but i am going to acquire the live due to its reputation of playing even the high frame rate files and hopefully it can somehow live up to its predecessor's superb pq output.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #130 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:55 AM »

Tested the Godfather 20+GB files briefly, no apparent problems. Also tested Quantum of Solace 28GB mts file briefly, no problems also.

Please try to watch the entire Godfather.  Ive been informed by another member that even the HDX cant handle this.   Thus so far, only the Tvix can allegedly play this trilogy smoothly from start to finish.

Regarding the m2ts file, the WDTV Live passes through HD audio?  What's the audiostream of that Quantum of Solace?

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:03 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:05 AM »
Please try to watch the entire Godfather.

Regarding the m2ts file, the WDTV Live passes through HD audio?  What's the audiostream of that Quantum of Solace?

Will do, once I get the chance to have the TV all to myself (i.e. no 5yo son asking to watch a movie with no violence :)) Which of the three would be most problematic?

As for HD Audio and Quantum, I won't be able to test that since my yamaha receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs and my connection is via optical. How do I verify what audiostreams Quantum has?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:15 AM »
Will do, once I get the chance to have the TV all to myself (i.e. no 5yo son asking to watch a movie with no violence :)) Which of the three would be most problematic?

As for HD Audio and Quantum, I won't be able to test that since my yamaha receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs and my connection is via optical. How do I verify what audiostreams Quantum has?

All the 3x27GB trilogy is a tremendous challenge to any NMT, HDD media players, including underpowered and wrongly configured PCs.  My Egreat 31B cant play it smooth enough regardless of FW version - the jerkiness and/or synch issues can happen at any point in the movie - you can try the scene when Don Vito was castigating his eldest son for interrupting him while talking to the mob group who wanted to do drugs - wala pang fast action scene yon.

You mentioned testing the 28GB Quantum Of Solace mts (m2ts?) briefly.   What was the sound? DTS or DD or stereo?
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:16 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:57 AM »
I have the Linksys WRT54G router, not sure which revision, the one before Linksys came out with their "flying-saucer" shaped routers.  :)

You have a "tank" router there, very reliable.  ;)

Bili na Jo dun ako sa kabila para me comparison tayo.  ;)

Si Koyang napansin yun mga dvd nun nagpunta dito yayain mo na rin mag NMT.  ;D

Comparison? Kailangan pa ba nun Sir? Diba parang audio lang to, kung saan masaya... ;D ;D ;D

Naku, iba ang trip ni Koyang ngayon Sir...  ;D

Bili na jo, I sold my wdtv 1 when i upgraded to m34a which i also sold after 2 months used(partly because of the grainy pic, and the snail-pace boot up.) I have my other nmts, and i can say they serve me well, never had any issue of playability problems...but i am going to acquire the live due to its reputation of playing even the high frame rate files and hopefully it can somehow live up to its predecessor's superb pq output.

Thanks, I'll go offline in a moment to get one.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM »
All the 3x27GB trilogy is a tremendous challenge to any NMT, HDD media players, including underpowered and wrongly configured PCs.  My Egreat 31B cant play it smooth enough regardless of FW version - the jerkiness and/or synch issues can happen at any point in the movie - you can try the scene when Don Vito was castigating his eldest son for interrupting him while talking to the mob group who wanted to do drugs - wala pang fast action scene yon.

You mentioned testing the 28GB Quantum Of Solace mts (m2ts?) briefly.   What was the sound? DTS or DD or stereo?

It's DTS for Quantum.

Quick check of that Godfather scene, no problem.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 10:53 AM »
It's DTS for Quantum.

Quick check of that Godfather scene, no problem.

Thanks Gaol.  Some members would be very thrilled if this device can pass thru HD audio.

Ok, try to watch any one of the Godfather movies.  - yours is is the 27GB Eureka right?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 01:23 PM »
Thanks Gaol.  Some members would be very thrilled if this device can pass thru HD audio.

Ok, try to watch any one of the Godfather movies.  - yours is is the 27GB Eureka right?

Will do, yes, it's the Eureka file.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 02:17 PM »
Happy, sunny day today...

;D

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 02:30 PM »

;D

Haha complete with a new WD MyBook drive.  :) Did you get a good package price for both?

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 03:12 PM »

;D

Congrats to you master! ;D
Sa wakas, tapos narin ang inom mo ng caladryl :D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 06:04 PM »
Haha complete with a new WD MyBook drive.  :) Did you get a good package price for both?

Yup, this is my first media player Sir so I need a hd to go with it. Price is competitive I guess, but it was the convenience on how I was able to get the unit that sold me.  ;D

Congrats to you master! ;D
Sa wakas, tapos narin ang inom mo ng caladryl :D ;D

Salamat Brader! Nahiya nga ako abot yun pera kasi inaamag na...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:49 PM »
 got mine today....itchiness was too much for me

tested some of my movies and got amazed with the picture quality....way much better than the previous model. also tops most of the other media players as well in terms of PQ...so smooth, cool and relaxing to the eyes. currently exploring the other features.

this is i think the 5th or 6th nmt i tried and this one is definitely for keeps as well as my xtreamer which has functions exclusively different from the other. one thing i'm missing though is the internal hard drive capability which the xtreamer has. also much more expensive with lesser features.

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:00 PM by XmeTaL »

Offline migsev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:09 PM »
Does anyone know if eHome has a WD bundle for this? Sir Richie hasn't replied to my email. Nahihiya namana ko mangulit. Hehe :D

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM »

tested some of my movies and got amazed with the picture quality....way much better than the previous model. also tops most of the other media players as well in terms of PQ...so smooth, cool and relaxing to the eyes. currently exploring the other features.

this is i think the 5th or 6th nmt i tried and this one is definitely for keeps as well as my xtreamer which has functions exclusively different from the other. one thing i'm missing though is the internal hard drive capability which the xtreamer has. also much more expensive with lesser features.

addict mode din bro ah.. hehe
yep, you're right, wdtv2 and xtreamer are for keeps..  ;D ;D ;D

will try another player tonight, the astone AP300.. :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 06:49 AM »

Yup, for pure movie viewing pleasure, this is currently the one, and to me worth the budget-level price of up to P7K.  :)

If you have special or other needs,  consider (partnering it with) another player:

: for a host of web services including ip cams etc. and you want to free up your pc/mac, it looks like xtreamer has it covered
: for connectivity, via component video and/or coaxial audio, and huge (i.e., terabyte) internal storage, the HD Pro has that covered...
: for the most affordable but equally capable realtek-based player, I think that would be the cinematube and if I'm not mistaken the R1.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 08:00 AM by gaol »

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #145 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 08:07 AM »
Does anyone know if eHome has a WD bundle for this? Sir Richie hasn't replied to my email. Nahihiya namana ko mangulit. Hehe :D

Ok lang bro na tanungin mo uli si richie, he will gladly attend to you immediately. Baka busy lang siya and no time to open his email...but he is very accomodating and will also give you some insights re the things you want to know :) :)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 08:09 AM »
How is the aspect ratio handled?  Is it locked to full screen (as allegedly was the case with the 1st gen WDTV) - which crops and degrades the IQ of "wider" movies, or is there an option to choose what AR you want, especially the native one?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 08:39 AM »
How is the aspect ratio handled?  Is it locked to full screen (as allegedly was the case with the 1st gen WDTV) - which crops and degrades the IQ of "wider" movies, or is there an option to choose what AR you want, especially the native one?

I don't see any cropped areas on the sides if I zoom out to check.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 09:26 AM »
I don't see any cropped areas on the sides if I zoom out to check.

Ok I'll re-phrase my question - is it possible to view the native aspect ratio of a movie?  For example, 1:2.35 AR or wider movies - how does the WDTV Live display that?  Full screen only or very wide view with huge black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

A 16:9 TV would be filled when the AR is 1:1.78 or 1:1.85.  Hence if the original AR is 1:2.35 or wider, the movie would have to be magnified to fill the 16:9 screen, hence the cropping on the sides and the degradation of the image quality as a whole.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 09:28 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 09:47 AM »
Ok I'll re-phrase my question - is it possible to view the native aspect ratio of a movie?  For example, 1:2.35 AR or wider movies - how does the WDTV Live display that?  Full screen only or very wide view with huge black bars at the top and bottom of the screen?

A 16:9 TV would be filled when the AR is 1:1.78 or 1:1.85.  Hence if the original AR is 1:2.35 or wider, the movie would have to be magnified to fill the 16:9 screen, hence the cropping on the sides and the degradation of the image quality as a whole.

Thanks

Ah ok, in that case, the movies are displayed in their native aspect ratio with black bars on top and below and not forced to full screen, i.e. fill the screen, on my 1080p Panny plasma.

Actually even for WDTV 1, I don't remember my wide(r)screen movies being forced to full screen...

My understanding of the supposed problem is that WDTV 1 displays the widescreen movies with black bars on top and below, but crops the sides a bit so that that the image is zoomed in a bit and only 95% of the actual image is displayed. If this is the issue, my answer is the same: I don't see this problem.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM by gaol »