Author Topic: ano kaya 26" fullHD lcd or 32" lcd?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline mannix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ano kaya 26" fullHD lcd or 32" lcd?
« on: Dec 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM »
which is better to buy, samsung T260HD LCD monitor with built in speakers full HD for around Php19,000 or samsung 32b350 or panasonic 32c10 worth around Php22,000? will be used for viewing downloaded bluray rip films and wii.
salamat po! :D

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: ano kaya 26" fullHD lcd or 32" lcd?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM »
Bigger is better for movie viewing. Dont worry about the 32" not being a Full HD. You wont notice it that much. Also those 32" you've mentioned have better contrast ratio that computer LCD monitors.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM »
which is better to buy, samsung T260HD LCD monitor with built in speakers full HD for around Php19,000 or samsung 32b350 or panasonic 32c10 worth around Php22,000? will be used for viewing downloaded bluray rip films and wii.

If you are going to sit up close, say 1.5 -3 feet away typical for computer use, I'd recommend you get the 26" full HD Samsung.  You'll enjoy the finer dot pitch on it.  And if you're downloading 1080p rips at 10GB and above, then you'll get to savor the fine resolution up close without seeing those grids  That's what many advertising agencies and video editing companies use for close editing.    
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009 at 02:38 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline fakuryu

• Collector
  • I'm with CoCo
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM »
Get a 32 incher. a full HD for 26 is just too small.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
If you are going to sit up close, say 1.5 -3 feet away typical for computer use, I'd recommend you get the 26" full HD Samsung.  You'll enjoy the finer dot pitch on it.  And if you're downloading 1080p rips at 10GB and above, then you'll get to savor the fine resolution up close without seeing those grids  That's what many advertising agencies and video editing companies use for close editing.    

+1. i'd also recommend 26" 1080p at close range viewing. at 4 ft or farther the 32" 720p would be a better buy.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 04:10 PM »

For me, bigger is always better.  Get the 32''. 720p or 1080p on those screen sizes would not be much of a difference.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 05:39 PM »
Of course it does, it all depends on viewing distance.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM »
Of course it does, it all depends on viewing distance.

Currently Im using 2 monitors for my PC.

-HP 19'' with resolution of 1600 x 1200
  -Dell 19 '' with resolution of 1280 x 1024

In terms of Picture detail, both are the same. If you dont know their specs, its hard to judge which one has a bigger resolution.  But in terms of PQ i like the DELL better (lower res), maybe Its because it has a higher contrast ratio and its newer.

But of course if youll use it for PC purposes its another story. Bigger resolution is always better in PC.  For opening files, Internet browsing etc......

edit : btw my viewing distance is 2-3 feet. Because its my office PC.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM by bachwitz »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 01:10 PM »
A larger resolution on a PC monitor allows more multiple windowing opportunity for multitasking purposes without crowding it out faster than with smaller resolution monitors.  I have a 22" Philips at 1920 x 1080p and an older Samsung at 1024 x 980 and the resolution difference clearly shows that the higher one has smaller icons and texts.  The dot pitch is also better on the larger monitor.

These two graphs relating viewing distance to screen size simply prove my point. 

Resolution matters depending on your viewing distance.  If you have a 32"TV viewed at 8ft, you won't be able to distinguish between 720 and 1080 (above the trace curve aqua and green) as any viewing distance above the traces will not make them distinguishable.  But if you're viewing closer at 4ft, you can distinguish the two.  720p (under the trace) will look softer while 1080p will look more detailed.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 03:31 PM »

But of course if youll use it for PC purposes its another story. Bigger resolution is always better in PC.  For opening files, Internet browsing etc......

edit : btw my viewing distance is 2-3 feet. Because its my office PC.

As I have said in my previous post, If its for PC purposes its another story. But the TS will be using the display for watching movies.

And yes I know that chart, I believe I have also posted it in one of our discussion. 

A review maybe is a good reference but its another thing to see it in actual.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2009 at 11:17 PM »
But the TS will be using the display for watching movies.

So?  Does watching movies exempt you from the chart? 

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 03:12 PM »
A larger resolution on a PC monitor allows more multiple windowing opportunity for multitasking purposes without crowding it out faster than with smaller resolution monitors.  I have a 22" Philips at 1920 x 1080p and an older Samsung at 1024 x 980 and the resolution difference clearly shows that the higher one has smaller icons and texts.  The dot pitch is also better on the larger monitor.

Dont take my reply out of context. My reply was to answer this post.

But to answer your question...... I didnt say I was exempted. But using your LCD monitor for PC purposes has visually greater benefits than using it for just watching movies. Which lead me to the same stand that theres is almost to no difference in using 1080p or 720p in monitors with size 42'' or lower (for movies).
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2009 at 03:15 PM by bachwitz »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 03:42 PM »
Like I said, it depends on viewing distance.  The displays dots become visible on a 720P/42" than on a 1080p/42" at, say 4ft.  For the simple reason that the lower the resolution is on a larger monitor, the lousier the dot pitch becomes.  At 6ft and above, that's the only time your statement becomes accurate.  But then, at those distances, full HD loses any benefit on a 42" display.  
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2009 at 03:44 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 06:52 PM »
Like I said, it depends on viewing distance.  The displays dots become visible on a 720P/42" than on a 1080p/42" at, say 4ft.  For the simple reason that the lower the resolution is on a larger monitor, the lousier the dot pitch becomes.  At 6ft and above, that's the only time your statement becomes accurate.  But then, at those distances, full HD loses any benefit on a 42" display.  

I just hope your saying this base from your experience and not from just the chart you showed us.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 07:07 PM »

I just hope your saying this base from your experience and not from just the chart you showed us.

The chart only confirmed what I've long known. I actually should  thank you for showing that chart in another thread.

With or without the chart, the fact remains that the lower the resolution on a larger display, the more you see the dots below a certain viewing distance. I've been saying that every since. 

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 08:08 PM »
The chart only confirmed what I've long known. I actually should  thank you for showing that chart in another thread.

With or without the chart, the fact remains that the lower the resolution on a larger display, the more you see the dots below a certain viewing distance. I've been saying that every since. 

Im just reposting what I've said above....

A review/chart maybe is a good reference but its another thing to see it in actual.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2009 at 08:44 PM »

Im just reposting what I've said above....

A review/chart maybe is a good reference but its another thing to see it in actual.

Well ofcourse, it's obvious when you're up close within the effective viewing distance and you can plainly see those grids and dots.  That's why I never could warm up to 720p 42inchers.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009 at 09:40 AM »
Well ofcourse, it's obvious when you're up close within the effective viewing distance and you can plainly see those grids and dots.  That's why I never could warm up to 720p 42inchers.

Well, as your handle suggest. Your an audio and video phile. Maybe there are details that you can see that we regular consumers cant. Coz, frankly speaking I cant.

But if the price difference between the two is minimal. Then get the 1080p, it is still good to display a tv among friends with high spec.  ;D

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2009 at 09:46 AM by bachwitz »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM »
I was in Listening in Style yesterday, met a stranger there and referred him to this site for more info about good HDTVs.

Anyway, I also gave him pointers on how to detect the grid lines of the 720p plasma compared to the fine pitch (looks like gamo-gamo) of the 1080p one - likewise the effects (some kind of edge enhancement) of those grid lines on the overall image. He was comparing between the 42C10 and the 42S10.

Ok lang naman daw sa kanya yung grid lines of the 720p C10 because movies ang main application.    I told him na OK lang talaga as long as he recognizes the limits of applications (specifically with regard to PC application), and he sits far enough to a distance where the grid lines are no longer visible.