Author Topic: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!  (Read 204922 times)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
Re: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!
« Reply #150 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 08:21 AM »
Would you have still bought this tv if you had known these issues beforehand?

Offline lgfan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 09:36 AM »
Good question!  Honestly, I don't know, since it's my first LCD TV and the budget is tight precisely because it's my first -- I don't wanna splurge on my very first ever unit.

When I've gotten much experience with LCD TV's and the technology gets more mature and more reliable, that's the time I'll be spending a lot.

In other words, "mahirap ang buhay" (cost of living is high).  Hahahaha.

8)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 at 04:05 PM by lgfan »

Offline lgfan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 09:50 AM »
thanks lawin and ppoooh, i'll call him on monday. it would be a good idea to post any updates here so our actions can be coordinated somewhat. i'm more inclined to think this is a common issue on all of their units so hopefully we can find others (like vx2 and lgfan) and get them to report to Mr. Canoy as well.

but basically, you connect the hdmi input to a source (i used an ht554 dvd player), turn both the tv and the source on. then change the picture mode to either natural or sports and then turn off the source. the tv will display a "no input" message at the upper right-hand corner of the screen which fades out after a few seconds. at this point, turn the tv off and then back on without turning on the source.
I have just tried this on both AV2 (Wii) and HDMI3 (Xtreamer) and no, the TV is not "hanging," it just continues to flash the No Signal "screen saver".

8)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 at 04:04 PM by lgfan »

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 02:27 PM »
I couldn't reproduce the problems above.  Maybe I'm missing something here?

F/W version is 3.15, manufacture date is October.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline Ppoooh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 04:08 PM »

The current issues encountered is just an annoyance. It doesn't impair any of your viewing experience on this LCD TV specially on HD sources. Altho I would still like to have these issues resolved by LG (most likely thru Firmware update).

At the price point that I bought this, and of the many features available on this model, I believe that this has the most complete features among the high end 32" LCD TVs of other brands at this time.

I have bought this at php25k with 1920x1080 reso, 120Hz TruMotion (Off/Low/High), 2.4ms fast panel, 80k:1 contrast ratio, IPS hard panel, matte screen, 1080p/24 support, slim profile (as compared to other 32" models), divx playback on usb, various/detailed picture quality adjustments (including WCG), 2-way/4 speaker system (w/ tweeters), Clear Voice II (w/c I really like), smooth red color back panel (as compared to other dull black back panel), beautiful/colorful GUI (as compared to other brands), 3HDMI inputs, nice mirror finish base, Energy Saving modes (including screen off capable), and others. who else wouldn't want to buy this unit? The Demo Mode is also nice to be accesible for the end-user (for showing-off).

What it lacks include PIP (which I don't need at this size), LAN connectivity (which I can live w/o), and built-in HD player (w/c is better handled by an external HD player).

If you know of any, pls. let me know of another brand/model that can compete with this.

Do note that I was contemplating on a Panasonic 32S10 LCD TV which is selling at php35k before I saw this. Although I feel the said TV enclosure is a bit outdated. Php10k savings is the deal breaker for me. As I was able to buy an LG HTIB at php10k (@50% off) which I really need.

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #155 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 06:03 PM »

I have bought this at php25k

wow, so cheap. where have you bought your unit ppooh?

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Dec 20, 2009 at 06:38 PM »
wow, so cheap. where have you bought your unit ppooh?

Pls. refer to page 2 of this thread. I have bought this on a Black Friday Sale (Nov 27) at Robinsons Appliance Center. Sad to say that this is just a one-day in-a-year event. Actually, the first time that they have done this. Better luck next year. Or unless they are already on a phase out sale sometime next year, maybe.....

Offline icarusf3ll

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 06:59 AM »
The way this is described, I don't see it as a glitch. The TV automatically goes into Standby Mode since it is not receiving a signal. It is not switched completely off. The Power On/Off button takes it out of Standby Mode. The solution seems to be to change inputs before the TV goes into Standby. If you allow more time before it does so, then you can change from AV1 to AV2 or whatever. Change the Sleep Timer settings to 10 min instead of the default "0", so that there is enough time to switch sources.
yes, now that you mention it, it does seem like the tv has gone to standby mode, but the problem is i had just turned it on:] and like what ppoooh said, what's odd is that it doesn't happen in other picture modes. lgfan wasn't able to reproduce this but then he has a different firmware (3.0.9), so it may be for 3.15 only.

Is your Intelligent Sensor mode on? Note that according to the Manual, Intelligent Sensor changes contrast, brightness, sharpness, color, and tint automatically. This may be what is doing the resetting.
no, i have it off. this happened while i was on expert1/2 mode and has been confirmed by 2 others (lgfan and vx2).

i probably would've waited for them to fix it first but again it's a minor annoyance. i had been lusting over this unit since i first saw it 4-5 months ago so it was hard to pass up the bargain.

I couldn't reproduce the problems above.  Maybe I'm missing something here?

F/W version is 3.15, manufacture date is October.
hmm, can you try the more detailed instructions from ppoooh's 12/18 post? my manufacture date is august 2009 so i'm not sure if that's a factor as well (but then that would mean this is a hardware issue).

after reporting to lg, am i right to assume these 2 possible outcomes:
1. lg is unable to duplicate it and assumes it as a hardware issue -> replacement of unit.
2. lg is able to duplicate it and identifies it as a firmware issue -> update of firmware.

and ppoooh's right, even though it's nothing major we should still insist that they resolve it. that way, we can recommend it with no reservations:]

Offline lgfan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM »
i probably would've waited for them to fix it first but again it's a minor annoyance. i had been lusting over this unit since i first saw it 4-5 months ago so it was hard to pass up the bargain.
Same here, I've also been lusting at Scarlet TV's ever since I first saw them on display at the malls.  Even when I was eyeing another (non-Scarlet, 32LF20FR), my eyes would still wander over at the Scarlets on display.  The store salesmen were amused when I told my wife that we could just stare at the Scarlet TV for hours and still feel a sense of relaxation and satisfaction (and saving on electricity :D).

:D

8)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 at 04:03 PM by lgfan »

Offline Liquidvamp

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM »
I have never experienced any problems with my lh70 so far...

I even tested the expert1 and 2 problem that you guys are mentioning but I think everything seems fine.
I'm happy with it.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM »
By the way, my units is:
Firmware version: 3.15
Manufacture Date: August 2009

Seems like the October 2009 unit didn't have the said issues. Can somebody else confirm theirs?
Even the lower FW version didn't have the said issue. Hmmmm....

If this is hardware, LG Phils should immediately replace these units. Need to check at the appliance store whether they have other units with later manufacture dates.

Offline Liquidvamp

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 02:09 PM »
My unit was purchased just 4 days ago....

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 02:33 PM »
My unit was purchased just 4 days ago....

Hi Sir,

Please advise your firmware version and manufacturing date, TIA!

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 03:18 PM »
By the way, my units is:
Firmware version: 3.15
Manufacture Date: August 2009

Seems like the October 2009 unit didn't have the said issues. Can somebody else confirm theirs?
Even the lower FW version didn't have the said issue. Hmmmm....

If this is hardware, LG Phils should immediately replace these units. Need to check at the appliance store whether they have other units with later manufacture dates.

Mine was bought at the start of October. As I said, it did exhibit the problem, however, 2 months later, it suddenly stopped flickering and was just back to normal.

I still have that annoying Expert1,2 change bug though.
(42 version here)

Offline icarusf3ll

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 03:35 PM »
mr. canoy had the day-off so i'll call him up again tomorrow. i would definitely "ask nicely" for a replacement unit if other owners with more recently manufactured units are not having any problems.

to ppoooh, since you and i have the same fw and manufacture date, may i ask if you encountered the expert mode sharpness bug as well? because if not, then that would make my unit the buggiest of the lot:]

to lawin, can you post your fw and manufacture date as well?

thanks for everyone's input!

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 04:22 PM »
to lawin, can you post your fw and manufacture date as well?

My FW version is 3.5, I'll check the back tonight for the manufacturing date. If the unit bought 4 days ago has version FW 3.15 but does not exhibit said bug, then in all probability a hardware problem? - I HOPE NOT!

Offline boddah

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #166 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 05:14 PM »
mine has mfg date of september 2009. bought it sumtym last week. wala naman ako napapansin na glitch o anu man. i did notice though, after setting it to the typhoon setting, then you change the brightness, bigla sya dumidilim. i just change it to a different setting and go back to expert1 and ok naman na. no big deal. i love it :D

Offline bunnygod

• Trade Count: (+155)
  • DVD Guru
  • lay down thy raincoat and groove!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #167 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 05:23 PM »
Had my 1st LCD with LG 32LH70 scarlet! Bought it mga 3 weeks ago. So far ok ung experience ko.

Problem ko lang is ung HDMI player na kasama sa package. I didnt know na ung nasa back nung player is R3 lang. Kaya hindi ma-play ung mga R1 DVDs ko :(

Wala na bang ibang way talaga na ma-play ang R1 DVDs kaya?
Kung wala na, ibebenta ko na lang ung LOTR trilogy, 28 days later, x-files fight the future, etc na R1 discs ko! :)
from start to finish, i was proud to fall...

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
My HT554TM by default is on Region 3. If you have DVDs with other Region Code like Region 1, it is better to set the Region Code to "All Region" instead. The ff is the procedure:

1. Power On your HTIB
2. Push Eject button to open the tray
3. Press "0" on your HTIB remote 4 times (I think) until the Region Code setting will show up on your TV screen.
4. It will display something like this: (I'm sorry if this is not the exact message, am just trying to recall from memory)
       new Region Code = ____
       current Region Code = 3
5. Press another "0" on your remote (0 = All Region setting) to set the new Region Code
6. Press "Enter" key on the remote (the center of the directional keys)
7. Power off your HTIB (just to be sure)
8. Power On again if you want to test your Region 1 DVDs. It should be working now.

Don't know but this might work with other new LG HTIB models.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 08:12 PM »
Just came back from the appliance store today. The 32LH70YR units on display are with manufacture dates April 2009 and June 2009. Wasn't able to test on the June 2009 unit as it was on the store front.

As for the 2 units of April 2009, I wasn't able to check the FW versions as I have forgotten the procedure. I have tried simulating our issue #1 on these units. It doesn't seem to occur on these units with April 2009 manufacture dates as well. Seems like our issue is confirmed to be a production batch problem after all. Might be the reason why Arnel Enero's manufacture date October 2009 (even with FW 3.15) does not exhibit the said issue.

So I have to ask LG Phils to test their production batches with manufacture date August 2009 with FW 3.15 instead.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2009 at 08:16 PM by Ppoooh »

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 08:35 PM »
to ppoooh, since you and i have the same fw and manufacture date, may i ask if you encountered the expert mode sharpness bug as well? because if not, then that would make my unit the buggiest of the lot:]

Tested my unit just now. The Expert mode (tested on Expert 1) sharpness bug that you have described earlier is the same as mine. I have tested this on HDMI2 input in my case.

Have others with a different manufacture date/firmware version encounter this as well? TIA.

Offline bunnygod

• Trade Count: (+155)
  • DVD Guru
  • lay down thy raincoat and groove!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #171 on: Dec 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM »
My HT554TM by default is on Region 3. If you have DVDs with other Region Code like Region 1, it is better to set the Region Code to "All Region" instead. The ff is the procedure:

1. Power On your HTIB
3. Press "0" on your HTIB remote 4 times (I think) until the Region Code setting will show up on your TV screen.
4. It will display something like this: (I'm sorry if this is not the exact message, am just trying to recall from memory)
       new Region Code = ____
       current Region Code = 3
5. Press another "0" on your remote (0 = All Region setting) to set the new Region Code
8. Power On again if you want to test your Region 1 DVDs. It should be working now.

Thanks, man! It worked!
from start to finish, i was proud to fall...

Offline iammaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM »
FW 3.15
Aug 2009 manufactured date.

Yup there is a bug on expert 1. Brightness settings changed. H and V sharpness as well

Guys include me in your discussions and what your actions will be.

Thanks

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 02:00 AM »
I still can't imagine how this can be a hardware problem.  The settings and all the video signal processing are controlled by the firmware, right? 

Hinala ko tuloy meron lang akong maling ginagawa sa procedures kaya hindi ma-reproduce.  Pero inulit ko na, ganun pa rin, gumagana.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 07:20 AM »
FW 3.15
Aug 2009 manufactured date.

Yup there is a bug on expert 1. Brightness settings changed. H and V sharpness as well

Guys include me in your discussions and what your actions will be.

Thanks

Hi ianmaki,

Pls. confirm that you also have issue#1 (blanking of the screen on inputs set to Picture Modes Natural & Sports) as posted on this thread at page #5. Just follow the instruction as I have posted there.

If you do encounter the said issue as well, pls. make sure to report this to LG Phils - Mr. Joel Canoy as what I have posted on page #5. We need to collect at least 5 customers with the same issues.

Thanks for your cooperation on this undertaking.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 07:31 AM »
I still can't imagine how this can be a hardware problem.  The settings and all the video signal processing are controlled by the firmware, right?  

Hinala ko tuloy meron lang akong maling ginagawa sa procedures kaya hindi ma-reproduce.  Pero inulit ko na, ganun pa rin, gumagana.

Since yours is manufacture date October 2009 altho with the same Firmware version 3.15 (just like ours), this makes me conclude that it might be a production batch problem related to hardware instead. Might be the reason why you didn't encounter our 2 issues.

From the symptoms encountered, my earlier anaylsis would point this to a firmware problem. But then since firmware version 3.15 of your unit (at different manufacture date) didn't encounter the said issues, this makes me think of hardware problem instead.

This is why your findings is very important for us to pinpoint the cause of these issues. Many thanks for your involvement in this investigation. We do really appreciate your effort on this.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2009 at 07:32 AM by Ppoooh »

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 07:39 AM »
mine has mfg date of september 2009. bought it sumtym last week. wala naman ako napapansin na glitch o anu man. i did notice though, after setting it to the typhoon setting, then you change the brightness, bigla sya dumidilim. i just change it to a different setting and go back to expert1 and ok naman na. no big deal. i love it :D

Hi boddah,

I would really like to know whether manufacture date September 2009 is also affected with the said 2 issues. By the way, do you have the Firmware Version of your unit? The procedure had been posted on page #5 of this thread. Pls. advise.

On the "typhoon" setting, do you meant this as a joke? (hehehe) As there is no such Picture Mode setting on our units.

Offline maidenmasher69

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 08:58 AM »

1. Power On your HTIB
       new Region Code = ____
       current Region Code = 3

I am also using the same model that you have. Ngayon ko lang nalaman yang alternate way na pang unlock to make it region free.

Mine kasi, I used the old code from my LG player. Nag work naman yung code sa HT ko.

Offline Heartbreak Kid

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM »
hello all. with some issues you have been encountering with this LG model, do you think LF20 is a better alternative? or LF20 has also some shares of this kind of issues.

thanks

Offline Liquidvamp

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM »
I will post my manufacturing date later... and FW version...
by the way
How do I check my FW version?