Author Topic: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!  (Read 205071 times)

Offline jcads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!
« Reply #480 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM »
Just got a call from Mr. Joel Canoy this morning. LG already had a new firmware that is suppose to correct the previous flickering issue. Although the schedule for the firmware upgrade today was postponed to early next week. As I have requested them to bring a small capacity UPS (I believe 300VA to 500VA will do) when doing firmware upgrade so as not to have the possibility of bricking my TV. You do understand that we still have power shortages/power fluctuations at this time. Let me know if any of you guys have their TV's firmware upgraded by LG.

So are they doing this upgrading service for free or do we have to pay for something? Sir Phoooh Thank you, because you're the who keep on pushing this issue and keep on touching with LG with our concerns...
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2010 at 11:35 AM by jcads »

Offline Ppoooh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM »
So are they doing this upgrading service for free or do we have to pay for something? Sir Phoooh Thank you, because you're the who keep on pushing this issue and keep on touching with LG with our concerns...

Of course this is and should be free. Altho I didn't get any confirmation from Joel. I am definitely not going to pay them anything for correcting this flickering issue.

Offline mjddl163

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 01:00 PM »
how do i avail this? i would like to have my firmware upgraded as well

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 04:35 PM »
how do i avail this? i would like to have my firmware upgraded as well

Our firmware is version 3.15 and is affected with the flickering issue. I don't know what is the new version that will be provided for the upgrade. It seemed that some new units manufactured on Jan 2010 and onwards are using firmware version 3.25.

Better to take note what firmware version your unit have. Back read the pages of this thread to determine your firmware version.

If you are affected, you can call LG Customer Hotline that came with the documents of your unit.

Offline dmag10

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: Mar 27, 2010 at 07:25 PM »
ok na napalitan na ng buo yung panel mismo about 4 days ago na......

Offline jcads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Mar 28, 2010 at 04:23 PM »
ok na napalitan na ng buo yung panel mismo about 4 days ago na......

Did they as you to pay for something? (Service, parts and the like). Damn! Because lately I'm noticing some minimal imbalance in the backlight distribution of my unit (noticed on plain color display) I'm not sure about it, or maybe I'm just getting too paranoid about my unit...

Offline boddah

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #486 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 01:58 AM »
averaging around 10 hrs of usage a day (PC monitor din kasi). so far so good. *crosses fingers* :D

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 02:03 PM »
Of course this is and should be free. Altho I didn't get any confirmation from Joel. I am definitely not going to pay them anything for correcting this flickering issue.

Update - LG Service Personnel went to our place yesterday and checked my unit. He reset the settings by "shorting" the AC Power Plug - I mentioned to him that problem will recur if you change the picture settings to natural, sport mode... it appears that there is a miscoordination between their Field Service and Customer Support as I have a previous arrangement with their Customer Service to have my units FW upgraded.

Anyhow, the same tech returned today and upgraded it from 3.15 to 3.26 - I'll check the unit and see if there are other "improvements" when I get home tonight.

Any feedback from other users who'se FW have been upgraded?

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 03:07 PM »
An LG Technician came to our house at noon today. Firmware was upgraded from 3.15 to 3.26.  Tried again the flickering issue, fixed finally.

Do note that they didn't bring with them a UPS. I reminded him to do so. Luckily there was no power fluctuation nor brownout during the upgrade. In case of a bricked LCD TV, LG will need to replace a circuit board. I don't want this to happen to any of us.

I believe there are those with manufacturing dates Jan and Feb 2010 with firmware 3.25. I believe we still haven't gotten a concrete response whether these have flickering issues as well. So I cannot confirm whether these owners will need to have their firmware upgraded.

Offline mjddl163

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 03:12 PM »
An LG Technician came to our house at noon today. Firmware was upgraded from 3.15 to 3.26.  Tried again the flickering issue, fixed finally.

Do note that they didn't bring with them a UPS. I reminded him to do so. Luckily there was no power fluctuation nor brownout during the upgrade. In case of a bricked LCD TV, LG will need to replace a circuit board. I don't want this to happen to any of us.

I believe there are those with manufacturing dates Jan and Feb 2010 with firmware 3.25. I believe we still haven't gotten a concrete response whether these have flickering issues as well. So I cannot confirm whether these owners will need to have their firmware upgraded.

Good for you, I'm hoping to get in contact with LG after this holy week for a firmware update

Although I haven't experience the flickering issue myself or at least try simulating it, the issue I had is the regarding the Expert1/2 which was also discussed in this thread. Did the firmware update solve this issue?

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: Mar 29, 2010 at 06:08 PM »
@Ppoooh

Nice i will also call LG for my unit to upgraded to 3.26 FW. Free ba yung service ng FW upgrade?
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2010 at 06:32 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline who102

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 08:43 AM »
hello 32lh70 owners, would you still recommend this lcd even you have experienced problem(s) with it? It seems binabalik ulit ito sa mga appliance stores. Last night, meron sa SM San lazaro for P29900 cash/straight. Tempted to buy this for my PC/PS3... nakalagay sa likod Manufactured(?) date: March 2010... I dont know the firmware version though...
My coworker warned me of LG brand lcd tv, sa experience nya they conked-out or malfunctions after the warranty but that is for his old LG lcds not for this unit though...

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 03:13 PM »
hello 32lh70 owners, would you still recommend this lcd even you have experienced problem(s) with it? It seems binabalik ulit ito sa mga appliance stores. Last night, meron sa SM San lazaro for P29900 cash/straight. Tempted to buy this for my PC/PS3... nakalagay sa likod Manufactured(?) date: March 2010... I dont know the firmware version though...
My coworker warned me of LG brand lcd tv, sa experience nya they conked-out or malfunctions after the warranty but that is for his old LG lcds not for this unit though...

If I am not mistaken, the 32LH70YR is a premium model. Unlike the other entry level and mid-level models like 32LH20, 32LF20, 42LH50, etc. The original srp price of this unit is php49,990.00. It was on sale down to its current price. I suppose the materials and components used in this model is way much better than the entry and mid-level models. I hope that this is so.

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 03:32 PM »
Hi Ppooh,

Have you tried the Expert1,2 settings if it was fixed by the firmware? Or did you have the problem in the first place?

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 03:55 PM »
Have you tried the Expert1,2 settings if it was fixed by the firmware? Or did you have the problem in the first place?

I have tried the Expert 1 setting and the H & V Sharpness. It seems that there is no abnormalities when I set each to 100 and changed the Picture mode to another and back to Expert 1 setting again. Moved the H & V slider from 100 down to 50 and back up to 100. Seemed like there was no sudden abrupt changes in picture sharpness. Couldn't really confirm this as I am not really familiar with this issue.

If you are on version 3.15, better have your unit firmware upgraded as well. So that you could thoroughly test the H & V Sharpness issue that you were referring to.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2010 at 03:57 PM by Ppoooh »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 08:27 PM »
I have tried the Expert 1 setting and the H & V Sharpness. It seems that there is no abnormalities when I set each to 100 and changed the Picture mode to another and back to Expert 1 setting again. Moved the H & V slider from 100 down to 50 and back up to 100. Seemed like there was no sudden abrupt changes in picture sharpness. Couldn't really confirm this as I am not really familiar with this issue.

If you are on version 3.15, better have your unit firmware upgraded as well. So that you could thoroughly test the H & V Sharpness issue that you were referring to.

@Ppoooh

Can you check the fast seen with true motion low and high if there are abnormalities. I seeing some abnormalities with my current firmware 3.15. I notice that fast scene is so fast when i on true motion low or high i hope this will be fix by the FW upgrade. I will call LG tom for appointment after holy week so that my unit FW will be upgraded.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 09:34 PM »
Can you check the fast seen with true motion low and high if there are abnormalities. I seeing some abnormalities with my current firmware 3.15. I notice that fast scene is so fast when i on true motion low or high i hope this will be fix by the FW upgrade.

Trumotion LOW and HIGH is dependent on the source material resolution (480p, 720p or 1080p), fps (50fps or 60fps) and video bitrates (for mkvs). There are some that works and some that don't. You have to test it on the source material whether setting to LOW or OFF would be best. I usually use LOW setting if I need Trumotion. But if I do find some abnormalities, I would change the setting to OFF. These are all on my previous firmware version 3.15. I don't  make use of the HIGH setting.

I don't know whether there will be improvements with the new version 3.26. I am not expecting improvements on this anyway.

If you can check different websites. Interpolation of scenes for motion is never perfect whichever technology each manufacturer uses.

I only like Trumotion at LOW if I want to see people on scenes walk smoothly. Not really good for fast motions, in which case I prefer to turn it OFF instead. Hope this helps.

Haven't seen what 240Hz Trumotion could do.

Offline natzki

• Apprentice
  • I'm a VIDEOGAMER
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Mar 30, 2010 at 11:35 PM »
saw at SM cubao this afternoon, new batch of this awesome unit, manu date is March 2010 indicated at the back, price is at 29,990 free wall bracket / cash or straight payment / 50% off din on HT if bundled.  :)

Offline tyts

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: Mar 31, 2010 at 09:39 AM »
Just got my LH70YR from Remal last night...28,500 with free wall bracket...

Did some minor testing on the unit (really basic tinkering) as I am not very good with the techy stuff...

Just noticed that while watching the DVD of New Moon, picture quality appears to be camcorder-like...I don't know how to explain it but it feels like the movie was shot using a camcorder...

Changed the AV setting from Vivid to Cinema and it got darker but less camcorder-like feeling...

Checked other TV channels and there's still a slight camcordery effect to it...

Is it just me who gets this feeling?  This is my first LCD and I'm not sure if LCDs are really supposed to be like that.

Offline yesyes

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: Mar 31, 2010 at 12:44 PM »
Just got my LH70YR from Remal last night...28,500 with free wall bracket...

Did some minor testing on the unit (really basic tinkering) as I am not very good with the techy stuff...

Just noticed that while watching the DVD of New Moon, picture quality appears to be camcorder-like...I don't know how to explain it but it feels like the movie was shot using a camcorder...

Changed the AV setting from Vivid to Cinema and it got darker but less camcorder-like feeling...

Checked other TV channels and there's still a slight camcordery effect to it...

Is it just me who gets this feeling?  This is my first LCD and I'm not sure if LCDs are really supposed to be like that.

Sir it is bcoz a DVDRIP has low resolution and an LCD has a high rosolution(main cause of pixelation yan) that is why it feels like it was shot in a camcorder and our cable channels is still not broadcasting tru HD execpt for some channels of SKY HD and cignal HD. If you still want to watch DVDRIP just buy a wd tv live or xtreamer bcoz they can upscale and will make DVDRIp better looking but not as much as watching a 720p or 1080p bluray rip. But the better choice would be the 720p since you have a 32" LCD and there are no significant difference in watching1080p over 720p in an 32" LCD. Still you nid to buy a media player for playing MKV files. Just a suggestion.

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: Mar 31, 2010 at 01:04 PM »
Nah. He just has 120hz TruMotion on  ;D

Just turn it off via menu @tyts.

Offline natzki

• Apprentice
  • I'm a VIDEOGAMER
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: Apr 01, 2010 at 01:03 AM »
^ agree, tru motion is just on.. this is what I like in this unit.  ;D

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: Apr 01, 2010 at 09:39 PM »
Our firmware is version 3.15 and is affected with the flickering issue. I don't know what is the new version that will be provided for the upgrade. It seemed that some new units manufactured on Jan 2010 and onwards are using firmware version 3.25.

Better to take note what firmware version your unit have. Back read the pages of this thread to determine your firmware version.

If you are affected, you can call LG Customer Hotline that came with the documents of your unit.

matanong lang bro ano phone number ng lg customer hotline? do they service provincial lg owner? tnx :)

Offline tyts

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: Apr 01, 2010 at 10:41 PM »
thanks @yesyes and @vx2 for the inputs...turned off trumotion and so far ok...

another question, when i change channels, normally there is a black screen in between.  on this black screen, i see light horizontal bars going up or down...is this normal or is it supposed to be totally black?  this horizontal bar moving is also sightly seen when the channel picture is being shown already...

(to better understand what i am saying, when you watch a movie and in the scene there is a computer, you can see horizontal movement on the computer...i don't know what this "phenomenon" is called...)

i don't notice this when watching dvd movies...is this because of the cable connection? i am a sky subscriber...

sorry if i'm being paranoid...i'm just being OC within the 7-day warranty (replacement) period...:)

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #504 on: Apr 02, 2010 at 07:44 AM »
hmnn.. parang gusto ko din ito ah.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: Apr 02, 2010 at 07:59 AM »
matanong lang bro ano phone number ng lg customer hotline? do they service provincial lg owner? tnx :)

http://www.lg.com/ph/support/contact/support-here-to-help.jsp?countryCd=ph

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Apr 02, 2010 at 08:11 AM »
(to better understand what i am saying, when you watch a movie and in the scene there is a computer, you can see horizontal movement on the computer...i don't know what this "phenomenon" is called...)

This is normal. Reminiscent of the old movies wherein the scanning frequency is multiples of the 60Hz AC line for the old movie cameras used to shoot it with. This is more common for old movie cameras used here in the Phils (same 60Hz I suppose). Therefore for new movies/new cameras, they usually increase the scanning frequency (to solve this problem) so as not to produce a horizontal line effects when watching a computer or TV "CRT monitors" in the movies.

I believe you can reproduce this phenomenon when you use an old video camera. I have encountered this when I did use my Sony Video8 camcorder. I suppose this is what you are referring to.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2010 at 08:15 AM by Ppoooh »

Offline tyts

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Apr 03, 2010 at 09:02 AM »
Thanks @Ppoooh...

I compared with my parents' LCD (Sony Bravia) and it doesn't have this horizontal line effect in black screen when in cable TV mode... (we're connected to the same cable provider)

I also observed in LH70YR there is a jerky movement (left/right) of the screen when watching cable TV...quite annoying...you can easily spot this when you focus on the channel logo (eg. HBO) and you would notice it moving left and right...

I guess it's time to consult an LG technician...  :(

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: Apr 03, 2010 at 10:00 AM »
Thanks @Ppoooh...

I compared with my parents' LCD (Sony Bravia) and it doesn't have this horizontal line effect in black screen when in cable TV mode... (we're connected to the same cable provider)

I also observed in LH70YR there is a jerky movement (left/right) of the screen when watching cable TV...quite annoying...you can easily spot this when you focus on the channel logo (eg. HBO) and you would notice it moving left and right...

I guess it's time to consult an LG technician...  :(

Hmmm.. For me i haven't experience this issue. Did you experience this issue even watching local TV shows?

Pinaschedule ko na yung scarlet ko for FW upgrade 2nd week of april pag ala ako pasok.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010 at 10:34 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked: