Author Topic: Mede8er MED500x  (Read 197407 times)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Mede8er MED500x
« Reply #630 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 05:41 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you won't see menu in full BD. MED500X only has BD Lite function which means no Blu-ray menus.

AFAIK, only Sigma based players can show full BD menu.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #631 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 06:13 PM »
Well the Mede8er has FILE MODE option for pure BD rips (instead of FOLDER PLAY), hence one can browse through the contents of the BDMV/STREAMS folder...functional but not as cool as how the A200 does it.

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #632 on: Feb 16, 2011 at 08:29 PM »
may lag sa True-HD, nag lit up nga sa receiver ko lag naman.. :P
no problem encountered sa DTS-HD Master ganda. :)

Offline mumbaki

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #633 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 08:01 AM »
I have a problem in installing the V4 firmware in my MED500X.  Here's what I did:

1. I downloaded http://www.mede8er.org/beta/Firmware_Final/MED500X/MED500X_V4_INC_HD_AUDIO_25Jan2011.zip

2. I unzipped it and copied the install.img file to the root directory of the USB.  I did not any more copy the Version_Info text document in the root directory of the USB.

3. I started installing as instructed in the guidelines from the mede8er forum.  The installing process seems to be ok.  The LED on the front fascia of the Mede8er flashed red-blue.  My TV displayed a progress bar which indicated that installation was in progress.  And then a message prompted that the installation is already complete.

The problem came during the rebooting.  After the installation was complete, the TV displayed the logo of the Mede8er (the one that is shown in the TV when you turn on the Mede8er) so I waited for more than 2 minutes, thinking that this is the rebooting process which will take for about 90 seconds.  However, it seems that it's not rebooting anymore, just like when a computer hangs.  So I disconnected the power jack at the rear of the mede8er and connected it again and switched on the power.  The logo of the Mede8er was displayed in the TV and that was it. It's not functioning anymore.  It seems like there's a probelm in the bootloader so I tried  downloading http://www.mede8er.org/public_beta/0017L_bootloader_patch.zip. However, when I unzipped the folder, there's only one file, the install.img, and there is no install.dat file.  I did not anymore install  the 0017L_bootloader to the mede8er since there's no install.dat file.

I did not anymore try the other remedies which involves formatting the USB with the utility at http://www.chip.de/downloads/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool_23418669.html.  I can not understand it and I don't know how to reformat.

Any suggestions/ comments.  I just hope my Med500X is not permanently broken.

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011 at 08:03 AM by mumbaki »

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #634 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 08:54 AM »
Patching the bootloader is dangerous because if it fails on this step, then you can't recover using the emergency flash procedure.

What you can do is to use an older firmware and flash your MED500x to that version. You don't need to format the USB. You can download the older firmware and copy the contents of the compressed file (i.e. install.img) to the USB drive you used earlier.

To force flash, disconnect the adapter or power down the AC adapter. Insert the USB drive you used earlier and disconnect any other hard drive connected to the mainboard. While powered down, press the power switch and reconnect the AC adapter jack while still continuously pressing the power switch. Release after a few seconds.. The same firmware flashing sequence should happen. The MED should reboot on its own and return to the older firmware version.

If it fails on the emergency flash procedure, the bootloader is probably screwed. Patching the bootloader may be a way to fix it. After patching, you may have to flash the older firmware once again.

The mere fact you can see the logo means the MED500x not yet totally bricked.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011 at 09:09 AM by motion55 »

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #635 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 09:16 AM »
Thanks bro.

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #636 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM »

To force flash, disconnect the adapter or power down the AC adapter. Insert the USB drive you used earlier and disconnect any other hard drive connected to the mainboard. While powered down, press the power switch and reconnect the AC adapter jack while still continuously pressing the power switch. Release after a few seconds.. The same firmware flashing sequence should happen. The MED should reboot on its own and return to the older firmware version.

When you say disconnecting the "other hard drive connected to the mainboard" are you referring to external hard drives lang or pati yung internal hard drive kelangan din tanggalin?

Thanks. 

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #637 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM »
When you say disconnecting the "other hard drive connected to the mainboard" are you referring to external hard drives lang or pati yung internal hard drive kelangan din tanggalin?

Thanks. 

I am referring to the internal drive and any other drive other than the USB flash drive with the install.img file. I would recommend this as a precaution for two reasons.

1. You don't want to power ON/OFF a non-functioning player with the hard drive. The process might damage it. You might be successful in fixing the flash but ending up with a dead drive.

2. It will greatly simplify the flashing because the installer only needs to look at one drive, just the USB drive with the replacement firmware.

You don't have to remove the hard disk from its mount. Just unplug the power and SATA connectors to the drive.

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #638 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM »
I decided to bring my mede8er to the merchant where I bought it.  I don't want to do any fixing anymore becuase I might just make things worse.  Sabi naman nung merchant ibabalik nila sa supplier para ayusin.  If ever na hindi maayos papalitan na lang daw ng bago.  Covered pa naman daw ng warranty.  Sana nga covered ng warranty yung ganong case.  Any way, I saw from previous posts that yung MED500X sa ehome is about P8,000.00, may kasama na bang internal HDD yon?

Thanks.

Offline CocoBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Be Happy..............
  • Liked:
« Reply #639 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 07:13 PM »
I decided to bring my mede8er to the merchant where I bought it.  I don't want to do any fixing anymore becuase I might just make things worse.  Sabi naman nung merchant ibabalik nila sa supplier para ayusin.  If ever na hindi maayos papalitan na lang daw ng bago.  Covered pa naman daw ng warranty.  Sana nga covered ng warranty yung ganong case.  Any way, I saw from previous posts that yung MED500X sa ehome is about P8,000.00, may kasama na bang internal HDD yon?

Thanks.

The 8k excludes the HDD.  Got my unit from them back in December also.
ALA EH!!

Offline gmazter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #640 on: Feb 17, 2011 at 09:21 PM »
guys ask ko lang kaya na ba mag play ng 3d movies tong mede8er?kasi may firmware update sila, have anyone tried?

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #641 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 07:08 AM »

Thanks.

motion55 is correct. your unit is still ok. just need to revert back to V3.0.4, update to V4 Beta 5 then update again to V4. This is the safest and simplest way to update to V4 right now. anyway, nothing to worry about. just a few days that you'll miss your unit :)

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #642 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 07:32 AM »
motion55 is correct. your unit is still ok. just need to revert back to V3.0.4, update to V4 Beta 5 then update again to V4. This is the safest and simplest way to update to V4 right now. anyway, nothing to worry about. just a few days that you'll miss your unit :)

Yeah.  I'm already missing it. Can't pass a day without watching hd movies.  Weekend pa naman. That's why I'm planning to buy today a MED500X (without internal HDD) and may be sell it for P7k or 7,500, depending on how long my broken unit will be returned to me.  May bibili kaya?
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011 at 07:36 AM by mumbaki »

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #643 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 07:47 AM »
may lag sa True-HD, nag lit up nga sa receiver ko lag naman.. :P
no problem encountered sa DTS-HD Master ganda. :)

Pero may option bang gawing regular dolby na lang instead of dolby true hd para maiwasan yung lag?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #644 on: Feb 18, 2011 at 08:02 AM »
Pero may option bang gawing regular dolby na lang instead of dolby true hd para maiwasan yung lag?

That depends on the source.  Kung meron interleaved na DD soundstream, then you can switch to that. Kaso in some cases, Dolby TrueHD lang ang audiostream (in English) available -unlike DTS-HD na laging may kasamang DTS Core.

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #645 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 03:17 PM »
I already got back my broken MED500X.  It's already fixed and upgraded to V4.    My receiver still displays the regular DTS and Dolby, hindi pa din HD audio. I use HDMI cable for audio and video output. My receiver is Denon1311 which is capable of HD audio (I already tested in blu-ray movies using PS3)   I press the audio button in the remote control to check yung mga available sound formats.  There's no HD audio sound format. Does this mean that the movie file I'm playing is not in HD audio or there's something wrong with my audio setting (set at HDMI passthrough muti-channel). The movie files I played are 1080p na may nakalagay na BRD with file size of 10GB to 18GB.  Do those kind of movie files have HD audio?  What's indicated in their file name is just either its DTS or dolby.  I have not seen those BD ISO movie files so I don't know if it should be stated in the file name that it is either DTS-HD Master or dolby true-hd.  By the way, what's the video wall for? Thanks.   

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #646 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 03:33 PM »
HD audiostream is stated on the filename Mumbaki.   ;)

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #647 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
Question on v4 HDD Formatting...

Is it Normal that after i formatted my Hard Disk using my mede8er, my hard disk is still in NTFS format? on v3.04 kasi, the drive was named "mede8er (C:)" or something like that...? now it displayed only the drive letter...

BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #648 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 01:02 PM »
Question on v4 HDD Formatting...

Is it Normal that after i formatted my Hard Disk using my mede8er, my hard disk is still in NTFS format? on v3.04 kasi, the drive was named "mede8er (C:)" or something like that...? now it displayed only the drive letter...

It should be NTFS format, yes. As for it having just the drive letter instead of name, I think that's normal for V4.

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #649 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 01:05 PM »
I already got back my broken MED500X.  It's already fixed and upgraded to V4.    My receiver still displays the regular DTS and Dolby, hindi pa din HD audio. I use HDMI cable for audio and video output. My receiver is Denon1311 which is capable of HD audio (I already tested in blu-ray movies using PS3)   I press the audio button in the remote control to check yung mga available sound formats.  There's no HD audio sound format. Does this mean that the movie file I'm playing is not in HD audio or there's something wrong with my audio setting (set at HDMI passthrough muti-channel). The movie files I played are 1080p na may nakalagay na BRD with file size of 10GB to 18GB.  Do those kind of movie files have HD audio?  What's indicated in their file name is just either its DTS or dolby.  I have not seen those BD ISO movie files so I don't know if it should be stated in the file name that it is either DTS-HD Master or dolby true-hd.  By the way, what's the video wall for? Thanks.   

It is also possible that the firmware used on your unit was the No HD Audio firmware. If it's this case, you won't be able to use HD Audio. (There are 2 versions of the V4 firmware)

To fix it, simply download the V4 version with the HD audio and perform the emergency update procedure.

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #650 on: Feb 28, 2011 at 01:07 PM »
... By the way, what's the video wall for? Thanks.   

Video wall is another way of looking at your collection. For a screenshot, please check this thread a few pages back.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #651 on: Mar 01, 2011 at 04:27 PM »
It should be NTFS format, yes. As for it having just the drive letter instead of name, I think that's normal for V4.

Thanks, akala ko may problem na fw update ko ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline mumbaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #652 on: Mar 02, 2011 at 08:42 AM »
I noticed that the subtitle in my V4 MED500X is not anymore occupying a lot of space in the TV screen, which is actually more pleasing to see, unlike my older firmware.  Is it beacuse of the new firmware version or is it because of the settings?  If it's beacuse of the settings, how can I adjust the size of the subtitles so it will not occupy a lot of space in the TV screen for my V3.0.4 MED500X?  Thanks.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #653 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 02:01 AM »
New Update Available....

Hi All Mede8ers

After some lengthy testing by the Mede8er Beta testers we are now releasing V4.0.4 to all Mede8er users. We really believe this release is stable and will enhance your mede8er in so many ways. Please download and follow these installation instructions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MED400X
http://www.mede8er.org/beta/Firmware_Final/Mede8er_MED400X_V4.0.4_3March2011_INC_HDaudio.zip
http://www.mede8er.org/beta/Firmware_Final/Mede8er_MED400X_V4.0.4_3March2011_NO_HDaudio.zip

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MED500X

http://www.mede8er.org/beta/Firmware_Final/Mede8er_MED500X_V4.0.4_3March2011_INC_HDaudio.zip
http://www.mede8er.org/beta/Firmware_Final/Mede8er_MED500X_V4.0.4_3March2011_NO_HDaudio.zip

Update the Mede8er in the normal way via Emergency procedure.
DO NOT USE THE RESTORE CONFIGERATION

Emergency Installation Procedure

- Download the latest Firmware from the Mede8er website
- Unrar / Unzip the file i.e. install.img
- Copy this file to the root directory of a Flash Drive
- Plug the flash drive into the Mede8er
- Disconnect the power jack at the rear of the Mede8er then plug it back in
- Now press the on/off button (on Mede8er unit - not remote) - keep it pressed in for 15 seconds and then release
- The LED on the front fascia of the Mede8er with flash red-blue
- You will get a progress bar on your TV display (some TV's will not display this)
- Wait until the Mede8er re boots itself +/- 90 sec
- Your Mede8er is now updated;
- Re-boot once by pulling power and use as normal
- Do not use Restore Confiig

xxxx WARNING - DO NOT REMOVE POWER DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS xxxxx

If you do not have you own Cover Art download the Demo
http://www.mede8er.org/beta_2010/Mede8er_Video_Wall_demo_images.rar

Online Multilanguage Guide
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_video_wall_user_guide.html

The Mede8er Web Remote full functionality is not 100% complete but many aspects can be used for demo purposes.
Switch on the Web Remote in the Setup menu
Type the following in your browsers adress bar and change the your-mede8er-ip to the Mede8er actuall IP
http://your-mede8er-ip:1024/

pls shoutcast radio staton shortcut samples http://www.mede8er.org/artwork/temp/pls_samples.rar

Note: The Video Wall now uses the USB DrIve "name" so pls make sure that your USB drives is named and if you use more than one USB Drive make sure they have different names. This can be changed in Windows -- My Computer -- Drive - Properties

Changelog from V4
1. Bootloader updater not working - should update to #26 - fixed
2. Large size FAT32 USB Hard Drive not working - fixed
3. HFS Volume link to Video Wall not working - fixed
4. No audio .mov container has H264 codec + PCM audio - fixed
5. Video Wall image quality folder.jpg & about.jpg - fixed
6. Video Wall Navigation bug - one movie on last page - fixed
7. Video Wall increased max folder.jpg size to 100k
8. Video Wall speed "next page" - fixed
9. Watched Indicator on root of HDD - fixed
10. HDD Format no name - fixed
11. IR Interference from other remotes - fixed
12. File Manager copy to protected folder - fixed
13. Web Remote enabled by default - fixed
14. Slidshow Playlist Option - fixed
15. HFS Volume mask System files ie .fseventsd .Trashes .Spotlight-V100 - fixed
16. Video Wall MAC - .AppleDouble folder problem - fixed
17. Ken Burns ettect in Picture Slide Show not working - fixed
18. m3u Playlist not working with "Umlauts" characters - fixed
19. Focus / Unfocus Series View Video Wall hard to see the focus - fixed
20. Screensaver artwork changed
21. Screensaver movement not smooth MP3 play - improved
22. Screensaver during slideshow - fixed
23. Screensaver shows when playing multiple short video in a folder - fixed
24. Screensaver appears in picture slideshow - fixed
25. Older DD hardware cannot switch MED500x off with front on/off button - fixed
26. Open image and press Zoom+ and image zooms to 16x - It should start with 2x - fixed
27. File Manager "Move" function not working - fixed
28. Protected folder in Media Library not protected in Video Wall - Fixed
29. MP4 not working from video wall "www123" profile Sony PSP Codec ID: MSNV. Works from Media Library - fixed
30 No audio .mov container has H264 codec + PCM audio - fixed

Original V4 Features

* Support Dolby True HD and DTS MA passthrough - DD+ hardware
• New “Video Wall” with mapped share functionality
• New GUI
• Improved network streaming performance (both Samba & NFS / DD+ and DD hardware)
• Improved and fixed SAMBA NTFS write (NAS Mode)
• Shoutcast Radio API implementation
• New SDK and general improvement and bug fix
• Picture Thumbnail Viewer
• Improved upsampled picture quality SD content
• Added Thai Language support
• Added Icelandic Language support

Known SDK Issues

* Sceensaver on pls Radio Station does not change song name
* MED500X cannot connect via wireless that does not broadcast SSID
* WiFi WEP
* HD Audio will only passthrough on HDMI if TV Res Output is set to 720 or Higher
* Downmix SPDIF / Co- Ax Digital must set HDMI AND SPDIF to Downmix 2 CH
* Flac .cue files support (SDK- Realtek)
* APE .cue files support (SDK - Realtek)
* ID3 tags FLAC Audio (SDK - Realtek)
* BDMV over NFS ( SDK - Realtek)
* DD+ Hardware will not Passthrough to Core5.1 from HD Audio source on SPDIF (Awaiting Realtek)
Workaround - Use the "No HD Audio Firmware Version"
* Long Playlist over 3000 songs
* Random Audio Play
* PPPoE bug (SDK- Realtek)
* Some DVD files still show Subtitles although set to "off" in the Setup Menu
* "autoplay" Folder DVD ISO from FAT32 USB stick -- Starts with no picture and press zoom button then it corrects - fixed but only plays for +- 2 min and then restarts. Suggest to use raw VOB files for "autoplay" folder

I would like to thank the Mede8er Alpha and Beta testers for all their testing and feedback.

Mede8er1
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 at 02:04 AM by stickfighter »

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #654 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 09:52 AM »
I noticed that the subtitle in my V4 MED500X is not anymore occupying a lot of space in the TV screen, which is actually more pleasing to see, unlike my older firmware.  Is it beacuse of the new firmware version or is it because of the settings?  If it's beacuse of the settings, how can I adjust the size of the subtitles so it will not occupy a lot of space in the TV screen for my V3.0.4 MED500X?  Thanks.

It's probably because of the subtitle settings brader, click the subtitle button on your remote then use the navigation key on your remote and you will be able to adjust the settings, text color, size, etc... btw, subtitle settings will appear on the top of your screen when you press subtitle button... hope this helps ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #655 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 08:24 PM »
has anyone try to use an external DVD drive on mede8er, I cant eject the disc tray of the external DVD when the mede8er detects it.,it can play the CD's/DVD but cant eject its disc after playing it and I need to unhook it on the mede8er to eject my CD/DVD on it. :-[

Offline Bleakster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #656 on: Mar 06, 2011 at 08:54 PM »
Check if your Mede8er is till running on 1080p mode. Running upgrades always resets this.
RX-V457, Wharfdale 9.5/9CS/WH-2, HDpro, Mede8er, Sanyo 32K30

Offline jimmy-

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #657 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 08:28 PM »
any else getting "delayed write failed" when transferring using usb? i'm on win xp. tnx

Offline Eddie

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #658 on: Mar 30, 2011 at 04:42 PM »
any else getting "delayed write failed" when transferring using usb? i'm on win xp. tnx

I think there's a workaround. You can try this out.
   1. Exit all programs.
   2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
   3. Click Performance and Maintenance.
   4. Click System.
   5. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
   6. Right-click your drive device, and then click Properties.
   7. On the Policies tab, click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK.
   8. On the File menu in Device Manager, click Exit.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #659 on: Apr 06, 2011 at 11:18 AM »
Mga Mede8er masters...good day!!!

Been eyeing the 500X for quite sometime already as my 1st NMT...just bought a Panny 42U20 and thought that it was time also to get an NMT.

Not really familiar with NMTs...my main concern though is on the audio side. I only use a Technics mini-component with only Dolby ProLogic  :'( (i think?) as audio hardware as it suits my needs...and the neighbors dont actually appreciate loudness in our village. So analog lang ang audio ko...content wise, may problems ba? coz of the HD content (dts, TrueHD, etc.)...or can the 500X downmix the audio? will it depend on the source also?

Really want this but I'm afraid my hardware wont be able to handle it...don"t want to upgrade my audio gear.

TIA...
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.