Author Topic: Popcorn Hour A-200! Jukebox, Apps Market, Torrent Downloader,3D,Facebook  (Read 156622 times)

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Update:

At some point in time, Hard Drives get filled up. It's always been a dilemma since I started using media players and getting rid of discs.

I actually contemplated doing the following;

1. Buy a dedicated NAS device
2. Start erasing content *gasp*
3. Buy more external drives

Luckily after mulling over the problem a couple of days I figured that what I wanted was some way to easily add/remove storage to the A-200.

Basically it's a trayless SATA enclosure with USB.

- Cheaper than a NAS (A-200 already has built-in NFS server anyway)
- Accepts Internal SATA drives which are cheaper than external units (got a 1TB WD for 4.1k for it)

I tried it out last night and it was great. I open the door and the internal drive pops out. A-200 maintains the same network share when I pop in another 1TB drive.

The fun part is making a YAMJ Jukebox in each 1TB drive so that when I put in the disk, the jukebox will change accordingly depending on what drive is mounted.

The enclosure costs P 2,300.00 so this feature which was unique to the C-200 can be had for the A-200.

Plus of course since PCH units have NFS, drives can be accessed by other gear in my home lan (xtreamer, imac, laptop).
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010 at 04:18 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ok yan ah! So no more screws just pop in the SATA drives?

Pwde share supplier mo? wala bang version na may firewire so I can also use it for macs.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010 at 04:41 PM by ditoy_eagle »
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Ok yan ah! So no more screws just pop in the SATA drives?

Pwde share supplier mo? wala bang version na may firewire so I can also use it for macs.

Yup.. tooless siya.

Here's the supplier;

Powerwin Marketing
GF Gilmore IT Center (this is the building with Shakey's facing the street)

As for firewire... since the PCH is a NAS as well, my data can be reached on any mac sa LAN. For Mac users you CAN map the drives so that they mount automatically when you wake from sleep or come from a cold boot.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010 at 04:57 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline keema

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
I LIKE!!! :)

Sir ano pong tawag dyan sa mga ganyan?

salamat po..:)

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Technically it's just an external sata enclosure pero it uses hot swap capable trays and chipsets. Ejecting the caddy is no different than doing a proper eject so risk of data corruption is low (basta don't write to the drive while ejecting).

Most server class machines use these kinds of drive trays for RAID purposes as well :)

As this is a USB/eSATA device, it should work with most media players. It has a fan as well to keep the drive cool during operation.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010 at 06:29 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thanks sir Scifi :)

Yup! nag search po ako sa net and madaming lumabas na ibat ibang brands and models pero sa price na sinabi nyo parang mura sya.

May nakita din akong mga casings para sa mga hardisks para kung madami ka eh dun mo sya lalagay. mga anti-static blah blah ung nakalagay sa descriptions. feeling ko mas okay toh, para sakin lang naman.

anyway, congrats po sir

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Thanks kukuha nga ako nyan! So needs a caddy pa para pwde ipasok sa enclosure?  I suppose they sell the caddy separately? so I can just buy lots of caddies for different hard drives
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Thanks kukuha nga ako nyan! So needs a caddy pa para pwde ipasok sa enclosure?  I suppose they sell the caddy separately? so I can just buy lots of caddies for different hard drives

No... this is a trayless model.

The older types of tray mounted storage are passe' na :)

Basta punta ka dun dala ka ng drive and you'll see how it works. You might even want to take a look at their internal enclosures (3 bay, 4 bay etc) if you wanna build a kick-arse NAS device.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Ok thanks again!

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
PCH A-200 : Best Choice in March!
« Reply #99 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 03:48 PM »
PCH A-200 Best Choice in March! On popular demand to bring back a TOP 5 media players each month, we decided to do so and made it very simple, a TOP5 up to date on a daily basis by adding the top 5 to my signature visible in all news posts and forum posts. That way, every new player passing the revue and shaking up the TOP5 will immediately reflect in our TOP5... Our TOP5 includes not only the price tag but the complete package from A to Z including performance of the brand behind it... Notice, our TOP 5 is limited to cooperating brands and players we feature only... (can't do them all so we are picky on picking the best and most promising only)

The PCH A-200 is the new leader of the pack for March and in our opinion brings PoPCorn Hour back to it's roots, bringing an affordable all rounder that is capable of taking the lead in both abilities and future enhancements without sacrificing anything. The fact a huge community is behind the product ( www.networkedmediatank.com ) adds massive fun for those who like to be technically challenged whilst the regular users can enjoy the "out of the box" do it all...

In our recent review, the A-200 showed its abilities and value which despite (according to us not so nice) design appeals by its abilities and price tag of €179. Although few quirks come with the A-200 like Sigma's issues with GBIT driver and a HD Audio glitch in the SDK (fixed soon according to Syabas), the player is capable of it all and in the near future will be fitted with a Flash based interface. Syabas is renown for it's constant updates and bringing "new features" first asked by the consumers.

Although like any other player, the A-200 is not perfect, the integration of SMB and NFS auto detection of shares, NMT apps loading Usenet, torrent, FTP, SMB server and more, only helps to keep the overhead against the competition for tech savvy people without loosing the regular customer in the process seeking a simple and straight forward player.

Sadly, it just missed the Ed. Choice award from us...
To read all about it, check out the review and get informed on March's top player at MPC.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23082
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2010 at 10:51 PM by ert »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Yup I read that article.

I hope the new GUI gets released this month :)

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Yup I read that article.

I hope the new GUI gets released this month :)

yup also waiting for that too :D hopefully maganda sya worth the wait  :D

Offline jef_eu8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
i have a c200 with a blueray drive, is it possible to unlock the bd drive to play multi region dvds? i tried playing a region 3 dvd

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
In the usual way one means "unlock", no you can't unlock a Bluray drive to be region free.

However there is a caveat.

You have to install the CSI (Community Software Installer) for the NMT and look for the C200 Region Change App.

This installed a patcher to intercept calls to check the region of your drive and allows you to play out of region discs.

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
i have a c200 with a blueray drive, is it possible to unlock the bd drive to play multi region dvds? i tried playing a region 3 dvd

what's the brand of your bluray drive? it depends..some bluray drive you can sort of "hack" on it so that you could have unlimited number of changes on the DVD Region..

Offline jef_eu8

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
sci fi fan thanks, anther question do i install the csi on my c200? sorry newbie here  ;D
ert i have lite on bd rom drive

Offline electronic70

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Hi all,

Any experience wirelessly streaming content from Apple Timecaspsule (TC) 2TB through to the PCH A-200? Any problems connecting, dropouts etc....

I got most of my content dumped into the TC already. Ideally of course, the PCH unit will work directly with the Time Capsule without having to turn on a  PC/Laptop. I use a Lenovo laptop with Windows Vista - sucks, I know - with my TC now, and am out scouting for a reasonably priced NMT that can work well with the TC.

Thanks

thanks

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
There have been reports of the A-200 not being able to connect to a Apple TC if you use security settings (TKIP, AES). I have been able to connect to the older Airport Express routers but again I had no security settings too because I was using WDS (Wireless Distribution System) and back then I couldn't put security on WDS enabled Wifi networks.

The good news is that if you can get it to connect, the TC is one of the most high-performing Wifi routers money can buy. It supports dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz) so it's like buying one of the pricey wifi routers you see in stores with 3 antennas allowing for great range with robustness against microwave/cordless phones within the area.

The not so good news is that out of the box, the TC doesn't support NFS which you might need for the fastest possible streaming for high bitrate content (1080p).

There's a fix though if you have the geek-fu  :)

http://rajeev.name/2007/11/03/time-machine-with-smb-and-nfs-shares/

Offline electronic70

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Thanks for the feedback Sci-Fi Fan!

My knowledge of network connecting is quite rudimentary, so I'll definitely have to seek professional help on this one.

I'll probably wait a few more weeks (or months) to get more feedback from users around the net before I jump in though.

Cheers
electronic70

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Any feedback on 1080p streaming using wn-150 with A-200?

Update: Success using just the cdr king wifi N
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM by Beefy »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Congrats.

Are you using this one?

LP-8697

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Yup! Not bad for 580php.. I posted on your other thread the files I tested and equipment used for reference of others who wish to stream 1080p

Offline Gsound

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
help please, how do i remove or delete file from my A200's HDD? wala kasing option na "delete file" eh.  many tnx.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
There's a button marked "File Mode" sa remote control.

Highlight the directory or file you want and press file mode.

Then press Add to List.

Once you do that, press file mode again and select delete marked items.

File mode does a lot more things like move/copy and other file related stuff.

Offline Gsound

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
tnx sifi-fan, gawin ko mamaya yan pag uwi ko ng bahay. puede pang mag tanong, paano ko ipag sasama yung mga movie file ko sa isang folder? im new here, actually its my first media tank, tnx again.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
If you plan to do a lot of arranging... mas maigi na i-share mo yung Hard Drive with the movies to be accessed remotely via PC or kung USB mounted naman to just connect directly to PC.

The file manager is there for convenience but is no match against a real PC with mouse :)

Offline Gsound

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
tnx again Scifi-fan.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2665
kelan kaya lalabas ung new gui?  :)
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline keeper

• Collector
  • Liked:
may updates naba regarding the HD audio issues?
ONKYO606.WHARF 10.6,9CM,9DFS,PSW125.TOSH HDA35,XDE500,PCHA200, PANA AX200

Offline Gsound

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
just downloaded AVI movie file to in my A200, pero ng iplay ko, walang audio. naadjust ko ng lahat pero wala pa rin.  does anybody experience the same problem? pero pag mkv ok naman. TIA.