Author Topic: Xbox HD DVD Player  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Xbox HD DVD Player
« on: Jul 07, 2009 at 02:16 AM »
Hi folks. I was looking into this device as a 1st purchase into the HD world. We all know that HD DVD is a dead format, but is it still worth the purchase for HTPC usage?

Frys.com has an actual pricing of $34.99 for the unit plus $55 for international shipping. I am looking into buying this from Frys.com. Would you also happen to know if they deliver on the items if shipped internationally?

I would love to hear your insights. Thanks folks.

Offline STRIKER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Xbox HD DVD Player
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 09:24 AM »
Hi folks. I was looking into this device as a 1st purchase into the HD world. We all know that HD DVD is a dead format, but is it still worth the purchase for HTPC usage?

Frys.com has an actual pricing of $34.99 for the unit plus $55 for international shipping. I am looking into buying this from Frys.com. Would you also happen to know if they deliver on the items if shipped internationally?

I would love to hear your insights. Thanks folks.

-I have one, when i hook it up on to my 360 i can play my DVD's on it so i may not damage the main drive.
-when i hook it up (USB) to my PC (netbook) it instantly becomes a disk drive (cause i doesnt have one).
-From what i have read you can hook this up to an NMT player so that you can use it to watch DVD on them as well.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 09:26 AM »
I have the xbox addon also and finally got it to play on my pc recently ;). You need the powerdvd ultra, download the latest update and it will play. Also your video card must have the HD compatiblilty (I think, not great at computers ;D). Actually bought this addon player when it first came out also to get a taste of hd. However last year ata (can't remember bec of its extinction >:() my xbox 360 broke down and its DOA na. My addon has been sitting there gathering dust but finally got it to play on my pc just recently :). I just use it as my 3rd  ;D backup player right now and with just TV audio. I think you can connect to your receiver but you need the sound blaster sound card that has optical outs (its quite expensive). If you have a hdmi receiver then no prob. You can connect via hdmi from your video card to your receiver.

Imo, its not worth it na to get this player bec prices of blu-ray players are coming down, especially this fourth quarter I think there might be some great deals. It might hit 99 to 150 dollars haha..Also the exclusive content in hddvd is no longer advantageous bec most universal titles are already coming out in blu-ray. Of course prices are way cheaper for hddvd (like 5 bucks ata ;D) compared to the blu-ray but the main point is that those titles are already coming out on blu-ray. You can maybe buy 50 to 100 titles on hddvd real cheap now but up to there nalang. How reliable is the xbox addon remains to be seen. If it goes then you are stuck with your 100 hddvd disc. If your blu-ray player goes, you can still buy another blu-ray player :D ;D

Good luck
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009 at 09:28 AM by Moks007 »

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 04:13 PM »
I see. There are a number of HD DVD titles not listed with Bluray yet.
If this can be hooked up to the PC via USB, how then will I get audio if I will only play it back using my monitor?

How about if I output it to just my tv(I dont have a receiver yet)..will it downmix the sound to stereo?

Thanks for the insights.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2009 at 05:26 PM »
I see. There are a number of HD DVD titles not listed with Bluray yet.
If this can be hooked up to the PC via USB, how then will I get audio if I will only play it back using my monitor?

How about if I output it to just my tv(I dont have a receiver yet)..will it downmix the sound to stereo?

Thanks for the insights.

Im not sure about the usb connection. Im using hdmi from the video card to my lcd. Audio comes out of my tv. Im not sure about the stereo downmix. But if you are just using tv sound, I don't really think the audio makes a whole lot of difference. You need to go thru a receiver and good speakers so the audio would sound better. Maybe others that are good in computers here can help you on this.

The only three ways I know is
1. using hdmi and connect from your video card to your hdmi receiver
2. Buy a sound card with optical outs (mga 5 to 8 thou ata yan or more pa) Check the sound blaster website
3. Just use hdmi from video card straight to your tv.   

If you will have to buy a new video card, sound card etc. etc. I really don't think its worth it. Just get a blu-ray player. I upgraded my pc just for this addon to work. I went ahead with this bec I have lots of hddvd discs and my addon is just sitting there gathering dust. If I will sell it, its probably just worth 1 thousand pesos :o ;D. So for me I will just hold on to it and use it as my third backup player ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2009 at 05:30 PM by Moks007 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2009 at 04:33 AM »
Many newer desktops have spdif coaxial and/or toslink connectivity na rin built-in without the need for a dedicated sound board. Yung iba kelangan lang ng riser terminals, they already have the circuitry on-board. Some notebooks also have mini-toslink jacks.

If the receiver does not support extracting audio from hdmi, usually pwede gamitin ang connectors nato.

Offline berdilotâ„¢

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 12:05 AM »
HD innovations are truly awesome.  ;D

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
What formats does the Xbox 360 HD DVD player support, does it decode Dolby TrueHD?
Also I dont have a console so Im not sure how to update the firmware in this addon, do I still need to even if im using it on a pc?
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010 at 03:19 AM by Daemon_Seraphim »

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM »
Has anyone tried using HD DVD drive with their receivers? Does it bitstream and decode Dolby TRUEHD and DTS- MA? Let's say the  HDDVD addon is connected to the PC  and in turn connected to the receiver?