Author Topic: Damages  (Read 2182 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Damages
« on: Aug 27, 2007 at 02:16 PM »
Who's watching this new TV drama starring Glenn Close? I've watched Episodes 1 - 4 already and I have to say I'm hooked. The writing is impeccable and Glenn Close is magnificent as the machiavellian damage litigation lawyer. The story unfolds at a slow burn pace. It's very intense but the plot moves with great deliberation. I love it but I don't know if the American audience will really embrace this. I hope they do though. I can't stand seeing another great series cancelled.

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Damages
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 03:40 PM »
Isn't it a hit, pre? Sis and I are watching this. I would describe the pilot as The Devil Wears Prada as if it were written by Grisham. It does indeed get darker as the series progressed. Close is mesmerizing to watch. Another compelling female character on TV during the summer season is Holly Hunter's female cop in Saving Grace.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 03:44 PM »
Ah that's good to hear bro. I rarely read TV news so I'm always late with my info. I rely on you guys for the latest news about TV shows hehe. My wife is getting turned off though. She's the type who wants resolution ASAP so by the fourth episode and there's still no denouement about who the real killer is, she was getting fidgety already. :)

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
Maganda 'to pre. It seems FX is committed to bring the show back for several seasons right out of the gate. I think the plan is to have one big case per series.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 10:42 AM »
Wasn't there a TV series before that had the same concept? That is, they tackle just one case all season? It's good to hear that FX is committed to this for the long term. It's really good! It's like watching a movie. My wife and I were discussing this at length. The feel and pacing is more like a movie's rather than a tv show.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:22 AM »
Wasn't there a TV series before that had the same concept? That is, they tackle just one case all season? It's good to hear that FX is committed to this for the long term. It's really good! It's like watching a movie. My wife and I were discussing this at length. The feel and pacing is more like a movie's rather than a tv show.

Yeah, I think it was Boomtown. From what I've seen so far, the role seems to be tailor made for somebody like Glenn Close. I really can't imagine anyone playing Patty. And how about that Ted Danson? I almost didn't recognize him.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 04:56 PM »
Yup, Ted Danson is a revelation here. Finally, a role where I can actually forget his character in Cheers.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:07 AM »
How many episodes does this have? I've finished all five episodes so far and much as I like it a lot, I wish matapos na. Lakas mambitin! Hehe.

But seriously, this is good stuff. Grisham as conspiracy theorist. Writing's good - - with a few cringeworthy cliches thrown in but those are nits ("Help me help you"). I just hope the plot arc doesn't convolute to preposterous dimensions the way it does,say,in 24 because it doesn't have the dramatic chassis for it that 24 does.

Glenn Close chews the scenery ,although I slightly prefer her in The Shield. And I've always been a Ted Danson fan (Becker's fun) and I suspect his character here's pivotal to some kind of misdirection. 
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:09 AM by X44 »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:25 AM »
How many episodes does this have? I've finished all five episodes so far and much as I like it a lot, I wish matapos na. Lakas mambitin! Hehe.

But seriously, this is good stuff. Grisham as conspiracy theorist. Writing's good - - with a few cringeworthy cliches thrown in but those are nits ("Help me help you"). I just hope the plot arc doesn't convolute to preposterous dimensions the way it does,say,in 24 because it doesn't have the dramatic chassis for it that 24 does.

Glenn Close chews the scenery ,although I slightly prefer her in The Shield. And I've always been a Ted Danson fan (Becker's fun) and I suspect his character here's pivotal to some kind of misdirection. 

Five so far, six is airing this week. Thirteen total for season one. BTW, Arthur Frobisher's the anti Becker  :)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 01:17 PM »
Mismo.

But him being set up as a villain in a Tv show full of misdirections - - - hmmmm. More than meets the eye. Will await Ep.6 this week - - -and maybe find out where that frigging body is, if they show it. Hopefully we get more scenes from the presentday, eager to find out how deep Philip Bosco's character is involved in this. Hehe.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007 at 02:19 PM by X44 »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 12:25 PM »
Wasn't there a TV series before that had the same concept? That is, they tackle just one case all season?

Are you referring to Murder One?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 05:05 PM »
Ayun, that's it, Murder One nga. :)

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM »
Just watched this. Great series. The last 6 or 7 episodes, I couldn't stop watching.

Midway through, I suspected that the old guy who first offered Ellen a job was a bad guy. Then in the second to last episode I thought, I'm right! Tapos hindi pala, hehe.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM by sardaukar »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 11:19 PM »
Season 2 starts tomorrow.. really looking forward to it.. they have great additions to the cast.. William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden and Timothy Olyphant..

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2009 at 01:18 AM »
S02E02 yesterday. Is this good? Might catch up with S1 if yes.

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2009 at 05:08 AM »
S02E02 yesterday. Is this good? Might catch up with S1 if yes.

I'll answer my own question. The series is VERY GOOD!

Watch it if you haven't yet.

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM »
FX decided not to renew Damages for a 4th season. Sayang naman! Ganda pa naman nito. Pero, naghahanap ang Sony ng bagong network, particularly sa DirecTv.

Offline deuce

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2010 at 07:18 PM »
"...DirecTV has reached a deal with Sony Pictures Television to acquire Damages  from FX. Under the terms of the pact, DirecTV’s 101 network will air two additional seasons of the drama—each consisting of 10 episodes—beginning in 2011."

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/07/19/directv-deal-saves-damages/

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2010 at 05:03 PM »
"...DirecTV has reached a deal with Sony Pictures Television to acquire Damages  from FX. Under the terms of the pact, DirecTV’s 101 network will air two additional seasons of the drama—each consisting of 10 episodes—beginning in 2011."

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/07/19/directv-deal-saves-damages/

That's good! We'll get to see more stunning performances, non-linear plots and season long storylines! :bd