Author Topic: Sound setup for a small bar  (Read 2741 times)

Offline fong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sound setup for a small bar
« on: Nov 09, 2009 at 05:42 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a setup that's simple and not too expensive for a bar setup? I don't have any ideas now on the amps and the speakers.

Basically we will be playing music via iPod and computer.. but we want to have the music crisp and solid... any suggestions? Sa second hand market too?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
Re: Sound setup for a small bar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 06:26 PM »
Would this be for a liquor counter in your house? Or a pub?

Appropriate suggestions would also depend on the type of music you'd play, how loud you'd like to play, your sonic preference, and how much you're willing to spend.

Offline fong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:54 PM »
Hi Stagea,

It's a pub/ restobar that we're putting up. The music that will be played will be from acoustic to alternative, pero basically halo halo rin. So I guess we need an all around speaker.

Budget maliit lang.. I'm looking at 50,000.00 coz I was thinking two speakers na malaki (ceiling mounted) plus Amp would d?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:03 PM »
adding to sir stagea's question, maybe you can give a small description of the place, how big (sq meters), shape of room (square, rectangular etc). this could gives our gurus some idea if the two speakers you are proposing is already enough to fill the room with the genre of music you have mentioned.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:42 PM »
Ang sarap sana setup nito... kaso busy  :(

Would the 50K include the source? (cdp/dvd/player)

2 JBL EON "clones" and a powered mixer is your best bet for 50K. This should include installation and wiring if the distance between powered mixer and speakers is not that far. A sub would be nice but it won't be of much use for a noisy bar.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:52 PM »
You should also consider if you will also be using the system for live bands.

Tara Stagea, punta tayo. Hehe!

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:18 AM »
You should also consider if you will also be using the system for live bands.

Tara Stagea, punta tayo. Hehe!

Yup... I think yung mixing board suggestion ni Sir Jojo will allow him to do that. Pwede ren diyan magkabit ng ibang equipment kung may balak mag-spin. :)

San ba yan Nelson? Hehehe. Di ko pa narinig ang famed setup mo sa car at sa house.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM »
iPod and PC source pala, so for 50K a powered mixer and EON clones would be the best solution... as for live bands, ibang usapan na yan sir...

Offline fong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I still can't get the floor plan as wala pang soft copy from the designer.

@JojoD818,

Can you give me any tips what brand type of powered mixer as well as the EON clones and where to get them? Are the EON clones counterfeit/copies?

Thanks!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM »
We need the floor area, take into consideration when it's full of noisy people for each person has a coefficient of absorption (like in theaters).

There are a lot of powered mixers on the market that would fit your budget and application. The EON clones are more of passive copies than counterfeits. The original EONs are bi-amped (gainclone amps), powered speakers (active) and they accept balanced inputs designed for mobile gears, auditorium setups, bars, etc. One good example that uses these EONs is Quiapo Church.

Unfortunately, EONs are relatively expensive, that's why I suggested a powered mixer that would power passive EON clones.

Offline fong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 02:30 PM »
Hi,

Here's the link for the floor plan:

http://rapidshare.com/files/305823256/resto_Model__1_.pdfq.pdf.html

We went to Raon earlier and canvassed Crown Speakers and Crown amplifiers... Here's the initial list of items we plan to get. Super cheap nga!

Crown Pro 5001 x 2 (600W)
Crown CA-870 power amp (2x870W @ 8 ohms)
MT-8 Mixer.

All these for under 40k.

Any inputs?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 06:31 PM »
There you go! I bet that's more than enough for your application. You can spend the 10K for your interconnects and wiring.  ;)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2009 at 04:23 PM »
We used this powered Behringer B300 this morning (sorry I didn't have my cam with me  >:()...

Should also be suitable for your application... :)

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 218
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2010 at 02:01 PM »
hi. buhayin ko sana itong thread ni sir fong with questions of my own.

my friends and i will also be putting up an acoustic bar and i'm in the dark on what should be the minimum specs of the speakers, amplifiers and mixer that we need. the setup will be used for an acoustic performer (read-singer with acoustic guitar) and we also plan to integrate the videoke in it. this way, if there is no performer, the customers will be the ones to perform. ;D

would a power mixer also suffice to provide the power for this kind of setup? or would it be far better to have a separate mixer and amplifier/s? by the way the floor area is about 50sqm with the shape of an "L". we plan to place the stage in the crook of the "L". Regarding budget, we are in an austerity mode and can only spend up to 30k. that's why i plan to scrounge the surplus shops specifically in the south harbor pier area to see if i can find something to fit our needs.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 08:00 AM »
Sa 50sq meters na floor area, baka pro audio system na ang kailangan mo. Mahihirapan ang mga integrated amplifiers sa pier not unless na hindi naman ganun kalakas ang kailangan mo.

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 08:56 AM »
thanks for the reply sir Nelson. yeah that was what we did. we bought a powered mixer and professional speakers for the setup.

one thing i learned during my hunt in the pier area is that the availability of professional gears in the pier is a by chance basis. if you happen to be there when gears like those are unloaded then good for you. most of the gears displayed in the surplus shops are more for audio listening not for live performance.

thanks again for the reply sir.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:09 AM »
would a power mixer also suffice to provide the power for this kind of setup? or would it be far better to have a separate mixer and amplifier/s? by the way the floor area is about 50sqm with the shape of an "L". we plan to place the stage in the crook of the "L". Regarding budget, we are in an austerity mode and can only spend up to 30k. that's why i plan to scrounge the surplus shops specifically in the south harbor pier area to see if i can find something to fit our needs.

A strong powered mixer is more than enough to fill that area with sound, especially if it's an enclosed location. If it's an open space, there are really powerful powered mixers around which should be enough to drown even a loud crowd with sound (given the right speakers).

For a budget build, check out Behringer's Europower Powered Mixers. SRPs range from $300-$810 (actual retail prices are much lower), with power outputs ranging from 180 watts to 1600 watts rms.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 09:10 AM »
thanks for the reply sir Nelson. yeah that was what we did. we bought a powered mixer and professional speakers for the setup.

one thing i learned during my hunt in the pier area is that the availability of professional gears in the pier is a by chance basis. if you happen to be there when gears like those are unloaded then good for you. most of the gears displayed in the surplus shops are more for audio listening not for live performance.

thanks again for the reply sir.

Oops, my response was too late. Congrats with your new gear sir Bongkadi. :)

Offline TinkerTailor

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM »
Oops, my response was too late. Congrats with your new gear sir Bongkadi. :)

thanks sir. :)

its ok, nakatulong pa rin remarks nyo. it confirmed my idea of just using a powered mixer to simplify things and to save on the budget.

right now i'm getting used to the hassles of the hospitality business, starting from the lack of sleep, keeping track of the stocks, and performing a set or two of singing when needed. ;D