Author Topic: Transistor Radios  (Read 2588 times)

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Transistor Radios
« on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:41 AM »
Due to the brownouts experienced last night...it made me rethink and remember my younger days wherein my parents and grandparents used to have a trusted transistor radios which they always used during power outages.

I used to have something similar to the Sony ICF-SW35 transistor radio which ran on 4AA batteries. However, a few years back..it conked out already. Planning to get another one to replace it.

Any PDVD guys out there who also have one? What do you have? Where did you get them.

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
Re: Transistor Radios
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:55 AM »
have a china made radio [forgot the brand] that runs on a pair of aa batteries. got it through my office mate who got it from divisoria. just use it for getting news in case of prolonged power outages.
peace man!

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM »
I have a Philips Freeplay windup radio that doesn't need batteries. It's very handy because you don't need to worry about batteries. I got it as a freebie when I bought a Philips Pixel Plus TV several years back.

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM »
^ Wow...that one is a cool gadget.

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 04:52 PM »
^ I have a Philips Freeplay windup radio that doesn't need batteries. It's very handy because you don't need to worry about batteries. I got it as a freebie when I bought a Philips Pixel Plus TV several years back.

:) Same here I have one...gave away from my previous employer as a safety Token..Opened it up out of curiousity and found two AA NiMh battery inside. A minute or so of gentle winding will give you 30mins of free juice of AM/FM radio broadcast. Cool color too silver.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010 at 04:53 PM by CeeV »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 05:20 PM »
I missed those portable AM/FM radios.  Especially last night at the height of the brownout due to Basyang.  The only thing that entertained me was my Nokia 6500 slide with its FM radio and my 4 GB card full of mp3 files.  Good thing it was fully charged.  I really wish there's a cellphone with AM radio, in addition to FM. 

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 05:29 PM »
I missed those portable AM/FM radios.  Especially last night at the height of the brownout due to Basyang.  The only thing that entertained me was my Nokia 6500 slide with its FM radio and my 4 GB card full of mp3 files.  Good thing it was fully charged.  I really wish there's a cellphone with AM radio, in addition to FM. 

had one before that came with my Sun subscription, SE R300.
Know Thyself!

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 06:02 PM »
In times of this.....Philips Portable Wind Up Radio AE1000 is the best!!

Heres the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Portable-Wind-Radio-AE1000/dp/B00007EDQR
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Pandidoy

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • Collector
  • pandidoy
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 06:17 PM »
Where to buy this Philips Portable Wind Up Radio?  Although we used a 60 pesos AA powered portable radio  bought in Quiapo during the brownout

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 09:09 PM »
This is how it looks like:

Maybe you can try the appliance stores if they still have it.

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM »
I AM selling those trustworthy and enduringly durable - but grandfatherly - transistor radio for the last five years, in our province. The only brand I trade and rely on is REM'S. Its called the APPLE model, the chassis is made of lawanit wood and molded plastic. Runs on four D Batteries, and has a tiny LED light when you raised the volume by 45. This is the very archetype of those trusted, good old transistors that my family and generation has used everyday since the 1960s till today. Rem's qualifiable boast of its radio's manufacturing goodness is that the frequency reach extends to as far as Romblon. That means the radio could still picked up the NCR major stations to as far as Romblon, Mindoro or Masbate. The wonderful thing about it is that the "static" is highly manageable, or barely there (the static disturbance and the "interlapping" frequency where two consecutive stations cancels each other out is what distinguishes a superior radio from a poorly made one), the four batteries could endure to as much as four months of daily use, and runs exclusively on DC power, no AC plug.

Its a cause for consternation, though, that many folks especially the younger ones are turned off from buying my Rem's because it runs exclusively on batteries, but I learned from looking that AC power is the very factor that wrought static disturbance to the unit, the plug also inhibits the radio from being positioned to any angle to capture the best signal. Hence, if I wanted to sell radios at a faster turnover, the Rem's will never give a lucrative margin. But because I sticked steadfastly to the ideal that there are people who still prefers this old-type technology (much like a few audiophiles maintains this affection for tubes and vinyl), I knew I'd cater more to the oldtimer souls and the ones who couldn't sleep well anymore.

The Rem's is for sale any season - rain or shine - at OHM's and AMPERE electronic shops at Raon, Quiapo. I get it at wholesale.

Offline retro12195

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM »
Where to buy this Philips Portable Wind Up Radio?  Although we used a 60 pesos AA powered portable radio  bought in Quiapo during the brownout
Inquire ka kay TOY01 :D :D
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission