Author Topic: Panasonic 42X50 vs Samsung PS43E450  (Read 15287 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Panasonic 42X50 vs Samsung PS43E450
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM »

Yes, that's right.  "S" is Singapore.

On the Panny Phil. website, they posted the models X50X and XT50X:

http://www.panasonic.com.ph/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/tv/plasma/xseries
http://www.panasonic.com.ph/wps/portal/home/products/digitalav/tv/plasma/xtseries

I have no idea why.  Does that make sense?  Ang lapit lang sa atin ng Singapore; ang layo naman ng Mexico.

It's usually "S" (Singapore) for Panny Phils.; sometimes "K" (Malaysia).  It's only this year that I've seen them post an "X."

Guess my set is a parallel import.  Is this good or bad?

Yep, most Japanese makes don't include advanced controls in entry level to midlevel models to prevent the user from approaching the PQ of higher models.

Yup I agree.  I am not expecting it to be on par with the full HD models as I have budget constraints.  80% of the time it will be used for analog cable TV watching and 20% watching mkvs and it performs well on these applications.  I still have my 50UT30 and Epson 8350 for watching BDs and PS3 gaming.

If I was to choose a TV for an HT setup, I would go for at least a full HD set such as the ST or the VT series....still with Panasonic.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM »
Guess my set is a parallel import.  Is this good or bad?

Gray units used to be bad because warranty was unreliable.  These days, it depends on the retailer. 

For example, SnS can replace a defective unit with a new one, no questions asked.  In that case, you'll do better with a gray unit than a white unit.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM by barrister »

Offline acebone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 04:36 AM »
Just got the Panasonic 42X50.  Although I cannot compare its PQ to the Samsung 43E450, I've tested it on analog TV and I am satisfied with it as with my other Panny plasmas.  Tried a few mkvs and HD content too.  On my inital assessment,  I find that it has a "darker" output compared to my previous PV8.  Colors are a bit bland on cable TV viewing except when it is on the dynamic mode.  When it comes to MKVs via HDMI,  colors are more vibrant in game mode.  When in cinema, normal or true cinema mode, colors are somewhat bland.  Seeing its potential for improvement on the Game mode, maybe colors can be corrected with calibration.  Note that these observations are out of the box default settings. I surmise that the lack of brightness and color could be attributed to its lower wattage (200 watts).

My reason for buying a Panasonic vs a Samsung is its durability based on my experience.  I have been a Panasonic plasma fan since the PV70 which still works without any problems up to this day.  My PV8 is also working fine without any problems. 

My friend and brother in law had a Samsung LCD bought the same time as my PV70 and both developed problems and are not useable anymore.  I just can't pinpoint the exact problem but when I ask them about it sabi lang "Sira na".  Both did not buy any Samsung TVs after.

This is why I posted this forum to get better feedbacks.  I also have two friends who purchased Samsung LCD TVs and had some problems.  The other one is not working anymore while my other friend's although working has been replaced already due to power problems.  However, with Panasonic owners that I've read here in PDVD, only a few..I mean very few have had problems.  Also, I was able see in person the Panasonic 42X50 and compare it to Samsung 43E450.  Panasonic's PQ is better than Samsung's.  Colors and the picture itself is more realistic than the Samsung's somewhat aesthetic.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 05:49 AM »
Panasonic's PQ is better than Samsung's.  Colors and the picture itself is more realistic than the Samsung's somewhat aesthetic.

Picture quality can be quite subjective. If the Panasonic's picture appeals to you, then by all means go for it. With the default settings,  the Samsung's picture would be rich on the reds. The Panasonic on the other hand would have dominant greens.

The Samsung's main advantages are RGB controls (allowing you to calibrate the image to a more proper color balance), better contrast, deeper blacks, finer shadow detail, higher motion resolution and lower power consumption (aside from being slightly larger). The Panasonic's main advantages are good deinterlacing and 24Hz cadence, together with a fairly good reputation for reliability.

I've been a Panasonic plasma and lcd user for sometime now. They've been quite durable in my experience, save for some problems here and there. I just feel that Samsung has the stronger product at this price point from the image quality standpoint.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012 at 05:54 AM by Stagea »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 05:54 AM »

This is why I posted this forum to get better feedbacks.  I also have two friends who purchased Samsung LCD TVs and had some problems.  The other one is not working anymore while my other friend's although working has been replaced already due to power problems.  However, with Panasonic owners that I've read here in PDVD, only a few..I mean very few have had problems.  Also, I was able see in person the Panasonic 42X50 and compare it to Samsung 43E450.  Panasonic's PQ is better than Samsung's.  Colors and the picture itself is more realistic than the Samsung's somewhat aesthetic.

If I may suggest that if it is going to be your main TV, go for the Panasonic 42ST30 (neoPDP, full HD, 3D, frame interpolation).  As the going rate is P35k, you can request to get the unit at around P29k without the 3D glasses and then maybe order online generic 3D glasses from amazon later for less than half the price of the original Panasonic glasses. That's what I did and I can recommend them.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-SSZ-200BP-Rechargeable-Panasonic-HDTVs-BLACK/dp/B007F6XSL0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353426337&sr=8-3&keywords=Sainsonic

With an additional P4k to your budget you get better PQ plus the other features.  You can also check the thread regarding 3D before buying those glasses.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,167853.0.html
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,168675.0.html

At the end of the day,  you will be the end user and it still boils down to your preference.  In my experience,  whatever you buy enjoy it.  Stop comparing with better units and looking for flaws in the system as this will start the non ending upgrade itch.  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 05:57 AM »
At the end of the day,  you will be the end user and it still boils down to your preference.  In my experience,  whatever you buy enjoy it.  Stop comparing with better units and looking for flaws in the system as this will start the non ending upgrade itch.  ;D

I agree. Get what you want and enjoy what you purchased. :)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:07 AM »
Picture quality can be quite subjective. If the Panasonic's picture appeals to you, then by all means go for it. With the default settings,  the Samsung's picture would be rich on the reds. The Panasonic on the other hand would have dominant greens.

The Samsung's main advantages are RGB controls (allowing you to calibrate the image to a more proper color balance), better contrast, deeper blacks, finer shadow detail, higher motion resolution and lower power consumption (aside from being slightly larger). The Panasonic's main advantages are good deinterlacing and 24Hz cadence, together with a fairly good reputation for reliability.

I've been a Panasonic plasma and lcd user for sometime now. They've been quite durable in my experience, save for some problems here and there. I just feel that Samsung has the stronger product at this price point from the image quality standpoint.

Actually, the Panasonic X50s default settings were bad and not convincing as I have been an owner of Panasonic TVs.  In the showroom, the default is on the dynamic settings resulting to washed out and oversaturated colors.  Good thing that after a few adjustments at home, I got the result I wanted.  As with many TVs, showroom settings are not ideal home settings.  So it is still hard to gauge a TVs potential in the showroom unless you bring in some Material you are familiar with and tinker with the settings as you test them out.  I was going against the flow when I bought the unit and my only guide was my personal experience with Panasonic.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:33 AM »
So it is still hard to gauge a TVs potential in the showroom unless you bring in some Material you are familiar with and tinker with the settings as you test them out.  I was going against the flow when I bought the unit and my only guide was my personal experience with Panasonic.

I totally agree. The default setting of most TVs is intended to give that "pop" and attract customers in a showroom setting (and not really to deliver a neutral picture). Aside from this, I've seen reps in dealers max out contrast settings to raise the intensity even further.

In recent plasmas, the settings are often also trimmed to reduce power consumption and heat dissipation.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:34 AM by Stagea »

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2012 at 08:23 PM »
makikisabat lng po. I was a panasonic fan before. Always recommended them to friends and clients but recently, frustrated ako sa kanila. Had a plasma that had a major problem recently after just 3 yrs. No video but all the menu selections were working. Service center repair cost was close to the cost of a new one. The lcd got broke after 2 mos. After the 13th month sira na naman. Repair would also be close to getting a new one. Ayoko na sa panasonic ngayon. Samsung is my choice these days. My experience lng po.
Making the most of what I've got

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2012 at 12:30 AM »
makikisabat lng po. I was a panasonic fan before. Always recommended them to friends and clients but recently, frustrated ako sa kanila. Had a plasma that had a major problem recently after just 3 yrs. No video but all the menu selections were working. Service center repair cost was close to the cost of a new one. The lcd got broke after 2 mos. After the 13th month sira na naman. Repair would also be close to getting a new one. Ayoko na sa panasonic ngayon. Samsung is my choice these days. My experience lng po.

wow... sad to hear about this experience...  :(

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2012 at 03:13 AM »
For me kung saan mas ok sa paningin nyo go for it. Lahat naman kasi ng gadgets nasisira o may lemon units. Nasa after sales support nalang nagkakatalo. I myself own a pana lcd and sammy plasma so far so good naman (fingers crossed) and am happy naman with my purchases. I also plan on getting a toshiba any time soon. Just enjoy the tv.
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline emvi_2000

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 02:24 PM »
I was at SnS yesterday and I was looking at the 42X50...The screen colors looked kinda yellowish as compared say to the flagship 50VT30. There was no PS43E450/490 so I can't compared the two. I only need a 42/43 incher so I'm not considering the 50 incher. Any recommendations? Should I wait for an ST series since I'm not really in a hurry to buy a new TV yet?

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 07:30 PM »
I was at SnS yesterday and I was looking at the 42X50...The screen colors looked kinda yellowish as compared say to the flagship 50VT30. There was no PS43E450/490 so I can't compared the two. I only need a 42/43 incher so I'm not considering the 50 incher. Any recommendations? Should I wait for an ST series since I'm not really in a hurry to buy a new TV yet?

try visiting other shops and checking for stocks of ST and VT series. ;)
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2012 at 08:51 PM »

Ang malas mo naman sir.

Pero reliable pa rin ang Panasonic.  Kahit Samsung marami rin ang nasisira agad.  Halos pareho lang ang reliability.

Offline emvi_2000

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2013 at 01:55 AM »
Kahit ST solve na ako..sana meron pa sa ibang shops... :)