Author Topic: Bookshelf speakers  (Read 2420 times)

Offline JAZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bookshelf speakers
« on: Sep 04, 2011 at 08:16 AM »
I am looking at setting up an audio system using the NAD515BEE CD player and the NAD326BEE (50x2 watts) amp.

I've been offered the Polkaudio RTi A3, or the paradigm Titan or Mini Monitor speakers. I was actually going to buy the B&W 685 but was told I needed an 80 watt amp to get the most out of it.

Which one would you guys recommend? Kahit ibang brand, basta bookshelf.

Tks in advance for any help.

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
Re: Bookshelf speakers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 08:31 AM »
I've heard Nad with Epos speakers with excellent results - there's definitely a synergy with these 2.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2011 at 08:34 AM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 08:52 AM »
I am looking at setting up an audio system using the NAD515BEE CD player and the NAD326BEE (50x2 watts) amp.

I've been offered the Polkaudio RTi A3, or the paradigm Titan or Mini Monitor speakers. I was actually going to buy the B&W 685 but was told I needed an 80 watt amp to get the most out of it.

Which one would you guys recommend? Kahit ibang brand, basta bookshelf.

Tks in advance for any help.

You don't need an 80 watt amplifier for the 685 however the pairing with the NAD 326 will result in a sound that is too warm with subdued highs. A better match for the 685 would be a Rotel amp. But if you already have the NAD amp and CD player combo I suggest you look at PSB Image line of speakers, Monitor Audio, and Klipsch. I haven't heard the RTi A3 with NAD but that combination might work too. For Paradigm, I find the Monitor line to be still a little too bright even when paired with NAD.   
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline JAZ

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 03:14 PM »
Thanks for this, just what I needed. I want to stick with the NAD setup for some reason so I might just check out the other speakers you guys mentioned, specially the monitor audio.

Not sure why that guy was pushing me to a higher amp, for some reason he thinks b&w speakers need the extra oomph.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 03:22 PM »
check out psb speakers. both nad and psb are under the same umbrella org  ;)
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 06:38 PM »
pasingit threadmaster since BS

set up is only HTiB 3400 and would like to upgrade my LCR speaker. ( my HTiB  is good naman for movies pero bad for music, but when i tested Wharfe 8.2, gumanda xa for music.) my choices of bookshelf's are. .....

1. wharfe 10.1 - 10.2 / 10cm = 6 ohms
2. rti A 1 / csi 20 = 8 ohms
3. svs s-series ( 2nd hand selling for 25k LCR here in Davao) = 8 ohms

more on movies (.mkv). gusto ko un malamig/magaan pakinggan, d masakit s tenga. room is 4-5m x 7m lang po. plus un meron bass kunti from BS kc 10" passive lang un s HTiB ko.

TIA!

add on question.

1. dba kung mas mataas un ohms ng speaker, mas magaan dalhin ng reciever,( 8 > 6ohms), tama ba? if yes,
      bakit un dynamic power ay bumaba like kun 6 ohms 110 per channel but only 85 per channel if 8 ohms?

2. using wharfe 8.2 or yun stock, nasa 45 to 55 un volume ko ( both 6ohms ), if 8 ohms speaker pipiliin ko,              will there be a significant crank up of my volume for my preference like s 6 ohms speaker? ( 70 ata un mAX vol ng reciever ko)

sensya ha, bago lang ako s ganitong hobbie. :-) TIA 

Offline Kettch

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • The bantha crows at dawn.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 09:55 PM »
I've owned a pair of Paradigm Titans and I can vouch for these speakers. You should audition that along with the NAD or the Dayton DTA 100. Watts Hifi in MCS has those amps, just not sure if they have a display unit of the Titans right now. You can PM otep32.

Offline JAZ

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM »
Thought I'd let you guys know what I finally settled for. Got the NAD setup 515cd player and 326 amp. For the speakers I ended up buying Monitor Audio RX1s. Went to their showroom in Banawe and tried out both the RX1 and RX2. Opted for the RX1 because I have limited space and I liked the less bass sound they produced (will get more fuller sounding floor speakers with lots of base when I can afford it) so for now that's my set-up.

Audio World has great service and really let you Audition their gear. They didn't have the finish I wanted so they let me take home their showroom speakers until their new stocks arrive, gives me a chance to change my mind and upgrade to the RX2 but doubt that will happen.

Thanks again guys for the info, bought my NAD gear from watts hifi because of kettch and got the monitor audio speakers on conan's reco.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 01:04 AM »
^ great haul jaz. the rx line is indeed very musical and also one of the best speakers i've heard in its price point.  ;)
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 01:20 PM »
Thought I'd let you guys know what I finally settled for. Got the NAD setup 515cd player and 326 amp. For the speakers I ended up buying Monitor Audio RX1s. Went to their showroom in Banawe and tried out both the RX1 and RX2. Opted for the RX1 because I have limited space and I liked the less bass sound they produced (will get more fuller sounding floor speakers with lots of base when I can afford it) so for now that's my set-up.

Audio World has great service and really let you Audition their gear. They didn't have the finish I wanted so they let me take home their showroom speakers until their new stocks arrive, gives me a chance to change my mind and upgrade to the RX2 but doubt that will happen.

Thanks again guys for the info, bought my NAD gear from watts hifi because of kettch and got the monitor audio speakers on conan's reco.

Congrats bro that should sound awesome! I've been eyeing the RX1 myself.  ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60