Author Topic: Plasma vs LED: What's your take?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline abcerase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LED: What's your take?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM »
It's safe then to conclude through the improvement in technology in handling efficiency (assuming that it is really working), power consumption won't be much of a factor anymore. We go back then to the question, where are we going to use our TV? For gaming or movies :)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #31 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 02:19 AM »
Plasma Disadvantages:
Higher running cost (electric consumption is higher) - hmm how significant compared to LCD (LED)? we need to have actual data and not just general impression.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/
In this list, the Sony KDL-52NX800 52" LED only consumed 95W on average (calibrated), versus the 294W on average (calibrated) for the 50" Panasonic TC-P50V10. Both are full HD TVs, with the Sony actually having a size advantage.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 07:15 AM »
http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/
In this list, the Sony KDL-52NX800 52" LED only consumed 95W on average (calibrated), versus the 294W on average (calibrated) for the 50" Panasonic TC-P50V10. Both are full HD TVs, with the Sony actually having a size advantage.

CNET follows the 10-min test based on IEC while the Japanese Energy Conservation Policy standard testing procedure is for 24 hours (4.5 hours running  + 19.5 hours standby), updated as of April 2010.    All makers are required to have their HDTVs tested under exactly the same conditions and results informed to the public as part of the national program.

One practical solution is to try to ask someone who owns either an LCD or a Plasma to observe their monthly kWh consumption before and after buying.  It's more inaccurate of course, and quite difficult to determine data swings as any of these HDTV would not really consume as much as your fridge or the aircon /heater or the iron under normal household conditions.  Ive tried that everytime I bought a new TV - couldnt tell any difference really.

Anyone here got the shock of their life with Meralco's kWh readings the month following their HDTV purchase?

BTW, tigasin tip.  This one was brought to my attention by my wife - and it seems to be true at least in our house.  For some reason, bakit hindi madaling kapitan ng alikabok ang plasma panel compared to LCD and CRT?   hahaha.  Ang dali linisin.   Lalo na ang CRT, kakapunas ko palang, meron na ulit alikabok.  hehehe

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2010 at 08:02 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline ramgos

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 08:18 AM »

Anyone here got the shock of their life with Meralco's kWh readings the month following their HDTV purchase?

Did not remember any such upsurge in the bill at that time. Maybe because we were just too excited of the new tv then that we did not feel it?  ;D

Maybe we will try to check the before and after billing when we upgrade our tv next time.  :D

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 08:36 AM »
It's safe then to conclude through the improvement in technology in handling efficiency (assuming that it is really working), power consumption won't be much of a factor anymore. We go back then to the question, where are we going to use our TV? For gaming or movies :)

Suitable for you, LED is.   ;D

MAGANDA yung mga bagong high-end Toshiba Regza (next attraction na yata sa SnS).  Mas lalong maganda sana ang Sharp Quatron (RGB+Yellow) kaso they dont market their best LED models sa Asia.  Maganda rin yung bagong 42V LED ng Panasonic - the newest one.   Ang lilinis na ng motion.

I also like the LG colors dati pa, although I haven't checked their LED models closely yet.

Kaso, baka 1 Toshiba Regza LED would cost the same as the Panasonic V20, PLUS a 24-inch full HD LED LCD Monitor by Samsung or LG.   ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2010 at 08:39 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline artsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 08:43 AM »
Lalo na ang CRT, kakapunas ko palang, meron na ulit alikabok.  hehehe

Ganun talaga CRTs coz may flyback transformer yan na mataas yung voltage so it basically attacts dust. Pansin ko nga sa CRT-TV area namin laging maalikabok. Dust magnet sya :D

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #36 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 09:08 AM »
this one was brought to my attention by my wife - and it seems to be true at least in our house.  For some reason, bakit hindi madaling kapitan ng alikabok ang plasma panel compared to LCD and CRT?   hahaha.  Ang dali linisin.   Lalo na ang CRT, kakapunas ko palang, meron na ulit alikabok. 

Yup, CRTs can work as a capacitor and build a static charge. Lalo na mga lumang CRT TVs pag matagal nang umaandar pag dinikit mo kamay mo you can feel the static tugging on your arm's hairs (the weird feeling na parang may kuryente)... and sometimes you can get zapped by touching the glass. Most new CRTs don't build as much charge (anti static coating/features and good earthing)

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 09:21 AM »
Yeah but between Plasma and LCD, I feel less resistant sa alikabok ang Plasma somehow.  Maybe dahil sa init ng screen or perhaps due to the hard(er) panel surface? 

Pati sa Panasonic catalogue, meron pang animation ng housewife na tuwang tuwa ang mukha na magpunas ng panel kasi ang dali daw.  So kung OC yung Mrs. nyo sa paglilinis, plasma hahaha.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #38 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 09:50 AM »
one major thing that made me decide to have Plasma over LCD or LED for the living room besides picture quality and other specs is the glass panel - CRT like ... LED or LCD can be easily damage if you have children on the house ... on plasma's you can easily wipe those finger prints ... on LCD's and LED's, children can easily scratch those screens

i suggest that if you're getting large LCD's or LED's, mount the units on the wall and out of reach ... plasma tv's are quite rugged just like the old crt's
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J