Author Topic: Please recommend a transport...  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Garp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Please recommend a transport...
« on: Jul 16, 2010 at 08:04 PM »
I know there are already many threads about cdp but the discussion are usually about sound quality, which I'm not interested in.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with cheap (10-15K) cd players or even dvd players that have good transport mech. By good I just really mean durable. I don't really care about the DAC/analog amplification portion because I'm using an external DAC.

I know my old broken NAD uses a Sony transport, the latest Marantz players use Sanyo and Cambridge Audio uses its own custom transport (or is this just rebranded?). I remember my NAD having problems only after more than a year of usage so I'm a little wary of Sony transports.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Please recommend a transport...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 05:37 AM »
When you say you have a broken transport, what exactly do you mean? Is it physically damaged, or just the lens incapable of reading CDs?
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010 at 05:37 AM by rascal101 »

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 09:25 AM »
The cd skips a lot. I've replaced the laser pickup twice and problem would persist after just two weeks of each replacement. I'm fed up with it so I'm looking for anything that's more robust. Right now I'm leaning towards the cheapest Cambridge Audio model.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM »
Ah ok.

Based on my experience with transports, as long as major sources for vibrations is reduced even an ordinary DVD player should do the job. For my Lo-D HDA-001 DAC, I just use a modified low cost LG DVD player.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,117670.msg1221605.html#msg1221605

Besides what I've listed in the above link, I also place a granite slab atop the DVD. So far, I am very happy with its SQ as standalone and with the Lo-D DAC combo.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM by rascal101 »

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2010 at 03:05 PM »
I know there are already many threads about cdp but the discussion are usually about sound quality, which I'm not interested in.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with cheap (10-15K) cd players or even dvd players that have good transport mech. By good I just really mean durable. I don't really care about the DAC/analog amplification portion because I'm using an external DAC.

I know my old broken NAD uses a Sony transport, the latest Marantz players use Sanyo and Cambridge Audio uses its own custom transport (or is this just rebranded?). I remember my NAD having problems only after more than a year of usage so I'm a little wary of Sony transports.
This Cheaper alternative try this Pioneer Stable Platter! I tried some good DVD player but nothing beats this Player! If you are lucky you can get them less than 10K

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2010 at 03:12 PM »
You're very lucky if you can find this CDP for sale. I should have bought one years ago when I had the chance. Back then, if I remember correctly it was being sold at < Php 5k.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2010 at 04:39 PM »
You're very lucky if you can find this CDP for sale. I should have bought one years ago when I had the chance. Back then, if I remember correctly it was being sold at < Php 5k.
I bought mine to my Friend came from KSA, with box and Remote (Multi Voltage input). Surprisingly the best transport I have, it can read CDR as instant! Once you load it you can play with it!
And its bellt Driven, awesome! By the way, it's only good as a transport!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2010 at 02:48 PM »
Thanks for the tips! That LG just might be what I need. The Pioneer if I can find it.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2010 at 05:41 PM »
Have you considered the Wadia iTransport and a 160gb iPod Classic? The only issue is the downtime for new discs - you have to open your laptop/pc and sync the iPod to load it first.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+668)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2010 at 08:43 AM »
This Cheaper alternative try this Pioneer Stable Platter! I tried some good DVD player but nothing beats this Player! If you are lucky you can get them less than 10K

A very good CD Player w/ a very stable platter sir you have there, HiFi Choice Best Buy in the late 90's if I'm not mistaken. An excellent partner w/ the PIONEER A-400x integrated Amp.  ;)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...