Author Topic: LG LD 460 and HDMI connection to PC ATI HD4850  (Read 2377 times)

Offline coolgrease

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LG LD 460 and HDMI connection to PC ATI HD4850
« on: Oct 06, 2010 at 03:53 PM »
Hi guys I was wondering if any of you have the same setup as me as I am currently having problems on improving the overall quality of the texts that I have on my connection. I dont even want to try connecting it to the VGA as I would like it to be connected thru HDMI thanks for your inputs.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: LG LD 460 and HDMI connection to PC ATI HD4850
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2010 at 09:05 PM »
Hi guys I was wondering if any of you have the same setup as me as I am currently having problems on improving the overall quality of the texts that I have on my connection. I dont even want to try connecting it to the VGA as I would like it to be connected thru HDMI thanks for your inputs.

Most TVs don't do direct pixel mapping, which is why they generally don't look as good as dedicated PC monitors. You can scale the image to ensure that fewer lines are cut/doubled, but that's about it.

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 10:12 AM »
Ouch I guess thats that I was hoping someone could help me at least improve the quality of the texts.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 10:59 AM »
Yes, its about pixel mapping, in order for your text to be clear in your display, your lcd should have 1:1 pixel mapping, otherwise you are limited to what you are seeing right now

Set the resolution of the graphics card to the native resolution of the panel.

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 11:26 AM »
Thats what Ive been doing but so far no joy. Ive also set my tv to Just scan but its still not doing great. I guess Ill try to tweak it more I didnt have much time with tweaking the settings. I mean my videos and even my games look okay but the desktop texts are Meh.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 12:03 PM »
ZERO (absolute minimum) mo Sharpness and/or Contrast settings.  That would improve the quality of texts a lot, but you would never reach the crispiness of a regular PC monitor.

If the texts are too small at 1920x1080, it would be more comfortable to read at 1365x768.   Malaki naman yung screen so sit farther than you would from a regular monitor.  

Get a wireless (laser) keyboard para you can sit even farther, then you wouldnt notice the shadowing on the texts that much.

Why dont you want to try VGA?  Your screen will look quite nice on it - mild and nice on the eyes.  Im not sure if you can get it up to 1920x1080 via VGA, BUT, if you play an MKV via KMP or similar software media player, you would hardly notice any difference in IQ between that of HDMI and VGA.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010 at 12:11 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 01:21 PM »
I guess I thought that I could get the texts as crisp as my 22inch lcd monitor. I havent really tried VGA but Ive read on other forums that using VGA could introduce Input lag on games thats why Im trying to avoid it. I think the TV supports 1:1 Pixel mapping at least because I got it to Just scan and reduced the underscan on CCC to 0% and it was spot on. I havent tried reducing the sharpness and contrast though.

Thanks for the input Sir Clondalkin. Ill try those settings over the weekend.

On a short note can anyone recommend any site or something that can help me calibrate the TV? Thanks.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 01:45 PM »
Kung meron kang extra PC or laptop, kabit mo that one sa VGA, tapos simultaneously, kabit mo through HDMI yung main rig mo.   Bale instead na dual monitor ay dual PC on a single monitor.  Then palit palit mo video channel between VGA and HDMI a few times.  You might see the magic I saw on my 32LG.

Otherwise, aside from minimizing sharpness, you'd done what you can with the LG's Just Scan and the ATI's zero scan via CCC.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010 at 01:46 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 02:20 PM »
Kung meron kang extra PC or laptop, kabit mo that one sa VGA, tapos simultaneously, kabit mo through HDMI yung main rig mo.   Bale instead na dual monitor ay dual PC on a single monitor.  Then palit palit mo video channel between VGA and HDMI a few times.  You might see the magic I saw on my 32LG.

Otherwise, aside from minimizing sharpness, you'd done what you can with the LG's Just Scan and the ATI's zero scan via CCC.

After nun sir pde ko na tanggalin yung sa VGA? if mangyari nga yung magic na sinasabi mo? Thanks for the tip.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 02:47 PM »
After nun sir pde ko na tanggalin yung sa VGA? if mangyari nga yung magic na sinasabi mo? Thanks for the tip.

Nope (unfortunately).  What I noticed with my 2008 LG3250, 1:1 pixel mapping is not PROPERLY triggered by either VGA or HDMI connection alone.   Just Scan rectifies the overscan/underscan issue but it does not fully deactivate all video enhancements that make the image quality "TV-quality" at the expense of text quality.  HDMI text is (overly) sharp but shadowy (ghostly), VGA text is clean but "mild" and disables Just Scan.   Somehow by putting both video connectors online, all the right circuits are triggered and that was the only way I could get sharp and shadow-free texts via HDMI - with Just Scan.  I thought that was basically an HDMI circuit design flaw but that was just the way it was.  And based on your story, it appears LG has not corrected that.

Since it's quite inconvenient to connect 2 PCs to the same monitor, I just reverted to dual monitor - regular PC monitor for regular computing, the LG for KMP.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2010 at 02:50 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2010 at 03:02 PM »
Okay then sir I guess ill just stick with my monitor for regular computing then for games and videos ill go with the TV. That would be the best setup. Thanks for the help sir or ill try and find if I can actually improve it. haha *crosses fingers*. Thanks for the replies. Ill report if I find a better setup for it.

Offline coolgrease

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2010 at 10:32 PM »
Nope (unfortunately).  What I noticed with my 2008 LG3250, 1:1 pixel mapping is not PROPERLY triggered by either VGA or HDMI connection alone.   Just Scan rectifies the overscan/underscan issue but it does not fully deactivate all video enhancements that make the image quality "TV-quality" at the expense of text quality.  HDMI text is (overly) sharp but shadowy (ghostly), VGA text is clean but "mild" and disables Just Scan.   Somehow by putting both video connectors online, all the right circuits are triggered and that was the only way I could get sharp and shadow-free texts via HDMI - with Just Scan.  I thought that was basically an HDMI circuit design flaw but that was just the way it was.  And based on your story, it appears LG has not corrected that.

Since it's quite inconvenient to connect 2 PCs to the same monitor, I just reverted to dual monitor - regular PC monitor for regular computing, the LG for KMP.

Hi sir Clondalkin. I think LG has done the 1:1 mapping I just got too demanding and wanted my texts to be as crisp as my monitor but I guess that really isnt possible. I just tried the VGA and it looks like what I had on the HDMI I mean the quality isnt bad I just wanted the text to be on par with my monitor so I guess Im satisfied with the quality on the tv. Thanks for the tips though sir.