Author Topic: Automated Audio Calibration  (Read 10041 times)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Automated Audio Calibration
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 11:47 AM »
I forgot about the subwoofer.  

I do a manual set-up for the sub.  Laging mali ang auto set-up for the sub, e.

1) Setting the correct "acoustic" distance. Some speakers (and this is very common with subwoofers) have electronics which cause a delay in the sound. A good room correction tech should detect this and compensate for it by setting a longer distance for the speaker. 

that is why in audyssey's case, it sets my sub at 16ft, more or less 2x my right fs' distance of 7.5ft

yes the bass is always the hardest to calibrate. but rule of thumb is:

settings at sub's plate amp before calibration

1. set phase to 0
2. crossover to highest setting 120hz-up
3. set sub's gain knob to 12'o clock (initially)

after the calibration, if the sub's sound level on the receiver's menu is +/- 3db, then you are good. if its outside of that range, adjust the sub's gain knob to compensate for the difference. if its -db then lower the knob (maybe 9'o clock) if its +db then add the gain (maybe 3' o clock). recalibrate until the receiver's menu for sub level is within the +/-3db range.

usually if you have calibrate it to such, many will find the bass to thin for their taste, so you now adjust the the gain of the sub on the receiver's level menu (not the sub's gain knob). personally i run my sub to +3-5db higher or they call it +3db hot.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 12:06 PM »

May silbi rin yon sir.

Puwedeng memory 1 for movies, then memory 2 for gaming when you sit up closer.  Or maybe memory 3, using a higher crossover for certain types of movies.

Pwede rin memory 1 for a single viewer,  memory 2 for 2 rows of people, memory 3 for a full room, etc. :)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2011 at 12:20 PM »
Pwede rin memory 1 for a single viewer,  memory 2 for 2 rows of people, memory 3 for a full room, etc. :)

i think this makes sense, if you are going to calibrate based on not using all the measuring spots.  :)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 07:10 PM »
I have a new 12 inch subwoofer that replaced my two Mirage Omni S8 subs. I ran Audyssey again and I got a subwoofer distance of 11 meters when in actuality it is only 3 meters away. Any thoughts why this happened, and should I stick with this setting or set it to the actual distance?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 07:31 PM »
I have a new 12 inch subwoofer that replaced my two Mirage Omni S8 subs. I ran Audyssey again and I got a subwoofer distance of 11 meters when in actuality it is only 3 meters away. Any thoughts why this happened, and should I stick with this setting or set it to the actual distance?

First thing to do is to repeat the calibration. You might have made a mistake the first time. Otherwise ...

Audyssey is measuring the acoustic distance, the time that it takes for the audio signal to reach the mic. That takes into consideration any delays caused by electronics. Bottom-line is to leave it as is.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 07:36 PM »
First thing to do is to repeat the calibration. You might have made a mistake the first time. Otherwise ...

Audyssey is measuring the acoustic distance, the time that it takes for the audio signal to reach the mic. That takes into consideration any delays caused by electronics. Bottom-line is to leave it as is.

Thanks!  :)
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2011 at 08:51 PM »
I re-ran Audyssey and this time it set my sub distance to 3.6 meters which is much closer to the actual distance.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 08:25 AM »

Pricisely. Including delays caused by room acoustics and sub design. Main reason probably why the left and right speakers will not measure the same at times.

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 10:13 AM »
that is why in audyssey's case, it sets my sub at 16ft, more or less 2x my right fs' distance of 7.5ft

yes the bass is always the hardest to calibrate. but rule of thumb is:

settings at sub's plate amp before calibration

1. set phase to 0
2. crossover to highest setting 120hz-up
3. set sub's gain knob to 12'o clock (initially)

after the calibration, if the sub's sound level on the receiver's menu is +/- 3db, then you are good. if its outside of that range, adjust the sub's gain knob to compensate for the difference. if its -db then lower the knob (maybe 9'o clock) if its +db then add the gain (maybe 3' o clock). recalibrate until the receiver's menu for sub level is within the +/-3db range.

usually if you have calibrate it to such, many will find the bass to thin for their taste, so you now adjust the the gain of the sub on the receiver's level menu (not the sub's gain knob). personally i run my sub to +3-5db higher or they call it +3db hot.

Sir, if you dont mind, could you elaborate why we have to set the crossover to maximum? I thought Audyssey will just make the necessary checking. And did not see the manual mention this.

I read in my Subs manual that if the receiver is capable of setting automatically the subs crossover, the filter should be turned off. So before running Audyssey, I turned the filter off, and the crossover was set to the lowest 40Hz(which is actually irrelevant because the filter is off). And the calibration seems right to me.

Don't get me wrong, I just want to know the reason so that I can take the time again to recalibrate if its necessary for more accurate measurements.

TIA

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
Sir, if you dont mind, could you elaborate why we have to set the crossover to maximum? I thought Audyssey will just make the necessary checking. And did not see the manual mention this.

I read in my Subs manual that if the receiver is capable of setting automatically the subs crossover, the filter should be turned off. So before running Audyssey, I turned the filter off, and the crossover was set to the lowest 40Hz(which is actually irrelevant because the filter is off). And the calibration seems right to me.

Don't get me wrong, I just want to know the reason so that I can take the time again to recalibrate if its necessary for more accurate measurements.

TIA

It's because some (usually the older models) subwoofers don't have an option to turn off the built-in crossover.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #40 on: Feb 03, 2011 at 12:46 AM »
since you had the sub xo off (best setting imho), you're right, the cutoff is irrelevent. without that option, the best cutoff is above 120hz or the maximum so it won't interfere with the 3Hz to 120Hz lfe signals.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard