Author Topic: Most Recently Viewed DVD (Part 12) AND... What did you think of it?  (Read 287287 times)

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
Re: Most Recently Viewed DVD (Part 12) AND... What did you think of it?
« Reply #1380 on: May 01, 2012 at 08:30 PM »
just finished watching a 3 movie-marathon - the A-team, 12 rounds and eagle eye.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1381 on: May 02, 2012 at 06:26 AM »
Alvin & the Chipmunks : Chipwrecked (2011) - sequels tend to be less better than the original but this movie made an exception to the rule.  The Chipmunks and their female counterparts The Chippettes went on a cruise with Dave.  Obviously with Alvin on board always something bad happens as a result of his goofing around this time being marooned on a deserted island.  There were some similar scenes from Castaway and Lost being plugged in the movie.  The first half was like a commercial of a Cruise.  The colors of the movie was so vibrant and alive that it could present as show off material to your HT display.  The Chipmunks were enjoyable with their song renditions.  My kids loved it! Highly recommended!  :D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1382 on: May 02, 2012 at 06:53 AM »
Sleeping Beauty - Lucy, a college student played by Emily Browning, gets a high paying job as a lingerie waitress.  She was then offered a job by the same employer to be a "plaything" (everything can be done except no penetration) to some old rich anonymous clients.  She will not know who her clients are as she will be sedated the whole night and she will have no recollection whatsoever. Emily Browning for the most part of the movie is naked which might give anyone a reason to watch this.  Other than that, I just find the movie sick and distasteful.  Others would see it as an art film but for me...no thanks!  :-\

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1383 on: May 02, 2012 at 05:10 PM »
Camel Spiders (2011) - Camel Spiders have been seen in Iraq during Desert Storm but this movie tended to exaggerate what these creatures are.  They are in no way related to the arachnid family but more to scorpions thus the fallacy that these creatures spin webs.  It was portrayed in the movie big the size of a cat and can jump high enough grabbing on to people's heads.  :P The effects showed how low budgeted this movie is.  It has CHEESY B-MOVIE written all over it.   ;D Didn't finish it.  :P

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2633
« Reply #1384 on: May 02, 2012 at 05:13 PM »
Camel Spiders (2011) - Camel Spiders have been seen in Iraq during Desert Storm but this movie tended to exaggerate what these creatures are.  They are in no way related to the arachnid family but more to scorpions thus the fallacy that these creatures spin webs.  It was portrayed in the movie big the size of a cat and can jump high enough grabbing on to people's heads.  :P The effects showed how low budgeted this movie is.  It has CHEESY B-MOVIE written all over it.   ;D Didn't finish it.  :P

pwede sir isama ito sa movies to avoid thread ;D
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1385 on: May 02, 2012 at 05:39 PM »
Young Adult (2011) - Mavis (Charlize Theron) was a high school prom queen who later had some disappointments in life in the big city.  She wanted to reclaim her fame and went back to her hometown Mercury and try to steal an old flame Buddy(Patrick Wilson) from his wife and newborn baby.  She then discovers that everybody grew up and have matured in life except for that one obnoxious classmate and still single Matt (Patton Oswalt).  Mavis realized that her plan is far from her expectations and she just embarasses herself in front of everybody. 

This isn't a comedy as I have expected.  Charlize wasn't appealing from the start but transforms into that femme fetale specially on the parts that she was flirting with Buddy.  This movie is a realization that we should all grow up and move on and not get stuck with yesterday.   :-\

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1386 on: May 02, 2012 at 05:40 PM »
pwede sir isama ito sa movies to avoid thread ;D

Onga.  Kasama doon sa favorite mong Two-Headed SharK;D

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1387 on: May 03, 2012 at 01:36 PM »
Onga.  Kasama doon sa favorite mong Two-Headed SharK;D

LOL ;D

jackie chan's first strike

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #1388 on: May 03, 2012 at 10:29 PM »
Sleeping Beauty - Lucy, a college student played by Emily Browning, gets a high paying job as a lingerie waitress.  She was then offered a job by the same employer to be a "plaything" (everything can be done except no penetration) to some old rich anonymous clients.  She will not know who her clients are as she will be sedated the whole night and she will have no recollection whatsoever. Emily Browning for the most part of the movie is naked which might give anyone a reason to watch this.  Other than that, I just find the movie sick and distasteful.  Others would see it as an art film but for me...no thanks!  :-\

parang gusto kong hanapin to a. ;D

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #1389 on: May 03, 2012 at 10:30 PM »
BTT: ocean's 12

and Leap Frog on neverending loop  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1390 on: May 05, 2012 at 01:48 PM »
The Divide (2011) - a group of nine strangers in a Manhattan apartment hid in a bomb shelter built by one of the residents Mickey (Michael Biehn of Terminator) when the nuclear bombs rained down.  Food rations were running out and everybody is struggling to survive in that small space driving others to psychosis, treachery and violence.  This is one movie that shows how the human being becomes inhuman and loses his morals  when he shifts himself to survival mode.  I was able to finish this movie till the end with a heavy heart.  Goes with the tradition of movies such as The Road and Buried.  Do not watch this if you are suicidal!  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012 at 07:18 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1248
« Reply #1391 on: May 05, 2012 at 06:03 PM »
Phil Collins: Finally, The First Farewell Tour

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1392 on: May 05, 2012 at 09:29 PM »
XXX
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1393 on: May 05, 2012 at 09:30 PM »
The Usual Suspect
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Slaveknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1394 on: May 06, 2012 at 07:16 AM »
Red Tails (2012)

Rating: 3 out of 5

Red tails is more of an eye candy rather than telling a good depth to its story. It has all the spectacles of all the World War 2 air crafts with over the top battle scenes that gives authenticity to its WWII details. Aficionados will appreciate, moviegoers will not. There are a lot of plot holes, flat dialogue, and decent acting. Aside from that, it's just plain Lucas' CGI.

The Good, the Bad, and the Weird (2008)

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

A very well made Korean western flick with over the top fast paced action sequences and good execution overall. It has all the eye candy with its promising cinematography but then it didn't impress me in terms of a good storytelling. Too much over the top action, too much mess.

Rampart (2012)

Rating: 3 out of 5

Rampart is based on the Rampart scandal that happened in the late 90's. Superb Woody Harrelson performance, not an interesting story. It focuses more on the protagonist's personal life with his family and own depressions. Amazing screenplay but the execution is so slow. I was thinking it should focus more on the scandal itself rather than watching the protagonist struggles on his sexual affairs. Has the hopes from the first half but then it never got to the point of satisfaction. Easily forgettable.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 at 07:18 AM by Slaveknight »
Please vote me as a Super Reviewer click here at
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/id/918195855/

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1395 on: May 06, 2012 at 07:24 AM »
Ip Man (2010)

Rating: 5 out of 5

Ip Man is simply the most epic martial arts film I had seen in a long long time. If you combine a very humane story added to the most spectacle of martial arts styles you get IP Man. Donnie Yen is just one of the best in Hong Kong cinema. He's style and charisma is perfectly fit for this role. Just don't blink, you will miss every single moment which happened to be epic in every way.

Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster (2010)

Ip Man 2 gave me a moment to celebrate like I'm watching a live fight on TV.  It is superbly epic which has the first one left off. It gives me the chills in a cinematic event that I've never felt before. Though its not as dramatic as the first Ip Man, but man how moving the story was. Yip did a tremendous job that turns Martial arts film into an epic cinema experience. Amazing performance from Donnie Yen as he is truly one of the Hong Kong's finest.

Chronicle (2012)

Even though I'm not a big found footage genre fan but this is maybe one of the coolest first person found footage flick this year. It's X-men meets Trollhunter meets Galerians the game. All I can say it has all the mind blowing CGI though I think it lacks the storytelling to its full potential. The second half starts to get me interested when Andrew has this wild depression and things just got crazy. Cool effects, good acting, a recommended action flick with no alcohol required of course.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012 at 07:25 AM by Slaveknight »

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1396 on: May 06, 2012 at 03:56 PM »
American Beauty
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1397 on: May 07, 2012 at 06:09 AM »
The Vow

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1398 on: May 07, 2012 at 10:12 PM »
Repeat viewing of Helen Hunt movies:

Castaway (2000)
Twister (1996)

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1399 on: May 09, 2012 at 12:09 AM »
Basic Instinct
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1400 on: May 09, 2012 at 12:54 AM »
The Woman in Black (2012)

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

The Woman in Black is maybe one of the best summer horror flick that could be the perfect taste for everyone. It reminds me of some Ti West trademark though in a big budget production. Daniel Radcliffe is simply natural here proven he is still one of the best at his prime. Good story, good cinematography, and a nice combination of shocking thrills and good execution of angles. A nice summer flick recommended to all who loves ghost horror flicks.

Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Chow's Kung Fu Hustle is a definition of the most cartoonish martial arts flick that you can get. It has all the most over the top cinematography combine with the 18th century style Chinese mafia wars added with the most spectacles of martial arts. Though I find some scenes are way too over the top that made it kinda cheesy in terms of its execution. But then this is a Chow trademark that leaves any 12 year old kids blew away with its style.

City of Life and Death (2010)

I find this one difficult to watch even further especially when its subject is all about WW II holocaust with all the drama of pain and struggles. But how amazing the cinematography was. Again, a tremendous black and white presentation. Just another superb job offered by Chuan Lu. Lu made us feel the struggles of the people from the ruins of China under the Japanese invasion. Anger and pain is the feeling leaving this film unfinished.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1401 on: May 09, 2012 at 09:54 PM »
Cruel Intention
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1402 on: May 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM »
Coriolanus (2011)

Coriolanus is definitely one of those "not easy to watch" films. It is a Shakespeare adaptation that has a setting in a post war modern era. As expected, the screenplay is as difficult to understand for standard viewers. But just to watch Vanessa Redgrave and Ralph Fiennes performances are highly noted. Other than that, it has a curse of the novel's expected boredom throughout. Not really a recommended film for everybody who are expecting for a good plot and a good execution though the acting are just phenomenal to watch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM by Slaveknight »

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1403 on: May 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM »
Hitman
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1404 on: May 11, 2012 at 03:15 PM »
Enchanted
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Slaveknight

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM »
Born To Be Wild (2011)

Born to be wild is simply a dazzling thing to watch. Especially if the video transfer is a well worth watching in IMAX and Blu-ray. It was heartily felt of love for these animals who are worth and ready to be born to be wild. An amazing cinematic documentary experience.

Under the Sea 3D (2009)

Under the Sea is just another impressive entry of documentary in IMAX 3D. The colors of the underworld ocean of the Pacific really enhances our ocean imagination to the next level. This is a must watch for every family even in Blu-Ray. I would definitely buy one.

Thor (2011)

What's the good thing about Thor is its storytelling. It's too good to be a Marvel film. The execution is awesome, every scene, every screen play is genius. Branagh is just the perfect boss to run Thor in its essence. From the kingdom of Asgard, to its beautiful scenes, and the simple and sweet romance as Thor from the god of thunder down in his mortal presence. Just totally nailed it. Good thing to have Marvel in its constant state of making brilliant superhero films and maybe, this one is the best nor the most memorable.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1406 on: May 16, 2012 at 08:18 AM »
Never Back Down

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1407 on: May 17, 2012 at 06:09 AM »
Unknown

Online anya618

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1408 on: May 18, 2012 at 07:45 AM »
red tails

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1409 on: May 18, 2012 at 07:37 PM »
Resident Evil Extinction - IMO still the best Resident Evil movie to date. Sensible story, great action, above average special effects. Desert setting is unique and has a mad max vibe. It's also important to point out that it is not directed by Paul Anderson. Here's hoping the next movie is as good as this one :)