Author Topic: Any negative feedback on Panasonic 42U20  (Read 3095 times)

Offline silverknight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Any negative feedback on Panasonic 42U20
« on: Mar 07, 2011 at 09:49 AM »
I'm really worried about backlight bleeding issues of LG led/ccfl models (LE5500/LD460). I don't know much about this Panasonic Viera 42U20. Any feedback would help me decide whether to get this model or any other 42" brand out there in the market. Thanks.

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Any negative feedback on Panasonic 42U20
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 11:39 AM »
MUKHA YATANG WALANG INTERESADO SA MODEL NA ITO. i DONT EVEN SEE ANY REVIEWS AND FEEDBACKS REGARDING THIS PANASONIC MODEL. PANGIT NA MODEL BA ITO??? OR ANG FOCUS AND TREND NGAYON IS MGA LED AND PLASMA TV'S???

I SAW THIS AT LISTENING IN STYLE SIDE BY SIDE WITH AN LG 37LD460 LAST THURSDAY. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS PANASONIC PRODUCES BETTER PICTURE DETAIL (SHARPNESS & BLACKS). WALA LANG ITONG USB PORT.

FEEDBACK NAMAN DYAN PLEASE MGA OWNERS NG 42U20. SALAMAT.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011 at 03:10 PM »
A little research will go a long way:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,129016.0.html

No need to post in all caps.

The U20 LCD was not a unit I did an extensive review for, but it's quite good compared to most LCD models out there.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011 at 03:33 AM »
MUKHA YATANG WALANG INTERESADO SA MODEL NA ITO. i DONT EVEN SEE ANY REVIEWS AND FEEDBACKS REGARDING THIS PANASONIC MODEL. PANGIT NA MODEL BA ITO??? OR ANG FOCUS AND TREND NGAYON IS MGA LED AND PLASMA TV'S???

I SAW THIS AT LISTENING IN STYLE SIDE BY SIDE WITH AN LG 37LD460 LAST THURSDAY. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THIS PANASONIC PRODUCES BETTER PICTURE DETAIL (SHARPNESS & BLACKS). WALA LANG ITONG USB PORT.

FEEDBACK NAMAN DYAN PLEASE MGA OWNERS NG 42U20. SALAMAT.

I purchased this exact model last Year. So far i'm very satisfied with it. Pinagpilian ko was this, Lg 42 incher, Sammy 40 Incher, Toshiba 42 incher. May nakasabay pa akong nag audition nang mga units and we both ended up buying the same unit..

Been using this for 3 months and so far no problem and no backlight bleeding issue. PQ is superb, Blacks is superb....

Only thing is konti ang features nya compared sa ibang brand... But kung di importante sayo ang features na yun then this is a good buy..lalo na ngayon ang laki nang binaba nang price nya from S&S...
Walang Setup

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2011 at 07:42 AM »
Last night at SnS, I saw this 42U20 now side by side with an LG 42LE5500. After watching several action scenes of Spiderman, was disappointed with color & PQ of LG. It produces a somewhat pale black color and the true-motion was not really that impressive. Both Panasonic and LG settings at Dynamic/Vivid (default).
'
I still prefer the Motion Focus Technology, color and overall PQ of the 42U20 anytime. I know a lot will react on this but check it out and see it for yourself.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM »
Bought a 42U20 last Thursday and I must say I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Very good PQ indeed...recommended model!!!
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2011 at 11:17 AM »
Bought this model also last March 10. PQ is impressive although color (RED) is not 100% accurate. Picture detail/sharpness is better than most LCD panels. Impressive Black color reproduction. Very good viewing angle. NO backlight bleeding/dead pixel so far. Watching Sky cable is not as good as my Samsung Series 6 40C650. Took me 8 months to decide to get this model over 42X20V.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM »
Agree with the reds on this model...but a couple of tweaks and I'm fine with it now. Congrats on the purchase brosilverknight...

Cheers!
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 603
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 02:35 PM »
The blacks are indeed nice for a budget screen. I have this unit too. :) It actually has much better blacks than my C10 and S10 plasmas after the black level rose on those two units. :( I think the price-comparable Toshibas deliver better blacks, though.

Color is okay; nothing spectacular (for me). Cosmetics is sub-par for the LCD market, but I don't care much for this.

Here are the things I like about this TV:
1. Non-reflective matte screen (no visible glare)
2. Wide viewing angle (in all directions)
3. Even backlight (no noticeable hot spots)
4. Good black level (as far as budget panels go)
5. Flicker-free output (I know all LCDs are)
6. Low power consumption (confirmed by kill-a-watt)
7. Cool-running (good ventilation)
8. Low selling price (I'm a cheapskate)

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 03:26 PM »
I would have bought the Toshiba RV700 if only it has a 42" panel. No regrets though.  I watch cable at 14:9 aspect ratio on this Panasonic model. Sound is acceptable compared to my Samsung.

Offline mindsport

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 05:16 PM »
@silverknight

why not the 42AV700?

Right now, I'm choosing between the 42AV700 and 42U20 and I can't decide.

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2011 at 06:55 PM »
@silverknight

why not the 42AV700?

Right now, I'm choosing between the 42AV700 and 42U20 and I can't decide.

Sir, it's a Toshiba 40AV700 and not a 42". Panasonic is 42".
Your question is a tough one but I guess you better have a side by side comparison of the Panasonic and this Toshiba model.  Both TV is Full HD, I haven't tested and seen the Toshiba on cable yet. My Samsung seems to be better than my Panasonic in cable viewing. Maybe because my Samsung is a 40 incher.......but it may also be that the cable going to my Panasonic is too long from the cable box.

Make sure to see it side by side before buying. Check all the connections you will be needing in your future use. Try visiting Sights and Sounds/Listening N Style at Shangrila Mall (EDSA). I'm sure they will help you with all your questions. Good luck.

Offline mindsport

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM »
@silverknight

Right, 40AV700 my mistake hehe yeah, no other way to decide but to see them side by side. i'll probably do that over the weekend.

Btw, i saw you had another thread about the L37X20. How does this compare with the 42U20? If the picture quality is nearly the same, I wouldn't mind the smaller screen and 720p only (and it's cheaper price hehe).

Offline silverknight

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM »
@silverknight

Right, 40AV700 my mistake hehe yeah, no other way to decide but to see them side by side. i'll probably do that over the weekend.

Btw, i saw you had another thread about the L37X20. How does this compare with the 42U20? If the picture quality is nearly the same, I wouldn't mind the smaller screen and 720p only (and it's cheaper price hehe).

37X20 is a very good TV but is only HD ready, saw this side by side an LG 37LD460  Full HD. You can clearly see the difference in PQ and detail. LG460 is better but has issues of backlight bleeding. 37X20 produces better blacks though.

If not only for that backlight bleeding issue, I would have settled for the LG.