Author Topic: inFocus X1  (Read 18242 times)

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
inFocus X1
« on: May 28, 2003 at 11:55 AM »
Anyone know wher can I get this beastie?

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:inFocus X1
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003 at 06:27 PM »
Suggest you call Sonny T at The Home Theater.
Do tell us what you think if you demo it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003 at 06:28 PM by slowhand »

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003 at 06:39 PM »
Thanks I'll keep him in mind. I've read on various sites that inFocus is offering the X1 for $999 (with $100 rebate) sana ganun rin dito...

If that projector was sold her for that amount I'd probably wouldn't have gotten my TV. :)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003 at 11:13 PM »
American Technologies Inc ( ATI) is the local agent for infocus , and they have been advertizing this model in papers . I got a quick demo done for me at the office , just give them a call and they will show you the x1.

Sorry but I don't have their number now as it is in the office .

I also saw the $999 deal at bestbuy - $100 rebate... but working out the order thru e2door for example brings the price close to the local price.

If someone will bring it home for you I guess it's a very good deal.. too bad I bought a sanyo last year already...

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003 at 07:08 AM »
i have the X1 and its really great, very good at its price pa and now they've lowered the price yet again (now that $ucks heheh for me at least)

before i got my unit last feb, ive contacted ATI first and see if they'll be getting stocks in time for the Asian release, of course they have stock but they told me it will retail for about 170K, now i think thats too much...i just dont know how much they're selling it right now

the rebate is good only til the end of may, and valid for US and canada customers only

btw,  will ATI honor your warranty if your X1 was bought abroad?

goodluck on your x1 hunt

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003 at 05:14 PM »
170K is just too much , anyway the quote is about half that amount...

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003 at 05:58 AM »
170K is just too much , anyway the quote is about half that amount...

hmmm like 80K - 90K? or 70K-80K?

that's a pretty good price

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003 at 09:33 PM »
85K w/out Vat as we are vat exempt where I work. 2 yrs warranty on-site  w/ service unit in case you cannot afford to be w/out one and preventive maintenance service all inclusive.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003 at 01:35 AM »
85K... hmmm that's still double what they're offering in the US but still... it's cheaper than most things I've seen and it's a DLP!

Offline Alamat

• Collector
  • ETONG IYO!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2003 at 08:16 AM »
Magpabili ka na alng dito para makatipid ka. Tutal hindi naman kalakihan 'yon at puedeng carry-on...or as we pinoy call it, "hand carry".
Ang ganda nga ng mga reviews nyan eh. Kung meron alng akong puwesto rito, "humiram" na sana ako.  ;D

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2003 at 01:35 PM »
Front

Back

Specs:

* New InFocus interface — intuitive keypads, remote controls, and user-friendly menus
    * 1100 max ANSI lumens — fill any size screen or wall, at the office or at home
    * Color-coded connections — plug into matching color-coded ports
    * Just 6.8 lbs/ 3.1kg — take it home or on the road
    * Powerful zoom lens — images fit the screen perfectly from wherever the projector is located
    * Native SVGA (800 x 600) resolution — with scanning capability up to XGA resolution
    * Outstanding digital video with Faroudja™ DCDi™ processing — uncompromised video playback
    * HDTV compatible
    * 37 dB
    * 3000-hour lamp life

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2003 at 01:36 PM by DViant »

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2003 at 10:55 PM »
btw it "only support" progressive scan using the VGA connection, so if you're prog scan dvd player outputs in components (most do), you need to get the component-to-VGA breakout cable which happens to be out of stock at infocus and quite difficult to find..you maybe better off making it yourself

and the VGA doesnt accept 480i, it accepts 480p, 525p, 720p and 1080i BUT NOT 480i

likewise, the 6-pin mini DIN accept 480i ONLY, no 480p even if u connect a progessive DVD player using the component to s-video breakout cable

but i must say, its a very good pj, and the faroudja deinterlacer is very very good   :)

cheers

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 12:19 AM »
I got it! ;D Bought it at Best Buy!

joey: The freaking thing's light, quiet & fast! :)

Now to buy the screen.

Offline bigbird2323

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 03:14 AM »
how were you able to get it and how much?

Offline MS

• Apprentice
  • CHRONIC the ESTAFADOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 04:34 AM »
Galing naman! Post ka naman ng PICS! 8)
CHRONIC: Tirador ng XBOX

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 02:39 PM »
how were you able to get it and how much?
Asked a relative to buy it for me from a brick & mortar store. He was able to get it for $999.00
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 02:42 PM by DViant »

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 02:47 PM »
i have a a relatively small room with viewing distance of about 9 feet from the wall.is it possible for the x1 to operate at this distance and if so,whats the largest ideal screen size for this.tnx

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 02:52 PM »
reall which shop did you get this from ? where in the US ?

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 03:40 PM »
Best Buy in Las Vegas, Nevada. I'm trying to see if I can still get my $100 rebate & extend my warranty to 5 years.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 03:41 PM by DViant »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 04:52 PM »
So US$ 999 is after US$ 100 rebate? What is the total cost including taxes and shipping for you?

Appreciate all the help ! ;-)

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2003 at 07:41 PM »
So US$ 999 is after US$ 100 rebate? What is the total cost including taxes and shipping for you?

Appreciate all the help ! ;-)
US$999 before rebate or taxes. It was handcarried from the US to the Philippines. The most "taxes" paid in NAIA3's Customs is a $10 bill in the passport. ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2003 at 07:55 PM by DViant »

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 01:10 PM »
Hi deviant,can you post your personal review on this especially its dvd performance.do you think this is the best budget projector for dvd playing,if i dont intend to use it for presentations or are there others at this price range?.Is the projection calculator at projector central accurate?,with the viewing distance of only 9 feet,it says the max picture size is only 3.6(h) x 4.8(w) feet only.is there a way around this?what will happen if i want a at least 6 feet wide with the same viewing distance.tnx

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2003 at 04:06 PM »
The only review I can make is that of the UI and not the picture quality as I do not have a projector screen to test it on yet. I've been projecting onto a redish wall and that would throw off the results. The only other projector in that price range I could think of is the Sanyo Z1 but I personally do not like LCD technology & how the projector looks. I've tried playing LotR: FotR Extended on it and the anamorphic widescreen works in 16:9 mode.

BTW you want your projected image to be 6 ft wide or diagonal?

As for resolution it can go beyond the spec'd native 800x600 though don't expect to be able to easily read fonts smaller than 12.

If this projector were available a year ago I wouldn't have bought my TV. Would have bought this instead and match it with a Dream TV system.

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2003 at 02:37 PM »
i'd say this infocus X1 fp is one heck of a projector, ive had mine for four months now and i can say that im very impressed with the picture quality it delivers, unfortunately, there are two things that i didnt like with this pj, first is rainbows, its not as bad as most people "claims" it to be but its quite annoying since its really there, once you get a similar performing pj without the rainbows, you might never want to look at the X1 again, but then not all people see rainbows; next is that progressive mode is only accepted using vga mode and this mode doesnt accept 480i, and while i use my xbox on this pj, the xbox dash is always set to 480i, which means no display when the xbox is at the dash, picture only comes once a progressive signal is detected (ie. a progressive capable game)

that's the reason why i got myself a PLV-Z1, man this pj is also great, while its generally true that dlp has better blacks than LCD, between this two, id say the Z1 has better blacks than the X1, though the X1 seems to be brighter (probably because its also targeted as a presentation pj, unlike the Z1 which is designed mainly for HT), but after calibration, they seem to have the same amount of brightness and level of blacks, though the Z1 have a little advantage with shadow details, the biggest advantae of X1 is its faroudja processor, wow, it can really make an ordinary TV feed looks like DVD, well almost :-)......the Z1 didnt do bad either but the X1 just wins hands down on this area

the X1 can accept 1024x768 (max) resolution from PC but it wont display it 1:1, it will scale it down to 800x600 since that's the max resolution it can display

@bigbird: unfortunately, the widest you can get on that distance is 5feet wide (+ -), im not entirely sure but i think there's a short throw lens that can be fitted with the X1 so that u can get bigger picture for short distance throws

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2003 at 05:57 PM »

kimera: can the x1 handle outdoor presentations? (let's say pag-gabi siya??) Thanks!!

I want the X1 too!

here are some screen shots.... X1 in action.
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/VisitorGallery.html

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 01:47 AM »
hi kimera,where are did you buy your x1.do you know much is it going for here in the manila.I already bent on getting this pj but i want to buy it abroad because its much cheaper.my only problem is i dont know anyone who can buy it for me.

don, if you know of a way of bringing the x1 here .please let me know,baka pwedeng makisabay.

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
kimera,

I've read somewhere that by using a  62mm polarizer camera filter, the rainbows will be reduced. Have you tried it?

bigbird2323, no problem, I'll let you know.

;D don

Offline bigbird2323

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 10:19 PM »
I went to shangrila this afternoon.sight and sounds is selling it the infocus x1 for 86k and the store in front(i forgot the name) is selling it for 95k.laki ng price difference if you buy in in the states.will somebody please help me find a way to bring it here. :'(

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 12:07 PM »
@don: i havent tried using the X1 (or the Z1) outdoors, but as long as the lighting is very very minimal, you still might be able to get a good projection, this holds true for most FP systems, not just limited to the X1 and Z1....also, an ND filter might help to reduce rainbows, remember rainbows is subjective, it might be an issue for me but not for you, as long as you're not bothered by rainbows, the X1 (or DLPs) might be for you

@bigbird: im based here in the United Kingdom and i got my X1 from an online retailer here, so i guess i cant help you with that, anyway, try contacting ATI Phils., they're the authorized distributor of Infocus products there in the phils....good luck

btw, ive got some screenshots of my Sanyo PLV-Z1 on the first time i fired it up, if u guys are interested you can view the screenshots at www.pbase.com/xsara

the screenshots (X1/Z1 and HT pics) will be posted soon as soon as i finished my personal website

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 01:10 PM »
The lowest ATI offered the X1 is 83T. If you got relatives in the US ask em to buy it for you and have it shipped here by balikbayan box.