Author Topic: audiophile starters' kit.. help needed  (Read 1992 times)

Offline crenshaw

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
audiophile starters' kit.. help needed
« on: Mar 04, 2011 at 11:46 AM »
pdvd fam...need your help..
im planning to setup an audio section in my living room 18sqm (condo)

budget is quite small 20=25k only.

my planned sources would be my laptop to play flac files and my ipod. I listen to a wide range of music.. from hiphop to redhotchilipeppers to joss stone/corrine bailey rae to some jamie cullm and michael buble.

think ill be looking for good enough gears (the best my small money can buy ;D) to hear flea's bass playing (not SPL boom/bayo type, pero marinig lang yung lutong ng bassline) and drown in quality singing voices... secondary lang ang pop (just so my daughter can dance to it).

hope i can count on everyone's input, expertise and experience... i know the number one suggestion is to audition but im quite a newbie and feel too embarassed to approach gear retailers here in the metro...i really would appreciate

im not necessarily looking towards the brand new route, if id be directed towards some quality used gears - that would be hella fine.

TIA..i know can always count on PDVD

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: audiophile starters' kit.. help needed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:11 PM »
pdvd fam...need your help..
im planning to setup an audio section in my living room 18sqm (condo)

budget is quite small 20=25k only.

my planned sources would be my laptop to play flac files and my ipod. I listen to a wide range of music.. from hiphop to redhotchilipeppers to joss stone/corrine bailey rae to some jamie cullm and michael buble.

think ill be looking for good enough gears (the best my small money can buy ;D) to hear flea's bass playing (not SPL boom/bayo type, pero marinig lang yung lutong ng bassline) and drown in quality singing voices... secondary lang ang pop (just so my daughter can dance to it).

hope i can count on everyone's input, expertise and experience... i know the number one suggestion is to audition but im quite a newbie and feel too embarassed to approach gear retailers here in the metro...i really would appreciate

im not necessarily looking towards the brand new route, if id be directed towards some quality used gears - that would be hella fine.

TIA..i know can always count on PDVD

if you are after branded, then polk or wharfedale bookshelves can be auditioned. as for amps. you may want to look at pre-loved in our marketplace.

but if you want to try our homegrown pdvd member's products:

a audio speakers (lotsa series, try to research nalang)
jdlabs baby g ss gainclone amp or
jdlabs hybrid integrated amp (more expensive, but you will have a tube pre-amp + ss amp into one)

then for your digital audio files to sound better, get a supro pro dac. it wont disappoint. i also use one for my flac music collection.

btw, i use an a audio proac sc1 clone + jdlabs hybrid integrated + the super pro as a dac.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,79172.2010.html
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:57 PM by iiinas »

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:19 PM »
Welcome to the habit, bro!

To get started, you will need a good amp, DAC and speakers, and below are my humble starter kit recommendations (there are some in our pre-owned section):

1. Amplifier - if you're just into 2-channel stereo (Hi-Fi), an integrated amp will be best, if you're planning to expand into HT, any good AVR (audio-video receivers) that has reputation for both Hi-Fi and HT (e.g.,  Yamaha, Denon, Marantz)

* NAD- any, from the 320BEE series up (the newer ones employ the latest innovations, plus assures you that no parts will conk out yet); I started with this, and this got me hooked into Hi-Fi (very good stereo imaging, strong bass - important for beginners and the type of music the young like you listen to, and overall music reproduction), compatibility across wide range of speakers (i.e., able to drive most, given NAD's legendary power topography).

2. DAC

* There is an incredibly cheap USB DAC (sold by FrancisD)  which you can get started with, to the higher end Cambridge DAC Magic (if you get your amp cheap and can afford to splurge on your DAC)

* Cambridge DAC Magic - clean and analytical (some will consider it "clinical") - you won't need this if you opt for the AVR route, most of which have direct optical input to a built-in DAC

3. Speakers (and how I would rank them in terms of price-to-sound value): Mission, Anthony' A-Audio, Paradigm Atom, Monitor Audio Bronze (Br1 to the new BX1).

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:33 PM by richardcruz »

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
diy = if you plan to keep it for a long while. or get it real cheap as you possibly could if you plan to upgrade still
branded = if you see yourself selling your stuff in a few weeks or months time; more eyecandy in the marketplace

25k is more than enough for your purpose

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 12:38 PM »

<snip>

hope i can count on everyone's input, expertise and experience... i know the number one suggestion is to audition but im quite a newbie and feel too embarassed to approach gear retailers here in the metro...i really would appreciate.

<snip>

don't feel embarrassed to audition. most dealers who specialize in audio gear are accommodating. best is still to audition. remember, different people have different tastes. besides, 20k is a lot of money.
peace man!

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 01:16 PM »
Check out the used marketplace. :)

If you want to buy new, I think Kemozavi can supply you with a Dayton DAC and a DTA-100A amp. You'd still have enough money for decent bookshelf speaks. :)

Offline crenshaw

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
thanks ya'll for the quick responses.

I can see that the order of priority would be amp-dac-speaker route...

-amp-wise NAD seems to be the dependable choice, and read-up on the DTA-100A as well.
-DAC - cambridge
-Speakers - dunno yet -- prolly go MA bronzes (Br1orbx?) or saw in the marketplace Paradigm atomv6 and b&w 601s3. watcha think?

If I do visit our PDVD-certified AVSHOPS where can I test the following brands? hope to find time this weekend...

if there are any more suggestions, Id love to hear them out.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2011 at 08:50 PM by crenshaw »

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 09:51 AM »
Hi, if your going to listen to FLAC/ MP3 from your computer, you really need a good DAC. I suggest that you consider the MAVRICK DAC:

details on the website: http://www.mav-audio.com/

Its less then P15,000 and comes with an upgraded tube.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 09:57 AM »
this cheap dac's good enough for me. sakto sa budget-entry-level setup ko  ;D
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,127082.0.html
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2011 at 09:58 AM by ojofool »

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 11:09 AM »
this cheap dac's good enough for me. sakto sa budget-entry-level setup ko  ;D
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,127082.0.html

pwede na ba sir? super pro kasi i think is nasa 5.5k range.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline FrancisD

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
Hi:

Based on experience, you have an excellent budget. With your budget, you can go tubes or solid state for your amp - I think this is the first step.

After, your speakers choices will be limited by tubes. For solid state - check out the used section of Market place or if brand new, check out T-amplifiers - if you like the sound you're in luck - these are bang for the buck winners.

Most important of all - check out the speakers. Audition, audition, audition...Buy the best you can afford - everything else is upgradeable. The speakers reproduce the end of all your efforts from the source to the amplifiers. Your system cannot sound better than your speakers :)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 02:28 PM »
pwede na ba sir? super pro kasi i think is nasa 5.5k range.

yes happy na ako sa francis.dac! ;D

Offline plapoy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 02:48 PM »
Check out the used marketplace. :)

If you want to buy new, I think Kemozavi can supply you with a Dayton DAC and a DTA-100A amp. You'd still have enough money for decent bookshelf speaks. :)

+1 :D

Offline crenshaw

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 04:39 PM »
@FrancisD youre right. Must take the speaker hunting with much thought into it. Btw  I'm also interested in your USB-dac. Read some excellent reviews, will surely get one for my mobile audio project. To pair with the ath-m50 hehe pero Mangarap muna ako. Hinay hinay baka mabigla si misis.  :D   

Offline richardcruz

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2011 at 11:10 PM »

-amp-wise NAD seems to be the dependable choice, and read-up on the DTA-100A as well.
-DAC - cambridge
-Speakers - dunno yet -- prolly go MA bronzes (Br1orbx?) or saw in the marketplace Paradigm atomv6 and b&w 601s3. watcha think?

if there are any more suggestions, Id love to hear them out.

Amp - strongly recommend you go solid state to get the best price-to-power value (so as not to constrain your choice of speakers), in my experience, NAD and Rotel (more refined than NAD but a bit more expensive, lucky if you get preowned unit) fit the bill
DAC - FrancisD's gear is your best alternative to Cambridge DAC Magic
Speakers - B&W of course, if you can find one preowned and your budget can afford then MA BR1 (good enough, the performance upgrade to BX1 is minimal, some even prefer the old Br1), then  Paradigm Atom - again on a price-to sound value
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2011 at 11:15 PM by richardcruz »