Author Topic: CDRKING BLU-RAY  (Read 137416 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: CDRKING BLU-RAY
« Reply #150 on: Apr 09, 2011 at 07:55 PM »
Did you notice the 4-digit LED display?  :D

Hmm...am I missing something here? ;D It looks normal & similar to CDRK BDp.... :)

Forgot to mention a trivial detail:
Usually a typical DVDp or BDp can fast forward a movie during playback up to 16X or 32X but the CDRK BDp can fast forward up to a max 128X... ;D

....that's really fast!  :o
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011 at 08:02 PM by pchin »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Apr 09, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
Hmm...am I missing something here? ;D It looks normal & similar to CDRK BDp.... :)

:D  That's what I meant.  Same chassis, air vents, printed logos, right down to the 4-digit display.  ;)

But the logos on the bottom were moved a bit to the right to make room for the CD-R KING logo.

Forgot to mention a trivial detail:
Usually a typical DVDp or BDp can fast forward a movie during playback up to 16X or 32X but the CDRK BDp can fast forward up to a max 128X... ;D

....that's really fast!  :o

Wow, that's much faster than the branded ones.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2011 at 08:42 PM by barrister »

Offline lcd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Apr 09, 2011 at 09:03 PM »
model # are also the same  ;D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #153 on: Apr 09, 2011 at 11:34 PM »
Got one unit this afternoon. I popped in my Inception BD and did note it played flawlessly on the one part where it skips on the Samsung player.

However... bad news first...

I can't pause! And when I do press "pause", not only does it keep playing, the video and audio experiences a lag that gets increasingly worse. And it hiccuped on one of the problem points experienced with the Samsung (Arthur teaches Ariadne about the Penrose steps/stairs).

Good news...

If you press stop and resume the movie, the lag goes away. And the hiccup was just a slight one, hardly noticeable. Just don't pause anywhere and watch the whole movie uninterrupted.

I'm beginning to think that the problem itself isn't with the players, it's a combination of that and a badly mastered Inception BD.

Next I played my The Dark Knight and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World BDs. Flawless operation, no problems or hiccups. Interesting to note, the green button at the bottom of the remote is for the bookmark function. Wala lang.

Napa-upgrade ako bigla!  ;D  This player is really value for money. I'll be stress-testing this over the week along with you guys. Sabi ni CDRKing covered ng 7-day return policy nila, tignan natin kung ano talaga kaya nito.

A few questions, though, since I'm a Blu-Ray newbie:

1. Does changing the value of the Display's Deep Color from 24 Bit to higher make any difference?

and

2. How big a USB storage do I need for the BD Live to work?

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Apr 09, 2011 at 11:38 PM »

Manufacturer is Shenzhen Sea Star Technology Co., Ltd.:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Blu-ray-player/p/bg/1030043239.htm

Looks very similar.

Nice. Even the specs listed on the page are almost exactly the same. I wonder how we can get firmware updates from them.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM »

I can't pause! And when I do press "pause", not only does it keep playing, the video and audio experiences a lag that gets increasingly worse. And it hiccuped on one of the problem points experienced with the Samsung (Arthur teaches Ariadne about the Penrose steps/stairs).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Too bad about the pause glitch.  But I'm not convinced about the hiccup.  Maybe there's something wrong with your disc.  Maybe you can post the time stamp on the Inception disc so the other CDRK owners can test it.

1. Does changing the value of the Display's Deep Color from 24 Bit to higher make any difference?

No.

If your display has Deep Color, it means that the xvYCC color space is supported.  It's a new standard published by the IEC in 2006, a color space that supports a gamut twice as large as that of the sRGB color space, allowing the creation of deeper colors/hues.  A mechanism for carrying the gamut boundary definition for xvYCC was defined in the HDMI 1.3 spec.

But that's the hardware, not the video content.  

Blu ray and HD-DVD specs support only up to 24-bit True Color.  They do not support Deep Color and/or xvYCC (30-bit or higher).

Since there's no home video format that uses it, then the display's Deep Color compatibility is useless at this time.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM »

and

2. How big a USB storage do I need for the BD Live to work?

Hi Dan, Firstly, congrat on your new BDp, welcome to the Blu club! ;) I will try out the "Pause" if my player will have the same issue. :)

For the USB, I'm using 8GB but I guess any storage 1GB & above is fine but of cos if you plan to download lots of contents then the bigger the better. :)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

Too bad about the pause glitch.  But I'm not convinced about the hiccup.  Maybe there's something wrong with your disc.  Maybe you can post the time stamp on the Inception disc so the other CDRK owners can test it.

I'm leaning towards there's something wrong with the disc. We have 2 Inception BDs, both have the exact same issues on the samsung at the exact same spots. I'll post the time stamp later if it happens again.

Another thing. Does the resume function work? sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Oddly enough, it works on the Inception BD, but on The Dark Knight and Scott Pilgrim, it doesn't. It's all I ever tested up to the wee hours this morning. I press stop once then play again and it goes all the way to the beginning of the disc. There's no option for it in the settings. I've tried bookmarking which seems to work.

By the way, I haven't tested this with my DVDs yet, which are a whole other thing altogether.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 10:27 AM »
Hi Dan, Firstly, congrat on your new BDp, welcome to the Blu club! ;) I will try out the "Pause" if my player will have the same issue. :)

For the USB, I'm using 8GB but I guess any storage 1GB & above is fine but of cos if you plan to download lots of contents then the bigger the better. :)

Thanks, pchin! I have a good internet connection but I've turned off BD-Live because it's too damned long. And its offerings aren't even interesting. Even then, I think I'll just get a cheapo 8gig  USB just in case.

Offline Blu-devil

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Bible, The Worlds Most Famous Work of Fiction
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #159 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM »
I am supremely confident that there is a multi region Blu-ray hack available for this machine. Just a matter of finding the bugger.
Denon AVR-4400H: Denon PMA520AE: DMP-UB400: Epson EH-TW9400: Jamo 7.1.4 Atmos Speakers: 135” screen

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM »
Sir Dan ---- unfortunately, I don't have a BD of Inception.  My copy is AVCHD  :(

I'm leaning towards there's something wrong with the disc. We have 2 Inception BDs, both have the exact same issues on the samsung at the exact same spots. I'll post the time stamp later if it happens again.

It will happen again.

I did some googling for you, and it turns out that Inception is a problematic disc.  Skipping, freezing and audio drop-outs/sync issues have been reported.  The speculation is that it's the Extraction Mode branching that's causing playback issues.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/board/nest/175120537

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/306692/inception-blu-ray-skips

It plays fine on PS3 and Panasonic.  

But Samsung and LG have problems with it, and firmware updates don't solve it.  We can now add CD-R King to that list.

Another thing. Does the resume function work? sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Oddly enough, it works on the Inception BD, but on The Dark Knight and Scott Pilgrim, it doesn't. It's all I ever tested up to the wee hours this morning. I press stop once then play again and it goes all the way to the beginning of the disc. There's no option for it in the settings. I've tried bookmarking which seems to work.

That's the Java authoring.  

If the disc is not Java-enabled, the player can easily stop and resume.

But if the disc is Java-enabled (BD-J), the disc will be controlled by the Java software and not by the player, unless the Java authoring allows some player functions to work.

Resume is difficult to implement on BD-J titles because stopping the disc also stops the Java.  When you press play again, the Java reloads and takes you back to the starting point.

You'll know when the disc is a BD-J if you see a small animated icon on the center of the screen during start-up while the disc is loading.  The animated icon indicates that the Java software is currently loading on the player.

Bookmarking is Java's solution to its inability to resume.  But of course, it's still not the same as a simple stop and resume function.  Many users complained about it and wondered why such a simple feature can be done on all DVDs, yet can't be done on the supposedly high-tech BD-J.

The latest Java solution is the one that cues the last scene when you press "stop".  When the disc is played again, the Java reloads, then goes to the cued scene.  But it still takes a long time because you'll still have to wait for the Java to reload.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 07:18 AM by barrister »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
« Reply #161 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 02:59 PM »
Congrats Sir Dan on your purchase. Nice observation on the green button. I will use that na hehe.. Ya bookmark really helps on blu-ray bec. most don't have resume afaik.

Offline BusyChild

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 07:23 PM »
ikaw na!!cdr king bluray!!! andabest ;D

Hahaha.... You are the one! Ikaw nga!  ;D
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline Prometheus75

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 07:29 PM »
After much hewing and hawing (translation: revisiting this post every day for updates from our brave volunteer testers ;D), I finally mustered the courage to get myself this much ballyhooed BD player from the cd-r king outlet in Trinoma this past afternoon. Oh, and my PS3 YLOD'd on me a week or two ago, so I really needed a player in my room :-[

Anyway, I brought a couple of Region A titles (Avatar, The Thing) with me for in-store testing; they took awhile to get started (a little under a minute) but then again so do they on my then-working PS3 and our Samsung BDP in the living room, so no problem there. After DVD playback on my copies of Saving Private Ryan (R1) and Jaws (R3) went without a hitch as well, I finally relented and coughed out the P3,990.

Will be posting pics and impressions as I torture test this little baby before the end of the 7-day return period - starting tonight, with Inglorious Basterds and, time allowing, The Day After Tomorrow ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011 at 07:31 PM by Prometheus75 »
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #164 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 09:14 PM »
Oh, and my PS3 YLOD'd on me a week or two ago, so I really needed a player in my room :-[

OT:

If you have the time, I suggest you get a heat gun and read the articles (or watch the videos) of how to fix YLOD's and fix it yourself.

Trust me, it's too easy to do to pass on to somebody else and pay them the money to do shoddy work.

YLOD repair is over 2k pesos (4 thou na nga yata) while a heat gun is 2k pesos.  Just remember to get the best thermal compound you can find.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 09:17 PM »

Hmm that's strange. In my case, I can pause w/out any problem. Any specific chapter that you can't pause?

Dan let me know the exact same spots so I can try it out.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM »
Hmm that's strange. In my case, I can pause w/out any problem. Any specific chapter that you can't pause?

Dan let me know the exact same spots so I can try it out.

It's actually the entire Inception BD disc. Playing the disc from the moment you put it in the player to watching it, there's no problem. And I discover just now that includes the pause function when you use it.

But if you choose to stop the disc at anytime. That's where the issues arise. When you press stop, the CDR king player kicks you back to the setup screen. Play Inception again and it will ask you to either resume where you stopped or start from the beginning.

Choose to resume and it plays the disc where you left off. My player did a few things after it started playing. the sound would skip out. Pause works but it worsens the lag. Now, all it does is pause. It's crazy, but hopefully isolated to just the Inception BD. I haven't experienced these problems--yet--with my other BDs.

So, in my case with my Inception BD: Don't resume! Use the chapter select. Can you try out different tests with your resume function on this BD?

Try looking at the 40:45 mark. Does yours "hiccup"? Now, rewind to that mark again and try pausing. What happens to me is it keeps playing, them stutters, then gets laggy. hit fast forward for a few seconds and everything alright again.

These small glitches happen where the "Extraction point" special feature intersects. But as far as watching the whole movie uninterrupted is concerned, the CDR king player still fares much better running the Inception BD than the Samsung player.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:37 AM by Dan »

Offline mrclark

• Collector
  • A PinoyDVD reader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #167 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM »
Paul, first I have to say great review. Regarding the audio above, unfortunately those samsung dvd home theater don't have coaxial input, or hdmi input afaik. Sayang, but I may be wrong. If it doesn't have it, I don't think its possible for them to get 5.1 sound from this player. :(

Hello Moks or anyone,
Is there a cheap HTIB DVD players out there with coaxial input or hdmi input? So I could buy and connect this CDR-King BD player?

HTIB blu-ray players are still way too expensive.

Thanks.

Offline BusyChild

• DVD Guru
  • Act your rage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM »
When Star Wars: The Complete Blu-ray Saga is out na, I'm gonna buy this player.... woot!  ;D It will be my first Blu-ray player if ever... hehehehe.... ;D
May you get everything you want, but nothing that you need.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
After much hewing and hawing (translation: revisiting this post every day for updates from our brave volunteer testers ;D), I finally mustered the courage to get myself this much ballyhooed BD player from the cd-r king outlet in Trinoma this past afternoon. Oh, and my PS3 YLOD'd on me a week or two ago, so I really needed a player in my room :-[

Anyway, I brought a couple of Region A titles (Avatar, The Thing) with me for in-store testing; they took awhile to get started (a little under a minute) but then again so do they on my then-working PS3 and our Samsung BDP in the living room, so no problem there. After DVD playback on my copies of Saving Private Ryan (R1) and Jaws (R3) went without a hitch as well, I finally relented and coughed out the P3,990.

Will be posting pics and impressions as I torture test this little baby before the end of the 7-day return period - starting tonight, with Inglorious Basterds and, time allowing, The Day After Tomorrow ;D

Congrats sir on your player

Hello Moks or anyone,
Is there a cheap HTIB DVD players out there with coaxial input or hdmi input? So I could buy and connect this CDR-King BD player?

Thanks.

Sori sir I'm not very familiar with htib dvd packages. If I drop by some appliance store I will check it out for you. ;D. I will let you know. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM by Moks007 »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #170 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 02:50 PM »
Hello Moks or anyone,

Thanks.

HTIB DVD players usually only have one input which is optical.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 03:30 PM »

I think I was there when you were testing the unit bro. Remeber the guy who asked if you had a region B dics with you? I was out measuring the 3 layer rack with wall mount. :)
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #172 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 05:33 PM »
Wala pang naka test sa Region B? excited ako coz I have a Tekken BD Region B & still havent seen this movie until now, hopefully this CDR-King BDP would be the missing link for a affordable player in my bedroom :)
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline efireymv23

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #173 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
Hi! I'm not sure if somebody already tested this player for Region B BDs. I do some testing today in CDR king Robinson Forum for both Region A and B and the results are:

Region A (The Darknight) - Works Great same results i got from my Sony PS3 and Samsung BD-C6900
Region B (Rocky Balboa) - Does not play the message is " Region B cannot be play on this player"   same message i got from my PS3 and Samsung player when i try to play this disc.

Definitely this player is not a multi-region unless you hack it  ;)

Thanks,
Rhey

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 05:38 PM »
Thanks very much for the info sir. Now its verified, its not all region.

Offline Prometheus75

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 06:21 PM »
I think I was there when you were testing the unit bro. Remeber the guy who asked if you had a region B dics with you? I was out measuring the 3 layer rack with wall mount. :)

Ah yes, I remember. Small world indeed ;) So, did you get your three-layer rack?
Going 3D, at last! (And I don't care it it's a fad.)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 06:23 PM »
Thanks efireymv23 for the clarification & info. Now the mystery is put to rest. :)

Offline edboy7

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #177 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:06 PM »
too bad...anyway hacking mystery begins :D

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:16 PM »
Hi! I'm not sure if somebody already tested this player for Region B BDs. I do some testing today in CDR king Robinson Forum for both Region A and B and the results are:

Region A (The Darknight) - Works Great same results i got from my Sony PS3 and Samsung BD-C6900
Region B (Rocky Balboa) - Does not play the message is " Region B cannot be play on this player"   same message i got from my PS3 and Samsung player when i try to play this disc.

Definitely this player is not a multi-region unless you hack it  ;)

Thanks,
Rhey
Thanks for this great info ;)

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Apr 11, 2011 at 08:19 PM »
Please try this new Hack I got:
Turn on unit
Eject Tray
Hit Set Up
Press Numbers 8520
For DVD Press 0 All Regions
Press OK
Hit Set up
This makes DVD's Region Free

For Blurays
As Above.
You will see second box with the letters
according to where you live A or B
Press Number 1 For Region A USA Discs.
Press Numbers 2 For Region B. UK Europe & Australia
Press Number 4 Foe Region C China etc.
This works 100%
You can now play either.
Press OK then Setup and you are ready.

and Moks Thanks for trying, will try to look for mor ehacks, and of course the  easiest really is to get hold of a Region B BD and Region C, and if it's region free we don't need the hack anymore.(although it might be better sicne upgrades at times reverts back the hack)  ;)

Addedum:
Here's another:
(1) Open the disc draw.
(2) Push 91130 = All-Region for DVD
(3) Push 91131 = Region A for BD
(4) Push 91132 = Region B for BD
(5) Push 91133 = Region C for BD

or modify:
(1) Open the disc draw.
(2) Hit Setup
(3) Push 9113
(4) A Configure window appears
(5) Change Region as needed

Now maybe Sir Alfie's suggestion would really do the work (Hacking)  ;)