Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 362144 times)

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #1770 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 07:18 AM »
If that's the case, don't say God found you. Just say, God have salvation plans for you and the predestined lot. Simple enough hindi ba? And when you preach, instead of just saying "believe in Jesus", lagyan mo ng disclaimer, "believe in Jesus, malay mo, predestined ka".

I was lost but then God found me. I can't change what I have experience.

When someone share to me the Word of God no one tell me that I am predestined, he just show me the Good News. The same I will do when sharing the Word of God, what they need (lost souls) is Jesus Christ - salvation. They dont need a doctrine.

as i said before, when it comes to sharing the Word of God, we dont need to mention "predestination". For me it is meat, and it is hard for a new born babe to digest the meat.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1771 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 07:49 AM »
I was lost but then God found me. I can't change what I have experience.

Don't twist your experience to suit your belief.

as i said before, when it comes to sharing the Word of God, we dont need to mention "predestination". For me it is meat, and it is hard for a new born babe to digest the meat.

The predestined list started with creation right? Bakit mo ipagpapaliban? Ano yan, catch?

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1772 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:01 AM »
Don't twist your experience to suit your belief.

because i was lost spiritually. if i am lost spiritually then only God can find me. cmon bumblebee, it is just an idea on how God works in our life. :) if you have better knowledge of what I experience then so be it. :) kung para sa iyo ang sinasabi kong testimony regarding on how God found me is not true nasa sa iyo yan. :)

The predestined list started with creation right? Bakit mo ipagpapaliban? Ano yan, catch?

again, meat is hard to digest. never introduce the doctrine of predestination to someone who dont even know or experience the salvation. they will just keep on asking questions. instead na mapalapit mo sila sa Panginoon, lalo lang silang mapapalayo.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:22 AM by dpogs »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1773 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:22 AM »
because i was lost spiritually. if i am lost spiritually then only God can find me. cmon bumblebee, it is just an idea on how God works in our life. :)

Sorry, but I'm not buying that.

again, meat is hard to digest. never introduce the doctrine of predestination to someone who dont even know or experience the salvation. they will just keep on asking questions.

Parang marketing pitch pala yung faith mo. Me disclaimer kang predestination, pero ayaw mong idisclose.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1774 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:28 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not buying that.

Because it is my personal experience. I am lost spiritually, I am an atheist, even cursing God in front of people. Wala ngang makakapagisip sa bahay namin na magbabago ang aking buhay :). When we are lost spiritually, it is God who seek for us, it is God who found us and lead us to light.

Parang marketing pitch pala yung faith mo. Me disclaimer kang predestination, pero ayaw mong idisclose.

Because what people need first is Jesus Christ - salvation. How they can understand the doctrine of predestination if they dont even experience the salvation.

Sa buhay ng isang Christian ay may process din yan, a new christian is considered a new baby in Christ... milk and soft food ang kailagan nila, huwag muna pakainin ng karne kasi hindi pa nila kaya.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1775 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:53 AM »
Sa buhay ng isang Christian ay may process din yan, a new christian is considered a new baby in Christ... milk and soft food ang kailagan nila, huwag muna pakainin ng karne kasi hindi pa nila kaya.

Okay sana iyang process mo if they can influence their salvation. Kaso may list ka e. Pwede pa ba nila mabago yung list? Hindi na di ba? Hindi mo mapapakain ng karne ang herbivore kaya sa simula pa lang, sabihin mo na ang karne ay para sa carnivore lang.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1776 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 09:00 AM »
Actually, it refers to God's perfect plan of salvation.

The msytery is God's perfect plan of salvation that have been revealed to us through His word - the Bible.

But the mind of God which is what i am talking about "mystery" we cannot understand them, God never reveal them completely. That is why I called the predestination and free will coexist a mystery since predestination can be found in the Bible and free will can be found also in the Bible.

Tama ka naman sir.  The mind of God really is impossible for man to comprehend.

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Is. 55:8 )

That is why God revealed to man some things through His word in the bible, because we would not be able to know them otherwise.  But God did not reveal to us all things; He just revealed to us some things that He wanted us to know.

Included in what God revealed to us is His plan for salvation.  That is not something impossible for man to comprehend because it was revealed by God through His word.

The issues of predestination and free will are matters that were revealed to man through God's word in the bible.  Therefore, those issues are not impossible for man to comprehend.

In bible discussions, do not use the word "mystery" to mean something impossible for man to understand.  In the bible, a mystery is something revealed.

The plan of salvation is revealed in the bible.  If you fail to understand it, it does not mean it is impossible to understand, it only means you failed to grasp what was revealed by God.

The reason why you can't explain how individual predestination and free will can coexist is because individual predestination is a false doctrine, not because it is a secret knowledge kept hidden frrom man.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 09:10 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1777 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 09:02 AM »
Okay sana iyang process mo if they can influence their salvation. Kaso may list ka e. Pwede pa ba nila mabago yung list? Hindi na di ba? Hindi mo mapapakain ng karne ang herbivore kaya sa simula pa lang, sabihin mo na ang karne ay para sa carnivore lang.

what we know is there is a list, but we dont know who are they... kaya nga di ba... we need to share the Word of God to every person because we dont know who is the elect. and when sharing the word of God dont mention predestination because they will not understand it.

when i am taking about milk, soft food or meat... i am talking about doctrine. there are doctrine suitable for new christian, doctrine for baby christian, doctrine para sa mga matured christian.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1778 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 09:21 AM »
what we know is there is a list, but we dont know who are they... kaya nga di ba... we need to share the Word of God to every person because we dont know who is the elect. and when sharing the word of God dont mention predestination because they will not understand it.

Simple lang naman predestination. I don't know why you are complicating it.

Offline pTrader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #1779 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM »
Meron sa Calvinism.  If some are predestined to heaven, where are the others predestined to go?

Hell, of course.  John Calvin said so:

We call predestination God’s eternal decree, by which he compacted with himself what he willed to become of each man. For all are not created in equal condition; rather, eternal life is foreordained for some, eternal damnation for others. Therefore, as any man has been created to one or the other of these ends, we speak of him as predestined to life or to death. (John Calvin, Institutes, bk 3, ch. 21, sec. 5)

If this written by John Calvin, it is John Calvin's not of the Bible.

just search the bible eto yung may predestined word:

predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son

And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also
 justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ,
 in accordance with his pleasure and will

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him
 who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will

but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which
 God predestined before the ages to our glory

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1780 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 11:44 AM »
If there's anyone who's contradicting himself, it's you. Predestination and free will are like fire and ice. One is hot, the other cold. Fire can't be cold as ice can't be hot.

Na gets ko na yung ibig mong sabihin.

Predestination, Calling, Justification, Glorification are an act and will of God alone. Walang kinalaman ang free will ng tao diyan. At wala kang magagawa diyan  ang action is from  God alone.

Isinulat yung pangalan mo sa Aklat ng Buhay, wala ka rin magagwa diyan even you exercise free will. Yung nagsulat ng pangalan mo ang nag exercise ng free will niya para masulat ang pangalan mo.

Kung free will pa rin ang pag-uusapan, Yung  tagapagligtas ay may free will din kung sino ang kanyang ililigtas.

Free will din ng Hukom kung sino  ang ikukulong  at patatawarin. Ang hukom ang mag  dedesisyon inde tayo na may free-will din.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1781 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM »
If this written by John Calvin, it is John Calvin's not of the Bible.

Tama.

Sabi ni Calvin, some are predestined to hell.  That's wrong.  Sabi rin ni Calvin, some are predestined to heaven.  That's also wrong.

just search the bible eto yung may predestined word:

Tama. 

Meron talagang predestined word sa bible.  Hindi problema yon.  Ang problema, yung intindi sa meaning ng predestined.

predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son

Tama. 

The plan of salvation was predestined.  It was predestined that those who believe in Christ will be saved. 

Use your free will and believe in Christ, and you will be considered part of those who will be saved in accordance with the predestined plan. 

Tama.

God predestined that some will believe Christ and some will not.

Use your free will, believe in Christ, and you will be part of the group who believe in Christ and will be saved.  They who respond to the call of the gospel will be justified and glorified. 

The call, justification, and glorification are part of the plan of salvation.  What was predestined was the plan, not the salvation of the specific individual.

God's plan was predestined; man's response is free will.

he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ,
 in accordance with his pleasure and will

Tama.

The plan of salvation was predestined.  Believe in Christ using your free will and you will be part of the group that will be saved.

That is in accordance with God's pleasure and will --- that those who believe will be saved.  Man will use his free will to respond to it; he will also use his free will to reject it.

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him
 who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will

Tama.

What was predestined was the plan, not individual salvation.

Believe in Christ and you will be chosen.  Once you are chosen, you will part of the group that will be saved.

That's free will.

but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which
 God predestined before the ages to our glory

Tama.

What was predestined was the plan of salvation.  The plan is a mystery because it was once hidden, but is now revealed.  And the plan is that all who believe will be saved, whether Jew or Gentile. 

Salvation is possible for all; it is not limited to those who were individually predestined. Believe in Christ and you will be saved.

That's free will, not individual predestination.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1782 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:35 PM »
Tama.

Sabi ni Calvin, some are predestined to hell.  That's wrong.  Sabi rin ni Calvin, some are predestined to heaven.  That's also wrong.

Tama. 

Meron talagang predestined word sa bible.  Hindi problema yon.  Ang problema, yung intindi sa meaning ng predestined.

Tama. 

The plan of salvation was predestined.  It was predestined that those who believe in Christ will be saved. 

Use your free will and believe in Christ, and you will be considered part of those who will be saved in accordance with the predestined plan. 

Tama.

God predestined that some will believe Christ and some will not.

Use your free will, believe in Christ, and you will be part of the group who believe in Christ and will be saved.  They who respond to the call of the gospel will be justified and glorified. 

The call, justification, and glorification are part of the plan of salvation.  What was predestined was the plan, not the salvation of the specific individual.

God's plan was predestined; man's response is free will.

Tama.

The plan of salvation was predestined.  Believe in Christ using your free will and you will be part of the group that will be saved.

That is in accordance with God's pleasure and will --- that those who believe will be saved.  Man will use his free will to respond to it; he will also use his free will to reject it.

Tama.

What was predestined was the plan, not individual salvation.

Believe in Christ and you will be chosen.  Once you are chosen, you will part of the group that will be saved.

That's free will.

Tama.

What was predestined was the plan of salvation.  The plan is a mystery because it was once hidden, but is now revealed.  And the plan is that all who believe will be saved, whether Jew or Gentile. 

Salvation is possible for all; it is not limited to those who were individually predestined. Believe in Christ and you will be saved.

That's free will, not individual predestination.

Ibig sabihin if you exerciise your free will doon ka maka-qualified? kung inde mo gagawaing manampalataya by your own free will inde ka maliligtas?
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM by pTrader »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1783 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM »

kung inde mo gagawaing manampalataya by your own free will inde ka maliligtas?

Yes, ganon na nga sir.

Malinaw naman siguro yon sa sangkatutak na post ko.

Pati exceptions na-post ko na rin.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1784 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 01:00 PM »
Yes, ganon na nga sir.

Malinaw naman siguro yon sa sangkatutak na post ko.

Pati exceptions na-post ko na rin.

Ibig sabihin you saved yourself? in other words, Co-Saviour ka ng sarili mo?
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 01:01 PM by pTrader »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1785 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 02:53 PM »
No.

Wag na nating pahabain sir.  Hindi naman baguhan sa bible debates ang kausap mo.  Derecho na agad tayo sa punto.

You mean you believe in "faith alone" without works, or the "Sola Fide" doctrine of Martin Luther.

You know I believe in faith + works. 

Cite your support verses and I will explain my interpretations of your verses.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015 at 02:57 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1786 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 05:51 PM »
No.

Wag na nating pahabain sir.  Hindi naman baguhan sa bible debates ang kausap mo.  Derecho na agad tayo sa punto.

You mean you believe in "faith alone" without works, or the "Sola Fide" doctrine of Martin Luther.

You know I believe in faith + works. 

Cite your support verses and I will explain my interpretations of your verses.

Eph 2:8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

I do believe that by the grace of God I have been saved, through faith. And this faith does not come from me but from God.

Romans 12:3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you

Acts 3:16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

As Paul testified, that faith is in Christ Jesus.

1 tim 1:13Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Can that faith sufficient enough for salvation? Yes, because those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham. And that by that faith we are justified.

Gal 3:8Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”d9So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

What about James 2?

James 2:17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 2:20You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessd ? 21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

The faith that cometh from God is always accompanied by action. Your action validates  your faith or the evidence of your  faith.

James 2
...his faith was made complete by what he did. ...

Romans 12
..in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you..

So the boundaries of such action is in accordance with the faith that God has given.

Actions or works (as other say it) are only the evidence of that faith.

It is always been "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast" not by "faith + work"   or by "faith alone" .

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1787 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:04 PM »
Ibig sabihin if you exerciise your free will doon ka maka-qualified? kung inde mo gagawaing manampalataya by your own free will inde ka maliligtas?

Sir, try ko baliktarin ang question.

Kung hindi ka mananampalataya by your own free will, malilligatas ka pa din ba?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1788 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 08:19 PM »

27 Charge them with crime upon crime;
    do not let them share in your salvation.
28 May they be blotted out of the book of life
    and not be listed with the righteous.

Pwede din bang maaslis ang pangalan sa book of life?

One of the possible answer here is in book of Romans 11 in understanding Psalms 69:22-29 regarding the unbelieving Jews.

And gain ponder these words  not be listed with the righteous.

Sir ayon sa Romans 11:

13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches.

So pwedeng maalis ang pangalan sa book of life.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1789 on: Sep 16, 2015 at 09:12 PM »
Eph 2:8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

I do believe that by the grace of God I have been saved, through faith. And this faith does not come from me but from God.

By grace you have been saved.  Grace is a gift, not something earned.  The gift comes from God.

The verse is talking about the works of the law of Moses.  That is why the chapter talks about the barrier of hostility between the circumcised and the circumcision in verses 11-18. 

Verse 8 explains that it is not by works of the law alone that you are saved.  If it were by works of the law alone, then you would boast that it was from your own power that you were saved.

If it is not by works alone, does it mean you are saved by grace alone?  No.  Does it mean you are saved by faith alone?  No.

Does the verse say you are saved by grace alone?  No.  The entire bible does not say you are saved by "grace alone."

Does it say you are saved by faith alone?  No.  The entire bible does not say you are saved by "faith alone."

The bible mentions "faith alone" only once --- for the purpose of explaining that faith alone will not save you:

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. (James 2:24)

Romans 12:3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you

Acts 3:16By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.

Romans 12:3 does not say we are saved by grace alone; it does not say were are saved by faith alone.

It's saying that you should not think too highly of your own role in the church.  If your role is to serve, just serve in faith; do not teach scripture if you do not have the role of a teacher.

Acts 3:16 does not say we are saved by faith alone.

Acts 3:16 is about physical healing, not about eternal salvation.  The lame beggar was asking for money, not salvation.  It was not the faith of the lame beggar that healed him, it was the faith of Peter and John.  The lame beggar did not yet have faith.  All he was interested in at the time was alms, not spiritual salvation.

1 tim 1:13Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

It does not say "grace alone;" it does not say "faith alone."

Paul did a lot of work as the apostle to the Gentiles.

Paul did not stop with faith alone.

==================================

Can that faith sufficient enough for salvation? Yes, because those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham. And that by that faith we are justified.

Gal 3:8Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”d9So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Galatians 3 explains that salvation used to be available only to the Jews, but is now extended to all.  It used to be available only to the bloodline of Abraham.  Now, those who have faith in Jesus Christ are considered children of Abraham spiritually, even if they are not literal descendants of Abraham.

Note that when Paul mentions "works" here, he means the "works of the Law of Moses:"

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? 4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.  (Gal. 3:1-9)

If you rely on faith, you will be blessed.  It means salvation will also be available to you, just as it was available to the Jews. 

Abraham was credited with righteousness, even if the law did not yet exist during his time.  It means faith is the one that is important, not the law of Moses.  That is why the Gentiles received the Spirit by faith and not because of their works of law of Moses.

Therefore, it is a contrast between the works of the law of Moses and faith.  It is faith that is required, not the works of the law of Moses.  But it is not a negation of good works; it is merely a negation of the works of the law of Moses.

It does not say that all you need is "faith alone" without good works, and you are guaranteed salvation. 

On the contrary, the bible says Abraham was considered righteous not by "faith alone," but by faith + works:

21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. (James 2:21-24)

Here's what the bible does say about good works:

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.  (Rom. 2:6-7)

Does it say God will give eternal life according to our "faith alone"?  That those who by persistence in having "faith alone" will be given eternal life?

===================================

Romans 12

So the boundaries of such action is in accordance with the faith that God has given.

You're out of context.

The verse is explaining that each has a different role to play in the church.  The early Christians were warned --- Do not think of yourself more highly than you should.  Some are given the role of a teacher, but not all can be teachers. 

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (Rom. 12:3-8)

Is it talking about salvation?  No.  Is it saying "faith alone" without good works? No. 

On the contrary, it's talking about good works in the church, and that each has his own function in the totality of the good works of the "one body with many members."

What about James 2?

James 2:17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
James 2:20You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is uselessd ? 21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

The faith that cometh from God is always accompanied by action. Your action validates  your faith or the evidence of your  faith.

James 2

Instead of contradicting my position, you're actually supporting it.

Faith is dead if not accompanied by works.   Abraham's faith and actions were working together.  Faith is made complete by action.  Therefore, it's faith + works.

It cannot be faith alone. 

The devil believes in God.  Is the devil saved?

19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. (James 2:19)

==================================

"Faith alone" vs. "faith + works" --- which is correct?  James explains:

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.  (James 2:14-26)

Your action validates your faith or the evidence of your faith.

Thanks for agreeing with me.  ;)

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1790 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 12:42 AM »
Justification before eyes of God is by faith alone. Grace is grace and works is works. We cannot combined them when it comes to our salvation. Man cannot achieve or earn his salvation by his works. It is only by God's grace.

"For by grace are ye saved... not or works lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2:8-9

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Romans 11:6

If we say that we need to do good work in order to maintain our salvation then it is not grace anymore. You are implying that what Jesus did in the cross is incomplete that we still need to maintain our salvation. Our salvation depends in our complete trust to Jesus saving grace.

"Faith without works is dead" hindi sinabi dito na without works your salvation is not complete. It only says your faith is dead thus better check if it is genuine or not, because a saving faith produces good works.

James is describing what is "genuine" faith. He is not describing the gospel as what Paul did in Romans. If you have genuine faith it will always produce or results to good works. If you're saying that you have faith but no good works is evident in your life then your faith is dead (not genuine).

When it comes to gospel/salvation : Faith alone (or Grace alone)
When it comes to Christian Living : Faith + Works

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1791 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 01:56 AM »
Justification before eyes of God is by faith alone. Grace is grace and works is works. We cannot combined them when it comes to our salvation. Man cannot achieve or earn his salvation by his works. It is only by God's grace.

That's not biblical.

24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. (James 2:21-24)

"For by grace are ye saved... not or works lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2:8-9

Ephesians 2 is talking about works of the law of Moses.

The gift of God is that there is a plan of salvation.  Believe in Christ and you will be saved.  That is God's grace. 

Without God's grace, you can believe all you want and you still won't be saved.   With God's grace, you can now believe and be saved.

By that grace, we are saved.  What do we do?  Believe in Christ.  What does it mean to believe in Christ?  Follow his commands.  That's work.

By grace we are saved.  Not by works of the law of Moses.  Because if it's by the works of the law, then we would boast that we were saved through our own power.  That's what the verses mean.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Romans 11:6

Romans 11 refers to works of the law of Moses.

If we are saved on the basis of grace, then we are saved based on an unearned and undeserved gift. 

It cannot be based on works of the law of Moses.  Because if it's based on works of the law, then it is something earned, not unearned and undeserved.   

The gift of God is that there is a plan of salvation.  Believe in Christ and you will be saved.  That is God's grace. 

Without God's grace, you can believe all you want and you still won't be saved.   With God's grace, you can now believe and be saved.

By that grace, we are saved.  What do we do?  Believe in Christ.  What does it mean to believe in Christ?  Follow his commands.  That's work.

By grace we are saved.  Not by works of the law of Moses.  Because if it's by the works of the law, then that can't be considered grace anymore.  That's what the verses mean.

How will we be judged?   By our faith alone?  No, we shall be judged according to what we have done.

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.  (Rom. 2:6-7)

If we say that we need to do good work in order to maintain our salvation then it is not grace anymore. You are implying that what Jesus did in the cross is incomplete that we still need to maintain our salvation. Our salvation depends in our complete trust to Jesus saving grace.

No, hindi ganon yon sir.  You did not understand how Christ's sacrifice worked.

Without Jesus' death, there is no forgiveness of sins.  With Jesus' death, there is now forgiveness of sins. 

What do you have to do?  Repent of your sins and believe in Christ.  Your sins are forgiven.  You are a new creation. 

Which of your sins are forgiven?  All of your past sins.  Christ's sacrifice is complete, and completely erases your past sins.  Your future sins are not included. 

If your future sins are not included, then you must remain in Him by following His commands, otherwise you will be cast off.

Sa iyo pala sir, yung kamatayan ni Kristo, burado hindi lang past sins mo, burado rin pati yung future sins mo.  Magbulakbol ka na lang sir, just trust Jesus to save you.

Paul himself was worried about his own salvation.  He did not say "Once Saved Always Saved."  He was aware that he himself might be cast away if he does not remain in Christ:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.  (1 Cor. 9:27)

Hindi katulad mo sir, wala kang kakaba-kaba sa salvation mo.  Ang lumalabas, talo mo pa pala si Pablo na apostol.

"Faith without works is dead" hindi sinabi dito na without works your salvation is not complete. It only says your faith is dead thus better check if it is genuine or not, because a saving faith produces good works.

Hindi sinabi na without works your salvation is not complete, only dead?

Labo naman non sir.  Ang sabi, hindi lang incomplete, patay pa.  Pag incomplete lang, baka sakaling buhay na naghihingalo.  Dito, hindi lang naghihingalo, patay.

Better check if it's genuine or not?   Patay na nga e. 

Tama, a saving faith produces good works.  That's why if there are no good works, then faith is dead.  E di faith + good works nga.

If you have genuine faith it will always produce or results to good works. If you're saying that you have faith but no good works is evident in your life then your faith is dead (not genuine).

You say genuine faith always has good works.  E di faith + good works nga.

You say the one who claims he has faith but does not have good works, his faith is dead.  E di faith + good works nga.

When it comes to gospel/salvation : Faith alone (or Grace alone)
When it comes to Christian Living : Faith + Works

This is not biblical.  I don't know where you got this.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 02:24 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1792 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 03:00 AM »
Believing is not work. Following God's commandment is product of believing/faith.

24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. (James 2:21-24)

Ephesians 2 is talking about works of the law of Moses.

By grace we are saved.  Not by works of the law of Moses.  Because if it's by the works of the law, then we would boast that we were saved through our own power.  That's what the verses mean.

Eph 2:8-9 only says "works" not "works of the law of Moses"

If we are saved on the basis of grace, then we are saved based on an unearned and undeserved gift. 
It cannot be based on works of the law of Moses.  Because if it's based on works of the law, then it is something earned, not unearned and undeserved.   

No, hindi ganon yon sir.  You did not understand how Christ's sacrifice worked.

Without Jesus' death, there is no forgiveness of sins.  With Jesus' death, there is now forgiveness of sins. 

What do you have to do?  Repent of your sins and believe in Christ.  Your sins are forgiven.  You are a new creation. 

During this moment - repenting and beleiving - are you doing "work"?

Which of your sins are forgiven?  All of your past sins.  Christ's sacrifice is complete, and completely erases your past sins.  Your future sins are not included. 

If your future sins are not included, then you must remain in Him by following His commands, otherwise you will be cast off.

When Jesus covered us by His blood, God the father doesnt see us by our works, but by the blood of Jesus. Kaya nga Jesus sacrficie himself because God knows no one can follow His commands. all works need for salvation already completed by Jesus Christ.

If i am not doing any good here on earth i may be taken away but not cast off. cast off is for those who didnt believe in Jesus.

Sa iyo pala sir, yung kamatayan ni Kristo, burado hindi lang past sins mo, burado rin pati yung future sins mo.  Magbulakbol ka na lang sir, just trust Jesus to save you.

This is not true if you have a genuine faith. A real christian will never do this. "Bulakbol, magkasala no limit kasi pupunta naman ng langit". Faith doesnt work that way. Ang nakakaisip lang nito ay ang mga washedup pig/wolves in sheepskin.

Paul himself was worried about his own salvation.  He was aware that he himself might be cast away if he does not remain in Christ:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.  (1 Cor. 9:27)

Hindi katulad mo sir, wala kang kakaba-kaba sa salvation mo.  Ang lumalabas, talo mo pa pala si Pablo na apostol.

Castaway but not condemend. I may be castaway with my fellowship to God but not our relationship. This is what we called "practice what we preach". If you are saying you're Christian then bring your body into subjection under the holy spirit.

I am just holding on what Jesus promise to me - eternal life. That is why I am confident through Jesus Christ's promises. I am not confident of myself, I am confident sa promise ng Diyos.

Hindi sinabi na without works your salvation is not complete, only dead?

Labo naman non sir.  Ang sabi, hindi lang incomplete, patay pa.  Pag incomplete lang, baka sakaling buhay na naghihingalo.  Dito, hindi lang naghihingalo, patay.

Better check if it's genuine or not?   Patay na nga e. 

Faith without works is dead = Faith without works is not genuine

Tama, a saving faith produces good works.  That's why if there are no good works, then faith is dead.  E di faith + good works nga.

genunie faith that produces good works... byproduct of genuine faith... result of genuine faith... result of salvation... but not necessary (or not a requirement) for salvation.

You say genuine faith always has good works.  E di faith + good works nga.

You say the one who claims he has faith but does not have good works, his faith is dead.  E di faith + good works nga.

This is our difference:

Why I am doing good works or why I am obeying God's commandment? Because... It is the results of my relationship to God. It is the result of a genuine faith. It is the result of my salvation. It is the workmanship of Jesus made me unto good works.

Why you are doing good works or why you are obeying God's commandment? To maintain your relationship to God. To maintain your salvation. To obtain your salvation. To earned you salvation.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:06 AM by dpogs »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1793 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:52 AM »

Sinasabe ko sa taas na "by grace" at kung  saan nagmula yung faith. walang  Sola, Sola concept dyan.

What about James 2?

James 2

Romans 12

Actions or works (as other say it) are only the evidence of that faith.

since mahilig kayo sa formula  then gawan  natin ng  formula

sabi  ng iba:

Faith + Work = Salvation

Sabi ng James:

22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did

Complete Faith =  Faith with actions or faith with evidence of action.
Complete Faith = Faith + Work

It is always been "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast" not by "faith + work"   or by "faith alone" .

Kaya nga sinabe ko sa taas and quoted Eph 2:8,9 kasi mahilig mag gawa ng formula eh wala  namang "by grace through "Faith  + Work" or by grace through  "faith alone".

Simply lang naman yung words "by grace you have been saved, through faith".
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM by pTrader »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1794 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 11:46 AM »
Sir, try ko baliktarin ang question.

Kung hindi ka mananampalataya by your own free will, malilligatas ka pa din ba?

Kailangan yung pananampalataya  sir.

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1795 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM »
Sir ayon sa Romans 11:

13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection brought reconciliation to the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? 16 If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches.

So pwedeng maalis ang pangalan sa book of life.

28 May they be blotted out of the book of life
    and not be listed with the righteous.

this seems to be a request  to blot the name.  Referring to verse  22 up to the verses you posted, pinapakita diyan kung gano kasama yung ginagawa nila that is why such request was  made.

Talking about Israel, this is   "17 If some of the branches have been broken off, " not utter rejection since there is still a  covenant existing (see verse 26 to 27).

25I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, 26and in this waye all Israel will be saved. As it is written:

“The deliverer will come from Zion;

he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

27And this isf my covenant with them

when I take away their sins.”

And also case of election:

but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may nowh receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Rom 9:6It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”b8In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”c

10Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”d13Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”e

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1796 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 01:22 PM »

Believing is not work. Following God's commandment is product of believing/faith.

First, know the biblical meaning of "believe."  To believe in Christ includes the act of following Christ's commands. 

If all you have to do to be saved is to passively believe, then no active abiding is required.

Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved (Acts 16:31)

Does this mean that all that is required is a passive belief?  No.

12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. (Rev. 22:12)

The reward of eternal life is based on what you have done.  Why does Acts 16:31 just say "believe"?  Because believing includes following Christ's commands.  It is not limited to passive belief.

4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. (1 John 2:4)

That's why Christ asked:

46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? (Luke 6:46)

========================================

Eph 2:8-9 only says "works" not "works of the law of Moses"

You failed to see the context.

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)—12 remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. (Eph. 2:8-13)

What kind of works is the verse discussing?  Works of the law of Moses like circumcision.

That's why it says, "therefore."  It is distinguishing between Jew and Gentile.  The circumcision and the uncircumcised.  Not by works of the law, but through faith.

That's why it says "not by works" (Jews), then immediately follows by saying "to do good works" (Gentiles).  It is distinguishing between works of the law and good works that are not of the law.

=====================================

When Jesus covered us by His blood, God the father doesnt see us by our works, but by the blood of Jesus. Kaya nga Jesus sacrficie himself because God knows no one can follow His commands. all works need for salvation already completed by Jesus Christ.

Works are still required.  That's why we will be judged according to what we have done.

Jesus sacrificed himself because the sacrificial lamb must be sinless.  Only He is sinless, so only He is qualified.

Jesus completed the requirement so that man can be born of the Spirit.  Nothing man can do can ever fulfill that requirement.  But once man is spiritually reborn, he must follow the commands of Christ and continue to follow His commands:

3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. (1 John 2:3-6)

You will see clearly that it is not enough to have faith.  You must do what Christ commands.  That is work.

If i am not doing any good here on earth i may be taken away but not cast off. cast off is for those who didnt believe in Jesus.

That's what I said.  You believe you're better than Paul.

You are sure you won't be cast off because you are sure you believe in Christ.

Paul believes in Christ, yet he is concerned that he might be cast off:

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.  (1 Cor. 9:27, KJV)

No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Cor. 9:27, NIV)

You don't need works.  Good works come automatically to you.  Good works are only byproducts.  The only thing necessary is faith.

In contrast, Paul must force himself to do good works.  He disciplines his body like a slave, forcing it to do good works.

Talo mo pa sir si Pablo.  Si Pablo hirap na hirap, ikaw walang ka effort-effort.

This is not true if you have a genuine faith. A real christian will never do this. "Bulakbol, magkasala no limit kasi pupunta naman ng langit". Faith doesnt work that way. Ang nakakaisip lang nito ay ang mga washedup pig/wolves in sheepskin.

You believe all you need to abide is faith alone, and that all who abide will never sin:

Those who abide in Jesus never sin.

What do you have to worry about? 

Do whatever you want.  Anything you do will not be sin because you automatically do good.  It will be impossible for you to sin.

Do you have to discipline yourself? No.  You achieve good works automatically and without effort. 

Mas magaling ka pa nga kay Pablo.

====================================

Faith without works is dead = Faith without works is not genuine

genunie faith that produces good works... byproduct of genuine faith... result of genuine faith... result of salvation... but not necessary (or not a requirement) for salvation.

"Faith Alone" is a doctrine invented by Luther.  All you need for salvation is faith alone.  Good works are not required.

Yet "faith alone" is found only once in the bible, and only for the purpose of saying the opposite of Luther's false doctrine:

You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. (James 2:24)

Luther was so baffled with the contrary message of James 2 that he wanted to remove the Book of James from the Bible.  He called the book of James an "epistle of straw," implying that it should be burned like straw since it does not belong in the bible.

These days, the "faith alone" adherents devise new workarounds to solve the contrary teaching of James 2. 

They say good works are not a requirement, faith inevitably leads to good works, works are the demonstration of faith, works are the proof of faith, good works show that you have genuine faith rather than false faith or dead faith, etc., etc.

All of those arguments are illogical, nonsensical, and unbiblical.  Yet there is one thing they cannot escape --- faith and good works cannot be separated from each other. 

Why?  Because the requirement is faith + works, not "faith alone."
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:41 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1797 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 01:53 PM »

This is talking about "righteous person only"

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1798 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 05:44 PM »
A son of God, or those who have genuine faith, their nature is to do good works, because they were born of Spirit. Spirit and soul is of God, but the flesh is still of this world. That is why Paul needed to discipline his body since it still cortupt. He is not sinning before God but he is sinning because of his physical body. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Paul and everyone of us still need to make ourselves overcome the flesh.

A son of man, or those who dont have genuine faith, their nature is to commit sins, because they were born by flesh. Their soul and body is of this world.

Every born again is a new creature, from sinful nature to godly nature. Paul recognize the lust of the flesh/body that still corrupted. He is not working to obtain salvation, he is not subjecting his body to discipline to obtain salvation, he is aubjecting his body because it still corrupted.

The thing is no one can follow God's commandment completely.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1799 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:18 PM »

This is talking about "righteous person only"

Tama.

It is talking about the righteous person.  What does the righteous person have?  He has both faith and good works.  That is why he is considered righteous. 

What happens to the righteous?  They go to eternal life:

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Mt. 25:46)

Abraham is an example of a man considered by God to be righteous:

21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.  (James 2:21-24)

"Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness. " That's faith.  Was it faith alone?  No.  "Abraham was considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac." That's work.

So, it's faith + works --- "You see that his faith and actions were working together."

Thus, James concludes:

26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.  (James 2:26)

Ang dali namang intindihin.  Pinipilit n'yo lang patunugin yung "faith alone" n'yo kaya gumugulo.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:20 PM by barrister »