Author Topic: Is a 15 watt increase in amp power significant??  (Read 603 times)

Offline lynds

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is a 15 watt increase in amp power significant??
« on: Jul 11, 2011 at 04:43 PM »
Hi gurus, just wanted to ask your opinion if a 15 watt increase in amp power will significantly increase the performance of my setup. My current setup is Yamaha RXV 565 with RMS of 90 watts x 7. Speakers are Paradigm monitor 7 (recommended amp power of 15- 180 watts) I saw a good deal for the Yamaha rxv 863 which has RMS of 105 watts x 7. Is it worth it to go for it or just stick to my current setup, and what should I expect with a high powered amp compared to my current amp. Thanks in advance

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Is a 15 watt increase in amp power significant??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 04:49 PM »
no it is not.

you'd need at least double to notice it.

but note that wattage is not the most important aspect of the amp section.
wattage wise, you'd only need a few watts for constant use and maybe 50watts for the peaks
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 05:03 PM »
Hi gurus, just wanted to ask your opinion if a 15 watt increase in amp power will significantly increase the performance of my setup. My current setup is Yamaha RXV 565 with RMS of 90 watts x 7. Speakers are Paradigm monitor 7 (recommended amp power of 15- 180 watts) I saw a good deal for the Yamaha rxv 863 which has RMS of 105 watts x 7. Is it worth it to go for it or just stick to my current setup, and what should I expect with a high powered amp compared to my current amp. Thanks in advance

no....not even if your replacement amp is rated at 180watts.......in order for you to hear twice as loud, you should get amps rated at 900watts....

and depending on your room size....listening will probably take place in the 1watt to 5watt levels....you have enough power.....

power ratings are made to distinguish price.....of course the higher the watts, the higher the cost, even if in the inside the amp looks the same...
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011 at 05:07 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline lynds

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 05:25 PM »
Thanks Mike C and Tony T for the quick reply, been very helpful, so will just stick to my current setup. The best talaga Pinoydvd :)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
to give you a clearer perspective, play your receiver loudly, then raise the volume by 0.5 or 1 dB (actually it's supposed to be 0.67dB). that's the most you'll get out of the additional 15 watts from the original 90 watts.  ;)
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 11:01 PM »

actually, you need atleast 150+ watts to feel the difference but for overall performance instead of getting another mid powered receiver I suggest to get better subwoofer like SVS sir Mike is dealing. It's same opinion I gave to a fellow Pdvd member who planned to get ext. power amp which cost him a lot. He 's now very happy & satisfied with deftech. SuperCube (sayang walang SVS dealer dito sa location namin :( )...    
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest