Author Topic: How you decide on which speakers to buy  (Read 6322 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How you decide on which speakers to buy
« Reply #30 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 01:22 PM »
if you are spending more than 10% of your monthly income para sa bisyo na audio, then you really need to do some serious thinking....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #31 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:25 PM »
been saving my 10% for a set of speakers and an AVR, pero kulang pa rin ang BUDGET....... ;D
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:36 PM »
^if you are saving 10%, you should be okey...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:56 PM »
For me:
1. Price
2. Availability
3. Palatability

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #34 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 03:02 PM »
for me, Price and personal experience. I never factor the re-sale value. as long as I'm happy and content... Best buy na sakin yun. kung mabenta ko man sa future, it only means na nasulit ko na yung nagastos ko.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 03:12 PM »
i buy for keeps, i never think about resales when i buy...

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #36 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 03:20 PM »
Payo ko para sa naghahanap palang, mas ok kung basa basa ka muna tapos magsawa kang mag-audition sa shops and friends' setup lalo na kung malaki ang budget. This way, makakapagmuni-muni kang mabuti. Meantime, mag portable ka muna.  ;)

Para kang kakain ng lunch o dinner... kailangan may masarap na ulam, inumin, panghimagas, ambiance at kasama.

You need a good (matching) amp, speakers, interconnects, well treated room, good conversation and something to eat & drink.  :)

Kaya ako satisfied na sa chop-chop setup kasi kung seseryosohin ko dapat lagi akong may karayum at sinulid pangsulsi sa butas kong bulsa.  :D

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 05:07 PM »
Para sa akin when buying speakers the number one thing i consider is price then second is sound quality.

The speaker has to fulfill my "Price/performance ratio".  If i can get away with  some sacrifice to performance without breaking too much of my bank then ill go for it.

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #38 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 07:50 PM »
there are better things in life to save money for....... ;D
if you are spending more than 10% of your monthly income para sa bisyo na audio, then you really need to do some serious thinking....
^if you are saving 10%, you should be okey...
sometimes I can't understand what you are saying... you seem to contradict even yourself  ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011 at 07:51 PM by timber715 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 04:40 AM »
^i am not really talking to you nor about you.....i am merely expressing my opinions, and they were never about you.....

although some words may have come from you, they are never meant for you....

i am reaching out to those who may relate to my opinions.......

i am sorry if i seem to be in your face....that was never my intention....

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #40 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 03:37 PM »
if SQ is ok and meron at kaya ng budget, buy. check if may space paglagyan...
again, if SQ is ok at meron ulet disposable budget, buy. check if may space pang paglagyan...
round and round it goes.paulet ulet lan, in my case till wla ng mapaglagyan :D

thats me ;D.
many flavors to choose and enjoy.iba iba lan sound characters.
i also buy for keeps, never bothered with resales.
if magipit/ need to dispose, try sell fairly, if somebody is interested..
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2011 at 03:39 PM by dana »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #41 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 06:07 PM »
Sir Dana,

Sa kuwento mong iyan feeling ko parang nadagdagan ulit iyung Victor SX-III mo. Tama ba?

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #42 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 06:47 AM »
Sir Dana,

Sa kuwento mong iyan feeling ko parang nadagdagan ulit iyung Victor SX-III mo. Tama ba?

Psychic Mel, tumpak ka jan. isang maliit na Victor ulet ;D, SX-100.using it if mood dictates for a not so big (sound)   low powered/nearfield listening. :). pakinggan naten, pag napasyal ka...bring those magic chokes ;D .ako bahala sa chibog.minsan, pag masarap ang chibog,nakakaganda rin ng tunog ;D
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://homepage3.nifty.com/stonetechno/topic-12.html

para di naman OT:
regarding SQ quality of speaker, I try to listen for overall sound balance of the speaker drivers( low, mid & highs) and again listen for the total sound integration/presentation. It would help if you listen to a familiar source material of your choice, bring your own cds, for example. Again, if the price is ok as well as the SQ, price performance ratio ba tawag dun, panalo na. Again, trust and clean your ears. :)

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 at 08:49 AM by dana »

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 08:02 AM »

This is true in connection with my earlier post in being happy with the speakers for the years to come. It's a good feeling you're well placed with your speakers even though newer models come out.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 09:25 AM »
money you can always count and know where you stand, speaker SQ? how do you count that? can you put it in numbers to know where you are? ;D ;D ;D

@timber,
unsolicited advice, if i have your talent and skills and tools in woodworking, i would have come out with DIY speakers.....
you are very talented working with woods.....
you have jojod to back you up with the cross-overs....
i suggest you touch bases with lobejbl, jerry dela rosa from the other forum(WS) and see his set-up and you will get a lot of ideas....

Offline Euphony101

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 10:40 AM »
For me Price was the first factor, Once I decided my budget limit, I researched as much as I can on the brands within my budget. Looks for me is the least factor to consider, anyways we don't listen with our eyes. :D

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #46 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 11:25 AM »
money you can always count and know where you stand, speaker SQ? how do you count that? can you put it in numbers to know where you are? ;D ;D ;D

@timber,
unsolicited advice, if i have your talent and skills and tools in woodworking, i would have come out with DIY speakers.....
you are very talented working with woods.....
you have jojod to back you up with the cross-overs....
i suggest you touch bases with lobejbl, jerry dela rosa from the other forum(WS) and see his set-up and you will get a lot of ideas....
I was interested in making one before, but with so much good diy'ers in the field I don't think I need to dip my fingers in... besides I'm so busy with what I'm doing now that I can hardly do anything else.

btw, some people do find music and its presentation priceless, maybe that is why you can't count them  ;D unlike money which you can count, earn and burn, speakers and its system can give you countless hours of satisfaction with less cost per use...

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 04:11 PM »
^the audio hobby can surely use your talents should you decide to jump in....there is room for everyone....because each one of us is unique.....

think wooden horns...... ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #48 on: Jun 09, 2011 at 06:26 PM »
Psychic Mel, tumpak ka jan. isang maliit na Victor ulet ;D, SX-100.using it if mood dictates for a not so big (sound)   low powered/nearfield listening. :). pakinggan naten, pag napasyal ka...bring those magic chokes ;D .ako bahala sa chibog.minsan, pag masarap ang chibog,nakakaganda rin ng tunog ;D
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://homepage3.nifty.com/stonetechno/topic-12.html

para di naman OT:
regarding SQ quality of speaker, I try to listen for overall sound balance of the speaker drivers( low, mid & highs) and again listen for the total sound integration/presentation. It would help if you listen to a familiar source material of your choice, bring your own cds, for example. Again, if the price is ok as well as the SQ, price performance ratio ba tawag dun, panalo na. Again, trust and clean your ears. :)

Text text tayo.

Regarding speaker selection, I check on the specs first, read reviews, listen to the speaker again and again, budget money before I make the purchase.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2011 at 06:29 PM by rascal101 »

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #49 on: Jun 10, 2011 at 07:55 AM »
Budget.......

One thing I'm considering is fair market price of  AV gears. Just like Polk's RTi A7, 499.95 dollrs per piece at amazon, locally naman, I got an offer, as low as 42k+ per pair, so, pwede. mostly US madebrand speakers ay may maraming local dealers kaya may price competition. Other speakers, like some europeans, hirap hanapin ang price in the international market, tapos, you'll find only one dealer in the pinas, di mo na tuloy alam kung fair ba yung price na ibinibigay sa iyo, or overpriced. Do I really get my money's worth? Marantz SR5005 in amazon is 479USD and up, dito sa atin, 34k and up, pwede na ba yan?, magdadalawang isip ka siguro, considering shipment, handling, taxes and others, maaaring pwede na. pero sana, bababa pa.

Ito ay sa akin lang naman, my findings in my 2 months old planning of an HT set up
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011 at 09:39 AM by sovrain »
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 10, 2011 at 08:25 AM »
Payo ko para sa naghahanap palang, mas ok kung basa basa ka muna tapos magsawa kang mag-audition sa shops and friends' setup lalo na kung malaki ang budget. This way, makakapagmuni-muni kang mabuti. Meantime, mag portable ka muna.  ;)

Para kang kakain ng lunch o dinner... kailangan may masarap na ulam, inumin, panghimagas, ambiance at kasama.

You need a good (matching) amp, speakers, interconnects, well treated room, good conversation and something to eat & drink.  :)

Kaya ako satisfied na sa chop-chop setup kasi kung seseryosohin ko dapat lagi akong may karayum at sinulid pangsulsi sa butas kong bulsa.  :D

I agree.  I started that way.  In addition to sir praktikal advice, it's also better to learn from people who really knows how to listen or have ears familiar with various instruments' sounds/timbre...professional musicians.  Kapag marunong ka ng makining, marunong ka na din bumili ng tamang audio gears regardless of brand, price etc.  But as per my experience,  I ended up in D.I.Y gears.  Iba kasi kapag ikaw ang nagtitimpla o custom made and timplada.  :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #51 on: Jun 26, 2011 at 01:45 AM »
For me sir, budget, Sq, then the usage, pang ht ba o pang pure audio. If pang audio lang, type of music that you want. May  speakers na well defined ang high and mids, pero ok lang ang bass, merong all arounder pero may masasakripisyo, bka soundstaging or clarity or etc etc. Sensitivity is also a factor, kse dito ka magbabase ng amps mo. Kung dyns ka o b&w, bka kailangan mo ng beefier na amp. Kung all tube setup ka dapat high sensitivity pra ok. kya if your going pure audio, lalo na analog pa, invest in a very decent pair. You will not regret it. ;D ;D naudition mo na b ung dalquist dq8 ni noli? Sweet sounding ba ang hanap mo? Its The harbeth of sir timber. Tanong  nten bka pwede mapakinggan ;D ;D you may want also to listen the lsa series  and vs lineup of sir jack, kya lang pag harbeth, vs, sonus, dyns, nautilus, and the likes medyo masakit sa bulsa na. But if you can afford it then get one.

WCH CM U?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM »
if SQ is ok and meron at kaya ng budget, buy. check if may space paglagyan...
again, if SQ is ok at meron ulet disposable budget, buy. check if may space pang paglagyan...
round and round it goes.paulet ulet lan, in my case till wla ng mapaglagyan :D

thats me ;D.
many flavors to choose and enjoy.iba iba lan sound characters.
i also buy for keeps, never bothered with resales.
if magipit/ need to dispose, try sell fairly, if somebody is interested..

hey Don, thanks by the way for inviting me and Rene into your home....the food was nice....you are indeed blessed to have a wife that supports your hobby.....if i were in your same situtation, my wifey would have thrown me out of the house.... :'( ;D

i have never seen such a huge collection of audio gears in a home setting.....and you keep on adding up...you are truly a collector....

you have mang rod, adrew sevilla, and edrel's creations....maybe i forgot to mention another, sorry....

now i understand where you are coming from when you say
i also buy for keeps, never bothered with resales

you can start with your traffo building and that will make you a true blooded diy'er....
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM by TonyT »

Offline mhav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM »
para sakin una kong titignan is ang specs ng speaker 2nd analyzing if the speaker is fit to my system 3rd is the price 4th is the SQ and lastly the brand..hndi ko nman sa sinisiraan ang ibang brands pero aminin man ntin o hndi pero may ibang model ng brand ang sablay eventhough some of it (not performing well) and can beat by other competitive brands or they are better than the other