Author Topic: Imported ONKYO HTS5400 worth the risk?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline arudorin

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Imported ONKYO HTS5400 worth the risk?
« on: Sep 06, 2011 at 09:41 PM »
Hi guys,

Just talked to my favorite client (freight-forwarder) about importing high-end electronic items.
I'm currently eyeing for the ONKYO HT-S5400 (7.1 ch) so i asked the operations manager for a door to door quote and the discussion just got really interesting.

PROS:
1. What's great is the total cost of the whole system (HT-S5400) would be around 25K to 26K (you could only get the HT-S3400 at that price) and considering this is one big package the quote is very reasonable.

2. I get to persuade him to give me a free return package if ever i got a lemon unit! (something like a homage for auditors) wahahaha!  ;D

CONS:
1. Warranty issues, anyways i wouldn't expect something this pricey to be wrecked before it turns 1 year old! hehe.  :D

2. 110V only.. atleast there's an immediate remedy.. the good-old heavy duty adapter from your local hardware..  ;D

3. 30 to 45 days shipping and money down kaagad.. my ears almost bleed when i heard that from him.. haha  ;D it must be 44 grueling sleepless nights.. arrrgh!  :-\

The question is:
Is it worth take the risk for a better deal? it's like around 10k difference compared to local shops..
convenience or savings??? it's like asking yourself to take a jeep or taxi??? both can get you to your desired location but doesn't cost you the same..  ???
"quality in everything we do"

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Imported ONKYO HTS5400 worth the risk?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 10:13 PM »
for a 10k difference,for me it's worth the risk.for that 10k puede ka na magpasabay ng blu ray player and some bd titles.

Offline arudorin

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 11:04 PM »
thanks bro! actually i'm kinda willing to take the risk.. as they say "the higher the risk, the higher the returns" anyway it's fully covered by insurance.. but the very looooong wait i'm not so sure ... hehe  ;D
"quality in everything we do"

Offline reyhan12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM »
I've been using freight forwarding to buy electronics from the US for years.
-42" LCD TV
-6 console systems
-a whole lot of cellphones
-headphones, earphones, mp3 players
-and a whole lot of little gadgets

and never had a lemon unit on any of them. and I'm not as lucky as you with free returns. the risk is really small. I risk buying stuff from the US for just 1-2k so 10k is a no brainer for me.

Offline boogel

• Collector
  • i love the 70s...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 01:28 AM »
magandang price na yan sir considering it sells for about $500 + tax (php24k) dito sa states... baka may source sila dito na mura kaya mababa ang quote sa'yo... i have the little brother of th-s5400 which is the ht-s3300, sulit na sulit na htib!

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 01:30 AM »
Bro,
 am in the market for a receiver and model below is $400 at amazon. So @45 exch. Rate , it's 18k did I miss something sa cost or is his fee the difference?

I agree shipping them door tp door is low risk, given the stricter returns Q/a standards and returns policy sa  retail biz nila.

Pag maganda rates , pasabay :)
Tia

Hi guys,

Just talked to my favorite client (freight-forwarder) about importing high-end electronic items.
I'm currently eyeing for the ONKYO HT-S5400 (7.1 ch) so i asked the operations manager for a door to door quote and the discussion just got really interesting.

PROS:
1. What's great is the total cost of the whole system (HT-S5400) would be around 25K to 26K (you could only get the HT-S3400 at that price) and considering this is one big package the quote is very reasonable.

2. I get to persuade him to give me a free return package if ever i got a lemon unit! (something like a homage for auditors) wahahaha!  ;D

CONS:
1. Warranty issues, anyways i wouldn't expect something this pricey to be wrecked before it turns 1 year old! hehe.  :D

2. 110V only.. atleast there's an immediate remedy.. the good-old heavy duty adapter from your local hardware..  ;D

3. 30 to 45 days shipping and money down kaagad.. my ears almost bleed when i heard that from him.. haha  ;D it must be 44 grueling sleepless nights.. arrrgh!  :-\

The question is:
Is it worth take the risk for a better deal? it's like around 10k difference compared to local shops..
convenience or savings??? it's like asking yourself to take a jeep or taxi??? both can get you to your desired location but doesn't cost you the same..  ???
toy

Offline mcjefferson

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 07:40 PM »
good buy na yan sir, i got my hts5300 at amazon i believed its the last batch for that model kaya may kalakihan ang discount ;D.
LG 47LA7400 / SAM UA40EH5000
Onkyo HT-S5300 / A-922M stereo set 
Polk RTI A3 / dsw pro 400
PS3

Offline h1ko

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2011 at 09:53 PM »
Sir pwede ba malaman kung anu gamit mong freight forwarder sa US?   :)

Offline reyhan12

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 02:21 PM »
I used my-shoppingbox.com. Right now I'm looking for a new one. They've just increased their rates and are no longer accepting packages that have lithium batteries.

Offline dyao023

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
Bro, were you able to do this? I plan to do the same sana and would like to ask for your help on which freight-forwarder to work with.

TIA!

Hi guys,

PROS:

CONS:

The question is:

Offline jlaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
matagal na gusto kong bumili ng s5400 or even just the s3400. i always check sa amazon. i chanced upon the s5400 na around 320USD lang. i would have bought it pero nung nagpaqoute kc ako sa pobox sinabi ko yung size dimensions ng s5400, ang qoute sakin ay 130USD. parang ang labo naman, mahal. saka yung buong box daw na ang i-ship. e wala ng balot pa. pano kung pag initan sa customs?

Offline dyao023

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 06:05 PM »
matagal na gusto kong bumili ng s5400 or even just the s3400. i always check sa amazon. i chanced upon the s5400 na around 320USD lang. i would have bought it pero nung nagpaqoute kc ako sa pobox sinabi ko yung size dimensions ng s5400, ang qoute sakin ay 130USD. parang ang labo naman, mahal. saka yung buong box daw na ang i-ship. e wala ng balot pa. pano kung pag initan sa customs?

Thanks for sharing, I also got the same quote at $130 and Amazon is currently selling this at $360. Price difference with buying locally is around Php17k.  I think it's still worth the risk, but I'm still thinking about it hehehe. As for the customs, I think the freight forwarder should carry that risk since all our items are insured.

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 02:55 AM »
may sale ng HT-5405B dito sa middle east, nasa 23thou.... ;D they also have the 7.1 channel, with free onkyo dvd player (i forgot the model/unit)...here's some photo's..

7.1 channel...(don't know the model number)

these are new...i don't know the price there sa pinas...to send the 5405 via airfreight will cost around 3thou.don't know about the 7.1 (hindi ko kasi alam kung gaano kabigat) .have sent several onkyo units including speakers, so far wala naman naging problema....
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012 at 03:18 AM by defcon3 »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 03:11 AM »
mas mura pa sa S3400! getchingin na yan!  ;D

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 03:15 AM »
mas mura pa sa S3400! getchingin na yan!  ;D

magkano ba sir ang price ng 5405 dyan?

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 03:29 AM »
I didnt read the whole thread but did you already consider the shipping price?

And you need at least 1000watts step down transformer (a good brand) cost about 4K...

If the unit conked out, are you patient enough to ship back (how much will be the cost) and wait for a considerably long time to return the unit back to you (shipping fees again). Well, you can always have the unit be repaired here.

Worth the risk? To me, no. I can always source here a good deal items, bnew or not, but still with manufacturer's warranty.

So technically for 30K including the transformer... I can get a good receiver for about 15K, 8K for way way BETTER fronts that those in the pics, 5K for center and surround... I still have 2K for interconnects and some amount I may need to save to buy a decent sub-woofer of my choice. 

But its just me.

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 03:59 AM »
magkano ba sir ang price ng 5405 dyan?

no idea but a 3400 costs 25K.

but Philander is right. nawala sa isip ko yung power requirement nung device,warranty etc. total deal breaker. baka nga same lang din maging cost if ever.  :P

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 04:06 AM »
most probably baka nasa 30thou.
true, may positive and negative draw back pag sa labas ng pinas oorder. dito kc sa middle east, 220v 50/60hz ang mga unit na nakuha/nabili ko except ung sa sc2 (50hz), thou it doesnt have any issue naman sa freq sa pinas. :)

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 03:20 PM »
Last quote I got from a popular audio store located in Shangri-La Mall was 32.5k.  But that was a few months ago, baka nagbaba na sila ng price since then.

I've been eyeing the 5405 for months now, but I'm quite hesitant to buy just yet because I might ditch it again for another HTIB, hehehe
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline nevans08

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2012 at 04:52 PM »
may sale ng HT-5405B dito sa middle east, nasa 23thou.... ;D they also have the 7.1 channel, with free onkyo dvd player (i forgot the model/unit)...here's some photo's..

7.1 channel...(don't know the model number)

these are new...i don't know the price there sa pinas...to send the 5405 via airfreight will cost around 3thou.don't know about the 7.1 (hindi ko kasi alam kung gaano kabigat) .have sent several onkyo units including speakers, so far wala naman naging problema....

hi sir, mukhang sa ALGHANIM KUWAIT yan ah..hehe.. san ka po banda sa kuwait?