Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 645 times)

Offline apn0506

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« on: Sep 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM »
Hi! I'm planning to purchase a Flat Panel this coming November. I'm currently doing my research on what kind of flat panel I need to purchase whether LCD or LED and Sir Vic was able to provide me with competitive prices. The flat panel will be intended for 75% cable and 25% DVD or CD movies. My budget is a maximum of 35K and looking between 32" and 40". Please help me answer the following questions so that it can help me decide. :) I did my research here in the forums as well but due to some technical terms used, I most of the time get confused. :-[

1. What are the differences LCD and LED (aside from the ccfl and led thingy)?
2. Is true that when LCD gets broken it can't be repaired while LED can be repaired?
3. What's the use of refresh rate? What's the minimum for it?
4. Which last longer, LED or LCD?
5. I've read from the forum here that the top flat panel manufacturer are LG and Panny, how true is that?
6. Is there a big difference between the price of a edge-lit and back-lit LED?
7. The flat panel will be placed in my living room (which is very lit especially in the afternoon and not airconditioned), does it matter between LED and LCD?

TIA to all!  :)

Offline scorpionzero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
Hi! I'm planning to purchase a Flat Panel this coming November. I'm currently doing my research on what kind of flat panel I need to purchase whether LCD or LED and Sir Vic was able to provide me with competitive prices. The flat panel will be intended for 75% cable and 25% DVD or CD movies. My budget is a maximum of 35K and looking between 32" and 40". Please help me answer the following questions so that it can help me decide. :) I did my research here in the forums as well but due to some technical terms used, I most of the time get confused. :-[

1. What are the differences LCD and LED (aside from the ccfl and led thingy)?
2. Is true that when LCD gets broken it can't be repaired while LED can be repaired?
3. What's the use of refresh rate? What's the minimum for it?
4. Which last longer, LED or LCD?
5. I've read from the forum here that the top flat panel manufacturer are LG and Panny, how true is that?
6. Is there a big difference between the price of a edge-lit and back-lit LED?
7. The flat panel will be placed in my living room (which is very lit especially in the afternoon and not airconditioned), does it matter between LED and LCD?

TIA to all!  :)

1.i read on AVforums that LED has better  and truer whites than LCD, LED also has a wider colour gamut than LCD.

2.not sure, this is the least that you should take into account when thinking which TV to buy.

3.refresh rate is the number of times the picture is displayed per second, ntsc has 60hz for minimum while pal has 50hz, the higher the better and less blur.

4.manufacturers are marketing them to be equal in lifespan.

5.not sure about that, but CNET mostly favors samsung and sony in their reviews when it comes to LCD and LED. (go with sony :P)

6.edge-lit is cheaper by a mile compare to local dimming LED.

7.either of the two can perform well

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM »
apn0506, afaik, LED as applied to flat TV's is a type of backlighting for LCD TV's that's better than the older tech flourescent backlighting.  If budget allows, I'd get an LED backlit LCD TV (with local dimming) as against the aforementioned older tech flourescent backlit LCD TV's (meron pa ba neto?  :)) or LED edge-lit ones.  
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline apn0506

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 05:20 AM »
@scorpionzero/@lithium_deuteride - Thank you so much for the advice. I will take note of those. :) :)