Author Topic: Toshiba RPTV  (Read 22354 times)

Offline technogeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • You're so hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Toshiba RPTV
« Reply #60 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 03:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip Tetablanco. This is the first time I have heard of the signal amplifier, and I will check it out. Is it safe for the TV?

Offline luther

• Collector
  • protegetech.org rav4world.com tsikot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 07:17 AM »
thanks for the warning about that satellite TV subscription, am seriously contemplating on that getting that one...

do you know how this cable tv amplifier works?  para ba itong booster ng tubig?  ;D ;D ;D yung ibang naka cable lalabo ang signal? hhehe...

i'll check it out at radio shack later, sa baba lang ng opisina yun eh...

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: Jul 20, 2002 at 12:13 AM »
A Cable TV amp would yield the best results if poor TV picture quality is caused by weak cable signals.  I don't think that using this amp would harm your TV since you can adjust the output signal strength to achieve optimum viewing results.  In any case, the Radio Shack outlet where I bought my amp (beside the Rustans Supermarket at Power Plant Rockwell) generously offered a 7-day money-back guarantee if I wasn't completely satisfied.  Since my Destiny cable viewing vastly improved (both sound and image), I'm not making the trip back to Rockwell...

;D

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 20, 2002 at 12:30 AM »

A Cable TV amp would yield the best results if poor TV picture quality is caused by weak cable signals.  I don't think that using this amp would harm your TV since you can adjust the output signal strength to achieve optimum viewing results.  In any case, the Radio Shack outlet where I bought my amp (beside the Rustans Supermarket at Power Plant Rockwell) generously offered a 7-day money-back guarantee if I wasn't completely satisfied.  Since my Destiny cable viewing vastly improved (both sound and image), I'm not making the trip back to Rockwell...

;D

Off topic

I was able to get a Cable TV amp from Deeco for only 580. Check it out.

Offline tetablanco

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #64 on: Jul 20, 2002 at 01:27 AM »
Does the Deeco amp reach all the way to 26dB too?

Offline USP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a wallaby...
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 20, 2002 at 01:57 AM »
I used to get less than ideal reception on my tv too.  I just asked my cable company to correct the weak signal.  They have area amplifiers which can be adjusted to boost signals in any particular area.  The field technicians just turned some dials at the nearest amplifier and i've had great reception since.

Maybe this can save you a few bucks.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #66 on: Jul 20, 2002 at 02:45 AM »
Well, another source of weak signals/bad reception from your cable source is the use of multiple splitters inside the house.  Try to refrain from using this if you don't want to spend money on cable boosters or amplifiers.  

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 09:41 PM »
getting off topic here :)

you guys may want to start a new thread, like "getting a better cable signal" or just continue your discussion on this thread cable signal or tv?

bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Aqua 2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi There!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 10:51 PM »
I'm about to buy a Widescreen RPTV and choosing between Pioneer or Toshiba.  Since the two are at par with its performance and durability. I would like to know if Toshiba has a reliable service center here and if parts are available to support RPTV's? If yes, may I know name and contact number. Many thanks!

Aqua 2

Offline Kups

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 11:38 AM »
Aqua2

I think d Toshiba model they're talking about here is the US model.  Ala yata authorize service center d2 for this model.  However, listening room gumagawa nito.  May technician sila.

You also need to calibrate this from time to time

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 12:19 PM »
[ was able to get a Cable TV amp from Deeco for only 580. Check it out. /quote]

Levi,
saan Deeco branch  mo nabili ang cable TV amp. Sorry , off topic na nga eto.

Offline Roadster

• Collector
  • Cowabunga!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 06, 2002 at 04:09 PM »
People,

There is an ongoing exhibit at SM Megamall on the
ground floor of building B of Toshiba RPTVs and
direct view TVs in cooperation with Sm appliance
center. I just came from there and obtained
their brochures which indicated Goldway Technology
Inc. as distributor. They have an ongoing promo
with Citibank cards. 6 months 0% intererest. On
display is a 50A7G priced at 120T without progressive
scan. The latest models with progressive scans are
more expensive. If you pay cash they will give you
a free slim type DVD player and a 21' Toshiba tv free!
If you pay by Citibank card you get an older model Toshiba DVD player. The biggest direct view tube is
the 29" 29AZ5DE, multi system, auto volt, Flat super
crystal tube.

Roadster

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 01, 2002 at 10:38 AM »
For those who are looking for a Toshiba RPTV.  I saw a 43" unit (model #TP-43H60) at Western Festival Mall selling for P76920.00.  You guys want to check it out.

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 10:58 AM »
Nirvblakr,

Is this the Tosh RPTV unit that looks used and with a lot of scratches? I remember seeing one before and it looked ugly.

I went to Listening in Style last weekend to audition several Tosh WS HD RPTV and got some quotes from the store. Are there other stores that sell these same units so I can compare prices?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 04, 2002 at 06:16 AM »
banzai-  yup that's the one.  it is either an old model or maybe because of the condition of the unit that's why they are selling it for a low price.  i wasn't able to audition the video quality though

Offline ricoled

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Oct 20, 2002 at 07:19 PM »
Banzai - I'm also looking around for a Toshiba WS HD RPTV.  Have you encountered the 57H81 and how much was it going for?  Are the price differences between the H81 and the HX81 close?   thanks :)

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 21, 2002 at 01:37 PM »
ricoled

I auditioned a 50H81 Tosh WS HD RPTV at Listening in Style last month and the cost was P 135,000. I'm not sure if they have the 57H81. The guy there told me that they will have the H82 series this December and would probably cost a few thousand pesos more.

I don't know the difference between H81 & HX81, but I know the H81 is not DVI upgradable while the H82 is. The new HDX82 series is DVI ready but I have heard a lot of horror stories with this latest model from Toshiba in the US. I was planning to get the 50H82 this December, but I will postpone till next year when the 50HDX82 becomes more reliable.

Offline ricoled

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 22, 2002 at 06:55 AM »
I'm confused as well on the differences between H81, HX81, HX82, etc.   I did select a 57HX81 which cost a little bit more (15K) than the H81 that it replaced.    

I've been to Listening in Style at MegaMall but 50" was their largest Toshiba WS.  I find that Sights and Sounds offers one of the lowest prices for these TVs.

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 01:14 PM »
After all these bomb threats have ended, I will drop by Sights and Sounds to compare prices and audition these RPTVs.

Offline ricoled

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 23, 2002 at 11:52 PM »

Sights and Sounds quoted 155K for the 57H81 which is a pretty good price.  Too bad, no promos available.  

You mentioned about differences in Toshiba models as DVI-ready.  What is DVI and is it a major  feature that we should have in a TV?                              

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 24, 2002 at 01:14 PM »
For info on DVI, try this web article.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/arm/topics/vectors_2000-dvi.htm

There's a lot of debate on the practical use of DVI, as well as DVI vs firewire. Some say DVI is non-sense while other say that you get better quality with DVI input for digital displays.

If DVI becomes a standard, I would want my RPTV to have this option.

Offline technogeek

• Collector
  • You're so hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 25, 2002 at 03:31 PM »
Too bad I purchased my RPTV just before they introduced DVI.
From the link supplied by banzai, I can see though that DVI has got a lot to do with PC to monitor interface for the present, eliminating the need for two step conversion of digital to analog to digital. It allows digital to digital, therefore no unnecessary loss in resolution.. It also talks about possible adoption in receiving HDTV signals from an HDTV box.
Oh well.... I don't use my RPTV with my computer or video game console anyway, and we are eons away from HDTV broadcasting here in the Philippines. Enjoy na lang muna ng DVD/home theater with no DVI.

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 27, 2002 at 07:01 PM »
If the price difference between a DVI ready RPTV is unreasonably high compared to a non-DVI ready one considering that the benefits of DVI are not clear, I'll just buy the 50H82.

But if more practical benefits come up later, I'll definitely wait for the HDX series.

Offline banzai

• Collector
  • Forth Eorlingas!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Nov 02, 2002 at 06:11 PM »
I just auditioned a Toshiba 57HDX82 RPTV at AVDI this morning. The set is very new that the box where the TV came from is still outside the store.

It has not yet been calibrated since it was just put on display a couple of days ago. However, the picture quality OTB seems decent although the guy at the shop did point out some bowing on the top horizontal lines.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 02:48 AM »
For info on DVI, try this web article.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/arm/topics/vectors_2000-dvi.htm

There's a lot of debate on the practical use of DVI, as well as DVI vs firewire. Some say DVI is non-sense while other say that you get better quality with DVI input for digital displays.

If DVI becomes a standard, I would want my RPTV to have this option.

A DVI connector is for viewing digital programming; to record a digital program in a digital format, users will also need what is known as an IEEE 1394, or FireWire, plug to connect the TV and the recorder.

The digital FireWire connection will allow program providers to restrict the number of times that a program can be recorded. Under the agreement, HDTV programs from network broadcasters sent through cable or satellite companies will be completely unrestricted and recordable. Subscribers to pay services like HBO could be restricted from making more than one copy of programs from those services.

While the agreement allows program providers to prevent any recording of pay-per-view or video-on-demand programs, users of hard-disk-based recorders like TiVo would be allowed to record and then watch such a program up to 90 minutes later.

You can read the full article at Pact Lifts an Obstacle to HDTV Transition

I do wonder when products with this feature will hit the streets... I'd be keen to get a plasma-based HDTV once a mid-range set goes below the 200K price barrier.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2003 at 02:52 AM »
Too bad I purchased my RPTV just before they introduced DVI.
From the link supplied by banzai, I can see though that DVI has got a lot to do with PC to monitor interface for the present, eliminating the need for two step conversion of digital to analog to digital. It allows digital to digital, therefore no unnecessary loss in resolution.. It also talks about possible adoption in receiving HDTV signals from an HDTV box.
Oh well.... I don't use my RPTV with my computer or video game console anyway, and we are eons away from HDTV broadcasting here in the Philippines. Enjoy na lang muna ng DVD/home theater with no DVI.
Most HDTVs I've seen use VGA interface. Video cards with DVIs are really rare and I wouldn't suggest using ur RPTV as a computer monitor as it doesnt have the refinement and precision of a dedicated computer display.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 04, 2003 at 05:18 PM »
dvi used to be quite rare but theyre starting to become commonplace. most of the latest gen of vid cards offer multiple rgb/dvi outputs and in some cases, multiple dvi and no rgb outputs.

but dont fret, techno, ur rptv with rgb output is still very much useful. last time i checked dvi is still slugging it out with firewire for connection of choice in newer HDTVs.

Most HDTVs I've seen use VGA interface. Video cards with DVIs are really rare and I wouldn't suggest using ur RPTV as a computer monitor as it doesnt have the refinement and precision of a dedicated computer display.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Toshiba RPTV
« Reply #87 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 11:11 AM »
i recently acquired a 55 incher Toshiba RPTV (second hand) which was bought at listening in megamall
model number TN55V71, HDTV-ready...

my question...what is the proper distance between TV and the sweet spot (aka the couch)

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
my question...what is the proper distance between TV and the sweet spot (aka the couch)

Look at this chart:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/tv_faq.html#2

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 09:59 AM »
bought the 43" TOSHIBA rptv...

3 months pa lang sira na...
toshiba & their service center are giving me the run around...
pag dipa nila ginawa or pinalitan yung mainboard or unit...
diko babayaran yung citibank ko...tutal 12 months to pay yun...hehehe...
new year's resolution is NEVER to buy any TOSHIBA product...
hindi ayowsss...
 >:(