Author Topic: audio upgrade - 6 ohms speakers  (Read 749 times)

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
audio upgrade - 6 ohms speakers
« on: Oct 12, 2011 at 05:17 PM »
i was listing down this afternoon the possible replacement of my Tannoy Fusion 3, 2 channel set-up.  i had in my list: b&w, MA and PSB.  i noticed when i upgrade my speakers to mid-level: Rx1, Rx2, Image T5 the Nominal Impedance changes from 8 to 6.  i have two amps: (1) sr heac07 (vaccum tube ) with 8 ohms and 4 ohms speaker in (2) nad 326bee with + and - speaker in "minimum speaker impedance 4 ohms"

my questions are (1) for vaccum tube where do i put the positive 8 ohms or 4 ohms? (2) for nad 326, since it has one positive in, what's the difference using between an 8 ohms speaker vs a 6 ohms speaker?

pa-advice naman mga master guru.

tia...   ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline edison

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: audio upgrade - 6 ohms speakers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2011 at 04:27 PM »
The general rule I think is to match the amplifier impedance with the speaker impedance for a perfect match,  however some amplifier can accept 4 ohms impedance (this is better than amplifier that can accept only 8 ohms). In your question, you can connect it in the 4 ohms terminal of your amp since your speaker is 6 ohms the amp can easily run on your 6 ohms impedance speaker. In the tube amp, if you connect it to the 8 ohms terminal, your amp will heat-up faster than normal. But in the 4 ohms terminal, it can easily drive your 6 ohms speaker.

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: audio upgrade - 6 ohms speakers
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM »
thanks sir Edison!!!

will keep that in mind, cheers...   :D  :D  :D