Author Topic: Alnico Fullrange For Adults Only<<<<  (Read 51899 times)

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Alnico Fullrange For Adults Only<<<<
« Reply #210 on: Sep 04, 2012 at 09:16 AM »

Ganda sir Trod ng creation nyo...!  :o  :o  :o 

wish one day I could have chance to build as this....  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline sound garden

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #211 on: Sep 04, 2012 at 10:58 AM »
Amazing creation Brader Trod.  ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2012 at 11:01 AM by sound garden »
Clarity, detail, accuracy, and realism are unmatched....

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #212 on: Sep 05, 2012 at 06:32 AM »
Amazing creation Brader Trod.  ;D ;D 
brader gusto ko rin ng ganyan kaso mukhang di kasya sa kwarto ko, di nga magkasya sa picture eh! ;D

Offline trod93

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Sep 05, 2012 at 09:06 AM »
Thanks to all who appreciated the design. I've always been fascinated with OBs and, finally, after making one, everything that's been said about them is true. My design really needs a fairly sized room. They are 6 feet from my back wall and 4 feet from my side walls. But, OBs with large baffles will need lesser space coz you have to place them close to the corners so you can generate more bass. But, still, you might need bigger drivers to get decent bass.

For a single amp setup, this the passive crossover Mang Rolly and I collaborated on. Actually, it can be used for single or bi-amp setup. These will eliminate the use of an electronic crossover which is more expensive.

The trannies actually are just modified inductors to cut signal loss. One for the woofer at 125hz down and another for the fr, upwards naman. The crossovers are huge, weighing about 10 lbs each. An attenuator is also installed for flexibility in tuning them with the drivers. I still need to do a lot of tweaking to get a seamless integration of both drivers.

I'll post pics again once these are finished.

Thanks again.

Offline skinhead

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Sep 05, 2012 at 03:59 PM »
Nice creation Sir Tony! :)
“Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery.
  None but ourselves can free our minds.”

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Sep 06, 2012 at 06:24 AM »
Hi to all.

Hope ok lang if I share my latest fr creation. No need for more introduction on this drivers, pinasikat na ni Ramon ang mga ito. I wanted an OB for a long time so when I got the chance to get a pair of these AN Super 8s, i thought, these will be a good project for one. I haven't seen ANs in OB yet.

I've done a lot of adjustments before I got the sound I want. I added wings at the back to increase the mid bass pero kulang pa rin. So, I decided to tinker on my preamp as well. I increased the values of the Mundorf caps on the output signal path from 0.47uf to 0.82uf. Likewise, I added another output with Solen 1.0uf caps. Now I have 2 flavors to choose from - 0.82uf for more a detailed presentation and 1.0uf for a wider soundstage. I love both. These also comes handy in a bi-amp configuration.

Since these are OBs, it was very difficult to optimize their placement. Took me 3 nights to finally get it right. I also added a pair of up-firing horn tweeters for background ambient highs. These add air and texture to the sound. Anyway, they are now fully tuned and I'm enjoying every bit of them. Compared to my previous horn build, I'll say, I love these more than the former. The sound is very close to a "live" performance. Nakakakilabot paminsan.

The front will be finished in 2-tone veneer, making it look like a 1.5" solid piece of hardwood and the back in piano gloss black. These were supposedly for the WS DIY Challenge, but, after testing them with a passive crossover, I found that a SET amp will have a hard time powering them up. Sasablay lang kami ni tukayong tonyt. I will build something similar to these for the event, but, with more efficient vintage drivers.

Thanks
Nice craftsmanship. You have good ears bro.Tony R.  I know you will get the proper SQ for that. ;)  More power to you.  Keep it up. :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline xtian_lugz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Sep 06, 2012 at 08:18 AM »
Thanks to all who appreciated the design. I've always been fascinated with OBs and, finally, after making one, everything that's been said about them is true. My design really needs a fairly sized room. They are 6 feet from my back wall and 4 feet from my side walls. But, OBs with large baffles will need lesser space coz you have to place them close to the corners so you can generate more bass. But, still, you might need bigger drivers to get decent bass.

For a single amp setup, this the passive crossover Mang Rolly and I collaborated on. Actually, it can be used for single or bi-amp setup. These will eliminate the use of an electronic crossover which is more expensive.

The trannies actually are just modified inductors to cut signal loss. One for the woofer at 125hz down and another for the fr, upwards naman. The crossovers are huge, weighing about 10 lbs each. An attenuator is also installed for flexibility in tuning them with the drivers. I still need to do a lot of tweaking to get a seamless integration of both drivers.

I'll post pics again once these are finished.

Thanks again.

I'd this similar to decware gizmo? This is used to optimize FR drivers it would eliminate the midrange shout and will also enhance the LF and HF to make it more sound balanced..

Eto un...
http://www.decware.com/gizmo.pdf
In God we trust!

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Oct 09, 2012 at 05:42 PM »
Thanks Ramon.

Carlo: Not exactly the same as the Decware, but, it's capable of doing the same, with a few more extra adjustments.

The Resurrected Sony 4" full-range driver.

I experimented on these drivers for a long time. I came up with a few variants for it, TL bookshelf, the Zigmahornet and the Horizigma. The latest one is the best. I used almost all the tweaks I know on baffle making and driver modifications on this one.

This is the plastic version of the Sony fr. It has a wider bandwidth than the paper coned version because of the whizzer cone. Still, I found it lacking in the high frequencies. Solution: stiffen the whizzer cone by applying a mixture of white glue and water over it. Adding a phase plug (hand-carved hardwood) will make it even sound better. I also damped the basket braces of the frame using blu-tack.

The cabinet measures 36" tall. It has a 6 foot folded pipe, a foot longer than on the Zigmahornet. This extended the bass down to 40hz. Maybe even lower. Like in my last previous builds, I also installed diffusers behind the driver.

I experimented on the diffraction effect on baffles. I positioned it an inch below the driver. This really helped in improving the imaging.

Pasensya na medyo blurry ang pic. Nginig na kamay ko kakagamit ng power tools.

Thanks for looking.

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Oct 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
Thanks Ramon.

Carlo: Not exactly the same as the Decware, but, it's capable of doing the same, with a few more extra adjustments.

I experimented on these drivers for a long time. I came up with a few variants for it, TL bookshelf, the Zigmahornet and the Horizigma. The latest one is the best. I used almost all the tweaks I know on baffle making and driver modifications on this one.

This is the plastic version of the Sony fr. It has a wider bandwidth than the paper coned version because of the whizzer cone. Still, I found it lacking in the high frequencies. Solution: stiffen the whizzer cone by applying a mixture of white glue and water over it. Adding a phase plug (hand-carved hardwood) will make it even sound better. I also damped the basket braces of the frame using blu-tack.

The cabinet measures 36" tall. It has a 6 foot folded pipe, a foot longer than on the Zigmahornet. This extended the bass down to 40hz. Maybe even lower. Like in my last previous builds, I also installed diffusers behind the driver.

I experimented on the diffraction effect on baffles. I positioned it an inch below the driver. This really helped in improving the imaging.

Thanks for looking.

Experimenting really helps.  At least with Sony FRange, many people who love natural music but with a tight budget will go for this.  Dayton DTA 100a, Dayton DTA 1, SMSL SA 36a, SMSL SA S1, Topping TP10 and TP20 are some of the good sounding tripath to match this kind of speakers.  Jazz, Ballad, opera..instrumental and acoustic session music are good on this kind of speakers.

More power bro.Tony R. 
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 09:48 PM »
Thanks Ramon.

Thanks for looking.

Ayos to tony ah parang lowther looking ung sony mo! Nice... Na kakamis na din mag FR ah. May mga tatapusin lang ako mga proyekto babalik ulit ako.. :)
In God we trust!

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM »
It's finally back home. I was done with the finishing just in time for the Nov HiFi show last Friday. I did not manage to test them anymore. Tony and I got a thumbs up from Francis (vintage-dog) during the Nov HiFi show last weekend. ;D ;D ;D

The finish wasn't as good as I wanted due to time constraints.

The sound of these speakers improved a lot after the finish. It's more balanced now. I hooked up my 12in woofers and it's now really fullrange. Kumpleto na talaga. Pwede na pang-disco. hehehe

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM »
It's finally back home. I was done with the finishing just in time for the Nov HiFi show last Friday. I did not manage to test them anymore. Tony and I got a thumbs up from Francis (vintage-dog) during the Nov HiFi show last weekend. ;D ;D ;D

The finish wasn't as good as I wanted due to time constraints.

The sound of these speakers improved a lot after the finish. It's more balanced now. I hooked up my 12in woofers and it's now really fullrange. Kumpleto na talaga. Pwede na pang-disco. hehehe

tukayo, napangiti natin si Francis, that is enough reward for me;D.......sa totoo lang i never imagined na kakayanin ng isang mere 4incher n kainin ang power ng EL34 pp amp......hindi ko makakalimutan yung isang visitor natin na lumapit sa akin at nagtanong kung nasaan daw yung subwoofers.....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Nov 16, 2012 at 08:14 PM »
Wow, ngayon lang ulit ako naka log in!!! Ang dami ko na agad namiss! Congrats trod93 and tonyt, im sure you have made a very good system that many will envy!!! More power to diy! More power to fullrangers!!

Offline 1great

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #223 on: Dec 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM »
Hi trod93,

Kumusta na project natin? Maganda na ba tumunog?
Comparable na ba siya sa AN?

Salamat.

Offline 1great

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Dec 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM »
Hi Tony,

Galing tumunog ng Sony FR mo.

Sana mapantayan siya ng speaker project natin na Full range + "secret tweeter".

Post ka naman first impression mo pag nabuo na.

Salamat.

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 08:18 PM »
Hindi pa tapos pero as per request from the owner, 1great, here are some pics of the fr project I'm currently working on.

This is a Hiwell 8" fr from China in a TQWT. These are huge: 10 x 17.5 x 46 (with pedestal). Initial testing was ok but needed some tweaking. Parang medyo veiled ang sound. I'll be testing them tomorrow with the new mods (diffractor/diffuser) in place. Will post review soon.

Abangan.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM »
Mukhang Lcao drivers, maganda na ah!!! Di pa tapos yan ha! ;)

Offline 1great

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Jan 04, 2013 at 11:16 PM »
Yes, they look almost the same. It is probably from the same manufacturer.

Tony,

What is the latest news on this? Does it sound okay now? Pwede na bang i-compare sa Stunning Sony mo or sa AN? ;)

Cheers! :)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 07:00 AM »
Hindi pa tapos pero as per request from the owner, 1great, here are some pics of the fr project I'm currently working on.

This is a Hiwell 8" fr from China in a TQWT. These are huge: 10 x 17.5 x 46 (with pedestal). Initial testing was ok but needed some tweaking. Parang medyo veiled ang sound. I'll be testing them tomorrow with the new mods (diffractor/diffuser) in place. Will post review soon.

Abangan.

tukayo, i will lend you my EL34 pp amp to test those speakers if you like.....;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline xtian_lugz

• Collector
  • OB-one!
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 10:41 AM »
Haaayy i miss fullrange sound.. :( want to jump in ulit sana but not now..
In God we trust!

Offline parasound

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #230 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 10:08 PM »
Pasali po mga Sir.. share ko lang itong ongoing project ko.

Baffle Design: Pioneer PAX A30

Philips AD12202 / M8 & JBL 2405

JBL 2405

Philips AD12202 / M8

Philips AD5200 & AD12202 / M8

Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Jan 09, 2013 at 09:57 PM »
Wow!!! Nice drivers!!! Im sure that sounds really good!!  ;D

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM »
Wow!!! Nice drivers!!! Im sure that sounds really good!!  ;D

Thanks Bro Shrek7..

Update photo of my project..

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #233 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM »
dadalahin yan sa vietnam? :D :D

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM »
Is the rectangular hole on the right speaker extend from the front to the back?

On the illustration, it was supposed to be a front firing port.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM »
Thanks Bro Shrek7..

Update photo of my project..
wow!!! Ang lufeeeeet! Matagal ko ng gusto ng malaking drivers kaso no room for them. Congrats sir!!!

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #236 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM »
Is the rectangular hole on the right speaker extend from the front to the back?

On the illustration, it was supposed to be a front firing port.

alex no it doesn't. the back cover is not installed yet that is why. parasound has just installed the speakers from the inside when he took pictures.

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 01:45 PM »
[/quot

Hehehe.. Umpisahan mo na din yung sa iyo. Pwede mo'ng gamitin yan sa Ampex or Philips driver mo then Altec 811 sa ibabaw..

Update # 2

fiber filling na.. Lapit na tumunog.. Hehehe

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM by parasound »

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM »
Huwaw!!!!  ;D ganda!

Offline stick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Jan 10, 2013 at 08:15 PM »