Author Topic: WD TV Live Streaming  (Read 64126 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WD TV Live Streaming
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM »
It seems that this box does not support true 24fps.

When set to "match frame rate," my 23.976 files play fine, but my 24p files have the 40-sec. stutter.  That's the opposite of the old WD's behavior, where 23.976 had the 40-sec. stutter and 24p played fine.

I have only 2 movie files with true 24p frame rates --- Blitz and Raise the Red Lantern, so the bug is not too much of a big deal for me.  Besides, motion cadence of true 24p looks fine at a 60p setting anyway.

My conclusion is that WD's firmwares (or Sigma chips?) do not distinguish between 23.976p and true 24p.  When the WD setting says "24" fps, it's actually 23.976fps rather than true 24fps.  

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM by barrister »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #31 on: Mar 27, 2012 at 01:15 AM »
Mahirap pa hanapin ang model na to sir, bago kasi.

But I got mine at Abacus (724 2908; 727 3172) at Greenhills V-Mall.

Dyan din ako bumili.  Now I'm streaming my TV shows from PC to WD TV Live via TVersity. 

My PS3 used to handle those streaming chores but recently, nagkaka hiccups na si PS3 sa streaming and I don't know why. 

Offline mav14

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Apr 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM »
Planning to buy a replacement for my current NMT (measy) to have a nicer looking GUI ;D

Is this compatible with ThumbGen? Has anyone tried it?

Offline DViant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
Re:
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012 at 08:04 AM »
It has been almost a month since the thread was last updated.

To the owners: Are you happy with it, any hiccups with the latest firmware?

I am considering buying this media player with this setup in mind.

- HDTV via HDMI
- WD TV Live via 802.11g/n to a PC running Windows Vista

Any helps is welcome.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012 at 03:04 PM »
Yes, I'm happy with it.

No problems with the latest firmware.  But don't expect perfection.  All media players have minor problems here and there.  In my case, I have no complaints about this latest WD TV version.

You should try browsing the WD TV SMP (streaming media player) official forum.  Here's a thread about the latest firmware (released May 7):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-08-17-for-WD-TV-Live-Streaming/td-p/401879

I use Windows 7, and I don't have any problems; very easy to set up.  I have no experience with Vista, but I hear it's also OK as long as you use WORKGROUP instead of HOMEGROUP:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Accessing-Network-Share-Woes/td-p/299358

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012 at 09:11 AM »
How about wireless streaming of 1080p content? Also how much did you get yours for? Hopefully below P5,000 :)

Yes, I'm happy with it.

No problems with the latest firmware.  But don't expect perfection.  All media players have minor problems here and there.  In my case, I have no complaints about this latest WD TV version.

You should try browsing the WD TV SMP (streaming media player) official forum.  Here's a thread about the latest firmware (released May 7):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-08-17-for-WD-TV-Live-Streaming/td-p/401879

I use Windows 7, and I don't have any problems; very easy to set up.  I have no experience with Vista, but I hear it's also OK as long as you use WORKGROUP instead of HOMEGROUP:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Accessing-Network-Share-Woes/td-p/299358

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM »
How about wireless streaming of 1080p content? Also how much did you get yours for? Hopefully below P5,000 :)

I've tested wireless streaming of 1080p content, and it works without hiccups. 

However, I don't trust the reliability of any wireless system, so I only watch whole movies via local disc.

Not below P5,000.  I got mine for P5,600, but I think it's only P5,200 now.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012 at 05:14 AM »
I've tested wireless streaming of 1080p content, and it works without hiccups.  

However, I don't trust the reliability of any wireless system, so I only watch whole movies via local disc.

Not below P5,000.  I got mine for P5,600, but I think it's only P5,200 now.

Thanks! I bought the WD TV Live yesterday for P4,900.

It prompted me to update the firmware from 1.04.xxx to 1.08.xx so I cannot comment on firmware older than the one released in 05/12.

Is there a way to arrange the files by time? This is how I normally watch content rather than file type or name.

I was offered a Xtreamer SideWinder3 for P5,500 but the manufacturer makes 802.11n connectivity optional. So I have to buy an antenna for P1,900.

It has a nice feature set but it overlaps my setup.

I have a dedicated Intel Atom Nettop as a file server. It allows me to run it 24/7/365 using minimum power.

Previous to this I used the first popcorn hour but quickly realized that it is only suitable for use for light single users.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 at 05:15 AM by DViant »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012 at 06:35 AM »

actually, the Xtreamer sidewinder wireless-N dongle can also use the cheaper CDRKing ones... just make sure you get the same chipset models.

As for WDTV Live streaming options, does this only work on the most current model releases or can work on the Gen1 or Gen2 models? Also, the 1080p streaming can be done on wireless mode without problems?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM »
Is there a way to arrange the files by time? This is how I normally watch content rather than file type or name.

Go to Sort & Filter > Sorting > Date.  I haven't tested if the option also recognizes time in addition to date.

See page 62 of the manual: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #40 on: Jul 14, 2012 at 06:33 PM »
This thread has been dead for quite some time but i was curious about a few things re:wd tv live.  I'm an owner of the more"jurassic" wd hd media player and there are times that i need to switch between stereo audio output or digital audio output to be able to hear sound through my a/v receiver.  I know that this is most probably due to the torrent i downloaded but i wanted to save myself the trouble of having to switch manually. Also, i depend a lot on my network drive and i believe the wd tv live can play my movies saved in my network so that saves me the trouble of transferring files from a pc to a thumb drive. So my question now is:

1.  Can it switch from stereo to digital automatically?
2.  When it does output digital audio, is the wd tv live capable of delivering 5.1/7.1?

I am fairly new in the HT category so i probably dont even understand my own 2nd question, injustvwantbto be able to maximize my HT.  May mga file kasi na digital ang signal pero na downgrade to 2.0 stereo. But this is probably me not knowing what correct setting i should use.  All i know is that when i get lucky, i get to watch my downloaded 720/1080p movies in 5.1 surround sound when i select the digital audio setting.

I hope someone out there cam help me.

THANKS
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline rukawakaide1721

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 14, 2012 at 07:07 PM »
WD Live Streaming owner here....

I am very much happy and satisfied with it....

the video/audio of mine is connected to my AVR via HDMI

WDTv live - (IN) AVR (OUT) - TV; the video plays to my TV and the audio outs to my 5.1 set up...

upgraded mine into the latest 1.09.10

Version 1.09.10:
Resolved Issues:
• Supports AceTrax Movies content streaming service (UK and select European countries).
• Supports maxdome videos on demand service (Germany only).
• Supports SlingPlayer live TV streaming service.
• Supports ABC iview content streaming service (Australia only).
• Supports VUDU Movies in Mexico.
• Supports Launchpad by Flingo web videos.
• Supports Red Bull TV sports streaming service.
• Supports BILD.de. (Germany Only)
• Supports AOL HD web videos streaming service.
• Supports Sleep Timer Feature during local playback.
• Updated YouTube Leanback to new version.
• Resolved playing ISO files with HDMI match video framerate ON causes reboot.
• Resolved resuming ISO files with HDMI match video framerate ON causes reboot.
• Resolved several user interface and translation issues.
• Resolved issue RSS Web GUI issue cannot move feeds by dragging.
• Resolved TV not automatically engaging or disengaging 3D after successful 3D playback in VUDU
Movies.
General Info
• Note: Known issue with YouTube Leanback some users may experience loss of login
credentials.
Happiness is a choice....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM »
This thread has been dead for quite some time but i was curious about a few things re:wd tv live.  I'm an owner of the more"jurassic" wd hd media player and there are times that i need to switch between stereo audio output or digital audio output to be able to hear sound through my a/v receiver.  

Preliminary questions:

1.  What WD TV player version do you have?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV#Models

2.  What connections did you make from the WD TV unit (out) to the AV Receiver (in)?

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM by barrister »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 15, 2012 at 07:28 AM »
Preliminary questions:

1.  What WD TV player version do you have?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV#Models

2.  What connections did you make from the WD TV unit (out) to the AV Receiver (in)?

I've owned it since the summer of 2009, so my guess is 2nd gen. When i hit about it tells me wd tv hd media player fw version 1.02.07.

I connect via hdmi 1.3 to a pioneer receiver then hdmi out to an LG TV.

When there is no sound using digital setting the pioneer displays mpeg-2-aac. When i switch to stereo, magically it plays the sound and the pioneer display says stereo. The few times that i was able to play digital the pioneer displays dolby digital.

PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 15, 2012 at 07:31 AM »

I've owned it since the summer of 2009, so my guess is 2nd gen. When i hit about it tells me wd tv hd media player fw version 1.02.07.

When there is no sound using digital setting the pioneer displays mpeg-2-aac. When i switch to stereo, magically it plays the sound and the pioneer display says stereo. The few times that i was able to play digital the pioneer displays dolby digital.

Phisically my wd tv hd media player looks exactly like this:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16565

PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 16, 2012 at 09:55 AM »

Latest firmware of the Gen. 2 is 1.01.77 --  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_hd

Since you have firmware 1.02.07, then your unit is a Gen. 1 -- http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

It's been a long time since I had a Gen. 1, but if  I recall correctly, the STEREO audio setting is for analog sound; HDMI setting is for digital sound.  So if your connection is via HDMI only --- you will have no sound on STEREO audio setting, but will have sound on DIGITAL audio setting.

If you have sound even on STEREO audio setting, how does the analog audio pass when the WD is set to STEREO?  Do you also have an analog audio connection via RCA, connected simultaneously with the HDMI?

If you have both HDMI and RCA connections, remove the RCA audio connections and test it.  The simultaneous connection might be confusing the unit as to which output should be prioritized.

If you still have problems, you might have firmware errors.  If so, you need to reset the device, or flash your firmware.  I recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, since the unit should have its version's final firmware anyway.

See the Release Notes for the firmware installation procedure:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM by barrister »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 16, 2012 at 05:47 PM »
Latest firmware of the Gen. 2 is 1.01.77 --  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_hd

Since you have firmware 1.02.07, then your unit is a Gen. 1 -- http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

It's been a long time since I had a Gen. 1, but if  I recall correctly, the STEREO audio setting is for analog sound; HDMI setting is for digital sound.  So if your connection is via HDMI only --- you will have no sound on STEREO audio setting, but will have sound on DIGITAL audio setting.

If you have sound even on STEREO audio setting, how does the analog audio pass when the WD is set to STEREO?  Do you also have an analog audio connection via RCA, connected simultaneously with the HDMI?

If you have both HDMI and RCA connections, remove the RCA audio connections and test it.  The simultaneous connection might be confusing the unit as to which output should be prioritized.

If you still have problems, you might have firmware errors.  If so, you need to reset the device, or flash your firmware.  I recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, since the unit should have its version's final firmware anyway.

See the Release Notes for the firmware installation procedure:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

I think i will choose to do the latter, i only have an hdmi connection, i removed my rca connections when i upgraded my tv. Thanks sa tip, will try and update this thread if i secced.:-)
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM »

I think i will choose to do the latter, i only have an hdmi connection, i removed my rca connections when i upgraded my tv. Thanks sa tip, will try and update this thread if i succeed.:-)

And after a FW update..I still encounter the same problem...lol, I guess its with the way the file I downloaded was configured...Next time I'll just look for 5.1 torrents, those seem to work just fine...
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM »
And after a FW update..I still encounter the same problem...lol, I guess its with the way the file I downloaded was configured...Next time I'll just look for 5.1 torrents, those seem to work just fine...

Well at least you've eliminated firmware error as a possible source of the problem.

You said the receiver says "mpeg-2-aac" when the WD is set to DIGITAL and there is no sound, but there is sound when you set the WD to STEREO mode.  The WD Gen. 1 manual says it's compatible with AAC audio format only in STEREO mode, so I guess that's it.  I thought the STEREO mode only applied to analog audio, but I guess not, since you said you only have HDMI and no analog audio connections.

(Note: "AAC" and "MPEG-2 AAC" are synonymous.  MPEG-4 AAC is an extended version of MPEG-2 AAC.)

You should try to avoid AAC format.  That's what I do, because on the new WD, I notice that AAC audio gives me some annoying pops and clicks when I skip the video forward or backward, so if the title I want is only available in AAC, I convert the audio to MP3.  AAC is a good format, but it's not yet a mature format, that's why AAC issues are inevitable at this stage.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM by barrister »

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM »
 The WD Gen. 1 manual says it's compatible with AAC audio format only in STEREO mode, so I guess that's it.  I thought the STEREO mode only applied to analog audio, but I guess not, since you said you only have HDMI and no analog audio connections.

(Note: "AAC" and "MPEG-2 AAC" are synonymous.  MPEG-4 AAC is an extended version of MPEG-2 AAC.)

You should try to avoid AAC format.  That's what I do, because on the new WD, I notice that AAC audio gives me some annoying pops and clicks when I skip the video forward or backward, so if the title I want is only available in AAC, I convert the audio to MP3.  AAC is a good format, but it's not yet a mature format, that's why AAC issues are inevitable at this stage.

Aha! I guess you answered my question afterall, I couldn't find that info in the manual, or to be honest, I was probably speed reading the manual too much that I missed that detail! Lol! if the 1st Gen WD can only understand AAC in stero then i think its a fair conclusion that you are right.

and on oyur side note, yes, I sincerely think these AAC formats are a pain in the arse and I will take your suggestion that I should avoid them  ;D

Thank you, this helped a lot!
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 05:17 PM »
WD Live Streaming owner here....

I am very much happy and satisfied with it....

the video/audio of mine is connected to my AVR via HDMI

WDTv live - (IN) AVR (OUT) - TV; the video plays to my TV and the audio outs to my 5.1 set up...

upgraded mine into the latest 1.09.10

Version 1.09.10:
Resolved Issues:
• Supports AceTrax Movies content streaming service (UK and select European countries).
• Supports maxdome videos on demand service (Germany only).
• Supports SlingPlayer live TV streaming service.
• Supports ABC iview content streaming service (Australia only).
• Supports VUDU Movies in Mexico.
• Supports Launchpad by Flingo web videos.
• Supports Red Bull TV sports streaming service.
• Supports BILD.de. (Germany Only)
• Supports AOL HD web videos streaming service.
• Supports Sleep Timer Feature during local playback.
• Updated YouTube Leanback to new version.
• Resolved playing ISO files with HDMI match video framerate ON causes reboot.
• Resolved resuming ISO files with HDMI match video framerate ON causes reboot.
• Resolved several user interface and translation issues.
• Resolved issue RSS Web GUI issue cannot move feeds by dragging.
• Resolved TV not automatically engaging or disengaging 3D after successful 3D playback in VUDU
Movies.
General Info
• Note: Known issue with YouTube Leanback some users may experience loss of login
credentials.

I have one last question regarding the WD TV Live streaming, If I connect an external hard drive to the WD TV Live, is it possible to access the files in that said drive using my PS3 in another room? in short, will the WDTV Live function as some sort of NAS drive.  I was going through the forums at western digital and there are mixed answers so I am quite confused or I think the better term would be unsure, if i could test the unit at the store that would be great but I doubt if any merchant would allow me to do such a stunt, hehe.  Hopefully someone can help me out because I saw one available at a very affordable price of P4,200.  I certainly hope its possible...
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 09:15 PM »
I am still using WDTV Gen 1. Am playing a lot of 720p mkv movies in AAC (2ch) audio format. Am using Digital Audio out using Optical cable to an HTIB. I don't have any audio problem, even the pop as described here. Have set my HTIB to PLII simulated 5.1. I don't have any complain on the sound quality.

What this WDTV Gen 1 can't play is AAC (5.1 ch) audio. No sound would come out of it. In this case, you have to convert the audio to AC3 (5.1 ch) instead.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM »
What this WDTV Gen 1 can't play is AAC (5.1 ch) audio. No sound would come out of it. In this case, you have to convert the audio to AC3 (5.1 ch) instead.

Now this i would have to say i did not think of, converting to AC3 for the 5.1ch output..
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 07:39 PM »
Now this i would have to say i did not think of, converting to AC3 for the 5.1ch output..

Use "avidemux 2.5". Set to Video - Copy, Audio - AC3 (Aften), Format - MKV. Then File - Save Video. Easy.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #54 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM »
this is weird, lately ive been getting errors on my wdtv live streaming gen when watching stuff...

it started with suits pilot episode.. then yung london olympics (which got fixed i dunno how) then now beijing olympics..

this error:

anybody experienced this?

this is weird, kasi sa computer it plays with vlc... i will check if it will play with wdtv live.

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM »
this is weird, lately ive been getting errors on my wdtv live streaming gen when watching stuff...

it started with suits pilot episode.. then yung london olympics (which got fixed i dunno how) then now beijing olympics..

this error:

anybody experienced this?

this is weird, kasi sa computer it plays with vlc... i will check if it will play with wdtv live.

I'm assuming this is a type of file you were able to play before and suddenly refused to work. Fw is at its latest version? And is it just this particular one that refuses to work while others with the same file type works perfectly fine?
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM »

What we need to know are the specs of the video file in question.  

The program content is immaterial, whether it's a TV pilot or a Cubao Olympics, or "stuff."

In the meantime, try browsing this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Unable-to-play-the-selected-file/idi-p/288730

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM by barrister »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
I'm assuming this is a type of file you were able to play before and suddenly refused to work. Fw is at its latest version? And is it just this particular one that refuses to work while others with the same file type works perfectly fine?

yup... for suits episode 1, i was forced to download a version with much lower bitrate just for the sake of starting and watching the series..

for the london olympics, i dunno how it played, but after transferring about 5x it finally played

as for the beijing olympics im still trying to research..

atty barrister, i did read that thread yesterday, but there were no clear solution.. i did try to restart the device, pero ayaw parin..

ive read in some other thread na kelangan daw i disable ang header compression or demux the vid.. ive yet to do that..

on a side note, it will make the file 0 bytes after it says it wont play it.... thats what ive noticed upon checking using the PC.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM »

ive read in some other thread na kelangan daw i disable ang header compression or demux the vid.. ive yet to do that..

No, that's not it.  The 1st Gen WDTV was the only model that had header compression problems. 

You still haven't told us the specs of the video file.

At least tell us if it's an mkv.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:55 PM by barrister »

Offline Waxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM »
interestingly.. it wont also play sa wdtv live. and yes 0 bytes din sya after.. so im guessing its a file incompatibility issue nga.. coz pc plays it well..

have to do more research on this..

You still haven't told us the specs of the video file.

At least tell us if it's an mkv.

yes atty.. its mkv.. beijing olympics opening..  will check further on the mkv details.